• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Doom 4

Dark Drakan

Admin
Im happy to see Doom back and hope that it comes back in a blaze of glory and not a whimper. A new age style Doom could be amazing and showcase a really nice engine.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
This Doom is going to suck sad to say.

It went through the exact same kind of hell Duke Nukem Forever went through only not 15 years long, Doom has lost all key developers like Carmack, Romero etc, it has restarted development multiple times due to poor management and having no idea what direction to take it and id's last game was the terrible RAGE.
You look at what ex id employees have been saying about it and it doesn't inspire confidence at all.
Plus the Cyberdemon in this teaser looks awful, looks like that demon from the Dungeon Keeper games.

The best this game will be is a mediocre linear shooter like Wolfenstein The New Order.

Revealed at Quakecon.
Confirmed features via Twitter:

- It's called "DooM", not DooM 4. (F**k modern gaming!)
- Doom is an origin game. Fast paced combat. Set outside of UAC research facility on Mars being invaded be forces of evil.
- First combat mechanic: demons. Mechanical, corrupt, hell knights.
- Second mechanic: guns. Conventional guns. "Big" guns. The double barrel shotgun got a round of applause.
- Melee combat is a big part of the new Doom.
- There will be a live gameplay demo on stage.
- "We'll talk about the fast paced competitive multiplayer later"
- Next gen consoles confirmed. Crowd boos. (PC Master race FTW!!)
- Doom is built on id tech 6, 1080p 60 fps. Single player demo today.
- Doom guy just put on his helmet. Omg the sound is so awesome. SHOTGUN COCKED.
- Gameplay demo getting started. Tons of gray steel walls, flames, and a shotgun that is comically large.
- The style is a lot like Doom 3... Blood on the floors, particle effects everywhere.
- A key feature will be stunning enemies with a shot, then smashing their face with your boots. It's happened five times already.
- Doom guy just ripped the arm off of a dead corpse so that he could use the hand for biometric scanning.
- Blood, gore, gibs flying everywhere
- Apparently lots of demons on screen
- Health doesn't regenerate, and "squishing" enemies gives you health (sounds like the Ego system from Duke Nukem Manhattan Project and Land of the Babes)
- Some enemies are walking zombie-like and have limbs missing, others have stuff like biomechanical appendages that shoot lasers
- Demo ends with doomguy getting knocked down, having his arm ripped off, and getting beat to death with it.
- Someone is describing the ambient sounds as creepy in just the right way
- Second level is being shown off, people saying it also looks like Doom 3 style art
- The chainsaw is being shown off, sounds like it can literally rip demons in half.
- The game has "a lot of strafing, a lot of running for your life"
- The hand to hand moves are said to be really varied and graphic
- Also a big variety of enemies at once, like a bunch of small enemies and a bunch of bigger bullet sponge enemies
- This second demo ends with the player opening a door and an "80 foot" tall demon awaiting.

(Will Update this post as more info shows up)

I'm liking what I'm hearing so far. Sounds like they're taking cues from Brutal Doom and that's never a bad thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
New features announced:

- Colored keycards are back
- Armor and health pickups
- Single pump futuristic shotgun
- Double barrelled is all wooden and 'classic'
- Procedural dynamic damage on enemies
- Double jumping
- Small amount of parkour
- A baron of hell smacked a rocket the player shot, causing it to miss
- Melee was more one button press, not a QTE (like in Ryse)
- Levels were again described as Doom 3, except brighter; closer to Quake 4
- At one point there was undead marines, a mancubus, two baron of hells, skeleton knights (revenant?), and imps.
- There was around 12 enemies at once at one point
- Game uses a weapon wheel, so there's no 2 weapon limit crap
- THERE IS NO RELOADING!!! :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

This is too good to be true!!! I so hope I'm proven wrong in thinking this will suck, just like I did with Shadow Warrior!!

I don't like reboots much, but if all I'm hearing is done and done good then maybe just maybe, Doom will join Shadow Warrior in the list of "Reboots actually done right".

Last edited:

Dark Drakan

Admin
Heard really good things about this yesterday though havent seen the footage myself it seems they are off to a good start. Old school style Doom with modern elements to bring systems up to date could be great.

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
HOLY SH*T HOLY SH*T!!!

Come E3 we will RIP AND F**KING TEAR!!!!!
The trusty Double Barrel Shotgun and the Revenant are already revealed!!! This game is what I'm looking forward to most at E3!!!

Wajpa

Also Viper339 on Twitch!
Definitely looking forward to it. DooM 1 and 2 were two of the first video games I played and I absolutely loved them.

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
Didn't you say it was gonna suck?
I did, but after all revealed features at Quakecon I gained so much hope for this game.
I also thought Wolfenstien TNO was mediocre back then, but after giving it a better chance it was my 3rd best game of 2014 so yeah I can change my mind lol.
Still I wasn't entirely wrong to doubt the game as it's gone through so much trouble just like DNF did.

So far the reboots of the awesome classic FPS games have been doing great, The New Order was very good, Shadow Warrior was fantastic and now Doom is sounding slick as hell, I just hope the trend continues on with possible Quake and Duke Nukem games, I do not want to have another Tomb Raider situation.

@LordOfDarkness
Badass Avatar by the way.

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
did someone say DOOM
575.gif

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I saw the gameplay video at Bethesda's conference. I dig it a lot, but the atmosphere didn't feel like Doom to me. Not completely at least. It felt like a weird mix between Dead Space and F.E.A.R. 2 for the most part.

Also, 2 things I saw I didn't like: slow mo while selecting weapons and number of weapons.

Slow mo I can understand on console cause you gotta have the time to precisely choose your weapon from the selection wheel, but I hope there will be hotkeys to select them on PC cause that slow mo slows down the action.

Also, is it me or weapons are not that many?

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Few things I gonna complain about:
1. Multiplayer as selling point. Means they gonna cut company short :/
2. No new creature design.
3. Some areas are to open and to empty. Like 3-4 revenants per big area. meh.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Mah multiplayer ain't that much of an issue for me. We'll finally get a hopefully actual competitive arena shooter after a long time. Until UT comes out.

Amd let's face it, the kind of experience games like Doom offer, only single player, with little to no story, where the main goal is just shooting, is probably not enough anymore to justify a full price buy. Also, dat level editor is badass.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Mah multiplayer ain't that much of an issue for me. We'll finally get a hopefully actual competitive arena shooter after a long time. Until UT comes out.
after Wolfenstein I expected it to have strong sp campaign, since I have 0 interest in mp. But apparently I just have to skip it and pick something else :/

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
after Wolfenstein I expected it to have strong sp campaign, since I have 0 interest in mp. But apparently I just have to skip it and pick something else :/

As I said, I dunno if having only SP in an FPS and nothing else is enough to justify a full price buy. I think it's not.

Besides, who tells u that SP won't be strong regardless?

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
The tech demo/gameplay preview didn't really blow my socks off, sadly, and I'm a fella that lurved Doom 3. I was actually more excited about the release of Brutal Doom v2.0 last week.

Top Bottom