• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Gamescom Trailer

Agility

"Known"
Dante: "Whore mother? I don't know about mother but if you're calling me a son of a bitch you wouldn't be the FIRST!"

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Okay I'm just gonna try my best to ignore agilitys crap. Can't make any promises though

Anyway, as I've said, Reboot or not, making Vergil kind and caring is just stupid. I hope he at least develops into something similar to the old one, but with more depth

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Dante: "Whore mother? I don't know about mother but if you're calling me a son of a bitch you wouldn't be the FIRST!"
It's highly unlikely they had a different father as they were twins. But that would be an interesting trope

Agility

"Known"
Okay I'm just gonna try my best to ignore agilitys crap. Can't make any promises though

Anyway, as I've said, Reboot or not, making Vergil kind and caring is just stupid. I hope he at least develops into something similar to the old one, but with more depth

Silly boy. This is Dante's first time meeting his twin.

Dante47

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Except it is being made for capcom, Ninja Theory could just go to Capcom and say " due to fan reactions, We'd prefer to make this a new IP.", if They did that and Capcom said yes or no. I would've been fine.

No because it's already called DMC from the 2010 trailer, changing it now wouldn't make sense. Plus people would just call NT copiers for copying DMC. What fans don't understand is that DmC and DMC are so alike you'd have to be blind not to see. The gameplay is there, the moves are there, but some don't call it DMC simply because Dante looks different and it's a different setting. Look at the mechanics of DMC1 and then look at DMC3, they're drastically different, so why are people surprised?

Azurel

There are no set rules for a reboot, actually.

As for the similarities to the previous games and this being an unrelated, new ip with Devil May Cry slapped on it...

Imagine if this Dante's name was not Dante and his brother was not Vergil. Even if the names for everything were changed and this was an original Ip by Ninja Theory for, say, Namco... They'd very easily get sued by Capcom for copyright infringement and every DMC fan would wholeheartedly agree. It is THAT much the same.

I agree. This is what I've been thinking all along. You can't make a new IP that's overly similar to another one. EA only got away with it in Dante's Inferno (ripping off both DMC and GOW) because... well, they just bully their way into the market. And that game still didn't sell well, so, whatever.

So after enjoying the fact that Dante got to see a picture of him and his family when he was a kid, I can't help but enjoy the fact that even when they were kids, Dante's hair was still black and Vergil's is full on white. So maybe his hair will stay black in this Devil May Cry universe?? :D (I'm just one of the few fans of his darker hair and enjoying this possibility. NOT trying to start another "hair color" war)

tumblr_m8qvfoEUlT1rqc5wzo1_r1_1280-1-1.jpg

However, I do think that this is a picture of them together. I really do. And Sparda isn't bald, like someone said. It's white hair being brushed back. They're just not revealing his face yet.

From now on... the term is no longer "flame war". It shall now be...

"Hair War"

Choco, could you please find an appropriate meme? I'd do it myself, but yours are so much better.

Azurel

No because it's already called DMC from the 2010 trailer, changing it now wouldn't make sense. Plus people would just call NT copiers for copying DMC. What fans don't understand is that DmC and DMC are so alike you'd have to be blind not to see. The gameplay is there, the moves are there, but some don't call it DMC simply because Dante looks different and it's a different setting. Look at the mechanics of DMC1 and then look at DMC3, they're drastically different, so why are people surprised?

You're right. It's too late to change it now. Even if it had been a new IP, people would have cried foul from the start.

Agility

"Known"
If there was anyone wondering why Dante looked so vulnerable when Kat got shot, it's because he is stuck in Limbo.

It's a great addition to the series.

Also, I'd like to include that Vergil was raised by Mundus. Yes it's my theory...

Azurel

If there was anyone wondering why Dante looked so vulnerable when Kat got shot, it's because he is stuck in Limbo.

It's a great addition to the series.

I'm still iffy on the whole limbo thing. I mean, it looks great but... I don't know. I think I preferred the upside-down temple in 'The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.'

Railazel

Personally, I'm not impressed by this at all. Some part of me wants to be but it really is becoming very basic and I'm just getting more disappointed the more I know about this story. I was hoping a story trailer would put some of my doubts and expectations to rest but what they are showing just confirms them. Simply put, NT may be very creative story- tellers but HS has been the only truly creative story they've made so far. Even though it's unfair to say that since they only made four games so far, it still holds since they are trying to build their reputation on their story- writing. While I assume that people will see DmC as the best story in the franchise, I shall see it as being no more creative than the others.

You see, it is bad enough that the anti- establishment message is practically in your face, they basically copy- pasted the themes from other stories and simply added the extra spice of the ultimate result of the tyranny being (you guessed it) a giant monster. I understand that they want to re- interpret the DMC's universe and I believe that this a very creative of way of doing so but I can't really appreciate that when it is done so blatantly that I don't really have time to contemplate on the theme and ultimately how it applies to my everyday life (which is the ultimate test for any story).

The other thing that's really devaluing the game is (and this might come as a surprise) Vergil. As much as I like it when family members unite for a common cause, I hate it when it is done in such a... stereotypical fashion. Before you pull out the "you can't say anything about it yet" card on me, a person can tell alot from trailers because in them are small cues about the story as a whole. While there is always the uncertainty factor of how the story might actually play out, you can pretty much give a good guess as to what the story might be about. You can also do the same for the characters.

So far, the story is taking the old "reuniting the brothers" route where long lost brothers would come together for a common goal. Generically, this can be done in alot of creative ways but the stereotypical is the way that DmC is seemingly approaching it. In these cases, the main hero would reunite with his long- not- seen brother, who is opposite of him in many characteristics, to stop a common enemy. Somewhere in the middle of this journey, the differences between the brothers would reach their peak and the two would fight, often to the death, but then regain their senses after being reminded of what's more important. DmC could very well go without this conflict but the rest of the scenario is definitely in there. What would make it interesting would be that Dante is betrayed by Vergil (which I'm betting on as a last string of hope) but there seems to be suggestions in the trailer that say otherwise (which I'm hoping are just mere distractions).

Other than that, Vergil himself is just a very unsurprising reveal. I assume it is because (1) that I've guessed early on that the Order's leader is Vergil and (2) Vergil was revealed in a very unspectacular way. There's not alot of mystery to him as a character and the trailer just simply revealed him without really giving him any value beyond what's apparent. He's Dante's brother, he is a leader of the organization, he doesn't like demons, and... that's it.

The only thing that's keeping me interested now is what twists will be in the story, if there are any. Truth be told, despite my impression of him, I'm sort of suspicious of Vergil. There are some things in the trailer that are awfully confusing. If Vergil's family were rich, why would the demons kill them when they were obviously benefitting from society and were probably a part of what was going on? If Vergil was raised in the same orphanage as Dante, why would his parents choose him without Dante? Plus Vergil's motive for this seems to save the world but his bio says that he's doing it for revenge, so which is his primary motive or is he simply trying to kill two birds with one stone? But Vergil's smart, so he should know that the Demons are the primary keepers of order in society and it would crumble without them so, while he's stopping the Demons from destroying the world, he's just simply preventing one evil for a lesser evil. Why? Wouldn't it be better for him to just simply change the system from the inside out? Why full- front rebellion? Why make an entire organization when he could just simply gain a high position in the system and change the rules? He's smart and rich, so he has the means. Really, it's these questions that are keeping interested in the story of the game, but I fear that NT would just disappoint me and make Vergil one of those characters who does things that conflicts with his characteristics.

Top Bottom