• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I'm Disappointed at Gamescon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railazel

Well, it's kind of hard to show a deep story in a two minute long trailer.

Not really, they just have to add things that keep you guessing. Just a two- second clip of something that makes the story seem more than what it is.

This is how the age of "casual" gaming came to be. Pleasing everyone in video games has always ended catastrophically.

That depends on what you're adding in. Like I said, just the right elements are needed.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Well, it's kind of hard to show a deep story in a two minute long trailer.

This is how the age of "casual" gaming came to be. Pleasing everyone in video games has always ended catastrophically.

You can't please everyone but you can at least please a fan (or fans) who is willing to look past the looks and changes and look at what makes a game count...gameplay and content...also story.

I don't care what they show me as long as what they show me is GOOD.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Casual gamers? *Shudder*

Listen, I don't want anyone to cater to the casual gamers, and make everything in the game appeal to TRUE HARDCORE GAMERS! That's what it would be like if I ran the industry, no more people who play "Angry Birds" trying to pose as nerds, when all they really are is casual gamers.

Railazel

Honestly, at this point it would appear you two are simply trolling.

I want to put a meme here but then it would like I was really was trolling, wouldn't it?

In all seriousness, I'm just empathizing with Stylish's viewpoint. NT just needs to do a little bit better. At least for me, all they need to do is just show something that will really get my brain going. For example, I thought that the Bob Barbas fight would've presented a moral question about whether Dante was actually killing real people but that was shutdown with the whole "It's all lies" excuse. You know what I mean? Stuff that really makes me think about the game I'm playing.

scionicspectre

I, for one, hope they don't reveal much more until the game comes out. Maybe a story trailer that wraps everything together and explains why Mundus bears emphasis in this particular setting, and maybe another stage and weapon, but beyond that I feel like it would be way too much. A game isn't supposed to entirely reveal itself to fans before they can even get their hands on it.

Besides, it would force all the naysayers to actually play the game before they decide whether the story is good or not.

Tiran

The great pretender.
What?

Personally, I figured that NT would make a much deeper story than the past DMCs. However, it seems that all they did was just mesh them together into an origin story and put a spice of social satire on it to make it more creative, which doesn't really make it any deeper than any of the other games.

I feel the original story had all the necessary elements to make for a deep and engaging narrative, it's just that it was never the aim of Capcom to do so. The fact that this game meshes the previous mythos into a single focused narrative is actually a good thing. The social satire is just the extra layer that NT is adding to expand the scope and bring the fight to us.

Now, it's not Dante going to a remote location to contain a small demonic invasion, the demons pretty much already own us and we don't even know it. This is Dante trying to save a world that doesn't know- and probably- doesn't want to be saved with all the elements, even the world itself, trying to destroy him. This game is deeply metaphorical. We are drowning as we revel in our own demise. A young, misunderstood hero who feels the world is out to get him... A brother who is a reflection of the man he isn't 'causing Dante to introspect on his life and it's direction. ...and Vergil, a possible knife in the dark?

That makes this Dante's job even more difficult than previous Dante's. It puts him at a precarious situation socially as well as personally with the emotional family elements from the original series deeply woven into all of this.

The game is deep, the problem is it's just not subtle. It's the delivery, not the content.

Dante47

I, for one, hope they don't reveal much more until the game comes out. Maybe a story trailer that wraps everything together and explains why Mundus bears emphasis in this particular setting, and maybe another stage and weapon, but beyond that I feel like it would be way too much. A game isn't supposed to entirely reveal itself to fans before they can even get their hands on it.

Besides, it would force all the naysayers to actually play the game before they decide whether the story is good or not.
DAT POST

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I feel the original story had all the necessary elements to make for a deep and engaging narrative, it's just that it was never the aim of Capcom to do so. The fact that this game meshes the previous mythos into a single focused narrative is actually a good thing. The social satire is just the extra layer that NT is adding to expand the scope and bring the fight to us.

Now, it's not Dante going to a remote location to contain a small demonic invasion, the demons pretty much already own us and we don't even know it. This is Dante trying to save a world that doesn't know- and probably- doesn't want to be saved with all the elements, even the world itself, trying to destroy him. This game is deeply metaphorical. We are drowning as we revel in our own demise. A young, misunderstood hero who feels the world is out to get him... A possible knife in the dark?

That makes this Dante's job even more difficult than previous Dante's. It puts him at a precarious situation socially as well as personally with the emotional family elements from the original series deeply woven into all of this.

The game is deep, the problem is it's just not subtle. It's the delivery, not the content.

Mixed in with your signature it seems soooo.....proper.

chocolatepanda

This is what I expect from DmC:
-No less than 20 missions, more than 20 great
-A lot of unique and challenging bosses and boss fights
-A story that is at least better than all past DMC games....and anything Kamiya and Platinum ever wrote
-10+ weapons, 10 is fine but over 10 would be great
-More moves and combos than any past DMC game
-Great and enjoyable yet challenging platforming (I see that only in the Night Club stage the rest are bland as hell)
-Bloody Palace Mode(just be in there and I don't care how...having a lot of stages like 9000 was intense and long but having 90-100 stages TIMED was a pain in the ass but whatever)
-As much difficult modes and return DMC4's old difficulty modes (Dante Must Die, Heaven or Hell, & Hell & Hell)
-It being an actual challenge
-15-20 hours of gameplay time
*Most of all....a BOSS BATTLE MODE (I won't be disappointed if its in there but having it would make a VERY HAPPY COSTUMER...DMC was long due for this)
*Vergil mode seems possible and I would like to play it if its well done

Most of this seems like it'll be in the game. They've said look at previous DMCs to gauge the of missions, modes and difficulties. Even mentioned difficulties for hardcore players who want a challenge. The only thing that doesnt seem like it will be in there to me is challenging platforming, Virgil mode and Boss Battle mode. The platforming just seems like an extra to keep u occupied when you're going from point A to point be that looks cool. When it comes to weapons if u count guns as well there's at least 7 atm E&I, Shotgun, Erxy, Arbiter, Osiris, second angel weapons yet to be shown, and Rebellion so it seems likely that more than 10 or at least 10 weapons will be in the game.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
No less than 20 missions? How many missions do the other DMC games have?

DMC1 was 23, I believe... DMC2 was 18 for Dante and 13 for Lucia, so that's 31... DMC3 had... 20, exactly, I think. And I don't remember how many DMC4 had.

Huh. I thought 20 missions sounded kind of off the wall, but I guess now that I think about it, it's not such a bad assumption.

...Wow, this post contributed a lot, huh? *sigh*

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Most of this seems like it'll be in the game. They've said look at previous DMCs to gauge the of missions, modes and difficulties. Even mentioned difficulties for hardcore players who want a challenge. The only thing that doesnt seem like it will be in there to me is challenging platforming, Virgil mode and Boss Battle mode. The platforming just seems like an extra to keep u occupied when you're going from point A to point be that looks cool. When it comes to weapons if u count guns as well there's at least 7 atm E&I, Shotgun, Erxy, Arbiter, Osiris, second angel weapons yet to be shown, and Rebellion so it seems likely that more than 10 or at least 10 weapons will be in the game.

Well okay maybe not challenging but at least it gotta be fun other than angel lift here, demon pull this, angel glide over there and advance. That type of platforming would've worked if the stages were well more intense....the Night Club stage doesn't reuse the old angel and demon pull gimmick but it does incorporate the angel and demon mode gimmick in a creative way that makes it remotely challenging and they even applied this platforming to the enemy battles to make the platforming more interesting.

Cause sure past DMC games had static platforming that was mainly solving puzzles and overcoming obstacles but at least those obstacles and puzzles tested my collective and puzzle solving skills. Now its like a cheap Sonic-MegaMan type platforming....I would be fine if they used Sonic type platforming but its a cheap version of that.

Sure it looks nice but its nothing else than that...granted the Night Club does have nice platforming and I'm not against the angel and demon weapon gimmick being the main source of the platforming but when its done uncreatively like Overturn...is when I lose interest. Underwatch actually had some pretty neat platforming....but it was mainly at the church part and the parts where the walls are trying to crush you.....even if they move slow as hell.

Besides the laser beam/Search Light at the near end of Overturn made it pretty fun as well...I guess....but it seemed pretty easy...like I was expecting more of an intense challenge..not it shooting at an obvious area or it chasing you like slow as hell.

Oh geez the Virility Factory.....from what I've seen it looks the worst....maybe I'm wrong but looks the most bland...at least Overturn had that laser beam and the angel boost (kinda like that air boost from Sonic Heroes) to add some spice to the platforming but all the Virility Factory has is demon pull that and angel lift to those....something Underwatch did but better.

Out of 4 stages showed this far.....that is my current thoughts on the platforming....Night Club (Devil Dalliance) looks like the best because the platforming was more enemy & combat orientated, Underwatch is pretty good and I cut it some slack since its early in the game and not too shabby, Overturn is meh....it could've been better if the stage was a bit more intense and it seems way too easy, and Virility Factory.....UGH.

I just hope there is more to each of those stages and much more stages that have better & more creative platforming.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I thought the games con reveals were fine.I just want to know if they are any other characters that are playable.

chocolatepanda

Well okay maybe not challenging but at least it gotta be fun other than angel lift here, demon pull this, angel glide over there and advance. That type of platforming would've worked if the stages were well more intense....the Night Club stage doesn't reuse the old angel and demon pull gimmick but it does incorporate the angel and demon mode gimmick in a creative way that makes it remotely challenging and they even applied this platforming to the enemy battles to make the platforming more interesting.
The night Club stage looked the simplest to me platforming wise, all you had to do was a demon stomp to make the path appear not much thought require. Oh yea you forgot to mention that the demon stomp using the Erxy will also be used in platforming. Other weapon will most likely have a platforming purpose too. But i cant really understand what you want from the platforming using the mechanics shown. Also you cant judge the Virility Factory since we've only seen bits and pieces from trailers.

They may make slight changes to the game like having boost rings in the church instead of all angel lifts at the end. For the most part what they show us is just taste, we wont get the full meal till January.

Rumors

None other games revealed more than DmC did.
Compare it Tomb Raider, Watching Dogs, God of War or even RE6..
The game has still 4 months and TGS, PAX, Comic Cons to go.
You have more than 1 hour total gameplay.
Both fightplay and stageplay..
2 bosses, 10 enemies, 4 weapon, new gun moves, new trailer.
You have seen even Vergil whos fans were dying to have him.
You know he is playable,too
A standart game is like 4-6 hours long but you dare to want 15-20 hours long game.
And everybody knows every DMC game has backward missions

Stop acting like blind fanboys, be reasonable and try to show some respect to the team.
They deserved it
Its really hard to make a perfect game better and fully new.

Razyel

Soul Reaver
Greedy.....I'm paying $60 for this game...I better get my money's worth.
Try not to take it too literally, there's a fine line between enough pre-release information and spoiling the plot, besides it's gamescon not E3, obviously you excpected too much but try to understand that for some of us the reveal of Vergil was the biggest thing since the hangover trailer.

I'm actually afraid that they might have given us too much...

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
None other games revealed more than DmC did.
Compare it Tomb Raider, Watching Dogs, God of War or even RE6..
The game has still 4 months and TGS, PAX, Comic Cons to go.
You have more than 1 hour total gameplay.
Both fightplay and stageplay..
2 bosses, 10 enemies, 4 weapon, new gun moves, new trailer.
You have seen even Vergil whos fans were dying to have him.
You know he is playable,too
A standart game is like 4-6 hours long but you dare to want 15-20 hours long game.
And everybody knows every DMC game has backward missions

Stop acting like blind fanboys, be reasonable and try to show some respect to the team.
They deserved it
Its really hard to make a perfect game better and fully new.

Obviously your not soaking in my posts.

I said I'm not disappointed in how much I got..I'm disappointed in WHAT I GOT.

I got a sh*tty looking and bland weapon, bland platforming, an easy looking boss, and a trailer that only answered one thing and raised more questions that asked while Alex promised Gamescon promised some of our questions will be answered and a special treat for old time fans at Gamescon. We got none of that....unless if Capcom think Vergil being in the game's story will satisfy old times then they're idiots. The story itself doesn't look that impressing either.

Zilla

The inFAAMous
I felt that the Vergil reveal was mammoth. Especially considering that up until that point there had been absolutely no official hints or implications that He was even anywhere near this game's universe.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I felt that the Vergil reveal was mammoth. Especially considering that up until that point there had been absolutely no official hints or implications that He was even anywhere near this game's universe.

At the beginning there was no indications that Mundus was anywhere near this game's universe and after his reveal it didn't matter if Vergil wasn't revealed yet....he was going to be in the game or a sequel cause he is a vital part of the original series and dammit it wasn't a matter of him being in it it was how and many people who just saw the leader of the Order in the E3 trailer were already guessing that was Vergil. So no shocker there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom