• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I don't see how Donte's a douchebag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
I think that Donte have his level of assholery, but even Dante had some of it. Sometimes he has no consideration with other persons feelings, the scene of he "teasing" Lady while she is sad because of what Vergil did to her father is one example of this, but he obviously understands that in the same scene and stop being retarded, which is kinda fun to be honest.

Despite DMC 2, 3 and 4 being versions of DMC 1 Dante, they more or less kept the look of Dante and who he was.

He was still half demon and half human
Still same universe

The characters personality were different but everyone critized this. example DMC 2 Dante
DmC Dante on other hand lives in a "parallel universe" and arent the same guy.
But when you speak of Dante from DMC, that covers all the Dantes: 1, 2, 3 and 4 + the anime.

So in a way yes they are versions as well. But not to the same extent as DmC Dante.
Reinterpretation or not, NT Dante has ALOT things copied from original Dante. Your right its not a exact copy, but i never said he was, i simply meant he copies original Dante.

Someone can argue a lot about how their personalities are that different, but Dante has always been the joker, funny "i don't give ****, you can use the toilet if you need" demon hunter. Seriously, who in the world can be considered "serious" when this person laughs and make jokes about someone invading his office with a motorcycle? They've just make sure to emphasize this side of his personality in DMC3 (which makes sense in there, because his younger and bla bla Vergil bla bla Amulets bla bla Demon World) and it turned out to be the more iconic version of Dante, so for obvious "fan-service" and marketing purposes they've made him similar to DMC3 incarnation in DMC4 (which is really confusing and seems out of place, but understandable) instead of making that silent, "serious" and boring guy we see in the forbidden game. He could have been developed in both ways, if he was exactly the same as he appears in the first game people would still say it's bad writting because he had no character development over the time, we have a breach to complain about nearly every writting in the world because in the end of the day the only thing that can really be measured is that if it's coherent or not, or if it's so badly ****ed up that even nanomachines can unfuck it anymore.

And about his background: the vast majority of DMC games, even the forbidden one, talks a lot about his family and specially his father, even Dante's motivations relates to his background: which is clearly his father's good and righteous heart and the murder of his family, the anime makes clear that he was a lonely guy and hints obvious things like he still misses his family. It's not like some people try to draw the picture that he doesn't have anything backing up what he does or express and that the original series is just like an arcade game; i really think people who say that never bothered to look up at the hints and think about the story presented in the games or are just too devious to admit that it had something behind the "Let's slay demons with CUHRAYZEENESS, YAY!".

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Finally, she admits it.

Even Reuben Langdon said in an interview (couldn't find it) that DMC3 was a reboot.
You really gonna argue with Classic Dante, here? :troll:

i think DMC3 is a "soft relaunch" more than a reboot. like batman in the 80's. it told the same exact story as the one in the 40's and 50's but it had a redesign in style. sorta like how DMC3 is a prequel but changes the style of the DMC franchise

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
http://www.thegamingliberty.com/2011/08/dante-speaks-an-interview-with-reuben-langdon/
Right there

" I’m not involved so I can’t say much but because I was involved in 3 and 4 I do know the history and that 3 was a reboot of the series. The new game is that as well"

Thanks for the find. In reality, I was actually too lazy to look. :troll:

She? that was a she?

Ha-yup. She's a keeper, ain't she?

i think DMC3 is a "soft relaunch" more than a reboot. like batman in the 80's. it told the same exact story as the one in the 40's and 50's but it had a redesign in style. sorta like how DMC3 is a prequel but changes the style of the DMC franchise

Good answer. Still a "redesign" though in my opinion.

I see more the reboot of DC universe after Crisis on Infinite Earths; The look and some history stayed the same, but some important details did get changed.

An even better explanation. Good call on that one.

DMC 3 and 4 Dante were dumb.
DmC Dante can be just as dumb.

They're even.

DMC 1 Dante is best.

There. You can all go home now.

SMT Dante is the best.
glove-slap-o.gif

You have insulted my honor! :mad:

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
If you kill the mother of a puppy, separate the puppy from its sibilings, kick it, abuse it, probably starve it, torture it, keep it locked up, let it escape and run away so you can run it down to kick it some more, make it live in constant fear of you.....

Then that puppy will grow up into a REALLY ****ed off dog, that will have been socialized to oathe and despise you and anything with your scent. But do you call the dog a stupid emo douchebag, when it lashes out and mauls it's abuser right in the ass-cheeks? No, you blame the owner who did this to the dog, and punish them for their crimes against the dog.

Then you work on rehabilitating the dog, then which Kat comes into play. You work with the dog little by little, get it to open up to you, and try to love it. Eventually, the dog will learn that not everybody wants to harm him, that somebody loves him.

But if you try anything ever again, that dog will still have one mother ****in' mean ass bite.

Sorry for the graphic explanation guys, but I wanted to get my point across.

Yes,but we are talking about a human being,a rational being. The example with the puppy you wrote is good,because humans also have animal instincts,but that's why we are above them,because we think,because we differentiate,and we aren't only based on natural instincts. That's why I think,DmC Dante is a character based more on basic instincts,like acting in a 'rude' way just because he himself had a difficult childhood,but this doesn't mean he has to behave like this with others.He doesn't make the difference at first,that's why coming in contact with people he trusted 'tamed' him.I made this point in a previous post also. That's why I found him so ...frustating at first,and to me,he didn't make a good impression but as I previously said,I liked him more by the end.

Domenic93

First, I understand "differential", but it's more respectful of the character to notate "Reboot Dante" or "NT!Dante" instead of "Donte", that name was coined for the sole purpose of insulting and belitting teh character.

Adressing Dante's speech to Mundus after Lilith's death, remeber he only did that because it was the only way to **** Mundy off enough to get him away from the Hellgate, and it was Vergil's idea to do anything possible. Dante had promised to protect Lilith and her baby so long as she cooperated, and VERGIL violated that trust. So Vergil's the actual douche there.
yeah, I could think of another easy way to **** off mundus, Jarate. Just fill a jar with some ****, and throw the jar at him and taunt him. he has such a volatile temper that would be enough

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
yeah, I could think of another easy way to **** off mundus, Jarate. Just fill a jar with some ****, and throw the jar at him and taunt him. he has such a volatile temper that would be enough
But Mundus did keep his cool at first when Dante was talking to him.
When Dante entered the office, Mundus didn't attack him. The first thing he did was ask why Dante killed his child. He was pretty calm about it.
He only started to get angry after Dante changed his story and said it was for revenge and how he enjoyed watching his child die. The breaking point for Mundus seemed to be when Dante said he was like a demon bitch.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
I don't see why some people call Dante an asshole. There's a difference between putting on a façade of cockyness or happiness and actually being an asshole.Protecting humans and fighting demons doesn't seem to me something a douchebag would do.

But laughing at a girl who's talking about her mother's death and her father being the killer isn't douchebagery?

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
But laughing at a girl who's talking about her mother's death and her father being the killer isn't douchebagery?

I don't think this gets to the level of a douchebag, but what he's doing is pretty much assholery. He's teasing and playing with her (not laughing at her face because of the story she's telling) giving like 0 ****s about her feelings and having the time of his life, he doesn't apologize too but this have a context, she shooted him in the head early, twice; and he was just trying to help her. But he clearly understands what is going on there and even low his head in the end of her speech.

As VineBigBoss said,at the end of her speech he lowers his head.
I think he understands those family matters because he has trouble with his family too.That's why when she said "It was all supposed to end by my hand" Dante doesn't joke with her anymore,because he was going to do the same with his brother,he was the only one going to fight him and end it.Also,when she mentioned it was HER father,he changes his attitude.

Bazilican

I don't think this gets to the level of a douchebag, but what he's doing is pretty much assholery. He's teasing and playing with her (not laughing at her face because of the story she's telling) giving like 0 ***** about her feelings and having the time of his life, he doesn't apologize too but this have a context, she shooted him in the head early, twice; and he was just trying to help her. But he clearly understands what is going on there and even low his head in the end of her speech.

As VineBigBoss said,at the end of her speech he lowers his head.
I think he understands those family matters because he has trouble with his family too.That's why when she said "It was all supposed to end by my hand" Dante doesn't joke with her anymore,because he was going to do the same with his brother,he was the only one going to fight him and end it.Also,when she mentioned it was HER father,he changes his attitude.

So...he's a big enough asshole to kid around and laugh at having a gunfight with a woman who's father killed her mother, and now she's saddened that her father died by someone else and not her, but just because he "lowers his head" he's not an asshole anymore?

I don't think so.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
So...he's a big enough asshole to kid around and laugh at having a gunfight with a woman who's father killed her mother, and now she's saddened that her father died by someone else and not her, but just because he "lowers his head" he's not an asshole anymore?

I don't think so.

Nope, mostly because she tells him Arkham's story and that he's her father in the middle of all the action. And you ignored that i said she shooted him in the head twice early on practically the same day this scene happens (and he was clearly ****ed about this) while he was trying to save (and make jokes with that) her.

Bazilican

Nope, mostly because she tells him Arkham's story and that he's her father in the middle of all the action. And you ignored that i said she shooted him in the head twice early on practically the same day this scene happens (and he was clearly ****ed about this) while he was trying to save (and make jokes with that) her.

Then that's pretty scumbag of him. It's all fun and games until you get shot in the face, but when her father dies and she's mourning that she couldn't kill him instead, it's back to fun and games?

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Then that's pretty scumbag of him. It's all fun and games until you get shot in the face, but when her father dies and she's mourning that she couldn't kill him instead, it's back to fun and games?

And what's the point? Is not Lady the asshole here too and starting the assholery all the time? She is the rude and agressive person to begin with: in that same scene she is the first to pull the trigger too, and again: twice. She shoots him when she enters the room and them try to shoot him again after he says: "So what if i did?"

Why do you are insisting this much in forcing this impression when he was mostly defending himself from a barrage of shoots, being sarcastic like always and joking with a women who shooted him in the head for nearly nothing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom