• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

My DmC Pro-Rant/Analysis

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
:)

thank you very much sparda's rejected son, i'm glad you enjoyed the video. and yes the stinger is faster from my comparison, which i think is pretty accurate. so thank you for taking the time to watch it. :)
But is DmC Dante's stinger faster than Nero's version??
*Dramatic background music*
P.S. You did a good job with the video so you got the high amounts of kudos you deserved. ^_^

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
Nice vid, quite superb, dear sir.

Though you forgot to add something to your Cons list.

DMC is (so far) officially discontinued, so questions and inconsistences from the original storyline will be left unanswered.
thank you very much. :) and you're right i did forget to put that. :p

ReRave

smug jerk
I'd really love to comment on it, but you used music, that the GEMA didn't approve off and now it's unwatchable in Germany.
Stupid bureaucrats...
Not even proxytube gets it open.

ReRave

smug jerk
that's great! looking forward to your feedback :)
Okay, I finished watching it and I must say, that I don't have much to add to it. I like that you took the time to compare the length of the various moves in that much detail and that you compared bigger chunks of gameplay to prove your point. Very decent work.
There's really nothing I can think of, that I'd do differently for now. You adressed the main concerns about the game, you backed it up with sources, so I gave you a thumbs up.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
Okay, I finished watching it and I must say, that I don't have much to add to it. I like that you took the time to compare the length of the various moves in that much detail and that you compared bigger chunks of gameplay to prove your point. Very decent work.
There's really nothing I can think of, that I'd do differently for now. You adressed the main concerns about the game, you backed it up with sources, so I gave you a thumbs up.
well thank you very much man, appreciate the time you took to watch it. :)
hopefully this will show people that there are good things to be said about DmC, and i hope i even inspire others to make videos with positive outlooks on DmC.

Gbraga

I don't think you really covered the main concerns about gameplay. I talked with Dahbomb and he showed concern about the lack of a lock-on limitating your moves (like for example High Time HAD to be mapped to B because you couldn't do back and Y because it would be forward Y with the auto lock on system that would lock to the enemy behind you) and the lack of just-frame mechanics, since the game is 30fps, it would either be a 2 frame link (wich may not seem like but for everyone who plays fighting games, you know that 2 frame links are WAAAAY easier than 1 frame links) or the game would have to be pretty slow compared to the other ones for you to be able to react in one frame at 30fps. If it was fast and still a 1 frame link, it would be pretty much impossible to use it at 30 fps.

Another concern is how easy it is to stay in the air, but that I won't even comment because the way I see it it's just a different take on the gameplay, not necessarily bad or good. But the other ones are valid concerns, and I'm concerned as well. But, in the other hand, it can be a concern when you think in the lines of: Ok, so the game has jump cancel, so what? You can keep attacking and you'll stay in the air anyway, what difference does that make? In previous games jump cancelling was required to stay in the air, in this one it seems like it's there just to say "look guys, we have jump cancelling back, it will be hardcore". I'd rather see they actually showing us why it is hardcore. They said multiple times that they don't care about people whining because of design changes, and yet that's all they show and talk about, show some skillful gameplay then, I'm sure at least the gameplay concerns they are interested about, since they invited a pro DMC player to play the game in their offices and provide feedback.

ReRave

smug jerk
I don't think you really covered the main concerns about gameplay. I talked with Dahbomb and he showed concern about the lack of a lock-on limitating your moves
All the moves you had to use lock-on for are in already. High Time and Stinger have been seen, so this point is moot. The moves are obviously there, we just don't know how to perform them, yet.

and the lack of just-frame mechanics, since the game is 30fps, it would either be a 2 frame link (wich may not seem like but for everyone who plays fighting games, you know that 2 frame links are WAAAAY easier than 1 frame links) or the game would have to be pretty slow compared to the other ones for you to be able to react in one frame at 30fps. If it was fast and still a 1 frame link, it would be pretty much impossible to use it at 30 fps.
That's a valid point for Beat'em Ups, but not for DMC, where even the pros didn't have to be that exact. Jump Canceling might be easier, yes, but that actually doesn't deter the quality of the game.

Another concern is how easy it is to stay in the air, but that I won't even comment because the way I see it it's just a different take on the gameplay, not necessarily bad or good.
Some argue that it's going to be too easy to perform combos, but seriously? That makes advanced players that much more creative, don't you think?

Ok, so the game has jump cancel, so what? You can keep attacking and you'll stay in the air anyway, what difference does that make? In previous games jump cancelling was required to stay in the air, in this one it seems like it's there just to say "look guys, we have jump cancelling back, it will be hardcore".
Again: If that's too easy, there's still plenty of possibilities to exploit. Seeing how some of the shown enemies have counter-measures like shields against the grapple hook, it might turn out as quite a challenge to stay in the air after all. Also, there are enemies that fight from the distance (yes, we had those before), that carry shields... How cool would it be if someone JCed, then Angel Glided to one enemy, beat him up in the air and then Angel Glided back to the enemy he just JCed to kill that guy with a helm split? It's all about style and what you deem stylish, just as in previous games.

I'd rather see they actually showing us why it is hardcore. They said multiple times that they don't care about people whining because of design changes, and yet that's all they show and talk about, show some skillful gameplay then,
They should show us that pro playing the game, I agree. Wonder what kind of feedback he gave them and whether he complained about the floaty air combat, too.

Top Bottom