• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

General DMC 5 Discussion

Sean Gow

Not me. Dive kick always was mapped to regular attack and "punch the ground" always to Style button so my muscle memory carried over from past games. I didn't have any problem.
Yeah I’m fully aware of that like.
Think I’m just over analysing it.
It only really ever bothers me when I’m JC’ing between kick and blow in mid air with those combos. Just me being lazy as always

DarkSlayer54

I'm guessin he means as it's less command inputs , u swap modes and get said modes moves

If balrog was one mode then you would need extra command inputs to fit all attacks in

I prefer two modes aswell , easy to swap between em too

But I can see how one mode incorporating everything would be good too

I can definitely see what you mean.

I think the cost of that is that it puts a higher load on memory. It's like a weapon switch within a weapon. If I want to go to Kick, and I'm using DSD... I have to first switch to Balrog and then switch to Kick, but I need to remember that I was in Punch in order to switch fast enough to not screw up my combo.

I think that's why I see the weapon as being more complex than one mode. I'm a fan of efficiency, if that's even a right word to use here. Like the DmC control scheme - I don't need to switch states multiple times to get to the weapon I want, I just go directly to it. I definitely see the subjectivity in it though, and I'm glad you guys pointed that out.

Is that just me over thinking everything or has that annoyed anyone else before now?
That bugs me as well. I like moves to have a consistent pattern wherever possible. I like Back + Attack to be a launcher, for example. If a weapon has a launcher and it's not on that input... Always bugs me.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
As I was saying, do not Devil Trigger Nero during Slow World's initial activation.
It cancels Slow World completely and the game doesn't care that you broke a Ragtime for it.

Nero's DT is touch sensitive. If you not holding down the L stick (he does the DMC4 DT burst uppercut) and it cancels whatever you are doing but if you're holding it down it doesn't and DT like how Dante does where nothing is cancelled. I'm not 100% sure I haven't gotten much time to practice everything in the game but that seems to be the case.

I can definitely see what you mean.

I think the cost of that is that it puts a higher load on memory. It's like a weapon switch within a weapon. If I want to go to Kick, and I'm using DSD... I have to first switch to Balrog and then switch to Kick, but I need to remember that I was in Punch in order to switch fast enough to not screw up my combo.

I think that's why I see the weapon as being more complex than one mode. I'm a fan of efficiency, if that's even a right word to use here. Like the DmC control scheme - I don't need to switch states multiple times to get to the weapon I want, I just go directly to it. I definitely see the subjectivity in it though, and I'm glad you guys pointed that out.

That bugs me as well. I like moves to have a consistent pattern wherever possible. I like Back + Attack to be a launcher, for example. If a weapon has a launcher and it's not on that input... Always bugs me.

An easy fix would be having Dante's weapon UI active at all time so you can see in your rotation which form of Balrog is active before you switch.

It still frustrates me that the biggest issue Ive had with Dante's gameplay in 4 is still present and arguably worst with Balrog mode change feature, you mean tell me with the dozens of hours of play testing they did no one complained about forgetting what weapon they had equipped or what weapon comes next in their rotation.

Last edited:

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
What aspect of the 2-mode system makes it easier to use?
Eving two mode make esayer because since you can use the punching mode to make only punch and combine it whit the sword master style give you even more move Than switching to the kick mode make you use only kick and having kick and punch whit just a single mode would have been a little confusing or for the sake of it they would have to sacrifice some move and maybe they would have put kick button for sword master and punch button for the attack button but some move could have been lost in the way I think... Also I think the same as ef9dante_oSsshea

DarkSlayer54

Eving two mode make esayer because since you can use the punching mode to make only punch and combine it whit the sword master style give you even more move Than switching to the kick mode make you use only kick and having kick and punch whit just a single mode would have been a little confusing or for the sake of it they would have to sacrifice some move and maybe they would have put kick button for sword master and punch button for the attack button but some move could have been lost in the way I think... Also I think the same as ef9dante_oSsshea

All the moves would be able to fit within one mode, but I would definitely see it as being Punch on Triangle and Kick on Swordsmaster.

For my Frankenstein control scheme, Swordsmaster is always active when I press Circle so that wouldn't have been bad for me at all. Circle just acts as a second attack button, but I can see that it would be annoying to constantly have to switch to Swordsmaster to use kicks.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
All the moves would be able to fit within one mode, but I would definitely see it as being Punch on Triangle and Kick on Swordsmaster.

For my Frankenstein control scheme, Swordsmaster is always active when I press Circle so that wouldn't have been bad for me at all. Circle just acts as a second attack button, but I can see that it would be annoying to constantly have to switch to Swordsmaster to use kicks.

You know Frankenstein is an abomination that man shouldn't have made. Not the best term to use for your control scheme. Granted what you want to impose in place of the current system sounds like an abomination.

Goldsickle

I m not trying to change you mind,
That's what everybody who tries to change my mind for the past 10+ years say.
I've had this conversation with different people a million times.
I say something and people form a queue to try and change the way I think.
And then deny about trying to change my mind when I call it out.
It's the same running gag and you can't pretend you're any different.

I will continue walking the earth thinking that the new setup for Charged Shots is objectively bad and there's nothing you can do about it.
You want to change that, either get better at arguing or back off.

"Opinions" is often abused as some sort of magic ticket to get out of arguments free when people are wrong.
A color-coded indicator provides more information than an ambiguous animated icon that prompts players to look closer for confirmation.
There's no "opinions" about that.
You prolong the argument by avoiding to address my rebuttals, like how I have to tell you "being good at a poor interface doesn't change that it's a poor interface" twice.
You also ignore my detailed explanations about how color-coding is integrated into human everyday life, while not explaining yourself, making your forced argument one-sided.

Adios kid...
99% of the time, people who tell me "we're done talking", "I'm not going to respond anymore", etc. will always return to get the final word.

That being said... I also think there's a lot of subjectivity involved. You can form statements about certain features being more efficient, and prove them with studies... but does it improve the experience? I think that question is much harder to debate.
I've seen enough Air Crash Investigations and Seconds From Disaster to know that there are such things as a "bad interface".
There's no "subjectivity" in the matter.
It's all black and white, right and wrong, functional and dysfunctional.

There's "preference", like whether you want to choose inverted or non-inverted, adjust your analog stick pressure sensitivity and so on but there are other aspects that are clearly "good" or "bad".

Nero's DT is touch sensitive. If you not holding down the L stick (he does the DMC4 DT burst uppercut) and it cancels whatever you are doing but if you're holding it down it doesn't and DT like how Dante does where nothing is cancelled. I'm not 100% sure I haven't gotten much time to practice everything in the game but that seems to be the case.
After I warned everyone about this, I totally did this myself earlier.
I am also seeing other S-Rank videos where other players made the same mistake and start Showdown, thinking that time has slowed.

I don't know why people are so upset about Fury's. They make it sound like they're such an incredibly hard enemy to deal with when in reality they're so easy to parry (maybe V is the only one who's got trouble) and they got little health.
You don't even need to parry them in some cases, since they're totally vulnerable as they appear.
Take Mission 8 for example.
The second the Fury appears, I just Break Away one of my Breakers to knock it down and then do a Super Buster to instantly kill them.
But you gotta Break Away when it can be knocked down.
If you do it when its spawning animation isn't completed, it will tank the attack.

Is that just me over thinking everything or has that annoyed anyone else before now?
I knew from the start Balrog will be trouble upon hearing that you have to "toggle" between kick and punch modes.
You're already toggling weapons, toggling style and toggling between kicks and punch will only make it more confusing.
I thought King Cerberus was going to be the same s***, since it has three different forms but it's designed in a way where all its moves are accessible without any mode change on the weapon itself (Swordmaster required, though).
I use Balrog due to my Real Impact dependency since DMC3 but I'd accidentally switch to kick mode from time to time.

Vergil95

That's what everybody who tries to change my mind for the past 10+ years say.
I've had this conversation with different people a million times.
I say something and people form a queue to try and change the way I think.
And then deny about trying to change my mind when I call it out.
It's the same running gag and you can't pretend you're any different.

I will continue walking the earth thinking that the new setup for Charged Shots is objectively bad and there's nothing you can do about it.
You want to change that, either get better at arguing or back off.

"Opinions" is often abused as some sort of magic ticket to get out of arguments free when people are wrong.
A color-coded indicator provides more information than an ambiguous animated icon that prompts players to look closer for confirmation.
There's no "opinions" about that.
You prolong the argument by avoiding to address my rebuttals, like how I have to tell you "being good at a poor interface doesn't change that it's a poor interface" twice.
You also ignore my detailed explanations about how color-coding is integrated into human everyday life, while not explaining yourself, making your forced argument one-sided.

99% of the time, people who tell me "we're done talking", "I'm not going to respond anymore", etc. will always return to get the final word.

I've seen enough Air Crash Investigations and Seconds From Disaster to know that there are such things as a "bad interface".
There's no "subjectivity" in the matter.
It's all black and white, right and wrong, functional and dysfunctional.

There's "preference", like whether you want to choose inverted or non-inverted, adjust your analog stick pressure sensitivity and so on but there are other aspects that are clearly "good" or "bad".

After I warned everyone about this, I totally did this myself earlier.
I am also seeing other S-Rank videos where other players made the same mistake and start Showdown, thinking that time has slowed.

You don't even need to parry them in some cases, since they're totally vulnerable as they appear.
Take Mission 8 for example.
The second the Fury appears, I just Break Away one of my Breakers to knock it down and then do a Super Buster to instantly kill them.
But you gotta Break Away when it can be knocked down.
If you do it when its spawning animation isn't completed, it will tank the attack.

I knew from the start Balrog will be trouble upon hearing that you have to "toggle" between kick and punch modes.
You're already toggling weapons, toggling style and toggling between kicks and punch will only make it more confusing.
I thought King Cerberus was going to be the same s***, since it has three different forms but it's designed in a way where all its moves are accessible without any mode change on the weapon itself (Swordmaster required, though).
I use Balrog due to my Real Impact dependency since DMC3 but I'd accidentally switch to kick mode from time to time.
Not trying eving the last world, but have you ever think of the fact that probably the other people you were talking to had different opinion and experience and were probably trying to just explain it like I did but you simply shut them up by telling that there Is no opinion and everything is like you sayd? Just think about it a bit.... Because that waht you did right here in this thread you tel your opinion and don't bother about what the other sayd, you are the one that not respect other opinion, nobody try to change your mind I just give my opinioni and sayd that for me it's fine but you try to tell me that my opinion is wrong and I should stay silence and accept your word, so dude probably you should calm down since this is a game we all love and I am here to share my opinion and feeling about the game and you can be ok whit that opinion or not... However as I sayd before I give my opinion and you can accept it or not it can even be wrong but you cannot tell me to not say and share my opinion and say that you opinion is an absolute fact, yeah having a different color for the charge shot is probably better but doesn't mean that the actual system is not fine since I find fine whit it and can use it pretty crystal clear... What s the problem in what I say? I just sayd that for me it s OK the way the charge shot system is, the color ecc... For you is not, that s different opinion your different experience, so as you can see I accept you perspective but you only watch you point of view and don't bother about what other sayd, what you are trying to do is telling me that I should not be Ok whit that system, but why would I if I am OK whit it? XD I already see you do this in other thread as well... I saw you going in thread that not even talk about dmc 5 and write that you hate the game but you buy it because your son want it, If I remember correctly this was you, you just go around and spread hate about the game telling everything wrong about dmc 5, yeah it s not a perfect game but probably you should watch the good things as well and appreciate the game as it is, since many of us love it...

Last edited:

Goldsickle

but have you ever think of the fact that probably the other people you were talking to had different opinion
Duh, I know other people have other ways of thinking.
But I don't go around trying to change minds like what you're doing.

The current Charged Shots interface is bad.
Does that bother you?
Does it gnaw at your soul that I still insist on it being an objectively bad interface and refuse to budge at your cries to have me acknowledge it as just my "opinion"?

Too bad.

You should stop trying to change how other people think.
The fault lies with you.

And again, you just hide behind "opinions" to mask the fact that you can't argue.
Opinions can be wrong too.
You can have the "opinion" that the world is flat but it won't change that you're dead wrong.

I told you you're going to try and come back to get the last word.
I can do this all day.
I know every one of you try to make a "cool exit" because you're too stressed to continue, so you try to hide it and hoping I'd stop posting when you "bow out".

Vergil95

Duh, I know other people have other ways of thinking.
But I don't go around trying to change minds like what you're doing.

The current Charged Shots interface is bad.
Does that bother you?
Does it gnaw at your soul that I still insist on it being an objectively bad interface and refuse to budge at your cries to have me acknowledge it as just my "opinion"?

Too bad.

You should stop trying to change how other people think.
The fault lies with you.

And again, you just hide behind "opinions" to mask the fact that you can't argue.
Opinions can be wrong too.
You can have the "opinion" that the world is flat but it won't change that you're dead wrong.

I told you you're going to try and come back to get the last word.
I can do this all day.
I know every one of you try to make a "cool exit" because you're too stressed to continue, so you try to hide it and hoping I'd stop posting when you "bow out".
I didn't say that you are wrong, never did, I just say that I am fine the way that system is, but you tell me that my opinion is wrong, and since for you is not ok ism should accept it as an absolute think... So who is trying to change people mind here? You come back and try to have the last world, I already told you that I am fine whit what you say.... Dude just grow up a bit... I JUST SAYD THA FOR ME THE INTERFACE IS OK... EXPLAIN ME WHY I SHOULD NOT SAY THAT IS OK... WHY? IF I CAN USE EASY? YOU SAYD THAT FOR YOU IS NOT OK... OK I ACCEPT IT, no problem whit it probably there are thousand of people who think like you but other thousand of people who think the interface is fine the way it is just like me... WHAT S THE PROBLEM HERE? XD You look like a 5 year old kid

Last edited:

Goldsickle

I didn't say that you are wrong,
There was no need for a direct sentence.
Your entire exchange with me was because you disagree and it didn't sit well with you for me to think the way I did.

You're never going to admit it for a million years but you're trying to change my mind.
I know, because I had this conversation a million times.

And you know what? I will keep talking s*** about dysfunctional mechanics.
There's nothing you can do about it.

If you still plan on trying to get the last word, could you at least format your posts better and not submit some clumped wall of text?
That's dysfunctional posting right there.
And it's totally not "just my opinion".
Your message formatting is bad and hard to read, just like the awful new Charged Shot interface.

Vergil95

There was no need for a direct sentence.
Your entire exchange with me was because you disagree and it didn't sit well with you for me to think the way I did.
Are you kidding me? I should have stayed sit whitout sharing my opinion, so that what this forum is about reading what other say but not sharing my opinion? This Is life kid, people can disagree whit you and they can talk and say what they think... But as I already tell you I never say you were wrong or other things I just say that for me the interface is fine but you didn't want it to be, you just want me to say OK the interface Is bad **** Capcom who made this **** they should change it, but I can't say it since I m ok whit it.... But you now know, it s ok you are right kid, all you written here is right, I didn't like the interface to now because you changed my mind, are you OK whit it now?
Now I m not writing anything else on this forum since it's not Ok to Share opinion here

Last edited:

Vergil95

Yeah, you should have kept quiet instead of telling me I have an "observation problem".
Sharing opinions is one thing but being tactless is another.
You are right kid... I already told you that you are right about everything you written, what you say is God word, is absolute

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Goldsickle - You might want to try and adjust that attitude of yours. Believe me when I say that life is far too short to be having arguments over such trivial things and it’s not about who is always right and who was wrong. That doesn’t make any difference where arguments are concerned because people aren’t going to think they’re wrong or admit stuff as stubbornness will always get in the way. Most of the time it stops anyone from simply saying “Yeah you know what, I might’ve been wrong about that”. But the way you were behaving about that whole situation was very silly and childish. And I have to agree with @Vergil95 you should be a little bit more mature about these things. Sure you can have your opinion as can anyone and you can think you’re right and you can say “people shouldn’t be allowed to simply hide behind ‘it’s my opinion’” to win an argument. But at the same time if the only thing that matters to you yourself personally is winning an argument or thinking you’re the only one that is right or that you’re the better person then whether or not people hide behind their opinions or not makes little difference. Because if those things are the only thing that matter to you then that is quite frankly, in my own opinion, silly.

Whatever problem you had with Vergil95 should’ve been left out of this topic and you should not allow yourself to get so worked up in your posts. I won’t tolerate your aggressive nature towards another member no matter what the dispute was about. In future please take your problems up with someone through other means if you find the argument is getting out of hand rather than derail the topic to argue and throw unnecessary jabs at others.

I’ve added a warning to your account for this behaviour and hope not to see it again. If any further arguing goes on here I will start locking members out of this thread as there’s no reason a good discussion should be spoilt just because of a certain few members.

Thank you and good day.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
That's creepy. It's as if the designers was looking over your work or something.

Jesus! Talk about a pun!

They're not meant to be combo mashers, they're meant to teach you how to use your moves.

I don't care what they were intended for, they're not fun the fight. In a game that encourages combo variety, I find them boring and tedious to fight. Those enemeies DTing on DMD further proves my point.

@Carlos Sorry it took me so long to respond to that one. I completely forgot about it.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I have started to warm to Nero as a character a bit more after Replaying the game again recently

I may have been a bit hard on him , still my least favourite male protagonist but he is a badass in his own right

And holds potential, he will never top Dante and Vergil for me though

Top Bottom