• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Metal Gear Rising VS DmC

8BitHero

Scrub
Haha, grievously injured means that you're pretty much going to die without some intense medical attention.

Of course, this was necessary to turn him into the cyborg ninja :3
I love how you structured that to sound like the only logical conclusion to make for this.

"Oh he's horribly injured and is on the verge of death...hmm

LETS TURN HIM INTO A CYYYYYBOOOORG NINJAAAAAAAAAA"
High Fives around the water cooler that day!

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I love how you structured that to sound like the only logical conclusion to make for this.

"Oh he's horribly injured and is on the verge of death...hmm

LETS TURN HIM INTO A CYYYYYBOOOORG NINJAAAAAAAAAA"
High Fives around the water cooler that day!

In a Kojima game it IS the only logical conclusion. You're either dead or a cyborg. Take your pick!

GF9000000Returns

Man, I played MGR at a friend's house and what got to my mind after playing is "psssh is this really the game old DMC fans and general capcom fans prefer over DmC?". The combat feels weird and clunky and sometimes freezes outta nowhere. I know it's a demo but I doubt it will get nearly fixed.

So when I got back home playing the DmC demo, I have to say, the combat feels smoother than I've played before. So once again, DmC > MGR!

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Man, I played MGR at a friend's house and what got to my mind after playing is "psssh is this really the game old DMC fans and general capcom fans prefer over DmC?". The combat feels weird and clunky and sometimes freezes outta nowhere. I know it's a demo but I doubt it will get nearly fixed.

So when I got back home playing the DmC demo, I have to say, the combat feels smoother than I've played before. So once again, DmC > MGR!

I had that problem too. The MGR demo would just straight up freeze my PS3 T_T Just hate it when that happens, but the DmC demo hasn't done anything remotely similar like that to me >.<

I like MGR though, but I don't understand how people can look to that for DMC-style gameplay when it plays nothing like DMC. Or Bayonetta...

GF9000000Returns

I had that problem too. The MGR demo would just straight up freeze my PS3 T_T Just hate it when that happens, but the DmC demo hasn't done anything remotely similar like that to me >_<

I like MGR though, but I don't understand how people can look to that for DMC-style gameplay when it plays nothing like DMC. Or Bayonetta...

I know right? People have yet to understand that the games are totally different, but what they both have in common is that they both are getting negative feedback from their own old fans.

MGR may look good and intense but it doesn't play good to me like DmC does.

majeh116

I know right? People have yet to understand that the games are totally different, but what they both have in common is that they both are getting negative feedback from their own old fans.

MGR may look good and intense but it doesn't play good to me like DmC does.
Honestly when I play MGR my experience is triangle,square,triangle and I never feel remotely inclined to use anything else. It's like the square,square,triangle, of god of war and I think when a action game dosen't make you feel motivated to use any combo's beyond one or two that's when it has failed.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
DmC is free-form combat. MGR is just your straight-up hack 'n' slash with a cool cutting mechanic.

You know what really disappoints me about MGR though? All of those auto-combos you can do when you stun enemies. Like, they look really cool and all, but some of that stuff I would have loved to be able to do on my own :p

Gbraga

Honestly when I play MGR my experience is triangle,square,triangle and I never feel remotely inclined to use anything else. It's like the square,square,triangle, of god of war and I think when a action game dosen't make you feel motivated to use any combo's beyond one or two that's when it has failed.
I believe that this limitation was set by yourself. Go look at any press preview of DmC, all they do is spam Hacker ALL DAY. I wouldn't be surprised if the press actually praise the color coded enemies on review because they "motivate you to mix it up", which is a load of bullshit. I even think it's safe to assume that at least 95% of people who play and enjoy the DMC series just spam the same crap over and over again.

Breaking8ad

i am the danger, i am the one who knocks!!
I believe that this limitation was set by yourself. Go look at any press preview of DmC, all they do is spam Hacker ALL DAY. I wouldn't be surprised if the press actually praise the color coded enemies on review because they "motivate you to mix it up", which is a load of bullshit. I even think it's safe to assume that at least 95% of people who play and enjoy the DMC series just spam the same crap over and over again.
I must be in that 5% cause i am ALWAYS and i mean ALWAYS mixing it up and trying out new things. I dont call it bullshit when people use their own favorite combos, i call it habit. If they find something that works for them, then why is it bullshit?

majeh116

Not really because I learned all the combo's in the demo of Rising I just feel that the one combo I use is the most practical and effective. I acknowledge there are more options then what I do absolutely I just don't personally feel inclined to use them. With DmC due to the combat system being easy to mix it up with and everything having an obvious situation to use it (etc 5 enemies? scythe, one enemy? sword, shield? axe) I actually feel motivated to mix it up because there isn't one combo that will get you through every encounter efficiently unlike Rising where square,triangle,square will get you through every encounter quite efficiently and effectively where it be cyborg, gecko, or Lq 84I. That's just my opinion though.

Gbraga

I must be in that 5% cause i am ALWAYS and i mean ALWAYS mixing it up and trying out new things. I dont call it bullshit when people use their own favorite combos, i call it habit. If they find something that works for them, then why is it bullshit?
Bullshit would be to praise the color coded enemies, not using the same combo.

Dominus

Not really because I learned all the combo's in the demo of Rising I just feel that the one combo I use is the most practical and effective. I acknowledge there are more options then what I do absolutely I just don't personally feel inclined to use them. With DmC due to the combat system being easy to mix it up with and everything having an obvious situation to use it (etc 5 enemies? scythe, one enemy? sword, shield? axe) I actually feel motivated to mix it up because there isn't one combo that will get you through every encounter efficiently unlike Rising where square,triangle,square will get you through every encounter quite efficiently and effectively where it be cyborg, gecko, or Lq 84I. That's just my opinion though.
Actually I mixed it up equally in both games, but in DmC you can also play very limited but be effective as well. Most of my play-through in DmC was rebellion rebellion, axe from a demon dodge. Hell I used arbiter a lot because it breaks enemy guards. Also you can spam guns on any enemy to break their guard as well (which I feel is broken). I rarely used the scythe unless I felt like getting fancy with air combos or was fighting a specific enemy for it. I think the Aquilla will be more helpful than Osiris in terms of bringing enemies in, but imo Osiris as it is, is only useful for pulling enemies up into the air.

Also in MGR you can mix up those combos with the command inputs as well (like the force push, or trip more or launcher), and I found myself doing that a lot. I think you'll use more combs later in the game when you aren't fighting grunt enemies especially when they will be parrying your moves more, etc. Plus a recent preview I read talked about fighting tons of enemies at a time which is a relief considering in three sections of the demo you fought a smaller amount of enemies.

majeh116

Actually I mixed it up equally in both games, but in DmC you can also play very limited but be effective as well. Most of my play-through in DmC was rebellion rebellion, axe from a demon dodge. Hell I used arbiter a lot because it breaks enemy guards. Also you can spam guns on any enemy to break their guard as well (which I feel is broken). I rarely used the scythe unless I felt like getting fancy with air combos or was fighting a specific enemy for it. I think the Aquilla will be more helpful than Osiris in terms of bringing enemies in, but imo Osiris as it is, is only useful for pulling enemies up into the air.

Also in MGR you can mix up those combos with the command inputs as well (like the force push, or trip more or launcher), and I found myself doing that a lot. I think you'll use more combs later in the game when you aren't fighting grunt enemies especially when they will be parrying your moves more, etc. Plus a recent preview I read talked about fighting tons of enemies at a time which is a relief considering in three sections of the demo you fought a smaller amount of enemies.
Oh yeah I openly admit part of my problem in the Rising demo is if you sneeze on the enemies they die because they are so weak however I still don't like the other two combos you can perform with triangle (being triangle triangle square triangle and repeat but three triangles in the beginning) because I feel like they are the same move and I don't ever feel the need to try to use it them because I find those combos slow. I also don't like the air combat (which is just mash square then tap triangle to knock them down a bit in my experience.) I think it might just be a personal taste thing though.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Oh yeah I openly admit part of my problem in the Rising demo is if you sneeze on the enemies they die because they are so weak however I still don't like the other two combos you can perform with triangle (being triangle triangle square triangle and repeat but three triangles in the beginning) because I feel like they are the same move and I don't ever feel the need to try to use it them because I find those combos slow. I also don't like the air combat (which is just mash square then tap triangle to knock them down a bit in my experience.) I think it might just be a personal taste thing though.

Boy when I first saw Metal Gear Solid: Rising all I wanted to do was cut sh*t HOW WANT, WHERE I WANT, AND WHAT/WHO I WANT not pull off over complex and stylish moves we already have too much DMC offsprings (Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, GoW, & No More Heroes).

Adding Platinum just added over the top, adrenaline pumping, blood spurring EVERYWHERE, EXPLOSIVE, CAR CHASING, OVERSEXUALIZATION, DOG ON DOG, TWO GIRLS ONE CUP ACTION.....with stealth....wait that was already there.

Dominus

Boy when I first saw Metal Gear Solid: Rising all I wanted to do was cut sh*t HOW WANT, WHERE I WANT, AND WHAT/WHO I WANT not pull off over complex and stylish moves we already have too much DMC offsprings (Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, GoW, & No More Heroes).
Never seen someone complain about too many H&S games... but there's always a first.
DmC is free-form combat. MGR is just your straight-up hack 'n' slash with a cool cutting mechanic.

You know what really disappoints me about MGR though? All of those auto-combos you can do when you stun enemies. Like, they look really cool and all, but some of that stuff I would have loved to be able to do on my own :p
There usually is only one qte per enemy, except for the gecko's which they are two. I'd say I look at it more as the action button used in God Hand to do suplexes, rapid kick and punch finishers, cobra twist, etc, when enemies were stunned. This added a decent amount of variety to enemy encounters in God Hand and I'm glad they were there. My favorite of course being when you fight Devil Hand and you have to mash attack fast enough so he doesn't beat out your pummel. If MGR at least matches the awesomeness of God Hand boss fights I'll be happy. I wish other people would get the memo that 1v1 boss fights against bosses "around" your size is more fun than 50 foot bosses...

majeh116

Never seen someone complain about too many H&S games... but there's always a first.

There usually is only one qte per enemy, except for the gecko's which they are two. I'd say I look at it more as the action button used in God Hand to do suplexes, rapid kick and punch finishers, cobra twist, etc, when enemies were stunned. This added a decent amount of variety to enemy encounters in God Hand and I'm glad they were there. My favorite of course being when you fight Devil Hand and you have to mash attack fast enough so he doesn't beat out your pummel. If MGR at least matches the awesomeness of God Hand boss fights I'll be happy. I wish other people would get the memo that 1v1 boss fights against bosses "around" your size is more fun than 50 foot bosses...
Side note there are three with geckos there are when you spin him on his own chord, when he gets his foot stuck in the group and u stab it in the head, and his insta kill where u slash his legs grab its front and swing through its legs cutting it up from behind. (if we also count his stealth kill then there are 4)

Top Bottom