• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I don't see how Donte's a douchebag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
One wants power, the other wants to stop him. doesn't seem very deep to me.

DmC in going in the same direction so this isn't an excuse.

There needs to be conflict in order to be interesting or to develop the character's personality.They need to be put in front of difficult situations and emotional ones.

I don't see why there is so much whining.

Also,this is only the idea of the game,the fact that is can be portrayed with much more depth and seriousness,is the real deal,you get it?

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
But they didn't even bother to put much emphasis on this nor did they even leave subtle hints to it. All I got from Vergil was that he was a power hungry sociopath in nice clothes.
For DMC3 Vergil they didn't explain much, but some things about his personality are shown subtly in the game. Like when the two confront each other at the top of the tower and Vergil says this:
'Might controls everything - and without strength, you cannot protect anything; let alone yourself.'

So I got from that Vergil is still scarred by what happened to his mother and brother. The demons were powerful, strong enough to destroy his family. So I guess Vergil reasons that iIf he'd had enough power back then, he could have saved his family.

Also the way Vergil is willing to stay in hell because it was their father's home. He also fights Mundus at the end purely because Sparda did it and he wants to be like Sparda. So I guess that is evidence for him wanting to be like Sparda to compensate for his perceived weakness as a child.

IncarnatedDemon

Despite DMC 2, 3 and 4 being versions of DMC 1 Dante, they more or less kept the look of Dante and who he was.

He was still half demon and half human
Still same universe

The characters personality were different but everyone critized this. example DMC 2 Dante
DmC Dante on other hand lives in a "parallel universe" and arent the same guy.
But when you speak of Dante from DMC, that covers all the Dantes: 1, 2, 3 and 4 + the anime.

So in a way yes they are versions as well. But not to the same extent as DmC Dante.
Reinterpretation or not, NT Dante has ALOT things copied from original Dante. Your right its not a exact copy, but i never said he was, i simply meant he copies original Dante.

But they didn't even bother to put much emphasis on this nor did they even leave subtle hints to it. All I got from Vergil was that he was a power hungry sociopath in nice clothes.
Yes, I hope the sequel uses more flashbacks to explain where Vergil is coming from. I think Downfall did a good job of addressing some of this (see what Loopy said), and a sequel needs to take it even further. I want the final fight between him and Dante to make me feel conflicted as a player, like I don't want to kill him because I understand where he's coming from.

Also , Nero was supposed to look like Dante because he is said to be part of his family. He's not a copy just because he looks like him in some aspects. He's got a different attitude and personality.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD

There needs to be conflict in order to be interesting or to develop the character's personality.They need to be put in front of difficult situations and emotional ones.

I don't see why there is so much whining.

Also,this is only the idea of the game,the fact that is can be portrayed with much more depth and seriousness,is the real deal,you get it?

I know that, and true I don't think DmC did a very good job with that character's depth and it seems to be copying DMC3's lure, but at least with DmC there's more to it then Vergil just being Dante's opposite in every way from the way he speaks to the blue contrast.

Also , Nero was supposed to look like Dante because he is said to be part of his family. He's not a copy just because he looks like him in some aspects. He's got a different attitude and personality.
I don't see that. He seemed to be acting like a wanna be Dante or a cosplayer acting like Dante but adding his own style to it.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I know that, and true I don't think DmC did a very good job with that character's depth and it seems to be copying DMC3's lure, but at least with DmC there's more to it then Vergil just being Dante's opposite in every way from the way he speaks to the blue contrast.

I don't see that. He seemed to be acting like a wanna be Dante or a cosplayer acting like Dante but adding his own style to it.
He seemed like DMC3 Dante, but more emotional (that 'KYRIEEE' crying scene) and also Nero has a bit of a temper. He's more angry than DMC3 Dante was.
For me, I think Nero could have been a great character if only he'd been given some backstory and more time to develop. He had a lot of potential...and I loved his devil bringer. It really added something new to the gameplay.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Despite DMC 2, 3 and 4 being versions of DMC 1 Dante, they more or less kept the look of Dante and who he was.

He was still half demon and half human
Still same universe

The characters personality were different but everyone critized this. example DMC 2 Dante
DmC Dante on other hand lives in a "parallel universe" and arent the same guy.
But when you speak of Dante from DMC, that covers all the Dantes: 1, 2, 3 and 4 + the anime.

So in a way yes they are versions as well. But not to the same extent as DmC Dante.
Reinterpretation or not, NT Dante has ALOT things copied from original Dante. Your right its not a exact copy, but i never said he was, i simply meant he copies original Dante.

Let's get nitty gritty then. DMC3 was a reboot of DMC1, it drastically changed the backstory between Dante, Vergil, and the way Vergil came to serve Mundus as Nero Angelo. So therefore...there's THREE Dantes. DMC1 and 2+Novels, DMC3and4+following media, and then DmC. Which means technically three DMC continuities; DMC1 and 2 and they're related media, DMC3 and 4 and the related media there, and NT DmC. The DMC3 continuity is more so a retconned variation of DMC1's continuity. That's more in line with "copy". DmC tried to reinvent the entire SETTING, not just tweak the character; that's complete reimagination at the core, not "everything looks the same, but we rebooted."

But you won't see it that way because it's not mesh with your statement of "NT's Dante is a copy, not a seperate character reimagining the Dante we got in DMC1".

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
But at least DmC (well, Vergil's Downfall) shows us clearly what is going on in Vergil's mind, instead of leaving just subtle hints.

That's my problem with DMC3, personally, the fact that, although there are hints that point in the direction of a certain explanation, they are just TOO subtle imo. Proof is that many people interpret DMC3 Vergil as completely evil, and do not give relevance to his line "Without strength you cannot protect anything".

I don't see how Nero had the same attitude as Dante,since he fights with him , I think he finds Dante's behaviour to be annoying from his point of view,if you would have the same attitude as someone,would you try to fight him or try to be friends with him?
Cosplayer.Really? I said why he looks like him.
Yet,I agree he tried to ...have his own style added to it,but I can't say I'm too fond of him.

It's not trying to copy.
COPY = trying to look or act EXACTLY the same as someone or something. I don't think it's a copy since it takes place in different circumstances and also the character's personalities have some changes compared to classic DMC.
Also it's after all a Devil May Cry game. Do you except to be something completely different?
Many people would be angry if they would have changed it drastically.That's why they are reboots. They try to change some things but still stay true to the idea of the game and characters.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
But at least DmC (well, Vergil's Downfall) shows us clearly what is going on in Vergil's mind, instead of leaving just subtle hints.
With DmC Vergil, it is clearer what his childhood was like, especially considering Downfall. The comic also gave us more hints about Vergil's personality. How he used Kat even then and erased the feelings he had because feelings are a weakness.
I guess that would have something to do with his parents. Demon and angel fall in love and get killed for it. So Vergil would see love as a weakness and a danger.
That's my problem with DMC3, personally, the fact that, although there are hints that point in the direction of a certain explanation, they are just TOO subtle imo. Proof is that many people interpret DMC3 Vergil as completely evil, and do not give relevance to his line "Without strength you cannot protect anything".
That line of dialogue is one of the only hints to his personality, that and the fight towards the end, and the part where he fights Mundus and says he does it because Sparda did.
DMC3 Vergil just doesn't have his past or motives explained as clearly as DmC Vergil.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda

There's also the flawed interprication that Vergil is just so poorly misunderstood and did nothing wrong even though he made it clear he wouldn't care if the human world burns so long as he gains the power to overcome his own weaknesses and flaws. He's a villian, but a tragic one. I mean, this guy gets pegged as "samurai warrior honor code" even though he does not have such AT ALL. He backstabs his own cohorts, kicks his enemies when they're are totally down, gives no respect to anyone even if they are of equal match, and shows a very scewed sense of morality to begin with, let along "code of honor". People assume "Samurai Honor" just because he carries a Katana.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
There's also the flawed interprication that Vergil is just so poorly misunderstood and did nothing wrong even though he made it clear he wouldn't care if the human world burns so long as he gains the power to overcome his own weaknesses and flaws. He's a villian, but a tragic one. I mean, this guy gets pegged as "samurai warrior honor code" even though he does not have such AT ALL. He backstabs his own cohorts, kicks his enemies when they're are totally down, gives no respect to anyone even if they are of equal match, and shows a very scewed sense of morality to begin with, let along "code of honor". People assume "Samurai Honor" just because he carries a Katana.
Good interpretation. He is certainly not an honourable character.
He stabs Arkham because Vergil thinks Arkham still has fatherly love for Lady. Love is weakness to Vergil, therefore Arkham is weak and needs to die. Vergil was only using Arkham to guide him through the tower, and once he got to the last door, there was no use for Arkham.

Also, he was willing to ressurect the demon tower, unleashing demons onto the world just so he could get power.

I undersand how he came to think that way, but that does not excuse his actions.

And that's why I like both Vergils. I don't need to be fond only of hero-like characters like Dante but also to characters with flaws like Vergil. DmC Vergil also used Kat. And in the end,he showed his true intentions and had to fight his brother just because he didn't have the same view and beliefs as him.
You see,I actually like characters with some flaws,because they have human-like flaws like: pride,greed and such.

IncarnatedDemon

Let's get nitty gritty then. DMC3 was a reboot of DMC1, it drastically changed the backstory between Dante, Vergil, and the way Vergil came to serve Mundus as Nero Angelo. So therefore...there's THREE Dantes. DMC1 and 2+Novels, DMC3and4+following media, and then DmC. Which means technically three DMC continuities; DMC1 and 2 and they're related media, DMC3 and 4 and the related media there, and NT DmC. The DMC3 continuity is more so a retconned variation of DMC1's continuity. That's more in line with "copy". DmC tried to reinvent the entire SETTING, not just tweak the character; that's complete reimagination at the core, not "everything looks the same, but we rebooted."

But you won't see it that way because it's not mesh with your statement of "NT's Dante is a copy, not a seperate character reimagining the Dante we got in DMC1".
DMC 3 wasnt a reboot. The story told of how Vergil lost to Mundus was at most an alternative version if the creators had already planned the story for oriiginal Vergil.

Or are you saying that Vergil in DMC 1 had his story of how he lost to Mundus was told? No...so how can you reboot something that doesn't exist? The story of Vergil in DMC1 was "He lost to Mundus", and in DMC 3 Capcom told this story.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
DMC 3 wasnt a reboot. The story told of how Vergil lost to Mundus was at most an alternative version if the creators had already planned the story for oriiginal Vergil.

Or are you saying that Vergil in DMC 1 had his story of how he lost to Mundus was told? No...so how can you reboot something that doesn't exist? The story of Vergil in DMC1 was "He lost to Mundus", and in DMC 3 Capcom told this story.
Actually the story of DMC1 Vergil was "Mundus captured and brainwashed him since 8" as hinted at by the novel and as given in information provided by Kamiya. DMC3 changed that entire aspect, so yes, it was a reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom