• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Does Vergil really have any "Honor"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Define Honor.

I think fans got that idea from the first game because Dante described Nero Angelo as having guts and honor. So i guess Vergil believed in "fair play" when fighting and didn't really use any underhanded tricks or cowardly tactics. From what I remember Vergil in DMC3 he fought fair.

Last edited:

Solar the rabbit

Define Honor.

I think fans got that idea from the first game because Dante described Nero Angelo as having guts and honor. So i guess Vergil believed in "fair play" when fighting and didn't really use any underhanded tricks or cowardly tactics. From what I remember Vergil in DMC3 he fought fair.
Didn't he stab Dante with his own sword? That doesn't sound like fairplay.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Just want to say that DmC Vergil counts also.
I guess that's fair. There were times when he was... nope, not gonna get into it.

I think you should edit your post and delete the other one so that both posts can be combined into a single message -- because I think you accidentally double-posted without meaning to.

Last edited:

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Hmm, let me see if I remember well:
Vergil asks Dante why he refuses to gain power, after Dante's refusal they fought and Vergil wins. He doesn't need to do so, but even so he stabs Dante with Rebellion, probably knowing his DT will wake (because it did happened to Vergil in DMC3 manga: he was stabbed with Yamato). After Dante's dt happens, Vergil seems pleased by it.In a way he forces Dante to accept his Dad's legacy.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Solar the rabbit
By Fair Play i meant he didnt use poison or illusions etc.

The fight scene had him use old fashioned combat skills so that was him being fair.

In regards to how he acts with people, he may not have integrity because he does stab arkham. But we dont really see him interact with anyone else so who knows.

DmC Vergil is more of a trickster villian to me so he's not interested in fighting fair. He's more likely to talk to people and be diplomatic but he is manipulative and likely to stab someone in the back so no.

Solar the rabbit

@Solar the rabbit
By Fair Play i meant he didnt use poison or illusions etc.

The fight scene had him use old fashioned combat skills so that was him being fair.

He has a doppelganger and can teleport. That one of those count as illusions

Hmm, let me see if I remember well:
Vergil asks Dante why he refuses to gain power, after Dante's refusal they fought and Vergil wins. He doesn't need to do so, but even so he stabs Dante with Rebellion, probably knowing his DT will wake (because it did happened to Vergil in DMC3 manga: he was stabbed with Yamato). After Dante's dt happens, Vergil seems pleased by it.In a way he forces Dante to accept his Dad's legacy.

Is the manga cannon to the games?

Gel

Premium

Is the manga cannon to the games?
Yes, it is, even if the third volume was never finished.If his intent was to kill Dante, he would probably cut Dante's head off or rip his out of his body.

Gel

Premium
Ok good. Still doesn't explain everything else he done.
No, it doesn't nor it shows he is a honorable person, but his actions seem to have always meaning, but since Capcom gave up on the character, we'll never know what was behind his acts or what were his thoughts.
Fans believe Vergil to be honorable due to the famous Dante's quote in DMC1 " a man with guts and honor", but if this is true or not depend s more on your interpretation of the character than anything else.
This is a no winning game.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Pretty much what @Z218 said, most people get that from Dante's quote in the first game.

When it comes to fighting fair, he does fight fair. Heck, he even purposefully puts himself at a disadvantage by refusing to use guns. And even when he shows his more mischievous side, like when he attacks Arkham, he doesn't backstab people. In the aforementioned example, he got Arkham from the front, giving him his back.

As for stabbing Dante with his own sword, I can see why some people would think he did it on purpose to awake his inner devil but there's no actual proof backing it up and I never believed that was the reason, especially considering he seemingly deems Dante unworthy of such power. To me, a more reasonable explanation is that he did that as a way to humiliate Dante. You know, getting the coup of grace by his own blade. Or, maybe Shimomura just thought it was a cool way to end the fight when he choreographed the sequence.

However, as @Blackquill mentioned, honor ain't just fighting fair, and Vergil does show he's a manipulative person that takes advantage of people only to throw them away as soon as he deems them useless. So no, I wouldn't say he's an honorable person.

For the same reason, DmC Vergil isn't either. He shows the same manipulative traits DMC Vergil had, with the addition that he does not fight fair, he did show he's ready to get someone from the back if the opportunity presents itself. Like when Mundus was about to kill Dante. Or heck, during the fight against Dante, even.

Both are manipulative and mischievous characters, neither is honorable.

I think you should specify which Vergil you're talking about when you say some things, since you included both into the discussion. Only DmC Vergil has a doppleganger, Z218 was talking about DMC3.

Last edited:

Solar the rabbit

Pretty much what @Z218 said, most people get that from Dante's quote in the first game.
I think you should specify which Vergil you're talking about when you say some things, since you included both into the discussion. Only DmC Vergil has a doppleganger, Z218 was talking about DMC3.

I could have swore that DMC3 and DmC Vergil both had dopplergangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom