• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is Vergil good or evil in DMC3? And Why?

Revolver446

Well, in your opinion, is Vergil good or evil? IMHO He's good, but he want his father's power.

btw sorry for my bad english

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I say evil.

Look, if you try to murder your brother over a sword, no matter how powerful it is, it kind of makes you evil.

And that's not even mentioning raising the tower out of the ground -- people like to argue that that place was "abandoned" because they ran away when the demons came, but even if there was just one innocent bystander, then Vergil is responsible for taking that life.

Evil.

Revolver446

I think that he murdered his brother with the Rebellion for awake his devil powers.

And with his devil powers, also the Rebellion's awakening.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I think that he murdered his brother with the Rebellion for awake his devil powers.

And with his devil powers, also the Rebellion's awakening.
No, that's not what I meant.

I was talking about mission 20. Vergil did try to kill Dante because he wanted Dante's half of the medallion that he was wearing. If he got the other half, then he would get the Sparda sword and all of Sparda's power.

I didn't mean that Vergil tried to kill Dante in Mission 7. We all know Vergil was trying to awaken his brother's demonic power by impaling him with Rebellion. However, he was also trying to humiliate him as well by using Dante's own sword against him.

Vergil was trying to offer Dante an opportunity to become powerful. Dante didn't want it, and was trying to prevent Vergil from taking it in Mission 20. Therefore, Vergil tried to kill him in order to get the medallion and Sparda's power along with it.

rocketvergil

Vergil's apprentice, the successor to yamato
These kind of threads have led to a lot of debate, fighting, immaturity and bans in the past few months. oping that history does not repeat it self.
Vergil in my opinion neither evil nor good. Evil is when someone has the intention of mass murder, domination or destruction. Good is when someone wants to help someone or prevent chaos. Vergil falls in neither categories. He only wants more power ( God knows why ) and he is selfish enough to screw up a lot of humans and his brother in the process. This might be due to his past. Traumatised by the death of his mother, he seeks more power to get rid of the feeling of helplessness and the mentality of not giving a **** about others is just him being a demon. In a sense even Dante doesnt care too much about collateral damage as he never says he wants to protect humanity in DMC 3. He also lets lady go from the top a huge building knowing that she is human and wont survive the fall.

He's just as evil as Loki and yet people like him.
I'm sorry,I have a thing for bad guys.
Loki was my most favourite character in Thor and The Avengers.
I just happen to find villains or bad guys to be more interesting than the heroes.

Now,back to the topic.
I don't think he was 'evil' in the true sense of the word.
An evil character,a villain,often doesn't have any reason why they're evil,they just like to be like that,or some barely have any solid reason as of why they're like that. They just like to see the world suffering.

Vergil on the other hand,had only one goal and that was to acquire this father's power because he felt guilt over the death of his mother because he wasn't able to protect her. For example when Dante asked him what he's gonna do with all that power,he didn't give an answer because,I think,he just wanted to gain more power,to become powerful like his father and that's all.
While Dante represents the human part : he lives in the human world,doing his job, Vergil represents the demon one,the one that wants power because power is something that demons want.
He hesitated in some moments killing his brother and even a human like Lady and this proves that he isn't exactly the epitome of evilness. As we know he helped Dante activate his DT and cooperated with him in defeating Arkham.

He wasn't exactly murdering Dante because they're equal in powers, I think he likes a good fight with someone who is able to keep up with him,someone who is as powerful as him and Vergil isn't the person who would like someone to stand in his way of achieving something he wants.

In conclusion,I wouldn't say he's a villain but more an Deauteragonist or even a little bit of an Anti-hero.

seraphmaycry

i cant say either way since evil is a more or less subjective term if you look at the changes in whats considered right and whats wrong over the years go back a thousand years and their will be plenty of moral conflicts between the modern people and them. i would call him evil if i had a choice but really human nature is basically the opposite of what is considered good, i mean nowadays you can buy food in packages but in the past we had to do something considered evil to survive we had to kill (plants were a option but at one point or another people and animals were harmed). just some things to think about

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Probably evil. He did kill Arkham, right? Well, he thought he did, at least. He would also kill Dante if he could. That's evil enough for me. Not to mention he would most likely use people like he did Arkham. Saying he's an antihero is foolish. Antiheroes are heroes who lack some or all positive qualities. As Vergil was actively standing in Dante's way, trying to obtain power, and possibly release all of hell on the human world, that makes him a villain. It doesn't matter how tragic a villain he is.

I'll admit he made a switch to a kind of antihero when he helped Dante defeat Arkham, but that was not even because he wanted to help Dante. He just thought Arkham wasn't worthy of or entitled to Sparda's power. He doesn't give a **** about saving the day. Once again, still a villain.

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
In my opinion, evil

1. He attempts fratercide (murder of one's brother)
2. He was prepared to unleash a horde of Demons onto the Earth over a sword.
3. Dropping Lady off the tower.
4. Killing his suboordinates without a thought.
5. Beating on Beowulf's corpse with his (Beowulf) own soul.

Yeah, he's an evil selfish prick.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Evil requires the ability to rationally consider the consequences of your actions and come to the conclusion that they are not justified but that you don't care. Vergil doesn't not appear to possess the ability to think rationally about his desire for power. he doesn't know why he needs power or what to do with it. he just knows that he needs it. there is nothing rational about his actions or motivations.

TerrorA

Evil requires the ability to rationally consider the consequences of your actions and come to the conclusion that they are not justified but that you don't care. Vergil doesn't not appear to possess the ability to think rationally about his desire for power. he doesn't know why he needs power or what to do with it. he just knows that he needs it. there is nothing rational about his actions or motivations.

Basically, you're saying he's more insane then evil.

Huh. Never considered that.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot

Well, yes, technically, I'd say he's crazy instead of evil. But then, he does evil things, and for the sake of the story, he is the 'evil' to Dante's 'good'. The question is, really: 'Is Vergil a hero, antihero or villain'? And out of those choices, he would definitely be the last.

Besides, I don't know if Vergil ever sat down and thought: ''What I'm doing is not justified, but I don't care''. Maybe he did. He doesn't strike me as insane, just as selfish. He would ask Dante why he cares about the humans, and why he doesn't just let them die. Seems like a Vergil thing to do, and it's rational and evil.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
In my opinion, evil

1. He attempts fratercide (murder of one's brother)
2. He was prepared to unleash a horde of Demons onto the Earth over a sword.
3. Dropping Lady off the tower.
4. Killing his suboordinates without a thought.
5. Beating on Beowulf's corpse with his (Beowulf) own soul.

Yeah, he's an evil selfish prick.

1. Well its not like Dante wasn't attempting to do the same thing especially in the last fight where he says he will Vergil if he has to. Just like Dante, Vergil has a goal and Dante stood in his way so he did what he had to do to accomplish his goals. He even gave Dante the option to side with him.

2. That is true but considering the sword its highly likely he could wipe out all demons on Earth with Sparda and how he wanted to be like his father he mostly likely would become like Syndrome from the Incredibles (Unleash a threat on mankind and then save the day getting all the glory and becoming the next "Savior" in fact in the DMC4 manga....though its not official but since the same guy who wrote DMC3 wrote it as well Vergil even told Sanctus that he, Vergil, will be the next one they worship as a God...just like his father). Vergil wanted more than his father's power he wanted his fame and legacy. Even Dante speculated he wanted to be just like daddy.

3. That was Arkham's doing. In fact he left Lady alive when he passed her on his way to Arkham.

4. Arkham and Vergil were allies not subordinates. Arkham showed weakness and Vergil saw that his weakness could be a hindrance to him. When Vergil made a deal with Arkham, he joined up with him because he saw how evil Arkham was and how he could be of use to him but when Arkham showed traces of humanity by letting Lady live rather than kill her like Arkham promised he would Vergil saw that the reason why he joined up with Arkham wasn't there he terminated their contract because he sees that Arkham will only get in his way. Its more cruel than actually evil but the fact is Arkham planned for that to happen he knew letting Lady live will get him penetrated by Vergil because he knew how Vergil was and the degree of their contract/alliance.

5. The same demon that tried to kill him. Its okay for Dante to shoot Nevan in the gut or blow Agnus brains out (despite him admitting he can't win and is more interested in what Dante meant about "humanity" than continuing to fight) but Vergil demonstrates his stylish new moves on a demon (who lets face it the entire game/series gets treated as crap unless if their good) that is classified as villainy. Vergil did to Beowulf is what we (Dante/Nero) do to demons on a regular basis.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
1. Well its not like Dante wasn't attempting to do the same thing especially in the last fight where he says he will Vergil if he has to. Just like Dante, Vergil has a goal and Dante stood in his way so he did what he had to do to accomplish his goals. He even gave Dante the option to side with him.

2. That is true but considering the sword its highly likely he could wipe out all demons on Earth with Sparda and how he wanted to be like his father he mostly likely would become like Syndrome from the Incredibles (Unleash a threat on mankind and then save the day getting all the glory and becoming the next "Savior" in fact in the DMC4 manga....though its not official but since the same guy who wrote DMC3 wrote it as well Vergil even told Sanctus that he, Vergil, will be the next one they worship as a God...just like his father). Vergil wanted more than his father's power he wanted his fame and legacy. Even Dante speculated he wanted to be just like daddy.

3. That was Arkham's doing. In fact he left Lady alive when he passed her on his way to Arkham.

4. Arkham and Vergil were allies not subordinates. Arkham showed weakness and Vergil saw that his weakness could be a hindrance to him. When Vergil made a deal with Arkham, he joined up with him because he saw how evil Arkham was and how he could be of use to him but when Arkham showed traces of humanity by letting Lady live rather than kill her like Arkham promised he would Vergil saw that the reason why he joined up with Arkham wasn't there he terminated their contract because he sees that Arkham will only get in his way. Its more cruel than actually evil but the fact is Arkham planned for that to happen he knew letting Lady live will get him penetrated by Vergil because he knew how Vergil was and the degree of their contract/alliance.

5. The same demon that tried to kill him. Its okay for Dante to shoot Nevan in the gut or blow Agnus brains out (despite him admitting he can't win and is more interested in what Dante meant about "humanity" than continuing to fight) but Vergil demonstrates his stylish new moves on a demon (who lets face it the entire game/series gets treated as crap unless if their good) that is classified as villainy. Vergil did to Beowulf is what we (Dante/Nero) do to demons on a regular basis.

Again couldnt agree more with this on all five points vergil was evil..to a point..i dont believe he was totally evil because he didnt go out of his own way to cause evil, pain or destruction but if you were in his way you would die. evil seems to me like causing pain and misery wherever you can while vergil simply does what he wants to reach his goals no more no less

TerrorA

I love how everyone's ignoring that Vergil did something Dante and Nero don't do. HE BEAT ON A DEAD BODY, PEOPLE!

When Dante kills a demon, he lets their body fade away and tries out his new weapon ON THE AIR OR STILL LIVING ENEMIES, NOT THEIR CORPSES!!!

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
either way he tested out the new weapon he got from killing beowulf...vergil is evil to a point beowulf got in his way vergil killed him and then proceed to bash around his body again vergil doesnt go oput of his way to cause misery and pain but if you get in his way(beowulf charging in) he will end you and then make an example of you

Top Bottom