• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Does Vergil really have any "Honor"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
And on that note, I appreciate the points and acknowledgement of what I said from you especially, Foxtrot, given how you’ve done your own equally in-depth analysis of Vergil before (which I recommend you all check out, by the way)

So you remember it eh? Awww, I'm actually touched. Ahhhh, the days when I wasn't deep in university **** to the nose, and actually had the time to go and take GIFs and pics to backup my points... Miss those.

and I know we often come into disagreement on these things.

Speaking of which, I'll say it before a big ass discussion rises and the mods do, can we stick to the topic? This thread is about Vergil and his honor (or lack thereof), Dante's motives have nothing to do with it. I mean, you and I already got into that discussion about that supposed retcon just very recently in that DMC3 thread, with you pointing it out and me countering it, and other people joining in, etc etc, remember? Bringing it up again here, not only is it off topic, but also redundant.

Not wanting to shut anyone's mouth, but I can already see this thread going out of hand should it take that route, I already picture myself Veloran writing his reply to that point, which if you're reading this, this ain't the place to, really. It's a massive derail. Just speaking from experience, tons of my threads have gone to hell because of stuff like that, let's spare Solar that crap at least.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Ah, at last, a challenger approaches!

hqdefault.jpg

It seems as though your argument starts off on a bad foot by making the wrong assumption about Vergil's motives. His actions to obtain more power are not undertaken merely with the power itself as his end goal, but rather because his past molded his perspective into thinking that power is the means through which all other things are undertaken and accomplished.

Um…

Okay.

Where exactly in my post did I contradict or argue against any of this? I’m fairly certain that everything you just said is exactly what I typed in the prior post above, albeit in four more pages and five times as much unnecessary verbiage (Well—not four pages, per se, since one of them IS dedicated to me engaging in the clarification and elaborating of bushido and samurai culture’s misinterpretation in the eyes of Westerners). I never said Vergil’s motives were rooted in his obtaining of power, merely that his pursuit of power was the precise and only clear-cut thing about his muddy character execution, and all the traditionalist and self-absorbed tendencies, in all likelihood, stem from. If anything, my complaint is that the motives that justify his unhealthy desire to replicate Sparda in every aspect is vague and unclear.

This whole statement I made about his “superiority” being his main drive is really me taking the only visible and obvious aspect of his character and overanalyzing it to the point of absurdity, because that’s the only narrative scrap the writers decide to throw at us about him.

IE, without the power to protect what you want, everything is meaningless, because it can simply be destroyed by someone with more power than you.

…how is that not an argument for dominance and superiority? That’s literally the default mentality of every dictator, warlord, and conqueror vying for power in all conflicts of nature, both historical and fictional: literally the mad, sweat-smeared struggle of ascending to where no rivals or adversaries can challenge you, to be “Invincible Under the Sun” (as my buddy Takezo from Vagabond so adequately puts it).

And no, a relentless and feverish pursuit of achieving higher power does not automatically equate to having some basis in the past in any way, and despite the insistent attempts by blind fans everywhere to shower relevance and layers of intrigue on a one-note character, since he never makes mention or alludes or takes action in any way to address the past or his family in any manner throughout the entirety of both his and Dante’s campaigns.

Quite literally the ONLY TIME he even verbally grazes the past is any instance which he mentions Sparda being his father and “the right of power with his bloodline”, and the SINGLE instance he answers Dante’s remark about their childhood “Jackpot” catchphrase at the very end. He NEVER ONCE alludes or makes mention of his childhood, takes any opportunity to elaborate on his prior relationship with Dante, or even really establish his actual attitude or emotional gravitation or repulsion towards Eva.

He gives us. Absolutely. Nothing.

There is nothing within the confines of the game—the ONLY THING representing the original intention and creative vision of all of its respective writers, I might add, before the manga is yet again prostrated before me like every frantic, desperately-grasping fan has done the fifteen million other times I’ve indulged in this topic—to allude ANY WAY that the past shaped, molded, motivated, or impacted Vergil in any way.

And placing the word “protect” in a sentence whose context and delivery literally doesn’t imply anything related to Eva in the slightest doesn’t bolster that baseless notion in any stretch of practicality, and only is cause for bewilderment to even consider with the rest of his character that even its implication would so violently disarray and contradict.

He is not wrong. Being Sparda's son does indeed entitle him to Sparda's legacy. His mistake was in not recognizing that because Sparda left two amulets to both his sons, each of them was equally entitled to it.

*Glances at post. Glances back at reply.*

When, where, in what manner and in what foreign tongue did I ever propel the opinion or the stance that he’s right or wrong in thinking this?

This whole rant was never about justifying or damning Vergil’s actions, it was about EXPLAINING the mindset and how honor was never a factor in them.

And even if it wasn’t—no, you’re absolutely right, he ISN’T wrong to assume his superiority, when he’s as powerful as he is. It’s how he flaunts it and the ends he hopes to meet that I PRESUME, keeping a firm grasp on what the writers PROBABLY intended before I insert my own headcanon on his character, that he had within the baseline frame of the story.

I don’t really care if he’s in the right or wrong. Plenty of fans who like him more and are willing to discuss him than I am can offer rich and passionate contributions to that discussion that I simply don’t have.

But that notion is false. Vergil most certainly hates demonkind, even high tier demons. It's not just his demonic blood that Vergil holds in high regard, but rather the blood of his father. It's Sparda that Vergil respects, because Sparda had the power to protect what he valued beyond all opposition.

Demons OF HIS KIND. I worded that phrase explicitly because I, and every DMC fan on this thread and with minimal experience with the game knows, he kills and tramples over demons throughout the game.

He doesn’t view demons as superior, because in his aristocrat-esque and high-born mentality, even demons have something resembling an orderly hierarchy. That’s why he cuts a Seven Hells spectre like a mangled dandelion in the first act of the game.

He views his status as Sparda’s heir to place him higher than all beings in creation, hence why he can justify snatching exuberant mountains of power without any need to justify or explain it. He’s entitled to it, because he envisions himself higher than matter and creation himself.

He doesn’t view his enemies as equals or adversaries, because God-tier beings like him HAVE no applicable adversaries.

The only reasonable “protecting” he’s doing is securing the legacy he believes Sparda left behind for him. It’s the same kind of “protecting” any individual does when protecting their investment and claiming ownership of it once they’ve recieved the lottery.

Vergil’s lottery is the power Sparda left behind. The world is in his way. He’s protecting his winnings by destroying everything.

That’s the only “protecting” he’s doing. He’s protecting his own interests, not making up for any kind of mistake or past weaknesses…if anything, even ADMITTING he was too weak to protect anyone would deflower his character, because he’s not the kind of rational and grounded BEING to even admit he HAS weaknesses, anymore than a peackock admits a feather in its tail is askew.

If he’s too proud to admit Dante’s his equal in combat, what in God’s name makes you think he’ll admit to needing to improve himself to be strong enough to protect things???

That makes no level of rational or confoundable sense!

Vergil remains there because of his reverence for it being his father's home. It was a choice he made, not because it was his nature as a demon to reside there, but because by being there he felt a connection to Sparda.

RIGHT, because it’s his domain! His Birthright. His Inheritance. His Property by Bloodline and Superiority to all other demons, that’s everything that I JUST said!

WHY are you paraphrasing things I’ve already established beforehand in my own post in an attempt to refute me, WHEN I ALREADY AGREE WITH YOU?

You’re eating your own tail, my friend. I’m on your side here, and I don’t even know if you realize it. And it's not my fault! :hungover:

Vergil Honor means many different things to many different peoples and cultures. It's incorrect to say that Vergil wasn't honorable just because he looked down on others.

Honor isn’t some fabled religious concept that has a multitude of variations according to everyone’s exclusive mental framework…it’s a trait that people demonstrate and showcase in different ways, catering exclusively to what kind of person they are.

And as a trait recognized in all forms of human interaction, there’s a minimal expectation that, in essence, is something a person employs because they think it’s required of them. It could be any action: sparing enemies, not sparing enemies but acknowledging their prowess in battle, making gestures of equality or mutual understanding between others, refraining from certain conducts…it’s something one mentally employs to either shape how they’re perceived by others, or whether or not their actions measure up to their expectations of themselves or the morals they’re rigidly bound to.

But by nature, Vergil doesn’t enforce anything outside of his right by birth, or refrain any behavior he thinks too low or undignified of him…and the omission of firearms is clearly because they are manmade weapons, and not Devil Arms. All that translates to is: “This was crafted by the slaves, meaning unworthy human beings have touched it, thus making its wielding a lowering of my stature.” Louis XVI had the same policy about cups washed and touched by the servants occupying his own house…I’m fairly certain honor didn’t have anything to do with it.

It’s not something that can be deemed “incorrect” when him acting honorably has no basis in a single thing he says, acts, thinks, or does. Honor is something Vergil’s devoid of doing, but I can promise you he hasn’t demonstrated it in any real or valid capacity to justify it as a term to be added to his list of character traits.

He’s willful, driven, determined, sophisticated, tenacious, bound to principles and tradition of his own warped making, all of which build the foundation of what makes him memorable as a character…

…but honorable? Where and when does THAT happen in the game?

Unless Capcom released some new altered Special Edition of the game that I’m not aware of.

That's quite an extreme strawman, don't you think?

A strawman is a non-material, baseless argument that has no basis in reality or actual fact, and signifies its user’s attempt to pull air out of his anal passage when he’s out of argumentative ammunition.

The “katana = bushido” argument isn’t a strawman I conjured up in my mental cauldron (although it’s so pathetic I really wish I had), it’s a very real and very prominent stance I’ve seen fans take in vocal outcry against Vergil using guns in both the original games and reboot, in some baffling attempt to inject honorable conduct to a character by claiming his ties to samurai culture prevent him from sinking to such a method of killing regardless of who he’s fighting, which is mind-BENDINGLY stupid on the grounds that:

A) Attributing his use of a katana to a warrior’s philosophy we have no basis to believe he actually practices is absurd, as I’ve elaborated above

B) Stupid in the sense that it makes the assumption that using guns isn’t honorable, when the main protagonist of the GODDAMN SERIES USES every firearm in existence and STILL manages to excrete more honor than Vergil has throughout the entirety of the series

C) Flat-out ****ing comical considering that samurai not only USED guns, but even my #1 figure of Japanese study, Oda Nobunaga, famous for using firearms better than ANYONE ELSE in his period, is almost always scribed, painted and sculpted in statues HOLDING A MATCHLOCK RIFLE for that precise reason.

If anything, that entire outcry is a strawman of its own, one you’d be quite aware of me spending an entire page to tackle, if only you would only extend the courtesy of actually READING my posts instead of attempting counter me with half of my own points in the automatic assumption that I’m incorrect, thank you VERY much.

But again, this core idea of what you believe is the most central tenant of Vergil's character is incorrect. For Vergil, superiority is not it's own reward, it is the means.

In WHAT way is this incorrect? In what scene, in what frame, in what syllable of dialogue throughout the game does Vergil at ANY POINT wax rhetoric about ANYTHING outside of being entitled to power simply because of who he is, and who his father was?

99% of everything he says is literally claiming ownership of things he gains, declaring his infinite strength to everyone he defeats, and his demand for what is rightfully his.

I challenge you to find ONE scene critical to the game’s plot, one exchange of dialogue between him and Dante to even suggest this isn’t the focal asset of his mental framework, that there’s ANYTHING even remotely implied to be a reasonable substitute that the writers intended, and that ISN’T head-canon.

Hell, the ONLY REASON he even teams up with Dante to squash Arkham while he’s still greedily lapping up the power he’s just obtained is because of his reluctance to let someone unworthy, unfit, and ungraced by the Sparda bloodline, to inherit what he wants.

Vergil doesn't have a superiority complex, he has an inferiority complex. He felt first hand what it was like to be left completely helpless and have everything that was important to you destroyed, and all of his actions and misdeeds stem from a desperate need to ensure that he is never put into that position ever again. His lust for power, obsession with his father, embrace of his demonic nature, all of it was born from that desire.

Where.

Where.

WHERE does it say this?

Help me understand. Cite your soruces. In what instance of the game, implied by any of the original game’s script or implications, is ANY of this assumed?

How do you know he knows what it feels like to be helpless? How do you even know he’ll wriggle through his inflated pride and even admit he IS helpless? How do you know everything important to him was destroyed? WHAT was important to him that got destroyed? His mother? Does he imply losing a wink of sleep in losing her, or using her token of maternal affection for him to invoke an action that would horrify her to her absolute core? Did he even care enough about his mother to even remotely probe her as a topic or implication in a syllable of ANYTHING he says in the series? Is being held in place and watching the massacre of his mother something that even happens or you can prove, based on the absolute reluctance of Capcom to even remotely shed light on what precisely happened on the night of Eva’s murder or that even had anything to do with Vergil’s pursuit of power? How do you know his obsession with being like Sparda is even remotely tied to Eva’s death?

Sir, I implore you….cite your sources. Help me UNDERSTAND.

This isn’t me trying to be facetious or contrarion, this is literally me trying take everything we know about the game from the minimalist nightmare that is the DMC canon, and you’re spinning and literally penning a more in-depth and well-rounded basis for Vergil’s character than ANY WRITER at Capcom has ever done, one I would leap on in a hearbeat if that was in any way true to reality or to the writers’ intentions even remotely.

Believe me, if the writing in DMC3 was better, or even close to what you describe, I would be the LAST person ranting about it. I’d be hoisting it above my lupine head like GOSPEL if it were true…

I’m trying to understand where you’re coming from, but….I can’t make sense of a single thing you’re attempting to bolster as truth. There’s simply no ground for it.

Like, anywhere.

Yet Vergil wasn't the villain of DMC3, he was an antagonist and rival to Dante. The actual villain was Arkham, who in fact appears to embody the argument for villainy you're applying to Vergil.

I….I….

c5898c70ad54a325ef35150cf2e475fe.jpg

You’re serious. You actually…?

Is this where this argument has really led us? Denouncing Vergil’s status as a villain of the series, in an attempt to make him redeemable?

Dude…no. GOD, no. Just….no.

Just....stop this plunge into semantics before we both drown, because I don’t even know how even got here. Because debating Vergil’s status as an antagonist, as THE most iconic antagonist of the series, one fans constantly refer to as the series’ greatest and most memorable villain, to where they have frequently in vocal unison demand Capcom bring him back in future games…debating his status as a villain so fruitless, so laughable, so grounded and rigid in the unbreakable coils of flat-out, irrefutable truth, that I’m not even going to bother attempting a refute.

I’m even not someone who has enough tolerance for DMC3 as a game to even remotely like it enough to defend it, and even I can tell you that Vergil’s stance as the antagonist, was NEVER up to debate. There are people who love and tolerate this game far more than I do who would laugh themselves into a coma if they even heard someone questioning Vergil’s stance as the villain.

I’m even starting to wonder how much of DMC3 you’ve really played. No, seriously—that isn’t a jab, or an insult, or me talking down to you, but literally, with the way the context and narrative is framed in DMC3, especially with how barebones and simplistic the story is, even players with only a SURFACE-DEEP understanding of the series know that Vergil’s the villain.

And really? Vergil’s not the villain because Arkham’s a larger threat than him, and more evil? What actual sense does that make? What, that suddenly remedies every action of malice and callousness the game’s writers have intentionally put in the game to paint him as an antagonist?

That’s like saying Darth Vader isn’t technically a villain in Star Wars, because Sidious is a stronger and more villainous entity that he’s constantly trying to dethrone. One of the most intimidating, legendary, and iconic villains in film history, is now rendered “not a villain” because someone exists that’s far worse than him.

That is literally the logic you’re employing right now, and…I can only gape in mystified silence.

You're not following the logic through. You stop at saying "he believes himself superior, so he's the villain", and don't bother to ask "why does he need to believe himself superior"?

I’m not and never said that he was the VILLAIN because he’s superior—

Sweet Mother of Thor, did you even READ half of what I wrote? His beliefs aren’t the REASON he’s evil, I’ve never once insinuated that. Him being the villain has nothing to do with that, his elitist mindset is just the crux of his personality and mental

You’re literally gagging me with words I’ve never uttered, and I’m starting to wonder if you think the whole point of my rant was some kind of blow against Vergil, to which I must assure you…that was never my attention, and there’s no need to employ such defensive behavior.

If anything, my verbal blows were directed at people who I’ve talked to long before my exploits on this forum, who have fabricated aspects of both the plot and characters to satisfy their frantic and implausible aspirations for him.

All I'm hearing here is that you don't think the manga is applicable canon. And that's simply objectively wrong. The tone you're taking here implies that you see no issue with dismissing the manga out of hand.

….um, because the manga isn’t a reliable resource. Maybe because….the original team had nothing to do with it, it was made by an outsider to the game’s development with no inside knowledge of the original team’s intention…

I believe we in the Star Wars fanbase call that an “unreliable resource for efficient canon elements.”

For instance, I don’t care that I like DMC4 more than any sane fan probably should, and consider Deadly Fortune an interesting read for better context to the world and story…but I will NOT let my blind fanboyism delude me into accepting deliberate retcons to actual events in the game, such as Dante obtaining Devil Arms before the Hellgate Guardians are even sealed, and Nero’s

If there’s consistent and workable plot element outside the canon, BY the official writers, I have an easier time buying it. If it’s impossible by the narrative confines of the actual GAME (see also, every panel of the DMC3 manga), then no, it’s not relevant or a reliable crux for anything regarding the characters or story, no matter how appealing it is.

I’m certain Capcom penned the story for the anime, DMC4 and presumably the next game without taking the manga into account, or even acknowledging the events transpiring within it. Hell, I’d be surprised if they even remember it when going forward with the plot. It’s spin-off material licensed by Capcom for a quick buck, not some insider’s compendium to content intended for the game revealed by someone working for the actual company like Deadly Fortune was.

Capcom already has a hard time keeping canon consistent with ACTUAL GAMES. What in the Nine Divines makes you think they make or write ANYTHING with the manga of all things in mind?!

It's not really surprising that you'd dismiss the relationship between Vergil and his mother, considering that you got the entire foundation of his character wrong.

Uh, dismiss an illogical relationship that is never once alluded to, spoken of, or referenced in the actual game, and completely contradictory with everything established on Vergil’s stance regarding Eva in the game….

…as in, NONE? Yeah, I’m going to dismiss it. That’s what I do with all sketchy content official company employees have nothing to do with.

Vergil never wanted to "rule the world", at least not in the sense you're implying, and he never wanted to exterminate the human race. Vergil's opinion of humans is simply that they are weak, which is true, and Vergil has seen firsthand how they are incapable of protecting themselves or what they love. The level of sophistry you're projecting in saying that Vergil's desire was to become the next Legendary Dark Knight, and then saying that he wished to destroy humankind in the very next sentence is simply staggering. Vergil, as a character, is simply not so stupid as to forget that his father stood up to the entirety of demonkind for the sake of the human race, and then go on to marry and have children with a human.

I never said Vergil’s ambition’s to BE the Legendary Dark Knight were fueled by his contempt for humans, if you cared to—

*Sigh.* Never mind. Maybe you misread it somewhere. That’s understandable. I don’t actually mind.

The point is that it’s established that Vergil views EVERYONE of EVERY RACE—human AND demon—as leagues below him. If humans were so worthless, so insignificant, so inconsequential of an annoying pestilence that he was willing to non-chalantly stomp them out of existence by knowingly condemning them to a demonic apocalypse…

…would you kindly explain what even remote sense it makes for him to regard his mother as some special exception that he needs to protect? Just…humor me with something, because I’m not seeing any possible reality supporting that notion. Nothing outside of parodic interpretation.

More importantly, humans are “incapable of protecting those they love”?

One, he directed that whole “protect” thing to Dante, and was speaking about ANYTHING to weak to stand up for itself, NOT humans, and never once during that entire fight implies that Dante’s fallibilities stem from his human side. Dante’s non-commitment and failure to acknowledge his lineage is what prompts Daniel Southworth’s iconic—and I must say, quite sultry—delivery of the line:

“Foolishness, Dante. Foolishness.”

It has nothing. NOTHING. To do with being human, with Eva being human, or him being incapable of protecting Eva. Nothing implied in the game suggests such laughable contradictions to his character.

And Vergil’s dismissal of Sparda protecting humankind…

You actually stumbled on yet another massive hole in DMC3’s writing that neither Vergil nor the script ever confronts, and has never ceased to boggle fans like me for years: how is he replicating Sparda, when he’s doing more to undo and trample on everything he stood and fought for, namely, the protection of the weak…y’know, the EXACT TRAIT Vergil views as so unworthy to the point of being consequential???

That could’ve been done purposefully, by the writers to illustrate how deluded Vergil is and how warped by obsession to where he’s literally ignorant of Sparda’s intentions, to show some kind of narrative irony to his pursuit of Dante’s power….

…or, it could be classic Capcom, and they just retconned another aspect of the first game and established mythos by writing this game’s confounding story.

I dunno. This sounds more like a hole in the writing than any deep, meaningful asset to the character or, as you assume, any kind of flawed insistence of Vergil’s stupidity I’ve saddled my confidence in, which I by no means do.

Vergil’s many things, but not stupid. He has a whole, substantial, pulsating embodiment of moronic behavior that compensates that entire trait for him.

And his name is Dante.​

At the most basic level here, you're completely ignoring the fact that Vergil himself copulated with a human woman, impregnating her with a child. If as you say Vergil hated humans and wished to destroy them, this would not have happened, and so you must be wrong.

Yeah…what? Do we know he even did that willingly? Is that a basis for the whole “protect” shpeel that fans are rabid about now, more ammunition for the head-cannon?

We’re now basing crucial character traits on suspect plot elements that Capcom themselves have been shady about….?

Ugh, my hands are getting tired. I thought we were talking about Vergil’s “honor”….how and where did we get here, exactly?

It doesn't really try to explain that at all, no...

I can’t see any other relevant reason it was placed so deliberately in the story. If you think it has some other purpose that I haven’t mentioned or address, I’m actually interested in knowing.

Please understand that in saying this, you are simply insisting that your personal opinion is superior to everything in the canon you don't like, and thus those things must be thrown out, ignored, and looked down upon.

To be perfectly frank, it appears as though you're projecting your own superiority complex onto Vergil.

….

How?

No, really….I’m actually intrigued, here. In what way am I displaying a grasping need for superiority? Where in my statement did I imply anything was “superior” to anything fans have generated? All I’ve done is recite facts pulled straight out of the only reliable source for anything related to the topic: the games. The loudest, clearest, and sharpest representation of the writers’ intention.

If being factual is grasping as superiority…how do you watch historians list factual evidence on the History Channel? In your eyes, it must look like the Supremacy Channel.

Keep in mind: I’m not propping up my opinion, but everything we know about the games and the characters as fans. These are canon, irrefutable factors in the writing…

What reason would I have to propelgate my opinion as superior, regarding a game I don’t even like? There are plenty of other fans who LIKE this game, who agree with my opinion, even if they disagree with my sentiments regarding a game I thought was a disappointing and a waste of time and neurons. They can, and have, defended the exact points I’m making, with far more passion and interest, because unlike me, they can actually play and ENJOY the game.

Okay, I’ve responded as rationally and civilly as possibly could. Don’t take any of this to heart or anything…I would hate to rile up defenses on DMC3 of all things, because I don’t even have enough tolerance for that game’s existence to warrant any contempt or misconceptions about my points.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to depart and relax my fingers from this keyboard crusade. Feel free to respond at your leisure.

EDIT: Dang it, @Foxtrot94 , you gotta put that disclaimer about staying on topic RIGHT AFTER I dedicate a page of this to discussing Dante? Now I feel stupid. :(

Veloran

This whole statement I made about his “superiority” being his main drive is really me taking the only visible and obvious aspect of his character and overanalyzing it to the point of absurdity, because that’s the only narrative scrap the writers decide to throw at us about him.
Which is precisely the problem, because that is untrue. Your focus on Vergil's "superiority" is flawed from the outset.

There is nothing within the confines of the game—the ONLY THING representing the original intention and creative vision of all of its respective writers, I might add, before the manga is yet again prostrated before me like every frantic, desperately-grasping fan has done the fifteen million other times I’ve indulged in this topic—to allude ANY WAY that the past shaped, molded, motivated, or impacted Vergil in any way.
I'm sorry, but no. You don't get to ignore the manga, especially when they outright ripped a scene from it for Vergil in the Special Edition. Even within the game alone, what we know about Vergil's past, his obsession with his father, his statement about the incapability of protecting anything without power, you don't get to dismiss these things out of hand. Doing so is simply willful ignorance.

And placing the word “protect” in a sentence whose context and delivery literally doesn’t imply anything related to Eva in the slightest
Of course, because that statement was made in a vacuum bereft of context or history. Oh, wait.

Hell in the game itself Arkham mentions that the amulet is a memento of the mother both he and Dante lost, as Vergil stairs at it. Clearly he still has feelings regarding her.

This whole rant was never about justifying or damning Vergil’s actions, it was about EXPLAINING the mindset and how honor was never a factor in them.
Fulfilling the legacy left to you by your father can in fact be considered an honorable act. It is certainly not just the action of a traditionalist, given that there is no precedent or tradition for Vergil to have followed in that case.

He views his status as Sparda’s heir to place him higher than all beings in creation, hence why he can justify snatching exuberant mountains of power without any need to justify or explain it. He’s entitled to it, because he envisions himself higher than matter and creation himself.
But once again, the core of your thinking here is faulty. He does not feel entitled to the power because he believes himself to be above everything else in creation, he wants it specifically because he feels inferior to his father, and taking it up will turn him into the idealized image of Sparda he has within his mind.

Vergil’s lottery is the power Sparda left behind. The world is in his way. He’s protecting his winnings by destroying everything.
Surely you cannot seriously believe his intention was to destroy the world?

That’s the only “protecting” he’s doing. He’s protecting his own interests, not making up for any kind of mistake or past weaknesses…if anything, even ADMITTING he was too weak to protect anyone would deflower his character, because he’s not the kind of rational and grounded BEING to even admit he HAS weaknesses, anymore than a peackock admits a feather in its tail is askew.
Admit? Maybe not. But in truth he DOES blame himself for not having had the power necessary to protect his mother as a child. That is the entire wellspring from which all of his future actions would take shape, based on the simple idea that "If father were here, none of this would have happened".

If he’s too proud to admit Dante’s his equal in combat, what in God’s name makes you think he’ll admit to needing to improve himself to be strong enough to protect things???
The very fact that he's so desperate for Sparda's power shows that Vergil believes it's necessary to improve himself.

RIGHT, because it’s his domain! His Birthright. His Inheritance. His Property by Bloodline and Superiority to all other demons, that’s everything that I JUST said!
No. In what way can you even construe that? He stays in the demon world not because he thinks it's his domain or birthright or inheritance or property, but simply because by being there he feels closer to his father.

And as a trait recognized in all forms of human interaction, there’s a minimal expectation that, in essence, is something a person employs because they think it’s required of them.
Even in this narrow view of what constitutes honor, Vergil fulfills. He wishes to be like his father, believes that requires carrying himself a certain way and acting a certain way, and so that is how he is.

…but honorable? Where and when does THAT happen in the game?
The first time he appears in the first game.

Frankly this entire thread had it's question answered in a resounding "yes" from the outset.

The “katana = bushido” argument isn’t a strawman I conjured up in my mental cauldron (although it’s so pathetic I really wish I had), it’s a very real and very prominent stance I’ve seen fans take in vocal outcry against Vergil using guns in both the original games and reboot,
That seems like very anecdotal evidence. Personally I have never seen anybody engage in an argument along those lines.

In WHAT way is this incorrect?
Well for one thing it absolutely requires believing that Vergil is a character that came into existence during DMC3 and ceased existing in that same game. Your entire argument is predicated on ignoring all information related to him that is not directly shown within the game.

To believe that Vergil having his life destroyed and family ripped apart as a child left him sincerely believing that he was the One Above All is, again, nothing but willful ignorance.

But for another, the way in which your insistence is incorrect can be seen in what other characters say to Vergil, and how he responds. Namely, when he accuses Arkham of still having emotion for his daughter, Arkham shoots back that Vergil himself is also part human, and he proves him right by losing his cool and not even offering a rebuttal. Late in the game, Dante again accuses him of never being able to be their father, and Vergil again loses his cool. The fact that these arguments got to him shows that there is truth to them, and his responses show that he also knows that.

Hell, the ONLY REASON he even teams up with Dante to squash Arkham while he’s still greedily lapping up the power he’s just obtained is because of his reluctance to let someone unworthy, unfit, and ungraced by the Sparda bloodline, to inherit what he wants.

Then why did he team up with Dante instead of just fighting Arkham alone, and why was he willing to use Ebony to deliver the final blow while harkening back to his and Dante's childhood phrase?

WHERE does it say this?
Well for one thing, in DmC that is explicitly central to Vergil's character.

Now I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember you holding DmC in fairly high regard, and making arguments for them having captured the core spirits of each character. And while the reasons, circumstances and end results were very different (Namely in DmC there is no legendary Sparda for Vergil to idolize and he ultimately becomes corrupted of his own volition), they make it very, very clear that Vergil's biggest trait is projecting a veneer of superiority in order to cover up for his innate feeling of inferiority.

How do you know he knows what it feels like to be helpless?
Manga. Frankly all of your questions can be summed up in that one word, no matter how much you dislike it.

Honestly, for anyone familiar with Dante's backstory all of the reasoning for every aspect of Vergil's character should be blatantly obvious.

Because debating Vergil’s status as an antagonist, as THE most iconic antagonist of the series,
I did not debate his status as an antagonist, I debated his status as the villain.

Again, everything you're ascribing to Vergil - His lust for godhood, his belief in his own superiority, his intent to destroy all humanity - These are all Arkham's traits. You seem to confuse them to such a degree that I'm really not sure if you've simply forgotten that Arkham was a character, and in fact the villain of 3 in general.

to where they have frequently in vocal unison demand Capcom bring him back in future games
Now, I'm not sure who you've been talking to, but personally when I hear people talk about Vergil coming back, it's not as a villain. An antagonist to some degree maybe, so he can be fought, but not the villain. Those two things are not the same.

even players with only a SURFACE-DEEP understanding of the series know that Vergil’s the villain.
And that appears to be exactly your level of understanding.

Sweet Mother of Thor, did you even READ half of what I wrote? His beliefs aren’t the REASON he’s evil, I’ve never once insinuated that. Him being the villain has nothing to do with that, his elitist mindset is just the crux of his personality and mental
The way you've presented it, his beliefs are the reason he set out to do evil, knowing full well that his actions were unjust but simply not caring because he was too absorbed in his own superiority.

….um, because the manga isn’t a reliable resource.
Yes, it is. I do not care for your opinion of it, the manga is canon, had scenes directly pulled from it and added to the game by the development team, and it's events are even low-key referenced.

It does not matter how reliable you think it is, it is a valid resource to pull from, and cannot be so simply dismissed and ignored so as to fit your own view of the character.

For instance, I don’t care that I like DMC4 more than any sane fan probably should, and consider Deadly Fortune an interesting read for better context to the world and story…but I will NOT let my blind fanboyism delude me into accepting deliberate retcons to actual events in the game, such as Dante obtaining Devil Arms before the Hellgate Guardians are even sealed, and Nero’s
But, Deadly Fortune was written by the writer of the game and published by Capcom.

How can you on the one hand say that the manga is irrelevant because it wasn't done by the game's writer, and simultaneously say that Deadly Fortune is irrelevant despite having been done by the game's writer?

I’m certain Capcom penned the story for the anime, DMC4 and presumably the next game without taking the manga into account, or even acknowledging the events transpiring within it. Hell, I’d be surprised if they even remember it when going forward with the plot.
Given that the manga was published the same year as DMC3, it's very likely that they told the author what to write and simultaneously had that backstory in line when writing the game.

Uh, dismiss an illogical relationship that is never once alluded to, spoken of, or referenced in the actual game, and completely contradictory with everything established on Vergil’s stance regarding Eva in the game….
Right right, everything that is not your own perspective of only DMC3 must absolutely be ignored, got it.

But wait... If Eva is never referenced by Vergil in 3, how exactly is anything contradicting his stance on her? Hmm...

I never said Vergil’s ambition’s to BE the Legendary Dark Knight were fueled by his contempt for humans,
Which does not make any sense, because the Legendary Dark Knight was a legend for having saved humanity.

If humans were so worthless, so insignificant, so inconsequential of an annoying pestilence that he was willing to non-chalantly stomp them out of existence by knowingly condemning them to a demonic apocalypse…
For one thing that idea in and of itself is arguable, but it's neither here nor there at the moment.

…would you kindly explain what even remote sense it makes for him to regard his mother as some special exception that he needs to protect?
A. She was his mother.
B. His original failure to protect her was exactly the event which spurred him into believing that power is necessary beyond everything else.

I'm curious, exactly what do you think Vergil and Eva's relationship was prior to her death? Do you think he was always some kind of human-hating self-supremacist? When and why do you think he came into this mindset?

More importantly, humans are “incapable of protecting those they love”?
Yes. That has consistently proven itself to be the case.

One, he directed that whole “protect” thing to Dante, and was speaking about ANYTHING to weak to stand up for itself, NOT humans, and never once during that entire fight implies that Dante’s fallibilities stem from his human side.
He directed that line to Dante after questioning why Dante refused to gain more power, IE the power of their father, IE demonic power.

You actually stumbled on yet another massive hole in DMC3’s writing that neither Vergil nor the script ever confronts, and has never ceased to boggle fans like me for years: how is he replicating Sparda, when he’s doing more to undo and trample on everything he stood and fought for, namely, the protection of the weak…y’know, the EXACT TRAIT Vergil views as so unworthy to the point of being consequential???
Have you considered that perhaps your line of thinking is incorrect, and rather than the plot itself being wrong it's your interpretation of the plot that's wrong?

Ugh, my hands are getting tired. I thought we were talking about Vergil’s “honor”….how and where did we get here, exactly?
-Vergil has no honor, only valuing his own superiority
-That superiority complex is partly manifest in his hatred of humans
-But Vergil had sex with a human and produced a child, that contradicts him hating humans and viewing himself as so wildly superior to them

It is not very complicated. The very existence of Nero throws out your insistence.

I can’t see any other relevant reason it was placed so deliberately in the story. If you think it has some other purpose that I haven’t mentioned or address, I’m actually interested in knowing.
The amulets are pretty central to DMC3, and that carries into the prequel. But the manga never touches on how Dante got the amulet beyond the normal backstory of it having been given to him, I don't know where you got that idea from.

You have constantly insisted that all material which isn't DMC3 itself that touches on Vergil's character must be ignored, and have additionally dismissed any interpretations of DMC3 which you don't agree with as "headcanon". I don't know if it was intentional, but your argumentative position has been constructed in such a way that absolutely any counterarguments can simply be defaulted to dismissal from the word go.

As long as you insist that resources such as the manga cannot be taken into account, this conversation cannot progress in any meaningful way, because at the most base level that insistence suggests that you value your own perspective on the canon above actual canon resources.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020

I think even the world's largest question mark placed within my text box would not be enough to say "What the actual hell are you guys even arguing about?".

The thread wasn't to summarise Vergil as a character, as a whole, but one specific trait. You continue to analyse not just Vergil, but DMC 3's story and reference the Manga also. None of those things were required to answer what should've been a pretty simple question. But, seems like you don't understand when or where to draw the line in that regard.

And since I'm tired of this particular topic bringing out the most 'touchiest' side of people, as it did last time it was brought up, I've decided to close it.

Oh, I mean, you were civil enough...I'm not going to lie about that. But it's a subject that's been discussed before. I'm pretty sure both of you were involved in it yourselves last time, and you know how badly it ended. I'm not giving this a chance to drag out further, so I'm drawing a line now when it is on a good tone. If you'd really like to go back and forth and discuss any of the points you've made further, feel free to continue them within PM's at your leisure.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom