• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is Vergil good or evil in DMC3? And Why?

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
He may be evil to a point but hes not completely evil otherwise hed kill everyone not just those in his way
Well that's behavioral difference that doesn't make anyone less or more evil.

Bad guys like Mundus use crude tactics and just about anything in his sleeve to defeat dante and same time bad guys like vergil/berial tend to be very straightforward because of their own moral framework.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Well that's behavioral difference that doesn't make anyone less or more evil.

Bad guys like Mundus use crude tactics and just about anything in his sleeve to defeat dante and same time bad guys like vergil/berial tend to be very straightforward because of their own moral framework.

Vergil isnt totally evil though think about it he spared lady for one for two he knew he could kill dante int he first fight instead he let him live and helped to awaken his devil trigger he only wished to gain his fathers power granted he didnt care if the results killed others but he didnt go out of his way to cause unnecessary death either he is immoral and cruel and cold and yes partially evil but not completely plus the reason for all this is because he wanted his fathers power to avenge his mothers death and kill mundus..i dont believe vergil isnt evil but i cant agree that he is completely evil either..id say he has more evil behaviour or tendencies

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
he spared lady
that doesn't make him any good either she just wasn't in his No1 Priority anymore just like how kratos can choose to kill or spare humans in his way.
He knew he could kill dante in the first fight instead he let him live and helped to awaken his devil trigger
lol no he just wanted to subdue Dante and by stabbing him with the rebellion he accidentally awakened his DT.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
and why did he subdue dante and not just kill him if he was evil? he knew pushing dante that far would awaken his dt and even if he didnt know why not just kill him then why only subdue a truly evil person wouldve killed dante without mercy and as for priorities a truly evil person wouldnt have spared anyone in that tower human or not he wouldve killed lady priority or not just because if he was truly evil..im not saying vergil isnt slightly evil but im saying he is not truly evil

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
and why did he subdue dante and not just kill him if he was evil?
Because it was unnecessary and vergil isn't as impulsive as dante so he was just following his plan.
Step 1:Raise tower/hell
Step 2:Manipulate dante to get sparda's powers
Step 3:???
Profit ?
he knew pushing dante that far would awaken his dt
Simple he didn't care enough to do that it was none of his concern all he wanted was the amulet lol he isn't good at multitasking.
A truly evil person wouldve killed dante without mercy
LOL you're saying like saying if you don't kick a puppy you aren't a justified villain .
It is a really terrible cliche where the villain is made so obvious that all that needs is a label on his back written "I'm SUPER EVIL" followed by lightning bolts.
and as for priorities a truly evil person wouldnt have spared anyone in that tower human or not he would've killed lady
No that is what some impulsive,reckless and often sadistic villain would do vergil is not that kind of a villain he's controlled,focused and straightforward which makes him boring.

Of course the new vergil is not like that he's different he is manipulative,tactical and the same time also is a brother the only problem i have with DmC is dante himself he just sucks from his character design to his 13 yr old demeanor it just makes him less likable no matter how well he's written.

DanteStyle

但丁是我的
and why did he subdue dante and not just kill him if he was evil? he knew pushing dante that far would awaken his dt and even if he didnt know why not just kill him then why only subdue a truly evil person wouldve killed dante without mercy and as for priorities a truly evil person wouldnt have spared anyone in that tower human or not he wouldve killed lady priority or not just because if he was truly evil..im not saying vergil isnt slightly evil but im saying he is not truly evil

Er...wait a minute. My memory is a bit foggy but didn't Arkham stop him from dealing the final blow?
Yep, yep, yep. Check it at 5:40.

Analysis:
He tries to kill his last remaining relative. Stating that he knew Dante's dt will come into play is speculating. At 5.35 Vergil doesn't look very impressed that Dante came after him. He'd have owned Dante if Arkham hadn't stopped him, whatnot with Dante being like weak and halfdead anyway.

Result:
Vergil is verrrry good at being evil.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
i still dont believe that vergil is completely evil is he evil to a point yes does he do evil things yes but i dont believe hes evil through and through thats just my opinion everyone has their own and i do believe he has a lot of evil in him but your saying hes completely evil and im saying he is evil to point

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I don't even know why this debate is going on this long. Vergil in 3 couldn't fill a more generic spot in the cast and he is a very simple character. He doesn't have much depth at all. He's a power hungry selfish douchebag. He doesn't give a sh!t about the people that will die. Just about gaining more power. He's like a freaking saturday morning cartoon villain. Gaining power and practically destroying the world then.......?????? I don't see why he's so popular. He's a weak and boring villain.

DmC's Vergil is soooo much better than the original. He has more character and personality. He also looks cooler. Vergil in 3 looked like some silly pirate or something.

DmC Vergil > DMC Vergil hands down.

DmC Vergil also gives us more to talk about. We're just gonna keep talking in circles here.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I don't even know why this debate is going on this long. Vergil in 3 couldn't fill a more generic spot in the cast and he is a very simple character. He doesn't have much depth at all. He's a power hungry selfish douchebag. He doesn't give a sh!t about the people that will die. Just about gaining more power. He's like a freaking saturday morning cartoon villain. Gaining power and practically destroying the world then.......?????? I don't see why he's so popular. He's a weak and boring villain.
It's very telling when you see how much people idolize this type of alpha-male personality...

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
bad guy. he's just using his mother as an excuse to gain power. in the beginning i bet he really was trying to help people...but then his lust for power turned him into...
this
lex-luthor-wallpapers_16586_1024x768.png

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
bad guy. he's just using his mother as an excuse to gain power. in the beginning i bet he really was trying to help people...but then his lust for power turned him into...
this

And now, I have to.

Vergil: Say it

Lady: You're insane.

Vergil: No. Not That! the other thing

Lady: Dante will never-

Vergil: WRONG!

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
this

Lex is a WAY better villain that Vergil. No comparison dude. And on a related note I personally loved Kevin Spacey as Lex.

Here's a thought, Bruce Willis as Lex Luthor.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
DmC's Vergil is soooo much better than the original. He has more character and personality. He also looks cooler. Vergil in 3 looked like some silly pirate or something.
DmC Vergil also gives us more to talk about. We're just gonna keep talking in circles here.
I agree on everything you said the reason why people like him is because of his yin-yang relationship with dante and because fangirls don't care about how much of a personality vergil has >_>

seriously saying though i've seen much much worse... i can list you fangirls for characters you'd consider a waste in the entire fictional history.

berto

I Saw the Devil
LOL WUT ?? Vergil is a very simple character mind you i like the Rebooted version much more because he has more of a character depth then the original.

Dude.. he's a 2d character idk what's so hard to understand here !

> He unleashes Evil (Knowing that it will kill many humans)
> He Attempts to end his competition (His own brother)
> He wants to gain power at the expense of human world merging with demon world
> He is selfish and wants power but doesn't want to share it with others.

All these actions scream loud&clear that he is a in fact EVIL.

Like I said, way to oversimplify.

His actions are evil and therefore so is he but people keep dismissing his actions as ether selfish or greedy, why? You were shown his motivatios for his actions in DMC3 and call the excuses and lies. Vergil might be alot of things but he isn't a lier, nor is there any lie in what was shown in DMC3, why would you think that there was? What possible reasons could you have for dissmissing the character you were shown for some baseless notion that belittles that?

Let me tell you how I see Vergil. People who were once victimized become one of two things, they ether continue to become victims or they become vitimizers. Vergil falls in the later, they become victimizers because they refuse to be victims ever again, to feel that sence of helplessness, that and he knows whats out there and in order to never feel like that again, helpless, they will go to great lenghts to make sure of that, in this case he wants more power, and knowing full well who was the most powerfull of them all he feels entitled, too.

Vergil, and this is from the developers themselves, is Dante's shadow, and Dante is Vergil's. Two sides of the same coin, mirror images. The possibility that almost was and in many ways is. The hatred they feel towards the other isn't as simple as that, it's also the hatred of themselves that fuels them to the violence they inflict on the other.

So with that you'll have to forgive but I dissagree with you're statement that DmC's version of Vergil is more intresting as he goes from been a samurai, in a very classical way, to a computer nerd who obviously doesn't know how hold a sword and is more often than not just there to make Dante cooler by comparison. Add to that his really uninteresting choise of vocabulary which was meant to make him sound more inteligent but comes out overly theatrical and phony and you got a very mismatched re iteration. Well, I suppose if you are trying to recreate a character it's better to go all out. At least when I saw him I could tell it was Vergil, unlike the first time I saw new Dante.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
It's very telling when you see how much people idolize this type of alpha-male personality...
I wouldn't say Vergil is alpha...well, Dante's more alpha than Vergil if you take into account Dante's over the top action and his way too cocky personality in DMC3. Contrast that to Vergil, who is quieter, seems to think more, but is still a force to be reckoned with if someone crosses his path. Plus, his actions stem from a tragic event in his childhood...that's pretty much asking for fangirls to be all over him and excuse his bad behaviour.:p It's like Loki and Thor. Loki has loads more fans because he's the intellectual one with a tragic-ish past and motivations.

Besides, I don't see anyone idolizing the behaviour of DmC Mundus. That was as alpha as you could get. Big and strong, power like a god, owns the world, has a load of money, quite happy to threaten and kill people, and he's so alpha that they had to include a scene of him banging his mistress over a desk.:troll: I think they went a bit too far trying to prove his alphaness with that scene. But you don't see anyone excusing what he did or idolizing him.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
First, evil and good are , in fact , human conceptions that are so individual as individual is every person in this world.
Now mix it with personal and selfish reason with fifty shades of hypocrisy and then you have worldwide definition of these words.
Vergil was label to be evil by the developers and, in fact, that is the only thing who makes him evil.He could be like he is and do what it does and be labeled as good, if developers had described him as such.Even Mundus can be viewed as a nice pal: Vergil wanted power, Mundus not only gave him power, but he gave him the place Sparda had, as his right arm. Dante wanted a "mother", Mundus gave him "a mother" and even he gave Dante the opportunity of having even more mothers if he wanted too.

About them being shadows of each other:
This could give us a very interesting analisys; at the first sight Vergil is bad, evil and cruel , but his "lunar side" or his true personality be caring, devoted and gentle; his coldness could be a way to confront and deal with the world.
The same way Dante seems to be good, heroic and to have good intentions, but in the deep him being cold, cruel, egostical and of dubious behavior.He has given shades of it in the pasts.
Why nobody did Vergil a developed personality? They were not interested on it or probably don't know how to do it .And let us be honest, Dante 's personality wasn't well done too. Capcom only used ( and badly) Jungian theories to give depth to something that don't makes sense from the beggining. Their psychological excuses to characters behavior make no sense, but they used it anyway hoping nobody put them in cause.

Why people like evil people ? You have to ask it to people who follow and venerates serial killers and rapists. Only them can answer it...

EnJ

Shade
It seems to me that you all go into way to deep analysis of characters from the game where they rides rockets and vertical walls on motorcycle, catch bullets by teeth and fight with guitar what can launch bats,.

Top Bottom