• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Does anyone hate this Dante ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Why would anyone "hate" Dante? He's one of the coolest protagonists in a video game EVER. xD

I don't "hate" him, but I certainly dislike him. He's not cool, he's campy. He's got ham and cheese to pass around and then some. He's a boring hero because he's damn near invincible. There's no suspense, you always know "Dante's here, everyone evil dies." There's almost no point in playing the game because he's just a twot.

Now in DMC1 and 2, he didn't seem so full of camp. He had weaknesses and vices, he showed emotion. Hell, at the end of 3 he began acting much more like his DMC1 persona. But 4 pulled the rug out from under continuity and told it to go blow itself, because though 4 happens after 1, Dante is nowhere near as mature as he should've been. He acts like a complete ass clown and doesn't take anything seriously. Why? Because he's a boring invincible hero. Nothing is a threat to him and he doesn't even break a sweat.

TL;DR Dante became one-dimensional in DMC4 and Nero had a more flexible, rebellious personality, making him more likeable in my opinion.

Zato-OW

King
I feel the same with Dante as I do with Nero. Don't blame them blame Capcom. Dante in this game was basically a more mature DMC3 Dante. As we seen with DMC3 Dante, Dante is very cocky and careless until he runs into what he considers a big threat OR someone he has ties to. Dante was cocky/crazy towards near every demon in DMC3 and even Lady for a peroid until her words settled him down. As seen with his reaction with Vergil, Dante was still cocky but had a very serious tone to it and it only deepened every time they met until their last fight were Dante was basically all seriousness. Dante in DMC4 was basically just cocky the entire game except for one moment where he felt Nero was in trouble(when he threw the Yamato to Nero to save him and Nero gave a slow reaction). Dante was worried there and it showed. So basically, if the story was written better and if they actually placed characters in danger that has ties with Dante then we will see a different side of Dante much more then we do when he is just killing what he would consider random demons.

Age of Nero

The End is the Beginning is the End!
I don't "hate" him, but I certainly dislike him. He's not cool, he's campy. He's got ham and cheese to pass around and then some. He's a boring hero because he's damn near invincible. There's no suspense, you always know "Dante's here, everyone evil dies." There's almost no point in playing the game because he's just a twot.

Now in DMC1 and 2, he didn't seem so full of camp. He had weaknesses and vices, he showed emotion. Hell, at the end of 3 he began acting much more like his DMC1 persona. But 4 pulled the rug out from under continuity and told it to go blow itself, because though 4 happens after 1, Dante is nowhere near as mature as he should've been. He acts like a complete ass clown and doesn't take anything seriously. Why? Because he's a boring invincible hero. Nothing is a threat to him and he doesn't even break a sweat.

TL;DR Dante became one-dimensional in DMC4 and Nero had a more flexible, rebellious personality, making him more likeable in my opinion.
He did seem more clownish, which is why I'm not as fond of him in DMC4, yet, he's quite humorous. But he was also that way in 3, but even more mature there, in which he was his youngest!!
*What do you mean by Dante becoming 1D? Like a flat personality?

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
He did seem more clownish, which is why I'm not as fond of him in DMC4, yet, he's quite humorous. But he was also that way in 3, but even more mature there, in which he was his youngest!!
*What do you mean by Dante becoming 1D? Like a flat personality?

Yeah, that's pretty much what it means. He had no depth in 4. Just "Oh hey I'm here! All the character development I went through in DMC3 and DMC1 mean nothing by the way!"

Age of Nero

Yeah, that's pretty much what it means. He had no depth in 4. Just "Oh hey I'm here! All the character development I went through in DMC3 and DMC1 mean nothing by the way!"
lmfao xP I thought the same thing after playing DMC4 at first & watching cut scenes to DMC3 before I bought the HD collection! xD As if Dante's like, "Oh, IDC! Everything's pie! Let's have a ball & get this over with!" The humor's appreciated though, just not the maturity level. :p But the graphics on him & Nero was amazing as well, even though I prefer the DMC3 appearance. q:
**I hope the next DMC series comes out with Dante, Vergil, & Nero- & FINALLY explains everything, but with a good twist/mystery at the end to keep the series going!! :b

Robert wuz Here

IMO DMC4's Dante combined the maturity of DMC Dante and the troll in DMC 3 Dante. While Dante was in cutscences he had a presence unlike DMC 2 dante. The designers took the best of both DMC and DMC3 and tried to mix them. IT took me awhile to notice it but it's my favorite Dante now.

From what I gather Dante has never been a "serious" character in the games (which is why I believe fans didn't like the DMC2 Dante) and I figured Nero reminded him of himself somehow which is why he trolled him to no end!!!XD

Robert wuz Here

I have to disagree.
In DMC Dante was on a mission to avenge his mother and brother so I can understand why he would be more serious.

In DMC 4 Dante might have found some sort of happiness working with Trish and Lady. He might have accepted what happened to his brother and has truly moved on which is why he is so "campy." As far as the invincibility thing IMO he was doing the same thing Spider-Man does during fights. You know wisecrack to upset your attacker so they become reckless (Didn't he do that to Nero? lol) then take advantage of it. I don't believe Dante could have defeated the Savior without Nero's help. To me it looked as though he was stalling because he couldn't find the Saviors weakness.

I do respect your dislike for DMC4 Dante. For me he was pretty immature in DMC3 so I wasn't surprised in DMC4 lol

Age of Nero

IMO DMC4's Dante combined the maturity of DMC Dante and the troll in DMC 3 Dante. While Dante was in cutscences he had a presence unlike DMC 2 dante. The designers took the best of both DMC and DMC3 and tried to mix them. IT took me awhile to notice it but it's my favorite Dante now.

From what I gather Dante has never been a "serious" character in the games (which is why I believe fans didn't like the DMC2 Dante) and I figured Nero reminded him of himself somehow which is why he trolled him to no end!!!XD
lol I liked him in DMC2, but I liked him in all of them. Even though I wasn't as fond of him in DMC4 like the others, I still like his character, even though he's not as mature, b/c his humir was off the charts! :p

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
I personally didn't like him in 4. He was in his late 30's/early 40's acting like his 19 year old self. In 1, he was snarky and fun loving when the fight didn't matter, and serious when it was time to be. That was my favorite Dante. In 3, he starts down that path, and then 4 bitchslapped the character development in the face.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
People agreeing with me that DMC4 Dante was terrible?

I like this thread, oh yes I do.
images

Slacri

I personally didn't like him in 4. He was in his late 30's/early 40's acting like his 19 year old self. In 1, he was snarky and fun loving when the fight didn't matter, and serious when it was time to be. That was my favorite Dante. In 3, he starts down that path, and then 4 bitchslapped the character development in the face.
But Dante in 4 was snarky and fun loving when it didn't matter and serious when it was time to be also. You do know that character development doesn't mean turning the character on its head, right?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
But Dante in 4 was snarky and fun loving when it didn't matter and serious when it was time to be also. You do know that character development doesn't mean turning the character on its head, right?

No. He was a clowny asshole who cared only about looking cool (which he was trying way to hard of doing) and was IMO the worst Dante capcom's created canon wise. I mean DMC3 was at least cool and did cool stunts, but this Dante comes off as some old guy trying to be young again, but can't seem to get back into that mentality without coming off as an OP tool.

Age of Nero

No. He was a clowny asshole who cared only about looking cool (which he was trying way to hard of doing) and was IMO the worst Dante capcom's created canon wise. I mean DMC3 was at least cool and did cool stunts, but this Dante comes off as some old guy trying to be young again, but can't seem to get back into that mentality without coming off as an OP tool.
lmao xD He did appear as an older man trying to be too young in many ways! But he did have awesome humor though! xP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom