• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

"DMC Series' Future = Uncertain" Says Kobayashi

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
now looking at reviews DmC did got much more positive feedback. So if the ride sheer by it, it's simple.

Reviews don't count that much when it comes to sequels. And fan feedback is actually more positive on DMC4SE (ever since its announcement, even). Even Kobayashi knows it now.

No reason to take for granted a "DmC2 or nothing" scenario.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Reviews don't count that much when it comes to sequels. And fan feedback is actually more positive on DMC4SE (ever since its announcement, even). Even Kobayashi knows it now.
True. The user score on Metacrtic was 7 for DmC DE, and 8/10 for DMC4 SE the last I checked

That reminds me, does anybody think 77 is mixed? I had this guy who's been trolling on youtube for like 3 years now, come at me going "DMC4 SE only got 73 on Metacritic, game was mixed you lost" (Yes he's that stupid, he keeps calling this a war and compares people who dislike DmC to terrorists...I'm not joking) I said to him "Uh It's 77 and that's overall positive. If it was in the 50's or 60's that be mixed" then this guy was all "Nu uh, 70-80 is some positive and some negative, while 50-60 is critically panned"...Now to ME a score of 70-80 indicate more positives then negatives, while 50-60 is more borderline.

Last edited:

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
@AgentRedgrave i don't know why so many idiots think 5 is this horrible awful thing
5 is 5 it's average it means there's some good stuff and not so good stuff
that's why it's 5 between 1 and 10
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII got a 5.7 on metacritic and i love that game

so many people forget that anything below 5 even exists

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
" DMC series future =uncertain "
So DMC dead.
I have a feeling that it's not even in the planning stages because Capcom's too cheap to spend time discussing anything that isn't Street Fighter.

Even if they are planning something, or are eventually going to plan a game in the years ahead, it'll most likely be thrown together in about five minutes -- I don't think that they even care at this point.

Last edited:

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
That's a good concern to have though @Vergilius, right? Nobody wants Capcom to rush DMC 5. That's where I'm worried. Yes, I'd like a DMC 5. But if they just rush it out without taking a lot of things into consideration, then that's not cool because they've had enough time to at least plan something.

That's why I find them to be very undecided on the direction they're going to take. DMC, DmC or even another reboot/remake/reimagining. And with that level of uncertainty, it's difficult to hold faith in them going the right way about it.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
Couldn't resist responding, despite my attempt to cut back on the time spent here. First off, the fact that the DMC series' future is uncertain, is not news. I'm pretty sure either Itsuno or Kobayashi already made it clear in an interview regarding DMC4 SE a while ago.

''The series isn't dead, not as long as they can milk funds from it.''

I find this a bit of a strange thing to say, almost hostile even. How do you know Capcom is going to 'milk' DMC if they continue the series? DMC4 was a great game that introduced a new protagonist, for use in possible further installments. My point is, the story of DMC hasn't ended yet... in fact, Capcom has many avenues they could explore:

- A game about Nero, about how he is going to become even stronger than Dante... a game that explains where his arm came from and whether or not Vergil is really dead. And whether or not Vergil is his father (I don't know if DMC4 SE has explained this, I haven't played it yet).

- A game about Sparda, to explain what led to Sparda's rebellion (or even his death), or maybe something that further explains why the characters are the way they are.

- A new game about Dante, as he goes through hell to defeat Mundus's allies, or Mundus himself if he has been resurrected like DMC4 seems to imply. Or maybe he'll find Nelo Angelo there... basically, they could go with the story they intended to make for DMC4. Dante going through hell while Nero fights enemies in the human world, or both of them going through different versions of hell (the Fire Hell, Ice Hell, etc). It could open up some nice interaction between Dante and Nero gameplay-wise as well as story-wise.

- Maybe even a game about Vergil, about what happened in the time Dante didn't see him, when Vergil was still a kid. There's so many possibilities.

In summary, they haven't milked anything up to this point (not counting the rehash of DMC3 Vergil they threw into DMC4 SE). At least nothing of major importance. And I have no reason to think they'll milk anything with DMC5. Each DMC game was sufficiently different from the previous one, each one had an okay story to tell, and Capcom still has many avenues to explore. And I'm not even counting any new ideas they might come up with themselves.
Maybe Kobayashi didn't sound very enthusiastic to you...? I don't know, but I don't think we can jump to the kind of conclusion you made.
Even if Capcom aren't sure of themselves, of what they should do with DMC5 story-wise, all they need to do is read fans' ideas and realize that they threw away DMC4's original plot... which they could alter and adapt to the point where they're satisfied with it.

Last edited:

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Daimon Leon: I just wanted to respond to the part where you mentioned that this isn't news. That's fair enough, but I think people are just wanting to discuss it really and share their concerns, hopes and optimisms and all of that kind of stuff.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
@Daimon Leon: I just wanted to respond to the part where you mentioned that this isn't news. That's fair enough, but I think people are just wanting to discuss it really and share their concerns, hopes and optimisms and all of that kind of stuff.
Sure, I understand. But there's got to be more than one thread about this, right? Also, the topic of this thread doesn't seem to be that the DMC series' future is uncertain: the last line of the first post asks which of the two game series will continue, or both. Maybe it would've been better if the thread title fit better the message OP was trying to convey.

But yeah, fair enough.

Last edited:

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Don't trust or even acknowledge stuff like Metacritic.
The jack@$$ I was talking about was the one who came at me with DMC4's Metacritic score, and I countered that the user score was higher.

I also said to him
"So now scores matter? Well the original release had an 84, so I can use the same argument to say you're lying about the game being bad."
I used the term lying, because the individual I speak of has frequently accused people of lying.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@AgentRedgrave: Is this the same guy you messaged me about? What other places have scored it lower than 8/10? Even a 7/10 is still considered good, by my standards anyway. 8-10/10 is obviously great - even more awesome. I wouldn't call that mixed. For me, mixed would be like some rating it 5-7/10 and others rating it 7-10/10.

Sure, I understand. But there's got to be more than one thread about this, right? Also, the topic of this thread doesn't seem to be that the DMC series' future is uncertain: the last line of the first post asks which of the two game series will continue, or both. Maybe it would've been better if the thread title fit better the message OP was trying to convey.

It also felt as though the comment served mainly to express the commenter's concern that DMC is going to get milked, for which there is no evidence. And that's what my overall comment is about.

Yeah, there probably are a couple of threads similar to this one. I did actually merge one thread into one of these ones concerning this subject because there seemed like too many threads about the same thing. But it happens sometimes where identical topics are created. It's hard to monitor what each one is bringing in terms of news articles, opinions and the like. So it's sometimes easier just to allow a couple to coexist as quite often one thread becomes posted in more so and becomes the main thread anyway for whichever/whatever thing is being discussed.

That's fine man. I understood where you were coming from. I guess that was all the OP meant by that comment. That was merely their view on things. I guess they could explain in a bit more depth why they think or feel that way, but that'd be up to them.

Last edited:

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
@AgentRedgrave: Is this the same guy you messaged me about? What other places have scored it lower than 8/10? Even a 7/10 is still considered good, by my standards anyway. 8-10/10 is obviously great - even more awesome. I wouldn't call that mixed. For me, mixed would be like some rating it 5-7/10 and others rating it 7-10/10.
The very same, yes.

Anybody wondering, I called this individual out on his behavior, and told him if he's such a true DMC fan (His opinion, anyone who likes DMC4 is no true DMC fan, but a "Lying camp homo twilight s#!t fan", that doesn't deserve to be called a DMC fan. For the record, I'd still be against this behavior even if it was people who like DmC, no even DMC2 my least favorite, he was talking about) then he should come here (I was counting on even the people who like DmC to call him out for his behavior) he refused, and accused him of already being here and getting banned. So I asked LordOfDarkness, to see if my suspicions had any merit.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
That reminds me, does anybody think 77 is mixed? I had this guy who's been trolling on youtube for like 3 years now, come at me going "DMC4 SE only got 73 on Metacritic, game was mixed you lost" (Yes he's that stupid, he keeps calling this a war and compares people who dislike DmC to terrorists...I'm not joking) I said to him "Uh It's 77 and that's overall positive. If it was in the 50's or 60's that be mixed" then this guy was all "Nu uh, 70-80 is some positive and some negative, while 50-60 is critically panned"...Now to ME a score of 70-80 indicate more positives then negatives, while 50-60 is more borderline.
Lol, that guy reminds me of somebody I talked to not long ago on YouTube. He kept calling DMC4 Dante 'Donte', as though he doesn't even know where the name 'Donte' originated from (DmC). Kept calling Nero emo without really explaining why, said DMC4 was *based on or heavily inspired by Twilight* for some reason... just weird. I think he had a profile picture of Vagrant Story.

But no, 77 is not mixed, I would categorize it as ''very good''. Mixed is when many reviewers score the game differently, like when one reviewer scores it a 5 or 6/10 while another might give it an 8/10. I'm not sure I've ever seen mixed being used as an indicator of a singular score.
And if everyone who dislikes DmC is a terrorist, I guess we live in a society mostly populated by terrorists, lol.

In my mind, it goes something like this:

50/100 is bad, anything above that is mediocre.
60/100 is decent.
70/100 is good.
80/100 is great.
90/100 is excellent/outstanding, whatever.
100/100 is... amazing? Kind of hard to define this one in one word, especially when everyone has a different mental image that goes with certain words.

Last edited:
Top Bottom