• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Metal Gear Rising VS DmC

Noel

I'm sure this topic was brought up on previous thread. But what like to ask you guys is what are your pro and cons for both title?

This is mine

DmC

Pros
1. Top notch voice acting and great music
2. Good graphic and environment
3. Combat that focus on air and weapons that are more practical against enemy.
4. Fun platforming

Cons
1. Framerate
2. Less than stellar enemy design
3. And because this is a origin story, it can't help but to be predictable.

MGR

Pros
1. Combat differs from most hack and slash games.
2. Non linear path to execute enemy.
3. Interesting story
4. Destructible environments

Cons
1. Quick time events. When Raiden is stun, it seems you have to toggle the stick to recover.
2. Less than stellar environments
3. Voice acting(english) sound silly at time.

Note i that judge both games from the footage release.

Razyel

Soul Reaver
I don't think that you can compare these games, MGR is not hack n slash, it's action game.
Saying so is the same as calling MGS a third person shooter.

That's what I think.

Noel

I don't think that you can compare these games, MGR is not hack n slash, it's action game.
Saying so is the same as calling MGS a third person shooter.

That's what I think.

At it's core, MGR is pretty much a hack and slash game, complete with combos, parry, and ranking. But like anything innovative, you add something to differ your game with others.

Razyel

Soul Reaver
I disagree

there are combos and parrys even in some adventure games + ranking is nothing new to Metal Gear series.
Same way I don't see Prince of Persia (sands trilogy) as hack n slash.
Same way I don't see Legacy of Kain series as hack n slash

Grey-Frog

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this, but it really made me laugh. I'm not really much of a MGS fan so I don't know if Raiden always acted like that, but I couldn't help but think "Wow, that really followed the old DMC checklist for boss encounters".

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
I'd take DmC over MSR anyday. I wasn't at the least impressed with the demo of MGR. It relies heavily on the slicing mechanic and everything about it reminds me more of P* (vanquish, which also had Snake in it) than of Metal Gear. The stealth moves are unnecessary. I'm sure later in the game, it will make you do stealth moves only regardless though. The secondary weapons slow down combat more than the actual slow motion slicing moves. And the voice acting is loaded with long winded over exaggerated technical terms that seem like P* is just making fun of the previous MGS games. I'll probably buy it later than sooner, or just watch it on youtube to not have to bother with the gameplay.

There are also some things i do like about it. The traversal, just like prototype, is an excellent way to escape or just find the best way to see your surroundings. The thermal vision, like prototype, is also nice to have, so you can precisely find the right vantage point for stealth attacks (which are unnecessary). The slicing mechanic is actually really fun, but it really gets old really fast. The environments look pretty but nothing moves. I do like that you can cut down a lot of things, but then it won't let you cut down everything. If i can cut down pillars to a bridge than i should be able to walk right through buildings. A game called Red Faction: Guerrilla let you do just that.

In the end i choose DmC for trying not to stray to far from what made it popular. MGR is not MGS. Sure there has always been cybernetic ninjas in MG, and granted this is a spin off/ alternative but... i miss my MGS. Ninjas are cool but i choose Ryu

Paexie

Yeah. MGR is basically a better Vanquished the same way DmC is a better HS (with elements from DMC). They are both a win/win in my eyes. Now, which one will I prefer to play in the end is still up in the air for me.

Can't help but tilt my head slightly over both of the game's narratives, though.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
Those were pretty sweet! I may have to give MGS4 another chance, lol. Thanks!
MGS4 is one of the best games on ps3. Its worth the 20 dollars, believe me.
Yeah. MGR is basically a better Vanquished the same way DmC is a better HS (with elements from DMC). They are both a win/win in my eyes. Now, which one will I prefer to play in the end is still up in the air for me.

Can't help but tilt my head slightly over both of the game's narratives, though.

I think MSR has the right idea of how narrative should work. And so did previous DMC games. Raiden has a voice in his head all the time, and is reporting back to what's going on, so he speaks. He may not have the most creative things to say, but the reasoning is still there. As for Dante.... he's by himself and talks to himself. Maybe thats just a product of being alone a lot. What made narrative great in Enslaved was Monkey wasn't alone. He had Trip and the conversations had meaning and it gave the player two perspectives to play off of.

What i meant about DMC 1-3's narratives was Dante was just thinking about those items he picked up, so he didn't need to say it out loud.

Paexie

I think MSR has the right idea of how narrative should work. And so did previous DMC games. Raiden has a voice in his head all the time, and is reporting back to what's going on, so he speaks. He may not have the most creative things to say, but the reasoning is still there. As for Dante.... he's by himself and talks to himself. Maybe thats just a product of being alone a lot. What made narrative great in Enslaved was Monkey wasn't alone. He had Trip and the conversations had meaning and it gave the player two perspectives to play off of.

What i meant about DMC 1-3's narratives was Dante was just thinking about those items he picked up, so he didn't need to say it out loud.

That's just nitpicking imo. Tons of games have characters talking to themselves. Dante is usually shouting out or murmuring out of spite at the demons in his way. He's really toned down when he talks to himself too. It really doesn't affect the narrative all that much.

I'm talking about the overall story that has me skeptical.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I'd say another con for MGR is that it arbitrarily blocks off areas when you get into battles sometimes. The best part of the entire demo is when you're in that huge area with all the soldiers and Gekkos, and it let's you just move around the area in a lot of ways. but then a lot of other encounters have you in this battle fence, and it's sorta disheartening. It was a very silly holdover from DMC/Bayonetta that Platinum shouldn't have implemented, I feel. To me, MGR still feels a lot like a Metal Gear game, and inexplicably closer to playing as the Cyborg Ninja in VR Missions, but with that Platinum games flair to it. It's not really the best "hack 'n' slash" because of how easy it is to take out a lot of different enemies.

Also MGR doesn't really have any sort of dodging ability (in the demo at least). The closest you get is hitting Square+X to a sidestepping or backstepping slash, and it's not all that reliable :S The parrying is cool, but...sometimes you just wanna get the hell outta there, and Ninja Run just doesn't do the trick sometimes. Hopefully there's an upgrade in the full game for dodging.

I also find it sorta funny that people say DmC is really casualized and that MGR will be so much better, but MGR has a lot of the things people feared DmC would have (like QTEs), and MGR is so user-friendly that every single enemy attack comes with a nice glowing broadcast >.< DmC has it too, but...still...

It is kinda nice in DmC's narrative because now he has Kat with him a lot of the time, so there's some good exchanges throughout gameplay; "Dante! RUN!" "I AM running!" Even when Kat's not around they still find a way to have Dante interact with people, like responding to Lilith's Devil Has Talent stuff with "I don't have time for this bullshit!" or even just saying random quips to the demons during fights, "C'mon down guys! Let's get violent!" So far MGR's in-game talking likes to wrest control from you with that Vanquish-style walk-and-talk radio stuff, which I think sorta breaks the flow a bit :s

I'm still excited for both, as they fill to different action game desires, but I'm still more excited for DmC because of it's overall combat and such.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
That's just nitpicking imo. Tons of games have characters talking to themselves. Dante is usually shouting out or murmuring out of spite at the demons in his way. He's really toned down when he talks to himself too. It really doesn't affect the narrative all that much.

I'm talking about the overall story that has me skeptical.
It maybe nit picking to you, but i always found it weird for characters to talk to themselves, in games and movies. Granted i forgot about Kat and Dante does talk a lot of smack to demons in battle, which i think are some of his best lines thus far. And since i am a NT fan i am pretty sure i won't be bothered by their approach to narrative anyways.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Does anyone know where Dante's "Get your ****ing claw off my trailer!" line was heard? I would very much like to see that.

Sometimes, if a character isn't know to talk to themselves, it can be sorta awkward when they start to. Sometimes it works out well, like in Max Payne, where the guy is seriously alone against the world, and they fill in a lot of that empty air with his poetic narrative. Dante does well in his taunting and stuff, but a lot of the time if he's alone, he speaks simply to say something sorta funny. I think Dante is more the kinda guy that also just likes to hear himself talk :p

Paexie

I think it that line was pointed out in a written preview.

Yeah it's silly when he's talking to himself, but the more I think about it. Doesn't Limbo listen, feel and see Dante, too? So most of the lines are directed towards it. Like when he's pulling out the eyes out of those cameras and such. Dante is also exploring things about himself in this game.

Without an omnipotent narrator, which would really through the game off, we only have Dante to ask himself those questions. Hopefully these moments don't show up so often in the main narrative. I understand when they pop up in the secret doors and stuff like that though.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I think so far most, if not all, of Dante's talking in DmC is directed towards someone or something. The only narration I've heard so far was from his "Who is Dante" panel, where he talked about his past for a couple minutes. Limbo acting more as a character is an interesting twist, too, because then he can respond to things that the world does to him, and it feels less like complaining to an omniscient, invisible hand of fate, and more as frustration to a guy trying to trip you all the time, like when he first got pulled into Limbo in the Under Watch demo, where he just goes "Aw c'mon."

Top Bottom