• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ninja Theory on DMC reboot: "we're not pretending we're Japanese, or apologising for it"

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
I see that now. I am sorry - but i guess that means nothing now.

I am honestly very ****ed off at people constantly telling me to accept things their way.
and you shouldn't have to accept things other people's way, that is why i hope everyone takes what i said seriously, because i really want this forum to be unified. i know everyone has a different opinion, and i don't want everyone to think the same thing that's not what i mean, but i just would like everyone to be friendly with one another and stop tearing each other to shreds with arguements and what not. anyway..
back on topic: i think ninja theory should just talk about the actual elements of their game from now on, so people won't be offended.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
okay guys sorry for misinterpreting , but we have to remember that tameem already insulted japanese games when he mentioned bayonetta
but overall i guess i overreacted
but really using the hair as an example was annoying that is like asking why was my ancestors hair brown because that is why mine is so how did brown hair get into my family
and the answer is WHO REALLY CARES?
I mean if you guys are going to explain every last detail you might as well explain why some strands of hair are longer than others
and why dante's power doesn't allow him to see air

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
and you shouldn't have to accept things other people's way, that is why i hope everyone takes what i said seriously, because i really want this forum to be unified. i know everyone has a different opinion, and i don't want everyone to think the same thing that's not what i mean, but i just would like everyone to be friendly with one another and stop tearing each other to shreds with arguements and what not. anyway..
back on topic: i think ninja theory should just talk about the actual elements of their game from now on, so people won't be offended.
Sounds good. And i agree. I am really surprised about the statements.

Pale Rider

Wickedly good

Again? Seriously? After all your preachings?

When I said I read some insults, I didn't mean those insults were on me. I WASN'T OFFENDED AT AT ALL. I just interpreted in a way that might not be the actual thing NT wanted to say.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
Again? Seriously? After all your preachings?

When I said I read some insults, I didn't mean those insults were on me. I WASN'T OFFENDED AT AT ALL. I just interpreted in a way that might not be the actual thing NT wanted to say.
wait what do you mean seriously?
and okay, but some people were offended and those are the people i was talking about.

Tiran

The great pretender.
How is this not interesting ?
in only a few sentences Tameem just insulted Nintendo,Capcom (who are fine as long as they get money), parts of SEGA,and Konami. He insulted the very thing that saved what the west nearly destroyed in 1983
and while I love western games like halo , We would not even be discussing video games like devil may cry right now if it weren't for the very game kind he just insulted let me put it this way Japan fixed gaming after we turned
Pac_flyer.png
into
PacMan2600box.jpg
He only compared the western approach to the eastern one. That is all. This is why I didn't want this article to be blown up. He's saying' This is the way they do it, this the way we do it.' Why is every expression of independence an insult to people?!

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
^ Is it just me or did the whole "frat-boy disaster" part of the question up there seem a little...leading?

Domenic93

I can't believed they just said that they were surpirsed by the backlash since they think Dante "looked like a frat-boy disaster from the past" you'd think they would have learned by now. and they were doing.... ok with their PR recently

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I can't believed they just said that they were surpirsed by the backlash since they think Dante "looked like a frat-boy disaster from the past" you'd think they would have learned by now. and they were doing.... ok with their PR recently
I probably misread the article but I thought it was the interviewer saying the frat-boy bit, not NT?

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Yeah, the interviewer is red... I would just like to say sorry for the quality... it's like creating frankenstein's monster... stitching all of the pieces together

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
No offense but i like japanese games 100x better than any western games out there and i like japanese characters 100x than any western characters.
Why does dante have white hair?Why don't you marathon the whole series again.
If you want to look the game more western then fine.But don't forget that this reboot will not exist if DMC don't exist and DMC will not exist without hideki kamiya a japanese.I'll still buy this thing though since this is still a devil may cry game.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Is DmC a new serie? Because i find it weird what it is.

In one perspective it's called DmC - Devil May Cry. It has a character named Dante but is not DMC Dante. And it's not tied to DMC games (DMC serie) at all.

In another pespective Tameem speaks of DmC Dante as if he's DMC Dante, and DmC as if it's tied to DMC games when it's not.

Because DmC is not part of DMC games - the DMC serie. Even the abbrevation logo stands out.
Let's say DmC 2, 3 and 4 comes. Will you then call DMC 1, 2, 3,4 and DmC 1,2,3,4 for "DMC serie" despite them being different games?

If the character and story of DmC wasn't versions of DMC, wouldn't that simply make it a hack and slash game?

The story of DmC is not the same as DMC.
The character of DmC is not the same as DMC.
DmC is only a game that uses ideas and concepts from DMC.

So what makes it "DMC"? That the gameplay is similar? Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed gameplay is similar but they are two different series.

Vezild

Taking Back Lordran One Boss At a Time
okay guys sorry for misinterpreting , but we have to remember that tameem already insulted japanese games when he mentioned bayonetta
but overall i guess i overreacted
but really using the hair as an example was annoying that is like asking why was my ancestors hair brown because that is why mine is so how did brown hair get into my family
and the answer is WHO REALLY CARES?
I mean if you guys are going to explain every last detail you might as well explain why some strands of hair are longer than others
and why dante's power doesn't allow him to see air

Dude...have you SEEN Cloud Strife's hair??? It's not about geneology. You can't have hair like that naturally, unless you were in a Japanese game/manga/anime.

In one perspective it's called DmC - Devil May Cry. It has a character named Dante but is not DMC Dante. And it's not tied to DMC games (DMC serie) at all.

In another pespective Tameem speaks of DmC Dante as if he's DMC Dante, and DmC as if it's tied to DMC games when it's not.

Because DmC is not part of DMC games - the DMC serie. Even the abbrevation logo stands out.
Let's say DmC 2, 3 and 4 comes. Will you then call DMC 1, 2, 3,4 and DmC 1,2,3,4 for "DMC serie" despite them being different games?

If the character and story of DmC wasn't versions of DMC, wouldn't that simply make it a hack and slash game?

So what makes it "DMC"? That the gameplay is similar? Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed gameplay is similar but they are two different series.

You see, does every hack and slash game have the style, attitude, and difficulty of the Devil May Cry series? No, no they don't. That' what makes DMC unique.
Like what you said about Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed: the gameplay is very similar but PoP's story (because the story is very SPECIFIC) and AC's story (because you can't have an animus in PoP) are very very different. Which is one of the main differences.
The original series and DmC have the gameplay and style in common, which is one of the main things that make it Devil May Cry.

On calling DmC Dante DMC Dante, what do you mean? I never understood what you mean...because DMC (pronounced Dee-Em-See) is a way of saying Devil May Cry, so that could lead to a misunderstanding.
And DmC IS part of the series GAMEPLAY wise anyway. Yes, the story is different. And, yeah, it may not be as good as the rest (who knows because we haven't played it). And, sure, many may not like the changes. But it is still Devil May Cry at the 'core' (as in gameplay) so it should be considered part of the series, for better or for worse.
Now, if you mean why call neoDante Dante, well, imagine if we called some guy named Juan, Juan 2?

Ana

But! But---!

I don't want all my video games to look like movies....!!

I don't want your lousy functionality! From what angle are leather trench coats functional? But it wouldn't be the Matrix without them! Why is Iron Man's armor red and yellow? Because it's cool-looking! I want cool! I want fun!

Waaah......

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat

Very good point.
If this game gets sequels, maybe they'll be called 6, 7, and 8?
But that would be a disaster.
Maybe they will be named DmC2, DmC3, and DmC4. That would also be a disaster, because it would kind of mix up with the original series.

IF this game gets sequels at all, I can see them being named "Episode 2/3/4", having Roman numerals in the place of numbers, or being named the way expansion packs and indirect sequels are (Brotherhood, Revelations, Infinite, San Andreas, Nightfall, etc. etc.)

And if it counts, I see these two Dantes as two sides of the same coin.
DmC and DMC3 Dante will both grow up to be badasses, won't they?

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
And if it counts, I see these two Dantes as two sides of the same coin.
i think this is a perfect way to describe new dante's connection to original dante. each side is different, but its still apart of the same coin, kudos to you kenken for such a well thought out metaphor.

ImPoSsSibLe to CaTcH

OMG Alex Jones and his white hair lessons again. How come he never forgets to mention that white hair, white hair, white hair this ain't the problem mr. Jones the problem is you guys YOU and Ninja Theory you're too incompetent and you obviously can't handle a game of DMC's size now shut up and go buy yourself a white wig.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
ok i have to admit alex jones does talk about the hair too much. we know alex, the hair is gonna be explained in the story lol now let's move on

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Dude...have you SEEN Cloud Strife's hair??? It's not about geneology. You can't have hair like that naturally, unless you were in a Japanese game/manga/anime.

You see, does every hack and slash game have the style, attitude, and difficulty of the Devil May Cry series? No, no they don't. That' what makes DMC unique.
Like what you said about Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed: the gameplay is very similar but PoP's story (because the story is very SPECIFIC) and AC's story (because you can't have an animus in PoP) are very very different. Which is one of the main differences.
The original series and DmC have the gameplay and style in common, which is one of the main things that make it Devil May Cry.

On calling DmC Dante DMC Dante, what do you mean? I never understood what you mean...because DMC (pronounced Dee-Em-See) is a way of saying Devil May Cry, so that could lead to a misunderstanding.
And DmC IS part of the series GAMEPLAY wise anyway. Yes, the story is different. And, yeah, it may not be as good as the rest (who knows because we haven't played it). And, sure, many may not like the changes. But it is still Devil May Cry at the 'core' (as in gameplay) so it should be considered part of the series, for better or for worse.
Now, if you mean why call neoDante Dante, well, imagine if we called some guy named Juan, Juan 2?
But the gameplay in PoP and AC is very similar. Just like DmC and DMC.

The story in DmC is not the same as DMC. The reason why DmC has so many DMC ideas is because DmC is a new game that uses ideas from DMC.

The character of DmC is not DMC Dante. DmC character is a Dante made by Ninja theory.

So what DmC and DMC has in common is gameplay.
But like i pointed out so does AC and PoP. But despite that they are two different series.

You see, does every hack and slash game have the style, attitude, and difficulty of the Devil May Cry series?
Bayonetta and Darksiders. And they are both pretty new series. DMC serie has been around for 11 years now.

Top Bottom