• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC - What We know so far

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
False

You don't have to be a genius to be funny. Look at so many comedians who are smart but do dumb jokes.

Again, acute (or keen) humor. That doesn't have anything to do with being smart in the literal sense.

Nero flipping Dante off is very understandable, the context warranted it. And he didn't mean to be an asshole, really, it's a bit more nuanced than that.

Well, if you like your characters to look like normal people (well, not normal, more like assholes), then that's fine. I wasn't denying the existence of such characters, I just said that in my opinion, there's nothing appealing about an appearance like that. And in that case, it all comes down to whether or not the character has a well-developed, interesting personality.

I'll take anime-like Dante over realistic Dante any time. Why? Because that's what I like to see, as I think it makes the character less bland in terms of appearance. I already see people who look like DmC Dante on the street, so why would I enjoy seeing that in a video game, a medium in which you can and should be as original as you want?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Again, acute (or keen) humor. That doesn't have anything to do with being smart in the literal sense.

Nero flipping Dante off is very understandable, the context warranted it. And he didn't mean to be an asshole, really, it's a bit more nuanced than that.

Well, if you like your characters to look like normal people (well, not normal, more like assholes), then that's fine. I wasn't denying the existence of such characters, I just said that in my opinion, there's nothing appealing about an appearance like that. And in that case, it all comes down to whether or not the character has a well-developed, interesting personality.

I'll take anime-like Dante over realistic Dante any time. Why? Because that's what I like to see, as I think it makes the character less bland in terms of appearance. I already see people who look like DmC Dante on the street, so why would I enjoy seeing that in a video game, a medium in which you can and should be as original as you want?

Originality is a two way mirror then.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!

At least you finally understand its just your opinion and you should realize there are people who don't care about your opinion....not to sound to harsh. DragonMaster dislikes the old Dante design you like it, you dislike the new Dante design he likes it. There are still many others whose opinions will conflict with yours.

Personally ordinary can be awesome too.

No_More_Heroes_2.jpg
Henry_PubIllustration.jpg

Also DMC3 Dante looks like an abercrombie and fitch male models only difference is with that jacket.

images

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
At least you finally understand its just your opinion and you should realize there are people who don't care about your opinion....not to sound to harsh. DragonMaster dislikes the old Dante design you like it, you dislike the new Dante design he likes it. There are still many others whose opinions will conflict with yours.

No_More_Heroes_2.jpg

Also DMC3 Dante looks like an abercrombie and fitch male models only difference is with that jacket.

images

Actually I did like DMC1 and DMC2 Dante's design.

DMC3 Dante was meh.

DMC4 Dante was the one I disliked.

Paexie

I also disliked DMC4 Dante, but mostly because it didn't make sense that his personally would still be so frat-boyish like DMC3 when the game takes place between 1 and 2. Then again Dante's character arc is open for interpretation and maybe too vague to make any solid explanations within the existing canon..

So I guess it's quite obvious that my biggest interest in the game is seeing how they turn that ordinary looking douchebag with a bone or two to pick into a cocky jerk with a heart of gold or something along the lines.

crush

I got really ****ed off when Dante said that "I was expecting more than sparks" bit.
In the previous series Dante would NEVER had said that to an opponent that did his best.
He is going too far from his original personality. Isn't he supposed to be the decendant of the legendary knight?
I mean Berial was his fathers damn WORKMATE and he admired sparda possibly more than Mundus.
He even trained himself in the hardest environment just to have another duel with Sparda.
Possibly he knew what Sparda really was than Dante ever did.
Yup, and DMC4 Dante spoiled it up by being a complete jerk.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot

No_More_Heroes_2.jpg

images

I guess it depends on your definition of 'ordinary'. Those character pictures you added aren't really ordinary to me, as they're in anime style, they don't wear too cliché clothes and they've got pretty original energy weapons. The fact that Ninja Theory created a Dante who is not only unremarkable and realistic, but also wears clothing that could use a better color scheme, is baffling to me. To make him realistic is fine, but at least make his outfit nicer to look at.

To DragonMaster2010, I agree, I like Dante's DMC1 and 2 costumes too. However, I kind of like the DMC4 costume too, besides, it suits Dante. DMC3... yeah, meh is the word.

Vezild

Taking Back Lordran One Boss At a Time
I don't know if I'm adding bark to an already dead flame here, but the thing about appearances and the preferences of them...it's all highly subjective.

Lionheart, you said you'd take origiDante over neoDante anytime because of his anime style. In my mind, I am spitting at that opinion because I think anime is exactly what you think of realism...bland--at least in terms of appearance and style. And we can argue and argue and argue about that, but it would go on forever.

And, by the way, I'm digging the new jacket. But I agree with you on origiDante's costumes...DMC3's was funny.--not bad, but funny.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I don't know if I'm adding bark to an already dead flame here, but the thing about appearances and the preferences of them...it's all highly subjective.

Lionheart, you said you'd take origiDante over neoDante anytime because of his anime style. In my mind, I am spitting at that opinion because I think anime is exactly what you think of realism...bland--at least in terms of appearance and style. And we can argue and argue and argue about that, but it would go on forever.

And, by the way, I'm digging the new jacket. But I agree with you on origiDante's costumes...DMC3's was funny.--not bad, but funny.

I didn't say I prefer an anime style over a realistic style, I said I prefer the old Dante over the new one. Characters looking realistic is fine, but my problem with the new Dante is that he's poorly designed; he's got a black coat, pretty standard pants and a white t-shirt. Even I could create a more appealing character. But I guess that's how developers think nowadays; characters need to be accessible or popular to as big a pool of people as possible, and that means turning him into an ordinary-looking guy. If nobody dares to create a character they have in mind, that they themselves like, then creativity is lost. Imagine developers saying Solid Snake or Big Boss from the Metal Gear Solid series wasn't accessible enough, or Samus from Metroid, Master Chief from Halo, Bayonetta, and so on.

Anime, realistic, whatever. I don't care about that, I care about originality.

Paexie

It's still a very subjective thing. I'd still say that this Dante's silhouette is still reminiscent yet unique from the original, but fits within the context of the game's setting. So it's a matter of whether you like it, meh or don't; not how you would have designed it.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
It's still a very subjective thing. I'd still say that this Dante's silhouette is still reminiscent yet unique from the original, but fits within the context of the game's setting. So it's a matter of whether you like it, meh or don't; not how you would have designed it.

The new Dante would still fit in the context of the game's setting if he were designed a bit better. Even the smallest detail can make a huge difference. Does this Dante have to wear a white shirt and so on, and look like the voice actor that portrays him? No, of course not.

But the reimagined Dante is the least of my concerns about the game, and I'll leave it at that.

Paexie

I would love to see how you would change him. Can you describe it? I guess the only reason the actor's likeness is placed in is so the mocap could look better and authentic, but yeah his likeness isn't necessary.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I would love to see how you would change him. Can you describe it? I guess the only reason the actor's likeness is placed in is so the mocap could look better and authentic, but yeah his likeness isn't necessary.

Well, I'd probably change his face to make him look a bit more unique, as well as add more details to his clothing (in two colors, preferably, no more). Him having three or four colors (white shirt, brown greyish pants and black and red coat) doesn't make him look that great. White accents would be alright, though.

I'd make his hair a bit longer, or simply style it in a certain direction or two (literally a direction).

I'd make him at least six feet tall instead of five feet ten inches. The setting of the game wouldn't have to be changed, I think, since I can see original Dante running around in Limbo just as well.

I suppose it's mainly the face that bothers me :p Also, I'd give him his Devil Trigger back instead of short hair Super Saiyan Mode. I mean, the DT would really fit into the world as we've seen it in all the footage.

Paexie

Well, I'd probably change his face to make him look a bit more unique, as well as add more details to his clothing (in two colors, preferably, no more). Him having three or four colors (white shirt, brown greyish pants and black and red coat) doesn't make him look that great. White accents would be alright, though.

I'd make his hair a bit longer, or simply style it in a certain direction or two (literally a direction).

I'd make him at least six feet tall instead of five feet ten inches. The setting of the game wouldn't have to be changed, I think, since I can see original Dante running around in Limbo just as well.

I suppose it's mainly the face that bothers me :p Also, I'd give him his Devil Trigger back instead of short hair Super Saiyan Mode. I mean, the DT would really fit into the world as we've seen it in all the footage.

Hah, I'd probably wouldn't stray from three colors. If I remember correctly there is a trailer where his plain white (wife-beater?) shirt had a design in it.

Man, I would really love a more demonic version of the DT, too. I at least hope that it's hinted that he would (since Vergil seems to have his DT unlocked for that next step).

Top Bottom