• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New Vergil or Devil May Cry 3 Vergil?

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
A bit late to the party at this point, but definitely old vergil, for a number of reasons. Excluding the usual reasons (animations, boss fight mechanics, etc) I actually really like how they handled dante's last moments with vergil. Vergil loses to dante, and in his last moments reveals a softer side before banishing himself. Afterwards the leading lady steps in to offer comfort in the way that dante needs most. The core of this scene is the exact same in both games, but I like the way it was handled in DMC infinitely better. Instead of the wall of text I had planned, it's probably a lot easier to just post the relevant clips side by side

(DmC) Vergil's Goodbye + Kat comforts dante with reassuring words
(DMC) Vergil's Goodbye
(DMC) Lady awkwardly names Dante's shop and then comforts him with bullets

Instead of actually saying the words "I loved you" vergil stabs dante in the hand. But it was a gentle stabbing, which by vergil's standards is actually kind of sweet of him

Blue_Rose

One way to get yourself shot
A bit late to the party at this point
But this party's gettin' crazy! Let's rock!

, but definitely old vergil, for a number of reasons. Excluding the usual reasons (animations, boss fight mechanics, etc) I actually really like how they handled dante's last moments with vergil. Vergil loses to dante, and in his last moments reveals a softer side before banishing himself. Afterwards the leading lady steps in to offer comfort in the way that dante needs most. The core of this scene is the exact same in both games, but I like the way it was handled in DMC infinitely better. Instead of the wall of text I had planned, it's probably a lot easier to just post the relevant clips side by side

(DmC) Vergil's Goodbye + Kat comforts dante with reassuring words
(DMC) Vergil's Goodbye
(DMC) Lady awkwardly names Dante's shop and then comforts him with bullets

Instead of actually saying the words "I loved you" vergil stabs dante in the hand. But it was a gentle stabbing, which by vergil's standards is actually kind of sweet of him
I agree with you but you can't blame Vergil's defeat in DmC for not being emotional as DMC3. The end of DMC3 was the last we'd see of Vergil and we all know what would happen to him next. As for DmC Vergil, we knew he'd come back as an antagonist if there's ever a sequel. So we could save the emotional goodbye for his death or redemption.

But seriously, DMC Vergil's fate was so tragic. He was a great character and we should've seen more of him. Then he's Nelo Angelo'd by Mundus and then Dante kills him without so much of a word. Seriously, his last words to him were, "A man with guts and honor. I like that. It's a shame you serve Mundus."

Blue_Rose

To be honest, I agree with kam about the last Dante/vergil interaction. I just like it better than the DmC version.
Yep. The only thing that made me feel emotional in DmC was Kat getting captured and Dante being hopeless and just watching.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Ugh. I know it's personally opinion and all but, COME ON. There was about as much emotional depth in Devil May Cry as my fart.

Vergil comes in and goes out as nothing but a generic polar opposite evil twin for Dante. A simple power hungry villain.

I'm not saying DmC's Vergil was like the epitome of amazing characters but even a character not so great as DmC's Vergil just highlights how much of a weaker character his original counterpart was.

Vergil was never shown getting any development and all this character analysis is based on nothing but your head canons. Until a good writer actually comes along and fills in what Vergil is lacking, he will and always will be, a generic one dimensional villain.

DMC's writers were absolute garbage. Without thinking in 3 they completely disregarded and contradicted the original canon which anyone with common sense would learn to NOT freaking do if you're trying to make a continuity. And all they added after Kamiya left was a continuity mess with plot holes and generic anime stereotypes that have been done so many times before.

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE playing DMC 3. I seem to be one of the few on this forum that's favorite game in the series is STILL the first game. But I won't BS you about what was wrong with DMC simply on a story level.

At least in DmC you saw Vergil get way more of a personality than the original ever got outside of being a shallow Sesshomaru and even though everyone knew he would be an eventual antagonist (because we know it's still freaking Devil May Cry) he didn't want to fight Dante. Neither of them did. The original stabs him twice just being the pr!ck he is while the new one genuinely cared for his brother. There was a brotherly bond that developed. You're given his motivations and feelings through actual character development and better voice performances.

DMC 3 Vergil is just like well, I'm power hungry and sh!t because demonic power is rad and sh!t happens. Roll with it, you need a final boss at the end of this somehow.

Last edited:

The Final Offer

Really you have to look at DMC as a whole. Everyone states plot holes or the time line as being problems. Most people take dialogue and character emotion and base their points around it. You have to overlook the inconsistencies. In the nicest possible way, for the most part all we have to go on are our own theories.

Devil May Cry has never really given us full proof facts. We have to understand that everyone has the right to further interpret story elements as not everything is or will be fully explained.

I really don't know why the most factual post in this thread hasn't gotten many likes.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
DMC's writers were absolute garbage. Without thinking in 3 they completely disregarded and contradicted the original canon which anyone with common sense would learn to NOT freaking do if you're trying to make a continuity. And all they added after Kamiya left was a continuity mess with plot holes and generic anime stereotypes that have been done so many times before.
Good luck getting that point across in a DMC vs DmC thread. Nobody wants to hear it, much less admit it.

Kam

But this party's gettin' crazy! Let's rock!

I agree with you but you can't blame Vergil's defeat in DmC for not being emotional as DMC3. The end of DMC3 was the last we'd see of Vergil and we all know what would happen to him next. As for DmC Vergil, we knew he'd come back as an antagonist if there's ever a sequel. So we could save the emotional goodbye for his death or redemption.

But seriously, DMC Vergil's fate was so tragic. He was a great character and we should've seen more of him. Then he's Nelo Angelo'd by Mundus and then Dante kills him without so much of a word. Seriously, his last words to him were, "A man with guts and honor. I like that. It's a shame you serve Mundus."

Even brainwashed and soul shackled into demonic armor, mundus couldn't exert enough control over vergil to make him sucker punch a worthy foe with his back turned. I've gotten over a lot of the beef I had with DmC at launch, but something about watching new vergil shoot a pregnant woman from behind makes me die a little inside

Kam

Good luck getting that point across in a DMC vs DmC thread. Nobody wants to hear it, much less admit it.

Poor Chancey. Trying to put the Band-Aid of Reason over the bulging Tumor of Mindless Nostalgia.

Foolishness, Chancey....foolishness.

This talk of plot holes is interesting to me. Let's talk about those -- what are your favorite DMC plotholes? I'm assuming you actually know of a few, and you aren't just trying to stir **** up because you've all been arguing about vergil for 7 pages?

Or should we make a new topic for plot holes?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Even brainwashed and soul shackled into demonic armor, mundus couldn't exert enough control over vergil to make him sucker punch a worthy foe with his back turned. I've gotten over a lot of the beef I had with DmC at launch, but something about watching new vergil shoot a pregnant woman from behind makes me die a little inside
Oh Vergil, so honorable right? That's why he'll stab a partner in the back once he feels they aren't needed anymore and he'll test a new weapon out on the corpse of a fallen foe. Might as well p!ss on him Veegee.

And so what if he shot preggo Pete Burns? He had reason to because it was another step in bringing down Mundus and she was freaking carrying demonic baby Hitler in there! Just in the previous level that ugly son of a b!tch tried to kill Dante.

You wanna bring down the house? Pull the nails from the foundation and watch it fall.

And why the sympathy for that f@cking thing? You wouldn't take a shot to destroy something that will inevitably have humanity enslaved just because you feel sorry? Yea, watch that go over well when humanity's bending over and taking demonic rule like a b!tch and you can be that guy to explain to everyone how you could have stopped it. :meh:

Blue_Rose

I only wish one day for them to be Shakespearian. :rolleyes:
If Dante can do it, then you can too.
This talk of plot holes is interesting to me. Let's talk about those -- what are your favorite DMC plotholes? I'm assuming you actually know of a few, and you aren't just trying to stir **** up because you've all been arguing about vergil for 7 pages?

Or should we make a new topic for plot holes?
Yes! So I can rant about Nero more! The POWA!!!!

Top Bottom