• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I don't like the Yamato in DmC

Dusk Stalker

" Everybody gets a bullet!" -Axton
Yeah I agree with this, DmC Vergil's Katana didn't show any elegance or grace when it was crafted as the previous showed and it didn't show any importance in the game when I rented it.

TheNoHeartedBeing

DmC Yamato looks like its trying to be a ninjaku and a katana at the same time. Also Ninjaku is the type of sword Leonardo uses from ninja turtles
ninjaku.jpg
See the Ninjaku is pretty much straight and Katanas are curved. DmC yamato is kinda in between and to be honest i never noticed the look of the yamato in DmC. I never noticed it in DMC3 either until I saw concept art.

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
While I feel that the design was a little bland, you have to understand that it is a tool for killing. Vergil isn't going to a ball where he has to elegantly slice demons and get their feedback from them. A true warrior can pick up many types of weapons and be skilled with them. A design of something doesn't make it badass or cool, the wielder does.

Dark Drakan

Admin
This chancey guy really does think he so much better than others, doesnt he?
I mean I cant go to a single thread without being offended by his supreme knowledge of everything. On, top of that, he is a brony :/.

I know, im bored and have nothing to do. So i thought it'd be interesting to see how people reacted to my comment. :p
Plus, i hate bronies

Your boredom does not excuse you from obvious trolling.

****, I totally forgot about that:(

Have a warning to remind you for next time.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I like how they choose the prettiest, most polished "official art" for displaying the DMC3 o-katana, and then pick the jaggiest, ugliest "image" from the actual in-game graphics.

And the DmC Yamato saya (sheath) does indeed cover all of the blade. It was shown to do so in the cutscenes. Now you're just blatantly lying when trying to make the classic Yamato look better. Nice try.

I hate DmC, but I'm not going to defend the fans' attitude when bashing the game. I can say that I dislike the game, and leave it at that.

I don't go around posting flaws from the game (and lying about some of them) just to make my point.

The gameplay in DmC isn't as good as DMC3, but it also has it's own merits. And I'm not going to complain about the weapon design (something that doesn't even affect gameplay) unless it's something that I really have a problem with.

This thread is just another flame war waiting to happen. I'd like to discuss on how both Yamato designs could be improved, but people don't want to hear that. They just want to hear on how perfect the classic yamato is and how ugly the new one became because "it's all NT's fault".

I really would like this thread to be closed. It will end up as another "bash DmC" topic (instead of "improve DmC"), so I see no reason to keep it open.

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
I like how they choose the prettiest, most polished "official art" for displaying the DMC3 o-katana, and then pick the jaggiest, ugliest "image" from the actual in-game graphics.

And the DmC Yamato saya (sheath) does indeed cover all of the blade. It was shown to do so in the cutscenes. Now you're just blatantly lying when trying to make the classic Yamato look better. Nice try.
How about you actually prove that with facts and images instead of using "it is so because I say so" argument.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD

I hate DmC, but I'm not going to defend the fans' attitude when bashing the game. I can say that I dislike the game, and leave it at that.

I don't go around posting flaws from the game (and lying about some of them) just to make my point.

The gameplay in DmC isn't as good as DMC3, but it also has it's own merits. And I'm not going to complain about the weapon design (something that doesn't even affect gameplay) unless it's something that I really have a problem with.

This thread is just another flame war waiting to happen. I'd like to discuss on how both Yamato designs could be improved, but people don't want to hear that. They just want to hear on how perfect the classic yamato is and how ugly the new one became because "it's all NT's fault".

I really would like this thread to be closed. It will end up as another "bash DmC" topic (instead of "improve DmC"), so I see no reason to keep it open.

Well exsuse me, Mr. Fancy pants.

Here's an image of the yamato in game to prove that saya comment.
click

Notice how the rainguard doesn't fully go into the saya. RIGHT THERE.

I don't post flaws to prove that the game's bad. I post them just to show how it could be improved and built up upon.

The look of Yamato in DmC just irks me and I just wanted to show why. I take great pride in katanas and judging by your signature, you take intrest in swords as well. I'm not saying NT should be burned to the stake for making the yamato like that. I'm just saying they should have done better in designing it.

Zey

I came here to laugh at you.
And the DmC Yamato saya (sheath) does indeed cover all of the blade. It was shown to do so in the cutscenes.
The OP pic is the model in-game, so that's the "real one". If it can do that it cutscenes then is just lack of consistency.
hate DmC, but I'm not going to defend the fans' attitude when bashing the game. I can say that I dislike the game, and leave it at that.

OP doesn't hate DmC though. Everyone here have the rights to post what they like and what they don't about the game, they just need to follow the rules. Even if weapon design doesn't affect gameplay, it affect the artistic part of the game, which should be evaluated too

And again, this thread is about the weapon, not gameplay or anything else.
They just want to hear on how perfect the classic yamato is and how ugly the new one became because "it's all NT's fault".
If there are valid reasons to consider DmC Yamato ugly and that DMC one is better, I don't see the problem on discuss it.
This thread is just another flame war waiting to happen. I'd like to discuss on how both Yamato designs could be improved, but people don't want to hear that.

It's already done, so everyone have the right to discuss and express their opinion about it (that's the point of a forum), if a flame war begin that means members here can't take others opinion no matter how polished they are. This thread is about something negative (I know some people don't like to hear negative things, heh), but that doesn't mean is a hate thread, a member of the moderation came here too and he didn't closed the thread.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
I don't like it too, but i think it fits more DmC Vergil than classic Yamato would fit. He does not have that warrior mindset and attitude classic Vergil had and the classic Yamato seems like a sword that fits a warrior and not a modern "political" leader that's the son from some random demon that fell in love to an angel woman and betrayed his own kind, the context is very different: Dante and Vergil are sons from a well-known Legendary Dark Knight, makes sense to show their "strength" as warriors by making them use strong-looking weapons as a resemblance to their own father.

It comes to opinion in the end of the day, but the two different contexts will fit more or less some art designs. Personlly i like more the "sons of the Legendary Dark Knight that saved the human world" that are portrayed as powerful warriors with distinct (and even oppose) mindsets than the "sons of a lieutenant demon that fell in love to an angel and was enslaved by the general demon" that are portrayed as average modern joes that find themselves thrown in a political context between demons and humans and plays more political than heroical roles.

Threads like this are meant to compare and also for expressing everyone's personal taste and if not,to argue why.
That's why I will say my own opinion which is based on my personal choice.
It doesn't mean somebody wants to start a flame war just because one Yamato looks better than the other one.
If so,then ignoring it would be the best choice to do.

I think the DMC Yamato looked more elegant and like a true japanese katana and could be deadly when used.No wonder the original Yamato looks like one,we all know the games were made by japanese producers,and these swords have history and culture within Japan.I've always been a fan of the japanese swords because they could cut smoothly and also because they even have that beautiful sword art which I find very beautiful,the balance between using the sword in an skillful,ingenious and elegant way.
Now back to the topic,it's my own view on it,but the DmC Yamato looks quite..dull to me.

I don't like it too, but i think it fits more DmC Vergil than classic Yamato would fit. He does not have that warrior mindset and attitude classic Vergil had and the classic Yamato seems like a sword that fits a warrior and not a modern "political" leader
This is what I also thought of.
Katanas are usually used by skilled swordsmen and by warriors or heroic characters in different contexts,that's why I find it a little unfitting in DmC universe,but they had to keep some things from the old games even if the idea sounded a little too odd.

[Not to add the idea itself of adding swords in DmC universe was also ..weird]

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
While I feel that the design was a little bland, you have to understand that it is a tool for killing. Vergil isn't going to a ball where he has to elegantly slice demons and get their feedback from them. A true warrior can pick up many types of weapons and be skilled with them. A design of something doesn't make it badass or cool, the wielder does.

Is the wielder really a badass if he can't pronounce the name of his own sword right (DmC Vergil)?

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
Is the wielder really a badass if he can't pronounce the name of his own sword right (DmC Vergil)?
some people have issues with pronouncing words. But by your logic, if a master katana wielder can't say katana correctly, then he obviously doesn't know what he's doing right?

That's why he focuses more on the design for his clothes and not for his sword,right? I would actually prefer someone who puts more elegance and price to its own weapon of killing rather than on how they look.
And how can a skilled warrior truly be skilled with his weapon if it isn't good enough for its type? The design and how good it is when slicing demons matters,especially the sharpness to the katana,because these are swords with style.
My opinion,though.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Just made me think...did DMC3 Vergil ever all Yamato by its name?:/ American accents+ Japanese words= slightly off pronunication anyway. So, I don't think either Vergil would get the pronunciation exactly right.

The OP pic is the model in-game, so that's the "real one". If it can do that it cutscenes then is just lack of consistency.
I put the exact same model into Xnalara, and can confirm that the sword does not fit.

Just made me think...did DMC3 Vergil ever all Yamato by its name?:/ American accents+ Japanese words= slightly off pronunication anyway. So, I don't think either Vergil would get the pronunciation exactly right.
So it's better that he didn't do it ;).

Edit: I'm happy I speak a language that can copy almost any accent XDD

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
This is a hate thread, pure and simple.

You can try to cover it up with words like "discussion", "dislike", and "personal taste", but in the end, it's all sugar-coated toppings to hide the fact that you individuals need yet another reason to hate on DmC.

IncarnatedDemon

Unknown are you aware that there are 2, yes 2 concept arts of RY? (Reboot Yamato)?
Yamato_DmC.png
tumblr_mnfhbgxoSS1ryfipvo2_500.jpg

Most people in beginning when comparing Yamato to RYamato used these pictures.

So your wrong. But i presume you knew that.

Top Bottom