• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Does Tameem hate CAPCOM?

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
After Resident Evil 5, I'm fairly certain nobody can top Capcom when it comes to being racist.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I doubt they hate Capcom, or even Tameen. Racist is too strong a word. They have pretty standard views of Japan's culture, which is pretty much what their powerpoint presentation showed, and that's the shallow part. Don't think I'd call them racist for it though, just disinterested.

dreadnought_dante

And the brighter the flame, the deeper the shadow
okay i never talked to him directly or read his diary. all the information i know is from reading thread, google and watching interviews. so i read somewhere he dont like bayonetta 'cause its "japanessy". and all the comment he made about classic Dante. sooooooo

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
okay i never talked to him directly or read his diary. all the information i know is from reading thread, google and watching interviews. so i read somewhere he dont like bayonetta 'cause its "japanessy". and all the comment he made about classic Dante. sooooooo
Sure NT is against Asian stuff. I mean, it's not like their first two games were heavily influenced by Asian culture and folklore.

Context is something a lot of people need to grasp and understand because there's so much proof in the pudding that you people never understood what you were reading and took whatever you wanted from stuff blinded by hatred.

I'm not annoyed by people disliking something, I couldn't care less what you like and don't like, I'm just annoyed by the dumb sh!t that's spewed all the time because people's poor reading comprehension skills. And what's it led to? You throwing about accusations of racism. Leaking industrial grade stupid right there.

The whole "Japaneesy" thing is not hard to get. After all, I'm willing to bet you are an avid anime fan. It's how stuff from Japan does have these flamboyant characters that do very.....bizarre things that just aren't everyone's cup of tea. There's just certain things that you see in Japanese cartoons compared to the rest of the world.

Characters like Bayonetta and even the Devil May Cry girls are practically otaku wet dreams.

And in the end, like NT hates Devil May Cry or Dante when they're a company that was heavily inspired by the title. They are fans of it. But of course, people think the opposite because they worked on a game that was different and to you that doesn't mean fan. Even though they were just doing a job ordered by the Boss Capcom.

Yea, and even though I never heard what was being said at that power point, I can tell it's not them ripping on Japanese culture because they are generalizing. They were pointing out flamboyant Japanese sub cultures because if you know also they featured Joel Schumacher's Batman and Robin when doing the comparison thing. It's because Dante does have that outrageous fashion sense that wouldn't fit with the "everyman hero" look they were going for with DmC.

So yea, I'm not playing defense for him, I couldn't care less about that dude with the name I never even fully remember. I'm just tired of this ridiculous nonsense.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Yeah, that was dumb of him. 'Japanese' is a very condescending way to describe it. You're right that he certainly sounded somewhat disapproving of Bayonetta and Dante (I blame DMC4 for this and not the other 3 games) but I think it's just because he had poor choice of words rather than actual disdain for them.

Meg

Yeah, that was dumb of him. 'Japanese' is a very condescending way to describe it. You're right that he certainly sounded somewhat disapproving of Bayonetta and Dante (I blame DMC4 for this and not the other 3 games) but I think it's just because he had poor choice of words rather than actual disdain for them.
I agree. I think it was more a "lack of a better word" thing than a "I'm racist and hate Japan" thing. And let's be honest, if someone described something as "japanese-y" you'd probably know what they were talking about. Even though the wording is problematic. You still know what he means. Bayonetta and DMC4 both have a Japanese anime style to them. And while that kind of thing can be hard to describe, I bet you if someone asked you to picture anime in your mind, the first thing you'd think of would probably fit what Tameem said he doesn't like.

So it really did come down accidentally using an offensive term to describe something we all kinda get.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Alright guys. Now let's all talk about how offended we were because NT showed us a picture of "brokeback mountain" instead of "3:10 to Yuma".

No, neither NT or Tameem are racist. I cannot believe this thread even exists -- but after seeing the things that happened here before now... well, I guess I'll just say that I'm not surprised in the least.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
You know, it's a cultural thing. You Americans and Brits also have your brand of cheese, as do we in Mexico. We are used to ours and them to theirs, it's a reflection of our cultures so it fits to the parameters of our norms, even if we facepalm at them, but since you weren't raised on theirs, or any other country's, for that matter, it shocks us more. I'm sure a man in India doesn't bat an eyelash at all that weird crap on his TV but he'd definitely go 'what da hell is this?' at yours or mine or Japan's.

Granted, Japan has some of the most bizarre things I've ever seen and I've looked at most of the world, but I think that they have adopted post modernism far more than other countries have, which reflects a lot in their media. The thing is sometimes that strangeness strikes and you have something off beat but brilliant and just as there is some 'WTF is that!' material you also have some of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
For one thing, him not liking the insanely over-the-top style of Bayonetta does not make him a racist. Plus...him not liking Bayonetta doesn't have anything to do with Capcom.

Also remember that Tameem had zero input on the developer's conference panel where those supposedly "insulting" slides were shown - that was all the art department.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
he is a pure racist. i think he does.
You DO realize there are some opinions you keep to yourself, right? Talk about wild accusations.
Yay that this thread went well. It could easily have gone the other way, though.
Tameem was a really bad choice as a spokesperson. Really bad. That's about it.

Since the confusion has been cleared up, you may want to ask the staff to lock this thread.
Y'know, incase we have some trolls sign up for the sole purpose to troll this thread. Just a suggestion.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Well I don't think he hates Capcom, since they writing his pay checks. I don't think he would have worked with them in the first place if he did. BUT he did made one of the most racist games out there (that Kung-Fu Chaos). So I assume he's isn't directly racist, but he seems convinced about his race stereotypes, sadly most of which are based on racist pre-justice.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
BUT he did made one of the most racist games out there (that Kung-Fu Chaos).
How is that game racist? Sure, if there was a game where it encourages slavery or genocide of a race, that would be racist and messed up. But as far as I can see, Kung-fu Chaos is just a silly fighting game.

So I assume he's isn't directly racist, but he seems convinced about his race stereotypes, sadly most of which are based on racist pre-justice.
But, stereotypes have some truth to them or else they wouldn't exist; and sometimes stereotypes can be positive too.

These days, people are too quick to cry racist or any other one of the 'ists'. Recently, there was a play performed by people of African descent showing how bad African slavery was, but it was stopped because people protested it was racist. People are too sensitive these days.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
How is that game racist? Sure, if there was a game where it encourages slavery or genocide of a race, that would be racist and messed up. But as far as I can see, Kung-fu Chaos is just a silly fighting game..
IT has grossly exaggerated racial stereotypes
http://whatculture.com/gaming/10-blatantly-racist-video-games-2.php/3

But, stereotypes have some truth to them or else they wouldn't exist; and sometimes stereotypes can be positive too.
Stereotypes are rarely positive. In case of Kung Fu they generalize whole race of people and making fun of their race traits. That's not nice. Racism is not necessary genocide or slavery. (I'd say genocide is one step over racism since it's fascism and nationalism). Person can be racist but not have harm anyone in their entire life. The fact that somebody dwells on stereotypes and uses wording as "to japanesy" is already on border with racism.

Top Bottom