• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Movies That Blew Your Mind

Meg

I actually didn't like No Country for Old Men. :unsure: Although I like Hitchcock! :D Rear Window is awesome!

ProtoTypeRaavyn

Zombie Killing Pro
Operation: Endgame
Triangle
Syncedoche: New York
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Fight Club
Alice
Postman
Toy Story 3 (Not really A kids movie)

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I haven't seen NCFOM... I've seen some Coen Brothers' films after I heard people raving about them but I wasn't overly impressed. I can see why some people like their style because it is different, but I didn't find them particularly "tense" or interesting films. "Fargo", for example... it just didn't work to me as a thriller since the 'unintentional-style' humour detracted from the plot and the plight of the characters to me - or maybe I just didn't feel as though I should care about any of the characters at all. "The Big Lebowski" as well - not sure what all the fuss is about there. I tried hard to admire them for something, but I failed to find anything outstanding... except maybe the amount of swearing broke a record or two. Those two films just didn't appeal to me at all - perhaps they were built up too much by others before I watched them, and I should have just watched them accidentally, and then I'd be less expectant.

"Rear Window" is fantastic. I think they made a remake - "Disturbia", with Shia LeBeef? I won't be watching that. Rear Window is classic tension-building stuff. I can't get enough of Hitchcock; he still outstrips so many film-makers today in his ability to keep you glued to the screen.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
Lexy;289119 said:
I haven't seen NCFOM... I've seen some Coen Brothers' films after I heard people raving about them but I wasn't overly impressed. I can see why some people like their style because it is different, but I didn't find them particularly "tense" or interesting films. "Fargo", for example... it just didn't work to me as a thriller since the 'unintentional-style' humour detracted from the plot and the plight of the characters to me - or maybe I just didn't feel as though I should care about any of the characters at all. "The Big Lebowski" as well - not sure what all the fuss is about there. I tried hard to admire them for something, but I failed to find anything outstanding... except maybe the amount of swearing broke a record or two. Those two films just didn't appeal to me at all - perhaps they were built up too much by others before I watched them, and I should have just watched them accidentally, and then I'd be less expectant.

see it.
now.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
cheezMcNASTY;289125 said:
That's the thing. Everyone says that about all their other movies. But what is it that's so great about Coen Brothers' films? Because I can't figure out what that is in the ones I have seen.

moseslmpg

NCFOM I found to be boring, slow, and just pointless. Some guy goes around killing people, just like every other movie.

I'll have to go with the Matrix personally. And maybe the Fountain. And 2001: A Space Odyssey, especially the ending. And I think many of the Pixar films, solely in terms of emotion, as they are the few movies that actually get me to feel.

I don't think that many movies have blown my mind, not as many in comparison to books, certainly. A movie that blew my mind would have to make me question things I had never even considered before I watched it. But so many of them are just fodder for passive entertainment, even the so-called "deep" ones.

Of course, I haven't seen any recent ones like Inception of Avatar, but then I am always skeptical of critically and popularly acclaimed movies. I actually never want to see Avatar just because of how much it is focused on graphics and stupid blue cat aliens. Bah.

aka958

Don't trust people
Triangle? The one with the bermuda triangle that was up to about 9 hours long or so and was split in 3 parts? That movie BLEW MY MIND!

So did Shutter Island. I was like "wut?" when I saw that. XD

moseslmpg

Was Triangle a theatrical release? It sounds like a Syfy movie.

Anyway, I forgot The Man From Earth. I enjoyed that one a lot.

aka958

Don't trust people
moseslmpg;289498 said:
Was Triangle a theatrical release? It sounds like a Syfy movie.

Anyway, I forgot The Man From Earth. I enjoyed that one a lot.

Theater? I think I just hired the movie. :\

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
moseslmpg;289503 said:
How do you hire a movie? By theater I mean cinema, not like Shakespearean theater.

I'm fairly certain he meant renting the movie. He's not a native English speaker, so he tends to make mistakes now and then.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Moon was quite good, particularly if you liked 2001: A Space Odyssey.

aka958

Don't trust people
moseslmpg;289503 said:
How do you hire a movie? By theater I mean cinema, not like Shakespearean theater.

Storm Silves;289507 said:
I'm fairly certain he meant renting the movie. He's not a native English speaker, so he tends to make mistakes now and then.

Yeah. It is called "Hyra" in Sweden. Easy mistake bro. And I'm not dumb, I know what you meant. I had not seen any trailers, announces, or posters to show that it has ever existed, I saw the friggin' movie in a video renting store.

ProtoTypeRaavyn

Zombie Killing Pro
No Actually Triangle is only like and hour and 45 min and it's not About the burmuda triangle. It's just A really ****ed up movie. By the same people that made Eternal Sunshine of the eternal Mind. It's good. Not sure if it was released in theaters or not, I heard about it from a friend, but befor that never heard anything about it.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
ignoring your comment on purpose moses... it's pretty much bait for me. :lol:
Lexy;289131 said:
That's the thing. Everyone says that about all their other movies. But what is it that's so great about Coen Brothers' films? Because I can't figure out what that is in the ones I have seen.

the coen brothers can create tension and pacing without using excessive sound effects or an ongoing musical soundtrack. they only use sound effects for the films that are in context (i.e. door opening, footsteps). only RARELY will you have music in the background, and when you do it's where it should be: in the background, unnoticeable. even if you may find it boring, it's a clear indicator of excellence in both directing and acting. it eliminates one of the advantages that film has over it's predecessors: plays.

furthermore it takes every other aspect of the movie to be pretty much perfect so as not to ruin the continuity of the film with such an absence of sound.

even if it isn't your style, even if you prefer action movies with loud music and one-liners. if you think the coen brothers suck (not that you said you did..i get worked up over this sort of thing) that's like saying vin diesel is a better actor than leonardo dicaprio.

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
The Green Mile
The Departed
Secret Window
Watchmen
The Myst
District 9
Spirited Away
Sunshine (weird...amazing though)
Southland Tales (weird movie...hard to understand)

Top Bottom