• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I don't like the Yamato in DmC

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
Now, beck then, when ever someone talked about the yamato, this would come to mind to a DMC fan.
Yamato_DMC4.png

Stylish, elegant, and just breathes powerful. An idol sword for a strong warrior.

But in DmC, now all I see is this;
tumblr_mnfhbgxoSS1ryfipvo2_500.jpg

Formed strangely, the curve of the blade is a slant instead, and the sheath doesn't even pass the rainguard of the sword. Plus it's bland black color is quite unappealing to me. It just doesn't say "this sword is a powerful magic katana that can kill any foe". I think NT should have gotten a better look at what a true katana looks like, cause this one looks crappy to me.

What do you guys think?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I'm trying to see your point but only if I can tell what the differences actually are. Are you just trying to mess with me Brazillican?

EvilX-81

That yellow thingy is the only difference. I don't get OP's post.

I f*ckin' hate that yellow tie.

Does have a point about the sword being longer than the sheath though. WTF is that about. Sheath could use just a *tad* more to it though like the classic version, but I like the dominant black color of the handle of DmC's Yamato But the white handle played well with the attire he wore.

Otherwise I like both of their designs. They're swords.

IncarnatedDemon

There is alot more than just a yellow tie thats different between the two katanas.

1) The pattern of the hilt
2) At end of DMC's sheath there is a silver thing
3) DmC's guard is smaller than DMC's
4) at end of DMC Hilt there is a dragon kinda thing.
5) DmC has a thing on the sheath near the guard, a drawing similar to 4) i mentioned above.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Just ran the Yamato model through xnalara, and yeah...the sword is too long for the holder, plus it lacks the tempered line that all swords like that have....so it's not even a katana if it doesn't have that tempered line.
It's more simplified and lacks the decorations that classic Vergil has for his...then again, classic Vergil's doesn't look half as good as that properly rendered image when the Yamato is seen in DMC3 graphics.

But, anyway....a sword is a sword. It's functional, not supposed to be pretty looking. I doubt demons being cut with it will be thinking 'doesn't that sword look good as it's slicing through my middle'.:p

Cabbage Detective

Cabbages <3
Just ran the Yamato model through xnalara, and yeah...the sword is too long for the holder, plus it lacks the tempered line that all swords like that have....so it's not even a katana if it doesn't have that tempered line.
It's more simplified and lacks the decorations that classic Vergil has for his...then again, classic Vergil's doesn't look half as good as that properly rendered image when the Yamato is seen in DMC3 graphics.

But, anyway....a sword is a sword. It's functional, not supposed to be pretty looking. I doubt demons being cut with it will be thinking 'doesn't that sword look good as it's slicing through my middle'.:p
Old vergil's yamato #TooClassy4Me

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.

As one with a terrible fascination for swords (come on Chimichanga, make your troll post about this, I know you want to :p), and who used them for some time, I can say that excessive decorations may REALLY get in the way. Like those of DMC Rebellion. A hilt like that would just be squishy in your hands.
But if they are not excessive, like DMC Yamato's, then that's another thing. Yes, if your primary concern is getting away with your life and (possibly) your body intact, then there's no need for decorations. However, for a warrior, his weapon is something more than a tool for slicing demons. That's why (little) decorations, like the little dragon engraved on the top of the hilt of DMC Yamato could become significant.
And I think the ribbon is something katanas have (at least, I bought a katana, and it has a ribbon placed exactly like Yamato's, with a special loop built in the sheath for it). I think it is used to tie the sword to your belt.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
The Yamato was one of the few weapons in this series that never really stood out with any kind of unique style. It was just a katana. But I guess you can say that's what made it distinct. Because it was rather normal but I'll go on the edge that is was just owned by Vergil. Place it in anyone else's hands and it probably wouldn't hold much significance.

Unlike all the other Devil May Cry weapons that sport a sometimes over the top design to really give the weapon a bit of that personality the Yamato just kept things simple. The reasoning was to show off Vergil's fancy to more traditional ways but I don't even think the character portrays the ideals the creators hoped he would. Honorable my ass.

I personally couldn't care less because they are still just katana swords. It's now like it went under some dramatic transformation. Who the f*ck cares?

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Had a look on google for katana swords.
samurai-swords-masahiro-tiger-katana.jpg

Katana.jpg

katana-blade_00382526.jpg

japanese-swords-samurai-swords-bushido-dragon-katana.jpg

The design on the handle seems like a common thing. But I definitely wouldn't have minded the handgaurd being a bit more defined like those in the pictures above.

Top Bottom