• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How to make an awesome Devil May Cry movie

icecooljr

I have always been a massive Devil May Cry fan ( DMC can even be called fun, but not a true Devil May Cry, MTV Dante was unbearable), Here is a video that looks at How to make an awesome Devil May Cry movie. Watch the video and comment on what you want to see in a Devil May Cry movie.

icecooljr

I was a little bit :D, anyway what do you want to see in a Devil May Cry movie. I make my videos so that I can create a discussion.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
And can we please stop with all the "true DMC" nonsense. That stuff is so old it's practically stale now.

Thank you. Personally, I think it's been done too many times to count.

However, I would actually like to film a demon hunting flick as well. Unfortunately, as a story, Classic DMC was too vague to really flesh out into anything more than a single short feature (without delving into a whole lot of fan-made head-canon, I mean).

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Foxtrot94: Yeah, of course you could flesh out DMC's story for a movie. There's nothing wrong with doing that. And without turning this into a DMC's story vs DmC's story thread - since they're both pretty much the same story overall when you really look at everything - I just thought that (since I've noticed it being mentioned a fair amount of times), that DmC was the prefered choice for doing a Devil May Cry movie.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Sorry I didn't see the guy's video before so I deleted the comment.

Ok, @icecooljr, lemme tell you something. You're maybe the first one I've heard that bothers talking about how action scenes should be done (which is mind blowing to me, it's DMC, it should be one of the most important priorities), and goddamn you know what you talk about. Wide and long continuous shots, yes. So much yes. No fast editing, no close-ups, no shaky cam. To do so, they'd also need an actor who knows how to fight and preferably can make his own stunts.

In the matter of story, as I said before, no need for a whole lot of lore to draw from. Take just a few elements and build on those. They're doing it that way for the Witcher movie, and it's a better choice, imo, as you don't run as much risk of jamming the movie with filler stuff and you can concentrate better on getting the pacing right, which was one of the strengths of DMC3 for example.

@LordOfDarkness
I've always thought DmC was more suited for a movie too. A live action one. But the guy posted his video on a DMC film, so I comment on it.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I've always thought DmC was more suited for a movie too. A live action one. But the guy posted his video on a DMC film, so I comment on it.

Hey no problem, that's fair enough. I can't see the video, so I didn't follow he's on about a DMC film specifically.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@icecooljr
Good Video.

I agree with @Foxtrot94 about how you want to shoot action scenes etc. The back half of the video is pretty good, just wished you spent more time on it.

The First part was ok but too onesided as you should have focused on other portrayals such as DMC2 and the anime. Especially the anime since it's the closest thing we have to see if a movie would work.

@Vergilius they could always just to flesh the Canon but that could be weird depending on what they do. DmC's TGS 10 got a lot of flack because people couldn't reconcile that version with Dante.

@LordOfDarkness people see DmC as being made with a film in mind because NT promoted it as one. Plus people compare it to a Hollywood adaptation like DragonBall Evolution.

But the classics shouldn't be that hard to make. I mean they pulled off Hellboy, DMC should be easy compared to him.

Last edited:

Frazz

General gamer
As someone who is interested in screenwriting, directing, and acting you hit on many of the points that I'd like to hit in my own DMC script. I'd have long continuous shots that stick to the back of the character like in the games and boss fights to punctuate the film. The story in my version thus far is simplistic and draws from DMC1 and bits of 3. I enjoyed this video as it confirmed to me that the kind of DMC film that I want to make is the kind that fans would like to see.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Personally, I think hellboy was different in comparison. There was already an established long-running comic book storyline in place.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Personally, I think hellboy was different in comparison. There was already an established long-running comic book storyline in place.
I meant in terms of aesthethics because people were saying they couldnt pull Dante off in live action, and I'm like "Dude they pulled off Hellboy, relax"

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I think it would have to look kinda like "Garo", a 2005 tv drama about a man who slays the "Horrors" (basically demons) which are all CGI. The special effects still hold up to today's standards.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
See, I sorta like the idea of Garo (just from hearing about it) because in order to at least have one decent season, you had to have a storyline that was good enough for the general audience.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
See, I sorta like the idea of Garo (just from hearing about it) because in order to at least have one decent season, you had to have a storyline that was good enough for the general audience.
Hell, Garo was so popular it had several spin-offs including films and anime.

But yeah, the monsters in Garo were very terrifying, some were more horror movie monsters than your typical superhero villains.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
The fact that you insulted DmC Dante (my favorite one) sort of turned me off at first, but I continued on.

I agree with most of the points. I think that if Devil May Cry did a mix of it's own story and the games, it could work. Not try to squeeze it all into one thing of course but take usable elements from each game and put it all in because, let's face it, Devil May Cry as a movie probably won't gander for a sequel unless we got some top writers and top actors to be a part of the movie, and I don't see Capcom going that far for just Devil May Cry.

For the action, I actually think wide shots tend to take away from the action, as oppose to being close to the action but far enough to see the moves being done. Because Dante will be swinging a big ass sword, there should be enough room in the shots to really show how long that ****er really is. Not only that, but there shouldn't be a large abundance of slow motion scenes. Only for when they count. Wouldn't want a Zack Snyder fest all over it like with Sucker Punch (good movie, but lots of slow motion scenes) In the choreography, I'd rather the actor for Dante have a less then refined swordsmanship. Dante's self-taught so he should fight like he is. As for gunmanship, it's not too difficult to shoot in more then one direction. Maybe a lil equilibrium type gun kata, but not be as flashy. And hand to hand combat, again, shouldn't be a perfect blend of Bruce Lee and Jet Li, but rather a Jackie Chan like approach with using the environment as a weapon as well. If Vergil IS in the movie, I feel the actor should display better skill then Dante so that the contrast can be clear about where these two come from. Vergil's swordsmanship being a more engaging iaito where it's not just a single cut and sheath, but more movements and stances to use.

The environment should reflect the mood rather then the tone of the series. If it's a heartwarming moment, go with warm colors. If there's tension, go with dark colors. Not everything should be a brooding grey castle of gothic stuff 24/7. That would be boring to the eyes. Speaking of castles, for the setting, it should be in a more historic place where there's a good mix of old Victorian settings and modern era. Possibly Venice Italy, or Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. No need for a New York-like city. Just somewhere where a sense of magic, and dark sorcery would find a small crack in. For the castles, I always got a theme of castles from France in DMC1, so for locations of castles, I would suggest Mont-Saint-Michel - Normandy as a destination.

The demons should reflect the environment as well. Just throwing any kind of thing into the place, would feel out of place. This is Dante going into THOSE demon's territory and their way of life. The demons should reflect where they are posted at. Also, for design, I feel these demons should be absolutely horrifying. We don't get to have ACTUAL scary devils in Devil May Cry, so for the movie's design of demons, I wanted what PT/Silent Hills was going to have; a mix of Junji Ito and Guillermo Del Toro.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Well, I won't go into DmC stuff here, since I skipped about half of the video after listening to the very first sentence, that was just unnecessary.

I agree with the sets having to be real or at least real most of the time. Hellboy is a really good example of how it should be done, even with Monsters etc.
I agree on the action as well. Looking at a recent movie example, Deadpool did the over the top action right I think. As long as these sequences are varied and not used way to often to loose their charm, it could work. A negative example for that would be Sucker Punch, which was the first movie in which the action actually started to get annoying to me later on in the movie.

I personally would keep the Strawberry Sundays in, since they have been part of Dantes character since the DMC1 Novel (I know it's non canon, but a little nod to it wouldn't hurt).

Storywise you'd have to do an origin movie, unless it's like the CG Resident Evil movies where it's really done only for the fans. If it's for a general audience they'd have to understand who Dante is by the end of the movie. Could be done through Flashbacks or maybe even a retelling of DMC1 or 3, maybe 1 with flashbacks to 3 at certain parts.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
  • TL ; DR at bottom for the lazy among you

Believe it or not, I'm actually in starch agreement with the portion about characterizing Dante---not because I agree with DmC's incarnation of the character being the worst, seeing as it was the only other one in the series besides 1's Dante to get anything resembling actual development---but because if it really was a DMC movie, it wouldn't resemble DmC in any tangible way.

DmC Dante's fine, but he isn't compatible with the nature of classic Devil May Cry. In a film adaptation depicting the original series (which I assume is the purpose of both this video and thread), Dante should resemble the kind of stereotypical action hero that Hideki Kamiya intended him to be, not a brash rebel that develops a sense of justice. Which brings me to my next suggestion, a point which I actually disagree with the absolute most regarding both this topic, and more importantly, this video:

If you're going to pick any incarnation of Dante to adapt to the big screen, DO NOT, FOR THE LOVE OF TALOS, USE DMC3 DANTE.

That unbearable, heaping insult to this franchise and Devil May Cry as an essence would damage this film in ways the anime came close to doing, but was never bad enough to succeed. It was the toxic layer of icing that made DMC3's story unbearable, on the simple grounds that he didn't undergo any kind of development, he didn't have any emotional variety, and he only had two tonal switches: Gibbering Unfunny Weaboo Doucheclown, and Gibbering Unfunny Weaboo Doucheclown x2.

I'm not saying this purely out of blatantly-colored bias against the third game and everything to do with it, I'm saying this as both a writer and someone who loves the series. A film is not like a bundle of poorly-made cutscenes for a game: it doesn't have the benefit of gameplay to redeem its terrible writing or portrayal of its protagonist. As a form of storytelling, a film
THRIVES on its characters being likable, and being fleshed out somewhat over the course of the runtime.

Which is why I highly recommend using the Dante from
DMC1, who in turn is represented quite accurately in the fairly-solid but sadly non-canon DMC novels. He has the classy, laid-back, confident nature characteristic to Dante's archetype, but he has a number of tendencies to facilitate his persona: he's suspicious, his cautious, he's wary. He gets angry, discouraged, disheartened, outraged. He doesn't dive into every fight if he doesn't have to, he doesn't compromise his role as a hunter for comedic effect, and most of all, he isn't overpowered and indestructible to the point where the audience can't possibly relate to him, thus rendering the narrative devoid of any actual stakes or tension. That sh!t works in a game, but it wouldn't last two seconds in a medium where the narrative was the sole driving force.

• TL ;DR: WolfOD64 still and always will hate DMC3 Dante and doesn't want his smug face in the DMC movie, and would much rather prefer DMC1 Dante be used for his characterization instead.
Otherwise, I'd do a DMC movie the way most fans would like it. My only other suggestion is that I'd like Screen Gems and Lakeshore Entertainment to make it, since they've won my belief over with their Underworld films that they could produce the vibe and the action of DMC beautifully.

Also, keep that talentless hack Bingo Morhiashi AWAY from the script. He already tainted the anime and two of the games with his presence, and he would surely regurgitate the same poorly-written drivel for the movie.

Top Bottom