• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I don't see how Donte's a douchebag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
There is no need to call him classic Dante when he has been Dante for over 10 years.
If you want to differentiate him from Ninja theory's Dante, then how about instead of calling Dante for classic Dante, call NT Dante for NT Dante and thats it.

Then we know whenever someone says Dante - we're speaking of original
When someone says NT Dante - we know its the reboot.
But what if someone was introudced to the series BY the Reboot, and thus knows NT Dante as their Dante, and then learns of original series? Thus you'd confuse them and then THEY would argue with you on how to term the Dantes. It's like Coca Cola Classic and New Coke; it's called Classic not to denote "no longer valid", but to denote "the original". By not giving original Dante a denotation, that says "this is the only REAL Dante, the other is just a copy."

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I know NTDante has more story, but one can easily discuss original Dante's childhood to see if you could roughly pinpoint how he lived.
But there's hardly anything to go by. I wish there was, but classic Dante just doesn't have much information about his childhood. There really is nothing to go by.
And that police stuff scene was stupid. Police goes after anyone who rebels, its that simple.
And what about the other scenes I mentioned?
Police would especially go after Dante as he is a nephilim whom Mundus wants to kill. As Lilith says, Mundus was looking for Dante ever since the night Mundus broke into the home to kill them all.
There are even security cameras to drag Dante into Limbo, so the Police trying to harm just Dante would not be an exception.
If Police went after Dante only then that would be 1 thing, but i am pretty sure he was part of a crowd of rebels causing trouble for the police.
Could have been, but nothing is certain.
So it doesnt seem like "Lets kill that 1 guy only".
But was he part of a crowd? Maybe maybe not.
Either way, Dante does get treated unfairly because of what he is. He says so himself that he gets dragged into Limbo on a regular basis and has to fight his way out.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
"Classic" is offensive to my delicate sensibilities.

I still say you're mentally unhinged. You take issue with almost anything recently. It's obvious that there's something off about you. And I don't mean that in a "mad-brilliant" way. I mean more in the "Howard Hughes" sort of way.

I honestly recommend seeking professional help. Seriously.

I really don't like this game -- but all that's over now, so I'm not going to complain about it. Due to bad sales, they're most likely going to go back to the regular (are you offended by that word too?) series. If there ever is a DmC2, it'll most likely be made with a smaller budget on a lower-end system to make sure they can make a profit this time.

Capcom has all but abandoned DmC at this point. The fans are most likely going to get what they want, and I'm almost certainly going to get the DMC3 caliber gameplay (if not from this series, then from another action game -- it's only a matter of time) that I've been waiting for.

All I have to do is wait. I'm not going to make a big deal out of this.

You shouldn't either. Calm down.

I just never saw this, and I think Incarnate is right about where it all this name calling stemmed from: frustration from passionate old fans of the series. I mean, the whole notion of "omg, Dante cusses and flips off people!" was blown out of proportion since DmC Dante wasn't the first person to utter or do those things; they were taken straight from Nero's personality in DMC4, and since DmC Dante is DMC3 Dante + DMC4 Nero combined, it made sense for him to say and do those things as well.

IncarnatedDemon

But was he part of a crowd? Maybe maybe not.
Either way, Dante does get treated unfairly because of what he is. He says so himself that he gets dragged into Limbo on a regular basis and has to fight his way out.
Demons mistreated everyone, even humans. original Dante was mistreated by demons too.

But that is nothing to use as argument for Dante having a rough childhood because it's mandatory for demons to hate the two Dantes.

And the police scene...doesnt seem to me that they were only after Dante. A bunch of riot poice and Dante is in middle of it.

Right...whats point of riot shields and batons for 1 person? Point: Riot police was there to stop the riot not kill Dante because they dislike him especially.

I am not saying NT Dante didnt have rough childhood - How many tiems must i say this?

But putting NT Dante on a pedestal and say "Rough childhood people" is really pretentious considering original Dante childhood, KAt's childhood, etc.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Demons mistreated everyone, even humans. original Dante was mistreated by demons too.
True, demons hurt and abuse indiscriminately, but from the information given about Dante, it seems like he had it worse than regular humans. If he wasn't ina demon run children's home being abused, he was in demon pirson.

We don't know how classic Dante was abused by demons. We are not given any evidence to support this. The most we know is that demons killed his mother. We don't know that demons followed him constantly, or abused him, or that he was in a care home run by demons or that he was in a demon prison.
But that is nothing to use as argument for Dante having a rough childhood because it's mandatory for demons to hate the two Dantes.
They hate the two Dantes, but we do not see classic Dante getting the same abuse that DmC Dante gets. Classic Dante does not have the same amount of backstory...he doesn't even really have much of a detailed past other than he is the son of Sparda, a demon, and Eva, a human. Demons kill his mother and his brother vanishes. That's all we know about his childhood. It's nothing compared to DmC's Dante.
And the police scene...doesnt seem to me that they were only after Dante. A bunch of riot poice and Dante is in middle of it.

Right...whats point of riot shields and batons for 1 person? Point: Riot police was there to stop the riot not kill Dante because they dislike him especially.
Because they wanted to beat Dante up maybe:troll: Either way, they would have known who he was because of what Mundus wanted to do to him. And if police were able to arrest him, he would have ended up in demon prison being beaten up by demons on a regular basis just like the Vergil comic.

I am not saying NT Dante didnt have rough childhood - How many tiems must i say this?

But putting NT Dante on a pedestal and say "Rough childhood people" is really pretentious considering original Dante childhood, KAt's childhood, etc.
I'm not putting him on a pedestal. But classic Dante doesn't have the same depth of background during his childhood for us to say the same things about him.
If classic Dante had been hunted by demons all his life, abused in care homes and demon prisons, then I would say the same about him. But Capcom did not give classic Dante is backstory. He got nothing, which is a shame. There was so much they could have done with him and explored his childhood, but we got nothing.

IncarnatedDemon

But what if someone was introudced to the series BY the Reboot, and thus knows NT Dante as their Dante, and then learns of original series? Thus you'd confuse them and then THEY would argue with you on how to term the Dantes. It's like Coca Cola Classic and New Coke; it's called Classic not to denote "no longer valid", but to denote "the original". By not giving original Dante a denotation, that says "this is the only REAL Dante, the other is just a copy."
Last i checked NT Dante is a copy of original Dante.

And if your playing DmC thinking "This is THE Dante! Oh Yeah Dante is back!" then your conceited.

Everything original Dante has done has served to be something for NT Dante to copy from.

If you however view DmC Dante as a different character who is A Dante, then your accepting reality.
Sadly though NT Dante isn't as independt character as new characters tend to be, he's a copy of original Dante.

Most of things surrounding NT Dante has been taken from original Dante. It doesn't make NT Dante not a Dante i.e a character with name Dante.

But it doesnt make him THE Dante that people know most for DMC.

He will be the Dante from DmC though as DmC continues.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
Just the way he acts in general especially to enemies I think the only people he was generally nice to was Kat and Vergil and in the end he tried to kill Vergil but Kat had to stop him. The worst for me was when he was talking to Mundas after Vergil killed Liliath and the baby that was just horrible and Izaya is pretty funny lol he also reminds me of this lovable sadistic *******
hiroomi_souma_by_gryalphk-d2z0g67.png

Yeah, but you don't really think he meant that do you? that was to get Mundus mad since Vorgil said to do it.

There is also VINO for Vergil. I think it stands for 'Vergil in name only. Also makes me think of wine:p

Vino actually sounds like a cool name.^_^

Speaking for myself i used to use these names to keep NT Dante away from Dante.

Because they aren't the same. NT Dante is a variation of Dante.
While Dante is just Dante or you could say THE Dante.

by that logic all Dante's shouldn't be called as the same since every Dante was a different variation.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
by that logic all Dante's shouldn't be called as the same since every Dante was a different variation.
THIS! ^^

All Dantes are different. DMC1 Dante had a good balance of serious and stylish and brave. Then DMC2 was too serious and stoic. DMC3 Dante was younger, like a wise cracking party guy and DMC4 Dante was like DMC3 but older and maybe a little cheesier.

IncarnatedDemon

No...when NT Dante was made he was clearly meant to be a variation of original Dante.

original DAnte was not a variation of Divine Comedy Dante or Cobra or Blade

He was inspired by Divine Comedy, Cobra and Blade.

So no your misunderstanding the logic.

EDIT:
YEs DMC 2, 3 and 4 was different. But they werent as drastic as DmC. Hence people continued calling them Dante but at same time critizing their flaws.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
This is why I've been saying they should use SMT Dante; he's calm without being a mute, and he has one of the best looks throughout the entire series (and they got the eyes right for him -- he actually looks like the proper box art this time around when compared with the unattractive in-game DMC2 version.

This way, Dante can remain consistent and everyone gets what they want.

But this is just my opinion. I just think that this particular Dante should be the official Dante, nothing more.

Edit: I only say this because I think he combines the best traits of all the other classic, regular, normal, ordinary, older versions of Dante.

Whoops. :troll:

Bazilican

DmC fans also blow NT Dante's history of "rough childhood" out of proportions as well.

The amount of times i've read people commenting about how Dante was such a poor child with rough childhood with a sob story.

Meanwhile original Dante...he never had a rouigh childhood.

I am not saying they didnt have rough childhood. Both of them did.

But for NT Dante DmC fans sure put more weight on his story of bad past than original Dante. So it's not like this mentality of treating the two characters differently is one sided. Both characters are treated differently based on the groups of people judging them.

NT Dante defintly had a poor childhood. I never got to connect with it because it was never seen. "Dont tell me, SHOW ME!" is what i am thinking.
And i saw little of where he was totured etc.

But i'll say this, when both the original and the variation have had a rough childhood and the fans of teh variation blown the variations story out of proportion, then it makes his story just looked pretentious.

And as i said, people called NT Dante douchebag out of frustration.

That's no different then people putting so much weight on Vergil and Dante's brotherhood in DMC3.

"Oh they have to fight each other for such a deep cause!"

One wants power, the other wants to stop him. doesn't seem very deep to me.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Last i checked NT Dante is a copy of original Dante.

No, a reimagination, not a copy. NERO was a copy with a different name. NT Dante is a reinterpritation of the Classic Dante. There is a difference.

And if your playing DmC thinking "This is THE Dante! Oh Yeah Dante is back!" then your conceited.

Everything original Dante has done has served to be something for NT Dante to copy from.

No, not COPY, reinterpritation. Get your terms right.

If you however view DmC Dante as a different character who is A Dante, then your accepting reality.
Sadly though NT Dante isn't as independt character as new characters tend to be, he's a copy of original Dante.

Yet you seem to not accept reality by saying NT Dante is only a copy of Classic Dante, when they ARE independent renditions of a character that even CAPCOM keeps reimagining with every game.

Most of things surrounding NT Dante has been taken from original Dante. It doesn't make NT Dante not a Dante i.e a character with name Dante.

But it doesnt make him THE Dante that people know most for DMC.

No, that makes him a reimagination and independent rendition of a character even Capcom keeps reimagining every time they do something with the series. You assume everyone started with the oriuginak, DMC series. There are a lot of people I've met who only know the old series as a result of the Reboot...so your logic there is FLAWED. They are both THE Dante, because they are seperate renditions of the character from DMC1. In fact, by technicallity, we have six or SEVEN versions of the character; DMC1, DMC novels, DMC3 Manga, DMC3, DMC2, DMC4, DMC anime, DmC...correction. EIGHT different interpritations.

Take your pick which one is THE Dante. But I'll give you a hint...

There is no wrong answer.

I see how he trusted no one,I understand it's due to his hard childhood,and I actually understand this... insufferable behaviour he has,because he has his reasons.I wouldn't call him 'douchebag' ,I would call him a more impertinent or obtrusive guy.

I'm just thankful that by the end of the game he actually becomes a more bearable character,and more close to my liking.
Old Dante was also cheeky,not that much as NT Dante but he was rebellious too,in a more...subtle and stylish manner.

Izaya is a douchebag,that guy likes to annoy the people around him on a daily basis,especially Shizuo,but I see him the more ironic and sarcastic character but he's douche-y most of the time.Yes,HE is a douchebag.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
That's no different then people putting so much weight on Vergil and Dante's brotherhood in DMC3.

"Oh they have to fight each other for such a deep cause!"

One wants power, the other wants to stop him. doesn't seem very deep to me.
At least with Vergil, you can put together from things in the game why he wanted power. He had a need to live up to his father's legacy and he needed power because he was powerless to save his mother and brother as a child. I guess he never got over that, so he thought gaining power was a way to compensate for his perceived failure of being too weak as a child.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Ok, everyone. New vote --

I'm thinking about opening a poll between the versions of Dante I like best (and only those versions), and let you guys decide which one is more deserving of having his own game.

Bazilican

At least with Vergil, you can put together from things in the game why he wanted power. He had a need to live up to his father's legacy and he needed power because he was powerless to save his mother and brother as a child. I guess he never got over that, so he thought gaining power was a way to compensate for his perceived failure of being too weak as a child.

But they didn't even bother to put much emphasis on this nor did they even leave subtle hints to it. All I got from Vergil was that he was a power hungry sociopath in nice clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom