• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New DmC Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrysander

I've merely decided to quote your post in particular because I like the way in which you've clearly thought out your reasoning behind your opinion of the game at this early stage. Not because I wish to argue with you about such a thing, as I believe we can have a mature discussion about such things. So I will agree and disagree somewhat to the points that you've made to whatever extent I think I should. What I feel from what you're saying is that clearly this new trailer does not show us the same fast paced and stylish game-play in which the other Devil May Cry games managed to deliver us. But what you aren't saying is that the game-play itself is awful, therefore it still has its good points I believe. So despite it not being on par with previous Devil May Cry titles, I don't think you take your negative points to the point in which you feel the thing as a whole is atrocious. I could be wrong, but in my opinion the trailer shows quite an interesting enough game to want to spend some time on. Perhaps not as worthy as other DMC titles, as I said before, but we could just call this Devil May Cry 2 all over again. I think at this early stage, it's too small to tell whether that'll ultimately be the case. Since it's still in its early production, we could still give it a chance. I think you're a mature and open minded enough person to be willing to do that. So I don't think we should give up hope yet that this won't deliver us something interesting. And even if when it comes to the final product, when it's on your TV screen and the game-play still does not satisfy you as much as you had wished, then perhaps hopefully the story will be enough to persuade you that it is a worthy enough addition to the Devil May Cry Franchise. I guess what I'm saying really is that it's too early to make a vast judgement, but we are here to simply judge what we have witnessed from this new trailer to date, and your judgement is very much significant to the overall fanbase response of this game. Thank you for posting your opinion, it has given me something to work off from in order to clear up my understandings towards negative and positive responses towards this.
Well the trouble is, mediocre won't do it. You've got DMC3 and Bayonetta sitting there, and you've got to top them, or at least compete. By making something which is only playable, and not a masterpiece, it's not good enough. Even forgetting Bayonetta, you've still got DMC3 to beat, so they should start with DMC3, and aim to do more. This doesn't look like it will do it. I played DMC4 through once, and then went straight back to DMC3 because it's a superior game. I am not interested in putting time into something which doesn't have a system equal to or better than 3's.

Ultimately, this is DMC, and I have a high standard for it, because a high standard has been set.

I'm happy to wait for more, I'm not going to ignore or boycott the game at this stage, there's still time for them to show something new and interesting, sure.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Well the trouble is, mediocre won't do it. You've got DMC3 and Bayonetta sitting there, and you've got to top them, or at least compete. By making something which is only playable, and not a masterpiece, it's not good enough. Even forgetting Bayonetta, you've still got DMC3 to beat, so they should start with DMC3, and aim to do more. This doesn't look like it will do it. I played DMC4 through once, and then went straight back to DMC3 because it's a superior game. I am not interested in putting time into something which doesn't have a system equal to or better than 3's.

Ultimately, this is DMC, and I have a high standard for it, because a high standard has been set.

I'm happy to wait for more, I'm not going to ignore or boycott the game at this stage, there's still time for them to show something new and interesting, sure.

Yeah I completely understand the points you're trying to make and can clearly see where you are coming from. It's nice to see that people like yourself are still going to be open minded about it. I guess for some, mediocre and merely playable will suffice, whereas for others it simply won't do. I mean with anything like this there is going to be differences in interests towards the game-play of a game. Personally, I'll play it if it is on par with Devil May Cry 3, like you've said. But if it isn't, I'll probably run through it and complete it but will probably just let it gather dust afterwards. I guess we'll wait and see how it turns out at later stages of development when they have newer things to show us though.

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
I don't know, maybe its because of the song playing in the trailer, but I thought it was alright so far...which is much, much more than what I previously expected, which was absolute crap. I despised this game since its inception, but now....I'm just between cautiously optimistic and cautiously pessimistic about it. The trailer had no dialog...which was a slight buzzkill. However I did like how Dante hair turned white in a SSJ-esque way, which now makes me curious about the story a bit. Upon closer exception, the gameplay does look a bit...rough but the way they pieced the trailer together made it looks pretty damn badass thats for sure. I do like how Dante isn't looking like a crackhead version of Tameem now, but now he looks like a cross between Cole from iNfamous and Alex Mercer from Prototype with a pseudo-mohawk.

Eh, I don't know what to think anymore...I'm probably going on a media blackout on this game. lol

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Gaming magazines do say that modern day Capcom will not better or match DMC3.
I have to agree with this. I doubt DmC is going to outshine DMC3 and it would be unrealistic to have the expectation that it will because 1.) it's a REBOOT, and 2.) it's a REBOOT.
When in the history of gaming has a reboot EVER outed the original series? There will always be a divide between fans of the franchise who prefer the former games, and those who still feel they ought to remain loyal to the 'hero' of the universe, reboot or not. Some will like the new direction of the game, some won't.
I think it's absolutely ridiculous and pointless for anyone to want to judge DmC on the level of DMC3. This isn't Bayonetta, which rightly was able to be criticised and compared to the DMC series because the creator of DMC was at the wheel.
This is a reboot, tackled by a new company that haven't been working on the series for the past 10 years, whose strengths are opposite to the strengths of the former game devs, all of which will result in a game that may not outdo the legendary DMC3, but like DMC3 and Bayonetta, it will set a new bar in the hack'n'slash category akin to the originals.
I think the sooner people realise that the goal of the game isn't to be better than DMC3 but to be put on it's own rightfully earned pedostole right alongside it, the sooner the negativity will fade and people will stick to what they fancy best. /end mindfart

Anyway.
I love the new trailer!
With the writing on the walls (XDD lol...sorry, writer humour creeping in there) my first thought was 'The Matrix'. Which would be friggin awesome if you consider NT did say that the story takes place in an alternate universe.
I also got a vague impression of the movie Inception when the ground started rising up and the buildings started to change.

The gameplay looks DMC enough for me, the scenery reminds me of Fortuna-city-meets-UK, the demons look wicked, the music fits the atmosphere. All in all I think this game has it made, especially if it's still only in early development (which makes me want to hemorrhage - beyond all the lies is there any truth?!?! o_O)
The only issue I have is getting used to Dante's hairstyle. So not liking it. Might look better in blonde....actually, it will probably look just as silly.

I do like the flash of him with his blonde hair. Not exactly Dante (he looks a bit too agro) but hey, it will do, I say.

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
I don't understand why he can't just have brown/black curtains, it looked fine on Leon.S Kennedy, I still think character's more important than hairstyle though.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
I don't know anything about game development. I haven't got a clue what early alpha-build means. (I guess that's like a rough draft?) I wasn't criticizing the quality of the trailer so much as the trailer itself. I thought it was boring. Nothing grabbed me about it at all. All I saw was a generic hack and slash with a dumb art design.

I guess what I'm saying is that I would have preferred they waited until they had something special to show. Or maybe I'm just really cynical? Although...that I already knew. ;)

Pretty much, yeah, games go through a number of phases, pre-alpha, alpha, beta, RTM and general availability.

Pre-alpha and alpha are the most basic, bare bones phases of the game, pretty much like a rough draft as you say, nothing's really been finalised, coding and software optimisation is still being worked on. Alpha more or less takes it a step further, finalising coding and features, nothing more gets added after the alpha testing is done.

Beta is usability testing, making sure everything works to a reasonable standard, and if it doesn't, the time is taken to fix it. This can involve open betas, where the game is open to the public, or through invites, that sort of thing, and closed betas are a very exclusive list of people. It's used to work out any bugs and further optimise the game.

RTM is release to marketing, ie: going gold, basically when it's being delivered to distributors, and the final phase is pretty much what it says on the tin.

At best, I'd say that video is a late alpha, early beta build of the game, which means there's still a lot more to finalise before it reaches a playable level graphically and in terms of gameplay. With any luck, we can expect something much better than what we've already seen (which is, in my opinion, already pretty damn good) in the coming months.

Crimson Devil

Swordsmaster
Ever since the debut trailer was released, my biggest concern about this reboot was how close to the other DMCs this game would be, gameplay-wise. About story and graphics, NT has never let me down before and after DMC4's disappointing story, it was good to know that there is a competent team behind DmC's plot.

Although I prefer the old dante much MUCH more, this one seems a bit mysterious... giving the development team enough resources to create an amazing plot. When they announced they were going to use Unreal Engine 3, I knew that I could count with great graphics, but framerate issues became another concern.

After watching this trailer, NT started proving me that they can make a game with a gameplay thats worth the title of DMC. Still, I got a little worried by the framerate presented... but hey, it's still pre alpha - alpha stage. There is still so many things they are going to change. Who knows they may even make Dante a little less skinny... *crossing fingers*

Anyway, it's good to see the high level of arguments in this thread mainly from the people that are not impressed by this trailer... different from that typical "I miss old Dante, I hate this game!" kind of comment...

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
this is what i've been waiting for and finally the cold, hard proof that he becomes the dante we all know so that there isn't as much complaining...i can't wait to see vergil and i REALLY hope they finally tell us once and for all if this is a reboot or prequel....i don't mind either way cuz it looks AMAZING...i definitely like the direction they took here

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
I don't really see why Capcom or Ninja Theory would want to conceal something so significant as (his hair isn't actually black it was all just a big troll) for all this time while people have been getting mega angry about it to the point of triggering mass boycott attempts because of it. I am going to say it was a very recent snap decision because they were sick of people having a strop about it so much and decided to cave.
If this actually ends up just being a prequel to 3 the whole thing is going to screw up the timeline even more than it already is saying that in 3 Dante renounced his heritige even though he already knew who he was and that he awoke his devil powers even though he has already awoken his devil powers and that his attire in 3 isn't what he is actually wearing it is part of some kind of semi-DT.

People going on about him being a twilight reject was understandable to a degree but I thought the basis of it was to do with them ripping off something that was un-dmc, not ripping off something that they personally thought was ghey. If people are going to totally ignore how dumb it is to do the exact same thing again only this time with something you might like thats total hypocrisy. Just because you might like DBZ more than Twilight doesn't give them any more of a right to rip that off instead.

Even in DMC1 when triggering didn't automaticly change your appearance they never put in anything to do with altering the colour of his hair or clothes. If it's a reboot fair enough, new story new rules (but why not just give him a normal DT?) at this point it seems they are trying to sneakily slip it into the beginning of the timeline by contradicting bits and pieces of the canon that are actually quite important.

aka958

Don't trust people
this is what i've been waiting for and finally the cold, hard proof that he becomes the dante we all know so that there isn't as much complaining...i can't wait to see vergil and i REALLY hope they finally tell us once and for all if this is a reboot or prequel....i don't mind either way cuz it looks AMAZING...i definitely like the direction they took here

No cold hard proof.

I don't get where the proof is. I can't see it. No, it was just a trailer with a few fighting scenes. .-.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
That was a long trailer for a "work in progress" game play. To be honest The beginning where Dante is walking through the city hooked me, not the game play. Also it seems their using the dark dingy lighting for this game like they did with DMC3. I never liked that dark dingy look, I prefer DMC4's vibret color, and clear ness. Also the graphics look like PS2 graphics (which I'm not knocken) I'm just saying shouldn't this game look more smooth like DMC4 is? Than again it's still in the "work in prgress stage." Also the demons look poor, like DMC2's demons. No character just hideous creatures. I'm reading to much into the lines lol.

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
^ the graphics could either be cause it's an early build, or they keep them basic to help frame rate issues, like Prince of Persia TFS.

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
Ok, after watching it like 10 times while muting the trailer music....it does look like ****. I retract my previous positives about this game. Maybe the music made me like it more than I should....

Hating until further notice.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Didn't I say people would be singing a different tune when they found out the game play is the same awesome game play from before? Didn't I???? HUH HUH HUH HUH HUH????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL! *Pats self on back* LOL

aoshi

I am impressed. Shape shifting weapon looks and think would feel good in gameplay. Chainsaws are also a good addition.Gameplay is fast paced which i like.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
I am not impressed at all really.

Just because they have gameplay "similar" to the traditional DMC gameplay does not completely win me over. And adding a DT that makes Dante look more like Dante is pretty lame IMO considering they could have made him have a red coat and white hair from the begining instead of adding a Super Saiyan form for Dante that makes him look more like he is supposed to look anyhow.

Also the graphics really are not that good at this point.

I will wait for further trailers to I completely decide whether are not this reboot is going to be as lame as I think it will be.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
It didn't overwhelm me the same way the old trailer did.

I think my biggest issue is that i dont know what this story is about other than the broad strokes they have given us so I'm hoping a story trailer is shown soon.

I didn't think it was e3 worthy because it was just work-in-progress gameplay which have been better to show at captivate rather than next to all the walkthroughs and demos but i will reserve judgement for the full product.

They got to keep re-tweaking his design because he looks a little better but i see a greater resemblance to tameem so its still a work-in-progess and im guessing its just a placeholder for dante in the early stages.

I really dont like the Dante trigger they gave but i think the reasoning is that he doesn't have full control of his powers so the aura is all he can control without him hulking out and killing everyone around him. i would have preffered the black hair dye theory i had before but i will wait and see.

Haven

Devil May Cry's a Rockin Baby!
This has made me evern more excited than the last trailer, because now we see the actual game. And it does look very similar to the original DMC gameplay, but just a little slower; which reminds me of Heavenly Sword and Enslaved a little bit. The setting reminds me of DMC 2 with a little bit of Fortuna in it, and I like the whole "their truth is a lie" thing. The music is alright and it does seem to suit this game, but I liked the song on the first trailer better. I also like the fact you get more air time in this game, it allows NT to make whole new combos (i'm pretty sure I saw an airbourne stinger attack).

Can't wait to actually play this game myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom