• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

If Hideki Kamiya would have stood in charge of devil may cry?

Would Hideki Kamiya made the Devil May Cry series better.

• Total voters

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I think the series would be in a different place but whether or not it needs him to come back is another question entirely.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I think the series would be in a different place but whether or not it needs him to come back is another question entirely.

It's too late for that...well he could've come back after DMC3....but DMC4 nope...it hailed the fact the damage or whatever has been done...Kamiya can no longer make DMC the series he wanted it to be but the only way is through an alternate timeline game like a timeline that branches off from DMC1...a Kamiya continuation of DMC1 ignoring what happened in DMC4 & DMC2 but Capcom might make Kamiya focus on aspects in DMC3 & DMC4 (relating to Vergil & Nero + Sparda that is).

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
It's too late for that...well he could've come back after DMC3....but DMC4 nope...it hailed the fact the damage or whatever has been done...Kamiya can no longer make DMC the series he wanted it to be but the only way is through an alternate timeline game like a timeline that branches off from DMC1...a Kamiya continuation of DMC1 ignoring what happened in DMC4 & DMC2 but Capcom might make Kamiya focus on aspects in DMC3 & DMC4 (relating to Vergil & Nero + Sparda that is).
Which people might have gone with since capcom was ignoring 2 and people feel that they should ignore 4 given it's lack of answers but for all we know kamiya could want to deal Nero and Vergil.

It is fair to say that cap com could have given him free reign to do whatever he wants like they with ninja theory or even itsuno back in 3.

I feel we don't need him back to deal with contuinty issues as we just need someone is willing to sit down and actually answer questions. Main reason why we have a lot unanswered questions is because of laziness. Was it really hard to tell us why Dante got so quiet in 2 or how is Nero related to Dante?

Those question should have ready been answered.

Agility

"Known"
Which people might have gone with since capcom was ignoring 2 and people feel that they should ignore 4 given it's lack of answers but for all we know kamiya could want to deal Nero and Vergil.

It is fair to say that cap com could have given him free reign to do whatever he wants like they with ninja theory or even itsuno back in 3.

I feel we don't need him back to deal with contuinty issues as we just need someone is willing to sit down and actually answer questions. Main reason why we have a lot unanswered questions is because of laziness. Was it really hard to tell us why Dante got so quiet in 2 or how is Nero related to Dante?

Those question should have ready been answered.

At the time DMC 2 came out the "quiet" protagonist was known as "badass" in Japan.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Yeah Dante's quietness issue wasn't really a well planned out idea but it worked....if you weren't a fan that is...but it is with DMC4 is when Capcom screwed themselves.

I personally would've like it if DMC4 was after DMC2 cause in the TGS trailers it seemed that way and he appeared that Dante had a big attitude change after his trip from hell....attacking innocence, killing soldiers(who appeared to be human at the time), and yada yada to get something from Nero that belonged to him. It would've turned into a better storyline than what DMC4 was.....in fact it was because it was before DMC2 that limited its story telling potential....like for DMC3-DMC1...DMC3 had to had Vergil fall into hell and explain how he became Nelo Angelo....that is the only down side to prequels.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
It doesn't really seem like DMC2 Dante's personality was actually supposed to be consided different in story. No one in the game commented on it, there was nothing that even hinted at there being a reason and in the DMC2 novel he acts basically the same as DMC1 Dante. Its probably best to ignore the difference unless it is shown in another game or an explanation is provided.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
It doesn't really seem like DMC2 Dante's personality was actually supposed to be consided different in story. No one in the game commented on it, there was nothing that even hinted at there being a reason and in the DMC2 novel he acts basically the same as DMC1 Dante. Its probably best to ignore the difference unless it is shown in another game or an explanation is provided.

Lets just say Dante ran out of corny, creative, and funny stuff to say so he stayed quiet.

Besides DMC2 isn't that much different from his other counterparts....DMC3 yes but the anime version was kinda like him and DMC1 Dante was pretty quiet too....I mean sure he said some odd stuff but he wasn't like DMC3 Dante and DMC4 Dante....isn't too....far...off...from his...DMC2 self.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Lets just say Dante ran out of corny, creative, and funny stuff to say so he stayed quiet.

Besides DMC2 isn't that much different from his other counterparts....DMC3 yes but the anime version was kinda like him and DMC1 Dante was pretty quiet too....I mean sure he said some odd stuff but he wasn't like DMC3 Dante and DMC4 Dante....isn't too....far...off...from his...DMC2 self.

I'd say out of all the Dante's is DMC anime's personality was the closest to his DMC2 personality.

he was still cocky like he was in DMC2, but was also a lot less talkative and wise cracking than the his DMC1,DMC3,and DMC4 counterparts.

Its such a shame really that Capcom changed up his personality so much.

it only furhter added to the "weirdness" that is the Devil May Cry story.

DMC3 Dante= VERY talkative and loves to wise crack at any chance he gets
DMC1 Dante= Talkative and wise cracks moderately.
DMC Anime Dante= Not that talkative but retains his cocky swag
DMC4 Dante= VERY talkative like his DMC3 counterpart and has upped his wise cracking and 1 liners x2.
DMC2 Dante= Silent, but retains his cocky swag

Anybody who read this can obviously tell Dante's attitude in games is pretty inconsistent to say the least lol.

It all would have been ok if the following games where in this order

DMC3
DMC4
DMC1
DMC Anime
DMC2

That way his attitude could be attributed to him simply growing up and maturing.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
The series isn't timestamped so you don't know how far apart each game is from each other so some of the changes feel random. So the timeline is what you make it and you don't have to take cap com's word since they just make it up as they go along.

But the series spans decades and people change from time to time as they deal with different things. Dante's quietness in the anime and 2 could be to him coming to terms with his brothers death.

Dante reaction in 4 could be him dealing with the revelations of 4. It's in his nature to be flippant before he accept something bad.

gaiusofdante1991

Philosopher, novelist, and avid gamer.
As far as the storyline goes, Hideki should've stayed on to outline how it should pan out. I'll admit, I'm glad that they came up with DMC 3, mostly in part because it lead to my first Devil May Cry game, DMC 4. However, because the plot line was handed over to a different game designer, the only concern was selling the game. My experience with CapCom's games are usually good ones. Granted, there are aspects that needed improvement, some drastically so, but overall good. However learning the story behind the Devil May Cry series has been a rather large headache. I'm still trying to figure out all of the finite details for my fanfiction, and almost all of it leads back to insubstantial speculation.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
As far as the storyline goes, Hideki should've stayed on to outline how it should pan out. I'll admit, I'm glad that they came up with DMC 3, mostly in part because it lead to my first Devil May Cry game, DMC 4. However, because the plot line was handed over to a different game designer, the only concern was selling the game. My experience with CapCom's games are usually good ones. Granted, there are aspects that needed improvement, some drastically so, but overall good. However learning the story behind the Devil May Cry series has been a rather large headache. I'm still trying to figure out all of the finite details for my fanfiction, and almost all of it leads back to insubstantial speculation.

Actually the same team who worked on DMC4 also worked on DMC3..

gaiusofdante1991

I'm referring to the sequel, Devil May Cry 2. Unless I'm mistaken, Hideki wasn't a part of the DMC series since its premiere with the first game. After the first game, they handed the project of a sequel over to another game designer, then another, which produced the prequel game DMC 3. The axiom, "Too many cooks in the kitchen," seems to be apply rather appropriately here.

gaiusofdante1991

Its such a shame really that Capcom changed up his personality so much...

It all would have been ok if the following games where in this order

DMC3
DMC4
DMC1
DMC Anime
DMC2

That way his attitude could be attributed to him simply growing up and maturing.

In a perfect world, this very thing would've happened, but the thing is, all characters go through changes. It's a fundamental literary tool to put ordinary people in extraordinary situations. In the example of Dante, he's half demon. That's his first extraordinary situation. Now, in regards to your ordering schematic, I have to disagree. As it is: DMC 3, DMC1, DMC Anime, DMC 4, DMC 2, probably outlines his most likely path of maturation. Think about. In DMC 3, Dante's still a kid. He's still discovering the world, the full force of reality hasn't hit him dead between the eyes just yet. Then he meets Lady and realizes sh*t happens to other people too.

In DMC 1, he's had time to get his priorities together, and even try to live a little in the process. Then things start to go downhill. Trish lures him to Mallet Island, Mundus tries to kill him, repeatedly, and he faces an opponent who could probably kill him without breaking a sweat. After his fight with Nelo Angelo, things just flat out go to hell from there. First, Dante discovers that Nelo Angelo was actually his twin brother, Vergil, after he kills him. Then Trish finally betrays Dante, but fails. What's more? In a moment when Trish looks like she's going to be crushed by a pillar of stone, Dante saves her, despite the fact that she tried to kill him. Why? For the sole reason that she looks like his mother. Yet that selfless act in the memory of a loved one ends in vain as Trish pushes Dante out of the way of Mundus' attack, believing that she died. After he defeats Mundus for the first time, Trish comes back at a critical moment to save him.

In the animated series, Dante is solemnly left to deal with his brother's death. However, he tries to put on a brave face anyway and keep doing what he was doing in the first place, but that's not enough. Left to his own devices, Dante would have turned more bitter. He probably would have turned evil, but something happened. Patti, this sweet, innocent, little girl slapped him right smack dab in his greatest moments of melancholy, and woke him up to reality. Slowly, but surely, he began to forgive himself for his brother's death.

In DMC 4, Dante faces Nero for the first time. Obviously, this is just another fight to him, at first. As he fights Nero, though, he senses something...familiar about this kid. Almost unwittingly, he begins to act as something of a father figure, or more like a caring uncle. As the two clash, Dante realizes that Nero reminds him most of his brother, Vergil. Though it also wouldn't go too far amiss to say himself, if only a little. As Dante helps Nero grow, he becomes more and more like his old self.

In DMC 2, Dante has gotten old, and his old demons — forgive the pun — are finally catching up with him. It's been years, he's still searching answers, and there doesn't seem to be enough time in the world to make amends for his past mistakes before he lays to rest. His humor is lacking and dry. Trish and Lady have grown apart from him and are living their own lives outside of his. Nero, though family, also has his own life. So, the only thing Dante has left is his job, and his search.

You see, a character's progression is not linear. It is not designed to move one way or another in a constant, logical flow. All characters, and their creators, have one sole purpose in mind when these ordinary people are put into these extraordinary situations: Who am I? Yes, Dante's character would have made more sense if he had slowly descended from his arrogant witticisms to the strong silent type. If he did, however, he would be a tragic hero. DMC 2 would be his grave, rather than the biggest cliff hanger in all of the DMC fandom.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I'm referring to the sequel, Devil May Cry 2. Unless I'm mistaken, Hideki wasn't a part of the DMC series since its premiere with the first game. After the first game, they handed the project of a sequel over to another game designer, then another, which produced the prequel game DMC 3. The axiom, "Too many cooks in the kitchen," seems to be apply rather appropriately here.

Actually DMC2 was handled by the same team of DMC3 & DMC4 but DMC2 wasn't handled story wise like 3 & 4 so after they f*cked up DMC2's story they hired a professional writer and novelist (Bingo Morihashi) to write 3 & 4. 3 was very good possibly the best story in the game and 4 could've been better but the new producer they hired for 4 was a bit of an incompetent douche who wanted to through in a new main character (Nero) and literally didn't want to explain his background or who the hell is he because he wanted to keep it a mystery for future games (I assume) but Bingo left Capcom because of it and then wrote a novel that apparently was the true or his original version of the script of DMC4 which explains Nero's entire background this with some extra scenes and bonuses that probably wasn't going to be in the game but hey he had total freedom this time.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I dont know if an outline would have helped because I dont think Kamiya fully planned out the series. He might have had vague ideas of what he could do for a sequel but i dont think they were fully planned ideas.

Outlines only help if you have people you can trust to follow them in your stead, so even if he did there is no guarantee they would follow it.

the too many cooks in the kitchen metaphor is apt but it feels more like a kid hiding their mess under the carpet rather than dealing with it because the creators tend to run from problems rather than dealing with it.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I dont know if an outline would have helped because I dont think Kamiya fully planned out the series. He might have had vague ideas of what he could do for a sequel but i dont think they were fully planned ideas.

Outlines only help if you have people you can trust to follow them in your stead, so even if he did there is no guarantee they would follow it.

the too many cooks in the kitchen metaphor is apt but it feels more like a kid hiding their mess under the carpet rather than dealing with it because the creators tend to run from problems rather than dealing with it.

Is that a metaphor for what you think of the reboot?

Top Bottom