• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC - What We know so far

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Here is something that is wrong with your statement. Your basing your views on 2 different characters (one whose game you already played and know 100% about him and his story and other you haven't played yet and haven't seen how he, his character, and story plays out).

I mean if we based our opinions on a character from each trailer I would assume DMC3 Dante was as quiet as his DMC2 counterpart since very little story details was shown and Dante was never shown talking (so I remember). From what I seen of Nero from first impressions before getting the game is that he looks Dante and has a demonic arm and his voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch and he has a lady friend. DMC4 Dante just based on TGS he appeared to have become a badguy.

Now its still a matter of opinion. Everyone has their own opinion....just because you find DmC Dante unlikeable doesn't mean others do. I mean I've heard DMC fans say that they hate Nero and that he was a Dante wannabe and a waste of time and space.....well I say to them is....

Then there are people who don't like the old Dante and will say stuff like "Whats so likeable about a character who has zero depth outside saying cheesy generic lines and looks cool while performing stunts?" What I say to them is......

But still......

DMC3 Dante was shown in a number of trailers to be cocky. And lo and behold, he turned out to be cocky and wise-cracking in DMC3. So... sorry, but I think you didn't see that many trailers of DMC3.

There have been plenty of trailers from DMC4 as well.

I'm afraid DmC: Devil May Cry's Dante will turn out to be exactly as shown in the trailers. To say that you can't base your opinion on the footage you've seen of the game seems like a void remark to me. No offense. How many trailers of Dante do you need to see to notice that he's a dipshit? Or do you expect him to turn into his antithesis all of a sudden? Character development usually doesn't go that far.

Sorry, not gonna use any purportedly hilarious pics; I don't want to clutter up this thread.

Paexie

DMC3 Dante was shown in a number of trailers to be cocky. And lo and behold, he turned out to be cocky and wise-cracking in DMC3. So... sorry, but I think you didn't see that many trailers of DMC3.

I'm afraid DmC: Devil May Cry's Dante will turn out to be exactly as shown in the trailers. To say that you can't base your opinion on the footage you've seen of the game seems like a void remark to me. No offense. How many trailers of Dante do you need to see to notice that he's a dipshit? Or do you expect him to turn into his antithesis all of a sudden? Character development usually doesn't go that far.

Sorry, not gonna use any purportedly hilarious pics; I don't want to clutter up this thread.

Hmm. But this is NT and, judging by their games, the characters never stay in the same stance as they where in the beginning of their journey (Monkey and Nariko have significant changes in attitude by the end). Character development can go really, really far. It just takes the right consequences and conflict for a person to change dramatically. I'd say that this Dante is almost at his apex of figuring out what to do with himself. But who knows, you could be right.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!

Yup he is a bit of a dipshit based on what I've seen......but I don't see a problem with that.

How is what this Dante did any worst than the previous main antagonists of DMC....outside curse a bit.

He flipped off Bob, so what Nero did that to Dante......only difference Dante's made more sense.

He knocked out a bouncer because he was in the way...cue Dante killing Sanctus in the middle of a sermon when there where so many other responsible alternatives. What about Dante killing Agnus even after Agnus was defeated and wasn't in a mood to keep fighting or was a threat to Dante.

Dante insulting Poison.......the old Dante insults demons all the time. Dante called Poison ugly sack of sh*t...the old Dante told Berial to "get his ugly ass" back into the hell gate and even insulted Beowulf and Dagon for their own physical faults.

Dante insulting Poison and even teasing her upon her death is just like when Dante shamed Berial and finished him off saying "I hoped for a little more than just a few sparks", same goes for She-Viper and Agnus.

Whatelse............outside cursing a bit more than the previous characters (not a big deal if you want to make a big deal out of it).

So him caring for a human girl that he hasn't known for long to the point he will risk his life to save her makes him a dipsh*t or in the Overturn mission when he saw how the demons were torturing some human captives in that penitentiary he got pretty serious and he promised to save them. Yup that sounds like a dipsh*t to me.

If anything this Dante is more of a smartass than a dipsh*t just like DMC3 & DMC4 Dante mixed with Nero's punkish attitude.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
You know, we should make a DmC flame war simulator thread, where we practice for flame wars and ignorant people. That would be fun.

chocolatepanda

"Decent length, much longer than enslaved for campaign. Much effort has gone into true replay/remix modes."

I hope they do something similar to DMC4 with Neros devil bringer traversal on higher difficulties. Like add in a boost ring in certain places or replace a angel lift with a boost right or just move the angel lift further away so you have to angel dash to reach it.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Yup he is a bit of a dipshit based on what I've seen......but I don't see a problem with that.

How is what this Dante did any worst than the previous main antagonists of DMC....outside curse a bit.

He flipped off Bob, so what Nero did that to Dante......only difference Dante's made more sense.

He knocked out a bouncer because he was in the way...cue Dante killing Sanctus in the middle of a sermon when there where so many other responsible alternatives. What about Dante killing Agnus even after Agnus was defeated and wasn't in a mood to keep fighting or was a threat to Dante.

Dante insulting Poison.......the old Dante insults demons all the time. Dante called Poison ugly sack of sh*t...the old Dante told Berial to "get his ugly ass" back into the hell gate and even insulted Beowulf and Dagon for their own physical faults.

Dante insulting Poison and even teasing her upon her death is just like when Dante shamed Berial and finished him off saying "I hoped for a little more than just a few sparks", same goes for She-Viper and Agnus.

Whatelse............outside cursing a bit more than the previous characters (not a big deal if you want to make a big deal out of it).

So him caring for a human girl that he hasn't known for long to the point he will risk his life to save her makes him a dipsh*t or in the Overturn mission when he saw how the demons were torturing some human captives in that penitentiary he got pretty serious and he promised to save them. Yup that sounds like a dipsh*t to me.

If anything this Dante is more of a smartass than a dipsh*t just like DMC3 & DMC4 Dante mixed with Nero's punkish attitude.

''If you don't give me my sword back, I'm gonna be ****ed''. Dante said that while Nero was essentially blacking out, being absorbed by the savior, and you think Nero flipping him off didn't make much sense? What the hell, man?!

The original Dante at least looked like a proper character. DmC's Dante looks like a guy you could encounter on the street, which is my point. You don't create a character that's supposed to be a half-demon demon slayer and make him look like an ordinary guy in every way. It's simply terrible character design; not original at all. Especially when you make him wear a white t-shirt and ugly pants - I mean, what's appealing or badass about that?

Original Dante didn't curse, he used sarcastic and ironic humor, which is a more refined form of humor. Sure, he told Berial he had the choice to march his ugly ass back through the gate, but I don't really call that swearing, and he only says those things occasionally.
What do you think is a better form of humor, ''Wish you would've noticed me earlier, now my coat's all charred'' (not a great example, just look for some DMC3 stuff) or calling an enemy an ugly sack of ****? The second really isn't humor at all, it's just an insult.

DmC Dante is a dipshit because he looks like one, and often acts like one. Again, at least DMC's Dante didn't look like a green street hooligan or something. It has nothing to do with him caring about people in the game, I never even mentioned that.

To be a smartass means you have to be smart first, meaning you have to make acute humorous remarks. DmC's Dante just swears and flips people off, from what I've seen.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
''If you don't give me my sword back, I'm gonna be ****ed''. Dante said that while Nero was essentially blacking out, being absorbed by the savior, and you think Nero flipping him off didn't make much sense? What the hell, man?!

He didn't have to. He could have just said "Then come and get it." He didn't have to be an ass and flip Dante off.

The original Dante at least looked like a proper character. DmC's Dante looks like a guy you could encounter on the street, which is my point. You don't create a character that's supposed to be a half-demon demon slayer and make him look like an ordinary guy in every way. It's simply terrible character design; not original at all. Especially when you make him wear a white t-shirt and ugly pants - I mean, what's appealing or badass about that?

images

He's a world class detective

images

She's God

images

He's an info broker

You don't have to dress a certain way just to do what you do. That's a rather lame excuse to hunt demons.

"I have to do my hair and wear a very expensive coat to hunt evil creatures!"

Original Dante didn't curse, he used sarcastic and ironic humor, which is a more refined form of humor. Sure, he told Berial he had the choice to march his ugly ass back through the gate, but I don't really call that swearing, and he only says those things occasionally.
What do you think is a better form of humor, ''Wish you would've noticed me earlier, now my coat's all charred'' (not a great example, just look for some DMC3 stuff) or calling an enemy an ugly sack of ****? The second really isn't humor at all, it's just an insult.

"I'm your promdate, you ugly sack of Sh*t."
It just sounds more funny and something anyone would say to an enemy in a fight. DMC3 and DMC4 Dante's lines are more for anime. DmC isn't anime.

DmC Dante is a dipshit because he looks like one, and often acts like one. Again, at least DMC's Dante didn't look like a green street hooligan or something.

No. He was this
dmc_vs_dmc4_by_balvarin-d3155gf.jpg

To be a smartass means you have to be smart first, meaning you have to make acute humorous remarks. DmC's Dante just swears and flips people off, from what I've seen.

False

You don't have to be a genius to be funny. Look at so many comedians who are smart but do dumb jokes.

Paexie

Character design is all about context, if this Dante was born in a world already ruled by the bad guys, growing up in the slums, alone, hunted and still; why would he dress like the original? He would stick out a lot more than he does already.

I think his new design makes sense, but only in context of the story. It's the same for the original. It's cheesy, it's tongue in cheek at times, melodramatic and exaggerated. The grim goth world surrounding him gives him contrast. It doesn't make sense but it didn't have to because it doesn't take itself so seriously.

This Dante hasn't reached that point yet and maybe he won't but the way he is designed makes him fit in with the new settings.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Jesus Christ,

both the skeptics and the supporters are acting like the Socs and the Greasers in this thread.

Top Bottom