• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I don't like the Yamato in DmC

Zey

I came here to laugh at you.
Reported for thread escalation.

Reported for language and starting arguments.

You have been everything but civilized in regards to this thread. Reported.
urSNCCb.gif

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
C'mon guys , can't you see how bland new Yamato looks compared to the old one.

I mean the new one is a katana, that's fine and dandy, but the old ones a ...katana

...remind me what my point was again?

EDIT: After seeing this thread is a flame war, I'm just gonna leave, I'll come back when the mods are here to cool you all down

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
That's why he focuses more on the design for his clothes and not for his sword,right? I would actually prefer someone who puts more elegance and price to its own weapon of killing rather than on how they look.
And how can a skilled warrior truly be skilled with his weapon if it isn't good enough for its type? The design and how good it is when slicing demons matters,especially the sharpness to the katana,because these are swords with style.
My opinion,though.
...I think I should say in DmC Vergil's defence that Yamato had been given him by his father, and he kept it because, well, it's a powerful weapon, no matter how it looks..... :p

EvilX-81

I don't like it too, but i think it fits more DmC Vergil than classic Yamato would fit. He does not have that warrior mindset and attitude classic Vergil had and the classic Yamato seems like a sword that fits a warrior and not a modern "political" leader that's the son from some random demon that fell in love to an angel woman and betrayed his own kind, the context is very different: Dante and Vergil are sons from a well-known Legendary Dark Knight, makes sense to show their "strength" as warriors by making them use strong-looking weapons as a resemblance to their own father.

It comes to opinion in the end of the day, but the two different contexts will fit more or less some art designs. Personally i like more the "sons of the Legendary Dark Knight that saved the human world" that are portrayed as powerful warriors with distinct (and even oppose) mindsets than the "sons of a lieutenant demon that fell in love to an angel and was enslaved by the general demon" that are portrayed as average modern joes that find themselves thrown in a political context between demons and humans and plays more political than heroical roles.

You know, I personally like DmC's portrayal of this aspect in comparison to DMC's, mostly because in the originals Dante is always in his father's damned shadow, so he has little chance to carve out his own legacy, just being "the son of sparda." That and also I've grown to hate the "son of godly badass X" cliche; it's like it installs an instant path to greatness into them instead of earning it for themselves, or sometimes even betrays the idea that lessers can become greater than the legends (this was a blackmark against Kratos for me too. Guy was awesome enough without being the son of a god, and ultimately it brought very little to the table, "cycle of father and son" be damned.)

DmC's take on the otherhand has a lot of room for them to carve out their own destiny as the Sons of Sparda and Eva but also nephilim and themselves, while also having the parents potentially be pretty powerful in their own right but not thought of as near invincible like Sparda in the originals is almost alluded to at times. Afterall, Sparda was 2nd to Mr. frickin' Godmode before breaking away. That and I also find the whole sacrificing themselves to protect their children thing more relatable, while "Dark Knight and priestess saving the world" feels a comparably more nebulous, though some of that could be due to my own tragic headcanon of Eva beasting on hordes in a bloody mini-war while Sparda and the sons escape, and Sparda going down liek a BAWS for vengeance over his wife after hiding the children away.

Hmm... might turn this into an actual thread later, DMC Sparda vs DmC Sparda portrayals.

I seriously wish I was here when the forum had a peaceful atmosphere.
At least you could say something without getting told to shut up indirectly or to get 'reported' without even a plausible reason.

You know, I personally like DmC's portrayal of this aspect in comparison to DMC's, mostly because in the originals Dante is always in his father's damned shadow, so he has little chance to carve out his own legacy, just being "the son of sparda." That and also I've grown to hate the "son of godly badass X" cliche; it's like it installs an instant path to greatness into them instead of earning it for themselves, or sometimes even betrays the idea that lessers can become greater than the legends (this was a blackmark against Kratos for me too. Guy was awesome enough without being the son of a god, and ultimately it brought very little to the table, "cycle of father and son" be damned.)

DmC's take on the otherhand has a lot of room for them to carve out their own destiny as the Sons of Sparda and Eva but also nephilim and themselves, while also having the parents potentially be pretty powerful in their own right but not thought of as near invincible like Sparda in the originals is almost alluded to at times. Afterall, Sparda was 2nd to Mr. frickin' Godmode before breaking away. That and I also find the whole sacrificing themselves to protect their children thing more relatable, while "Dark Knight and priestess saving the world" feels a comparably more nebulous, though some of that could be due to my own tragic headcanon of Eva beasting on hordes in a bloody mini-war while Sparda and the sons escape, and Sparda going down liek a BAWS for vengeance over his wife after hiding the children away.

Hmm... might turn this into an actual thread later, DMC Sparda vs DmC Sparda portrayals.

I don't think anyone besides the 'supernatural' beings knew who Dante was,and demons just knew it was him due to their natural ability of detecting his nature.I don't think anyone would have guessed he's the son of Sparda.
And I think each of them brothers took an individual way and I don't think anyone helped them.Dante was an alone guy just like in DmC until he found people he can trust,I don't think anyone helped him besides Vergil,compared to DMC in which he needed to do all the job on his own.
If I recall corectly Dante wasn't even interested in his father's legacy and he used his inherited powers to protect and to fight against demons,not to pretend he's the son of a legendary dark knight and use it as his advantage for people to aknowledge him. I don't think he thought of himself so high as to pretend he's way too powerful because if he would have did so he wouldn't have worked in an agency and have financial problems,he struggled even with simplistic things like these.But it wasn't Vergil is DmC who had a lot of money to be the leader of an order?He already had his path insured and didn't have to struggle so much compared to Dante who didn't have any of these.It's not that different.
This being said,I don't know where Dante said was so interested in his father's legacy or to pretend he's the successor,he did it his own way.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
great hot pockets of delicious food - what in blue blazes is my inbox doing crammed with reports from this thread? ok seriously now, forums are for discussion and airing disagreements backed up with evidence to prove claims if such are made. it is NOT where you go to have everyone agree with you or pat you on the head. i do not want to see another report that is simply due to someone disagreeing with another person. ever.

this is not a daycare centre and i am most certainly not interested in wiping any more snotty noses because someone says your firetruck looks dumb.

carry on guys - most of you have a competent grasp on how it all works around here. the rest can buy me a new report button...

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
Well, this escalated quickly.

For an added entertainment value, listen to this song and start re-reading the posts:

Dark Drakan

Admin
Threads like this are meant to compare and also for expressing everyone's personal taste and if not,to argue why.
That's why I will say my own opinion which is based on my personal choice.
It doesn't mean somebody wants to start a flame war just because one Yamato looks better than the other one.
If so,then ignoring it would be the best choice to do.

To discuss not argue would be a better way to put it, people can have a discussion & debate points without arguing.

Domenic93

DMC3's yamato looked sharper. Because the hamon (tempered line) was more distinguished and gave that look of if you touch it lightly, it'll cut your hand off completely. And then the Boshi (final curve) was curved into a pretty sharp point.
the Reboot vergil's Yamato looks like he was trying to cut down trees with it(without the cutting dimensions)

Top Bottom