• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC's Story is Terrible and here is why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EllDawn

THEY HAD 4 YEARS making this game. You can EASILY freaking squeeze another boss like the Hunter. One could've been there when they raided the HQ or sent there as precautionary measures when they made the Trade. That easy.
I'm not replying to all of that, but this I will. They had a small team working on the game. I've seen fan-made games take years because it was one or two people, and they didn't have the same stresses as NT did. So, no. They didn't have all the time and freedom that you think they had. And copy and pasting a boss from earlier in the game into another area isn't always a good idea. Just because they mentioned multiple, doesn't mean they have to show them. I'd say they were trying to avoid what was done in DMC4, and are now being condemned for not repeating what people complained about before.

ZeroLove

some people don't like the game for legitimate reasons but in terms of threads like this stupid one they don't deserve politeness which is why i put this child on my ignore list before he had a chance to kill any more of my braincells with his nonsensical posts -__-

I've read the top post through a couple of times now, and though there are a few legitimate reasons, it is more that he is writing it down as facts instead of his opinions that pokes me wrong, and when people are trying to prove him wrong, he responds by doing the same thing again.

However, people are overreacting about all of this. Both you and he. Just because you disagree on DmC doesn't mean you have to be enemies and have to ignore one another. I personally hate to use the ignore button, but if I was to use it, it would be because if a member keeps on harrassing me, following my posts and respond in a negative manner, because his/her goal was to bring me down. That's ignore and report worthy. But merely a difference in opinion? That's overreactive.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I'm not replying to all of that, but this I will. They had a small team working on the game. I've seen fan-made games take years because it was one or two people, and they didn't have the same stresses as NT did. So, no. They didn't have all the time and freedom that you think they had. And copy and pasting a boss from earlier in the game into another area isn't always a good idea. Just because they mentioned multiple, doesn't mean they have to show them. I'd say they were trying to avoid what was done in DMC4, and are now being condemned for not repeating what people complained about before.

1) They have a team of over 90 people (with 10 of them from Capcom)
2) Platinum makes their games with like 50-100 workers and not only makes great games in 1 year (MGR) but AMAZING games in less time and more content than DmC...what is NT's excuse.
3) I never said they had to reuse the same boss, it could've been a different Hunter with different abilities or better yet 2 Hunters at once or the Hunters can turn into high leveled enemies like how the Hell Vanguards were in DMC3...I'm disappointed that NT didn't take full advantage of the cards in their hands.
4) Its their fault for mentioning there was more in the first place and not show them.
5) I never get the phobia of having face the same boss again...its like complaining you didn't like fight Nelo Angelo or Vergil for the 3rd or 2nd time. Your constantly fighting the same enemies over and over again and apparently you fight 1 boss again, its a crime against gaming.

AlchemistFromEden

2) Platinum makes their games with like 50-100 workers and not only makes great games in 1 year (MGR) but AMAZING games in less time and more content than DmC...what is NT's excuse.
3) I never said they had to reuse the same boss, it could've been a different Hunter with different abilities or better yet 2 Hunters at once or the Hunters can turn into high leveled enemies like how the Hell Vanguards were in DMC3...I'm disappointed that NT didn't take full advantage of the cards in their hands.
4) Its their fault for mentioning there was more in the first place and not show them.
5) I never get the phobia of having face the same boss again...its like complaining you didn't like fight Nelo Angelo or Vergil for the 3rd or 2nd time. Your constantly fighting the same enemies over and over again and apparently you fight 1 boss again, its a crime against gaming.
1)jesus christ you're unbelievably uninformed about game development it makes me sick, you think platinum games made MGR in one year, omfg...
2)you are obviously a platinum fanboy, how is anarchy reigns anything but subpar which is why they released it cheaper than the normal retail price for games and how does it or MGR have more content than DmC when both of them have shorter single players modes and less extra modes and unlockables -__- wtf are you talking about
3)IT WOULD ADD NOTHING TO THE NARRATIVE, PERIOD, THE ONLY ONE WHO WANTS THIS IS YOU, PERIOD.WHY WASTE TIME AND MONEY ON SOMETHING THAT WOULD ADD ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO A NARRATIVE, DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT STORYTELLING OR BUDGET IN GAMES??? hint don't you dare say yes because its blatantly obvious to everyone here that you don't know what you are talking about
4)no its not because demon collaborators and demons as well constantly hunt for dante so they are interchangeable with the "hunters" fact
5)are you seriously defending old dmc's terrible habit of padding game length through repetitive boss fights -__- omg...
6)you are not an informed individual and should come back when you have an informed opinion -_-

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
No they sent multiple Lilth only refers to them as HunterS not that they sent a Hunter or the Hunter but Hunters went out to find Dante. Well even after Mundus sent the entire city in a shock, don't tell me the Hunters couldn't find Dante or when they raided the Order base some couldn't have been sent there to deal with Dante considering they knew he worked for them...as Bob stated Dante is with the terrorist (The Order).

Several Hunters were sent out, but only one happened to find him at the pier *shrug* Who knows where the others are. Dante could have been killing them off-screen for all we know, since we as an audience aren't present for the everything they do.

Would have been interesting to see them show up at The Order, but, that raid was supposed to be primarily done in the real world, as they knew The Order's ranks to be made up of humans. Hunters would be useless in a human world-side raid, since demons can't exist in that realm without a vessel.

Plus, they didn't think Dante would win the fight with Barbas, so they wouldn't have readily had the inclination of sending out a unit whose primary purpose was search and destroy, since the subject to search for is already in a known location and probably gonna get destroyed there :p

THEY HAD 4 YEARS making this game. You can EASILY freaking squeeze another boss like the Hunter. One could've been there when they raided the HQ or sent there as precautionary measures when they made the Trade. That easy.

Maybe, but remember how the game is intertwined with the narrative. Adding in another boss fight also means creating more animations for the confrontation, and even trying to figure out how to completely rework the Hunter's AI since he's not fought at a pier with a ferris wheel he can hang on. In reality, the locations they had a few of the events taking place at that a Hunter could have shown up wouldn't work with how the Hunter boss is coded. That's a lot of extra work they probably didn't have time to do.

Also remember that a game's development process (the point at which things are added in and coded and whatnot) isn't going up until so close to release. A game goes gold about three or four months before its release, and in that time it's all bug fixes, polishing, and advertising.

I'm saying all the Hunters had to be the same, there could be other Hunters that were different in abilities and its the games fault for stating that they were more but only showing one when showing more would actually benefit the story wen you think about it and the game considering mobile bosses like the Hunter were neccessary cause giant punching bags (Mundus, Poison, and Bob) gets extremely boring.

I would have loved to see a few more Hunters implemented, but I'm still happy with what I got. This sorta goes for a lot of the stuff you'll say - anything more would have been great, but the absence of those things doesn't make it bad.

Maybe not but it doesn't make much sense and is a big missed opportunity.

It makes sense to me *shrug* For the specific vision they had with DmC, they only had us face one of many Hunters. It's a shame, but that doesn't make it a plothole :/

That doesn't make sense Mundus can sense it when Poison and his child and Lilith gets killed but not his other demon minions and cant he control Limbo himself as he shown to when enraged and when Lilith and his baby where killed he sent them into Limbo himself so he has control over it.

That's sorta different, because most of the demons in Limbo that Dante has been forced to fight were all low-ranking scrubs that are manifestations of Limbo itself. A stygian is a "white-blood cell" as the devs have said, it's probably nothing to have something that small disappear, but then we have Barbas and Lilith and Poison, they were all actual lifeforms, with souls.

Mundus also shot out a gigantic blast of energy, and only Dante was dragged into Limbo. If anything, that giant blast was simply a huge overkill shot in order to make sure he pulled Dante into the ensuing chaos. It's like...he knew Dante was at the docks, so he shot out a blast of destructive energy to level the docks and pull in Dante where ever he happened to be within that area. They have Dante's "scent," so that most likely helped Mundus pull specifically Dante in Limbo during the Trade.

Mundus can definitely control Limbo, but that still doesn't make him omnipotent, or that great at controlling things he physically can't see.

I find it hard to believe that he controls everything and have cameras everywhere but he never found Dante for 10 years (maybe more) til recently even when he was trapped in one of his prisons and correction schools that he owns. Then so why was he dragged into limbo before they found him as he told Kat and the demons knew about him for quite some time and I find it hard to believe that they couldn't find a guy who lived in a trailer park on a pier and even then how can they not find a guy with a huge record was Mundus even paying attention.

Like I said, it's easy enough to avoid CCTV cameras at times, and if Mundus wasn't readily looking for Dante, he wouldn't have thought to keep such a close eye on the cameras himself. Not to mention Mundus didn't know what Dante looked like.

When Dante was pulled into Limbo, it was specifically by the demons he was confronting in his childhood, like...an oprhange caretaker, for example. She finds Dante to be a troublemaker, and Dante knows something isn't right about her. With his enhanced strength, the caretaker figures to drag him into Limbo, on her turf, but Dante, being a Nephilim, fights just fine there, and actually better since now he has access to his sword. Dante kills the demon, exits Limbo, and no one really knows what happened except for Dante.

The demons knew he was trouble because he could see through their disguises or whatever, but they didn't explicitly know Dante was the Son of Sparda their boss, Mundus, was looking for. Kat also had similar experiences, so it's not a unique occurrence for others to question the demonic presence they see and be "taken care of" because of it.

You asking about "finding a guy living in a trailer" and "finding a guy with a huge record" makes me think you believe that both of those things are intrinsically linked to standing out. Do you know every homeless bum you walk past? Do you instantly know the criminal record of everyone you meet? No. Neither of those things would also be something that instantly makes Dante prime suspect for being the Son of Sparda they've been searching for for ten years. Once again, especially because he was off the grid for so much of that time, which means even if they did know exactly who they were looking for, Dante still wouldn't have been so easily found.

Think for a second why it's so difficult for people to be found if they end up homeless and whatnot - they have no papertrail, nothing tying their identity to any one location. Why do you think so many crazies talk about living in trailers in the middle of nowhere, or why actual criminals do exactly that? Because once you do that, it's difficult to be found.

Lilith owns that club and she knows that Mundus was looking for a guy named Dante so you tell me she didn't hear Dante's name pop up once since he is so popular with the dancers there and even the bouncer. The dancers and the bouncer that all WORK for Lilith.

No, Lilith knew that Mundus was looking for a guy who was the Son of Sparda - they did not know his name was Dante. That's why they kept referring to him as the Son of Sparda or the Nephilim all this time. They didn't know his name until some point in the game.

Yeah I messed up there but my point still stands.

No it doesn't >_< You messed up a key element to what constructed your point, so your point was based around incorrect information.

He killed a nurse, has a huge track record of fighting the police (who look like the SWAT team that Mundus sent to swarm Order and retrieve Lilith), and is very popular among the news especially Barbas, who works for Mundus...so you tell me Mundus couldn't have spotted Dante earlier.

Once again, Dante's huge track record makes him a sh!tty Limbo citizen, but that doesn't point to him being the Son of Sparda. And Barbas didn't start his smear campaign on Dante until they knew who he was, as in they didn't start calling him a terrorist until they knew the Son of Sparda's name was "Dante," and they and images of him. Once they actually knew Dante was the Son of Sparda, they could easily look back into his criminal record, but without knowing the identity of the Son of Sparda they wouldn't have had much inclination to do look into anyone's record.

Also, cops wearing the same uniform doesn't make them the same guys that Dante may have scuffled with in the past.

Also, most of the crap Barbas even says is a bunch of slander and lies, all meant to paint Dante in a bad light to the public. Dante didn't go around killing innocent people like his broadcasts said, and when he killed the nurse (if he did) was probably what got him thrown into Hellfire, where he then fought his way out, and subsequently went off the grid.

Yet he is constantly thrown into Limbo by demons and have fought them his entire life. Lets see not only was in one of the penitentiaries that Mundus OWNS but is quite popular among the public in a city Mundus owns.

He's pulled into Limbo by demons who see him as a problem to be dealt with, then Dante kills them, and he goes about his life. They aren't attacking him in his childhood specifically because he's the Son of Sparda, because they didn't know he was until the game started.

Dante also is totally NOT popular in Limbo prior to the game's start, nor is he infmaous. He's a random dude on the street, who lives on the periphery of society, who most people didn't give a second glance to. I have no idea where you get the idea that he's so popular with the Limbo citizenry.[/quote]

AlchemistFromEden

Disliking the game does not justify you going berserk on them. However, if they are being "haters", as in doing the best they can to really kick down the game and being all "if you like this game, you suck!", then I say it is justified. But hating a game and coming up with good reasons for why they hate the game is just as alright as it is to like the game and coming up with good reasons for that as well.
i took your advice and unignored him only to see that he thinks that MGR was developed in only one year -_- wow.....

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
some people don't like the game for legitimate reasons but in terms of threads like this stupid one they don't deserve politeness which is why i put this child on my ignore list before he had a chance to kill any more of my braincells with his nonsensical posts -__-

Than what about me?

Not to derail the topic, but you got pretty angry and irate at me earlier, despite the fact that I gave my opinion in a calm manner and even agreed that Tameen does have the right to be mad.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium

BWAHAHAHA WHAT?!

No one can make a current-gen full console game from the ground up in a year. It's pretty much impossible.

Even Call of Duty titles take nearly two years, and even then it's because they reuse assets - something they're consistently mocked for.

AlchemistFromEden

Than what about me?

Not to derail the topic, but you got pretty angry and irate at me earlier, despite the fact that I gave my opinion in a calm manner and even agreed that Tameen does have the right to be mad.
because you said that it is always the responsibility of someone regardless of age, background, personality etc to always "be professional" when dealing with the same nonsense for three years, this (to me), implied that all adults, including artists, are drones to be kept in line, i felt offended because making a living off of things like game development which is also art, is a form of freedom from something like an office job (yes i know developers have offices 99.9% of the time) where you do a person's taxes, that's why i got irate, and for that i apologize

EllDawn

NT had to get approval from Capcom, which slows things down. They even said they had drawn up concept art that was close to the original Dante, which Capcom rejected. Things like that take time. And then there's the need for editing time, so many things working against them. And how big a team did they have when they started the game? I know they said they now have enough people to work on two games at once, but didn't before. Plus there's the fact that NT worked on things in a different order from what Capcom was used to.

From what you had said, it would have taken more time for them to make another Hunter to use later in the game. The fastest way would have been to copy the first. Most of the games I've seen where they reused a boss didn't make many variations, and these are games from the larger companies. Why waste time on creating a boss that really isn't needed? Other than to prove there's more than just one. It was also stated that there's more than one demon king. Are you upset that Mundus was the only one shown? I'm not.

And it's different with the lower level demons. In every game you're fighting the same common enemies over, and over again. It's pretty much expected now. When it comes to the bosses people generally don't want to face the same one multiple times. And no, I didn't like fighting the same enemies all over again in the original DMC games. I wanted them dead, and to face a new opponent. At least in 3 it had something to do with the story. It can't really be said with the first because Nelo didn't have much to do with the story. It's not until the third fight that you actually find out he's Dante's brother. Other than that he just seems like another boss you have to fight three times until you finally kill him. And then there wasn't really much to make you feel for the fact you just killed Dante's brother.

MGR belongs to Platinum, right? DmC didn't belong to NT, but Capcom. As I said earlier, NT had to get approval for their decisions before they could move on. I'm somewhat of an anime fan, and this is exactly what I know American studios have to deal with before they can make their own dub. The cast and script changes have to be approved, first. If anything's rejected, they have to work on it until it's not. It's not that easy.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
To be fair...I'd like more Hunter fights, too :x

It'd be interesting to see how else they could make a boss around a monkey with a combat knife and grappling claw. I could see one coming after that gauntlet in the server room at The Order, and maybe one at the end of Under Watch, just before the cathedral starts to come apart. Beyond that...I can't think of any narrative-related spots they could fit into...at least off the top of my head.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
because you said that it is always the responsibility of someone regardless of age, background, personality etc to always "be professional" when dealing with the same nonsense for three years

Don't recall saying exactly that...

And apology accepted.

That being said, I'm curious if you can justify this

@GreekGod88: could NT atleast balance it so that the enemy doesnt get interupted then they try to attack you? my tip
@superninjatam: We also don't have a fix for face-palming your face until it bleeds...

That guy clearly wasn't one of the more butthurt BS spewing fans, so what do you say to this?

AlchemistFromEden

Don't recall saying exactly that...

And apology accepted.

That being said, I'm curious if you can justify this

@GreekGod88: could NT atleast balance it so that the enemy doesnt get interupted then they try to attack you? my tip
@superninjatam: We also don't have a fix for face-palming your face until it bleeds...

That guy clearly wasn't one of the more butthurt BS spewing fans, so what do you say to this?
for all we know the Tameem was having a bad day or he was joking around, its impossible to say

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom