• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Does anyone hate this Dante ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
*raises hand* I hate him too. He acted like a know-it-all who didn't know how to take things seriously. A huge contrast from his DMC1 persona, which, chronologically, is how he should've been acting. Not a DMC3-like persona. In DMC3, we saw him go from a cocky punk to a character very similar to his portrayal in DMC1. And then DMC4 kinda took that, spat on it, handed it back to the developer and said "shred it, we're rewriting it."

Chimera Khaos

Hades Leading General Commander
Ok, I know Dante wan't as mature as we all would have liked him to be, but was he really that bad?...
I mean, ok he could have layed off some of his snarky comments and punkish attitude but hey, who's to say Nero bought out the kid in him, eh?...

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Ok, I know Dante wan't as mature as we all would have liked him to be, but was he really that bad?...
I mean, ok he could have layed off some of his snarky comments and punkish attitude but hey, who's to say Nero bought out the kid in him, eh?...

He might've been doing it to get on Nero's nerves, but then what about all the times Nero isn't around and he's showing off?

The reason why his bravado was annoying is because he plays right into the stereotype of the "boring invincible hero."

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
I find him perfect in his awesomeness. All the Demons in the Game are no match for Nero, and Nero n no match for Dante, so I see no reason for him to act all serious and mature. It isn't his style and he has no reason to do so. Everything is so easy for him in that game that his acting isn't even immature or cocky. It's just knowing his place, the top.

On a few occasions were the moods were serious, like when Credo died, or when he asked Trish to evacuate the city, he was serious enough, and that's ok for me. But other than that, he wasn't even panting while toying with the savior, so of course everything is like a playground for him there.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I wasn't really *that* keen on him, but he was okay. I was, after all, a Dante fan long before I became a Vergil slave.

Much prefer DMC1 or DMC3's Dante. His character in the first game defined him (as caught halfway between being a serious soul and a reckless, careless one), and it's easy to accept his immaturity in 3 because 3 is all about his immaturity and how he loses it. I wasn't able to stomach the overly-morose Dante of 2 or the overly-chirpy Dante of 4 as well as the other two.

...Although compared to the latest Dante and Vergil, DMC4 Dante is a paragon of wonderfulness. ¬_¬

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
i liked DMC4 dante i mean he was like infinitely cooler than nero and just awesome incarnate. yet at the same time i found some of his moments just too immature. if this game took place like not so long after 1 so dante still looked in his early 20s hell even late 20s i wouldnt have minded. but here dante looks like hes in his 30s and if the nero/vergil thing was infact confirmed hed be closer to 40. but he acted more or less like how he did in DMC3. he hadnt changed. itd be better if he had been more mature, a little less cocky and just a bit more serious. i still think he was cool just a bit of a let down.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
I like Ruben's voice in actual gameplay, but in cut scenes he says things that really irks me. as for Dante... I dont know wtf he's doing. I really can't stand him and the cluster **** controls make me look just as silly as Dante looks in the cut scenes.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I didn't like him for similar reasons i didn't like the DMC anime Dante. Neither of them were compelling as neither of them felt like they had a reason to be there. They just didnt fit.

Chimera Khaos

He might've been doing it to get on Nero's nerves, but then what about all the times Nero isn't around and he's showing off?

The reason why his bravado was annoying is because he plays right into the stereotype of the "boring invincible hero."

Maybe he was bored and wanted to look good for the camera?...
I dunno, maybe he wanted to have a bit of fun...

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Maybe he was bored and wanted to look good for the camera?...
I dunno, maybe he wanted to have a bit of fun...

I guess what irks me is that that's all he is doing. Having fun. I mean yeah, I'd have fun too, but let the guy get injured in a way that doesn't have me going "he'll get up in ten seconds, just watch." Some people find that awesome, but I find it irksome because I know, no matter how much tension the game tries to create, he'll be absolutely fine because there's no way they'd ever kill or even seriously injure Dante. So he's just... Boring.

Chimera Khaos

I guess what irks me is that that's all he is doing. Having fun. I mean yeah, I'd have fun too, but let the guy get injured in a way that doesn't have me going "he'll get up in ten seconds, just watch." Some people find that awesome, but I find it irksome because I know, no matter how much tension the game tries to create, he'll be absolutely fine because there's no way they'd ever kill or even seriously injure Dante. So he's just... Boring.

So you'd rather him be an easy to kill prey or something?...
Or at least be put in some kind of injury that doesn't have him get back up in a few moments?...

berto

I Saw the Devil
There is something to struggle. When characters just breeze through it's not as interesting as a strugle. It's a similar situation to a Steven Segal movie. The writer of one of his movies commented that Sigal told him that his character couldn't get hurt, they'd all be too bad ass. While there is appeal to that at the same time it can get rather boring when your watching somebody just go through without much of an effort. My other example being the secod Vampire Hunter D movie. D didn't have a hard time doing anything in that movie and was, for all intents and purposus, in no real danger at any point.

If you don't struggle through the reward isn't as rewarding. It's not as well earned when you are going downhill as uphill. Reaching the top of the mountain is always more interesting than the bottom of the hill.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
There is something to struggle. When characters just breeze through it's not as interesting as a strugle. It's a similar situation to a Steven Segal movie. The writer of one of his movies commented that Sigal told him that his character couldn't get hurt, they'd all be too bad ass. While there is appeal to that at the same time it can get rather boring when your watching somebody just go through without much of an effort. My other example being the secod Vampire Hunter D movie. D didn't have a hard time doing anything in that movie and was, for all intents and purposus, in no real danger at any point.

If you don't struggle through the reward isn't as rewarding. It's not as well earned when you are going downhill as uphill. Reaching the top of the mountain is always more interesting than the bottom of the hill.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

@C. Goddess: No, I wouldn't prefer him to be easy to kill. But I would like him to have to put forth an effort, is what I'm saying.

V

Oldschool DMC fan

Absolutely true. Though, it's interesting to note that Dante's creator(s) envisioned him originally as an 'overpowered guy' who basically couldn't lose. The only thing that might possibly present a challenge for him would be the Prince of Darkness himself, and of course, Dante would win.

I hate that idea. I'd say the best fictional heroes don't have it easy, and even better heroes tend to be tortured, lonely souls who struggle immensely, as it helps us relate to them and admire that they can still manage to be heroes in spite of it. Now that's the essence of Dante - choosing good over evil even when he is a demon, born of something 'inherently' evil. That has to be something of a struggle mentally, and you'd want him to physically struggle, too, not just be able to defeat anything. I just pretend that stuff the creators said doesn't exist. That Dante isn't immortal, etc.

DMC2 showed it up the most. Dante doesn't even break a goddamned sweat or get even remotely excited about anything. Not good.

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
I hate that idea. I'd say the best fictional heroes don't have it easy, and even better heroes tend to be tortured, lonely souls who struggle immensely, as it helps us relate to them and admire that they can still manage to be heroes in spite of it. Now that's the essence of Dante - choosing good over evil even when he is a demon, born of something 'inherently' evil. That has to be something of a struggle mentally, and you'd want him to physically struggle, too, not just be able to defeat anything. I just pretend that stuff the creators said doesn't exist. That Dante isn't immortal, etc..

i differ with you slightly. i prefer it when a hero is just youre average john smith. not born into power, wealth or trouble. a greatness thrusted upon them sortta story. where they learn what it means to weild immense power yet still remain true to who they are and overcome imense harship to acheive justice and peace. which is why i was so looking forward to nero. he was just a teen who ended up with the power to change everything...well i hoped he would be. as for DMC4 dante, he just didnt struggle he wizzed through the game like there was nothing important or difficult in it. making neros seem all the less important.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Absolutely true. Though, it's interesting to note that Dante's creator(s) envisioned him originally as an 'overpowered guy' who basically couldn't lose. The only thing that might possibly present a challenge for him would be the Prince of Darkness himself, and of course, Dante would win.

I hate that idea. I'd say the best fictional heroes don't have it easy, and even better heroes tend to be tortured, lonely souls who struggle immensely, as it helps us relate to them and admire that they can still manage to be heroes in spite of it. Now that's the essence of Dante - choosing good over evil even when he is a demon, born of something 'inherently' evil. That has to be something of a struggle mentally, and you'd want him to physically struggle, too, not just be able to defeat anything. I just pretend that stuff the creators said doesn't exist. That Dante isn't immortal, etc.

DMC2 showed it up the most. Dante doesn't even break a goddamned sweat or get even remotely excited about anything. Not good.
Originally Dante wasn't unbeatable. He was skilled and sturdy but Dante didn't go unscratched in DMC and he wasn't able to go up against the like of Mudus without the sword his father left him. The way I see Dante's situation in DMC1 is the same way I see Leon's in RE4; got smaked around, hurts alot, gatta keep going.

Even DMC 3 had a sequence where he got stomped by a clown. But you are right that 2 showed him almost bored with how easy everything was comming along.

But at the same time it's how we the fans sorta have demanded it. When the first Nero/Dante fight was shown the people flipped at the idea that Nero could drop kick Dante in the face. Who could possibly do that, it's Dante, after all. We elevated it him to a point where we think, and possibly Capcom has as well, he should be invincible when he was never meant to be (Believe me, I've dies enough on DMC1 to know he ain't indestructable).

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I found DMC4 Dante badass, stylish,...but then again he just too...immature most of the time. What about you ?

you must be girl -_-

no offense you TC but i think DMC 4's dante is out of character he's supposed to be like this

or like this >

He wasn't remotely fun to watch he was like his DMC3's self stupid,immature and making unfunny quotes
he wasn't badass either he was like that annoying kid who doesn't STFU i like the new dante more than DMC4's dante his clothing was awful

IN-fact the whole game acts like a filler an inconsistent filler or more like DMC 3 modded in a horrible way

I was really hoping to see DMC 1's dante coming with a serious stoyline but i was deceived All capcom did was copy/paste DMC 3's gameaply added more characters and made the whole game just a glorified expansion pack for DMC 3

Mephisto

Using Alchemy to hunt those Demons down!
I love DMC4's Dante.
I didn't even play the first two games. I started playing the third game, but the controls are difficult to get used to (there's not even an option to change them), but I got far enough to know that love that version of Dante. Buuut perhaps I'll settle for DMC4 Dante.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom