• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Sales 'solid'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
You keep comparing to the classic DMCs when the things I posit have nothing to do with them...

1.1 million out of a 1.5 million projection is pretty damn good, close to the actual projection, where projections are always a broad estimate to begin with.
if you don't see why the sales figures of an existing series are relevant when discussing the sales figures of the title that was meant to reboot that series, I really don't know what else to say to you.

IncarnatedDemon

Such damage controll. 1.1m (do we even know if its not shipped?) out of desire for 4-5m sales. then lower to 2m, then 1.2 and finally 1.15.

No way its solid sale. DmC is FIFTH Devil May Cry(watever that is nowdays) game and its selling this low...

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
also good to remember, "units shipped" is very different than "units sold". "Shipped" means capcom sent that game out to a gamestop or some place, "sold" means the gamestop sold it to a consumer, like you.

For reference, ET shipped more units than any other atari game in existence. More than two copies for every console on the market.

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
You know what? If capcom thinks it's solid sales, we'll get a sequel. And im okay with that. It doesnt have to sell well, they have to think it does, and then we can get more of the games we like.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
You know what? If capcom thinks it's solid sales, we'll get a sequel. .

Its great to be optimistic, but lets not forget the fact that Capcom has had to lower sales projection 3 times for this game.

No matter how you slice it, that is not going to look good to a company like Capcom.

Hell, they are already doing damage control now by blaming it on "Western Outsourcing".

The "Solid sales" is only being applied now in comparison to their lowest sales projection yet of 1.15 million which DmC is only just now starting to push up on.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
yes, you could say that.
xUrKfBW.png

It's sad that DMC3 got screwed in the sales department because it had the memory of DMC2 hanging over it, but DmC had DMC4 backing its reputation, so failing to outsell the worst DMC is pretty bad.

Keep in mind, this isn't all due to "more sales because it's been out longer" this game had a much slower start out of the gate than the other games as well
eyTwwJU.png

and the gap just keeps getting wider
r0C2HW6.png

because the older games are still outselling the newest game

additionally, DMC3 sold poorly because DMC2 metaphorically shat on the parade, and everyone looked at DMC3 as "the sequel to that awful game, DMC2". Is DmC getting the same treatment?
jGp8c1y.png

Doesn't seem that way.

The game was pretty poorly received by the already existing DMC fanbase, and considering that the reboot was made to appeal to a wider audience and gain a larger fanbase, this DmC won't see a sequel if its audience doesn't grow larger than the "niche" demographic of the previous games.

I just hope it doesn't get canned completely. There was a lot of promising things they did in the new DmC, at the very least they could reboot it again a different way and try and preserve some of the positive changes, but unless things pick up the series might be killed forever.
You're forgetting about how much the internet has grown and how easy it is to obtain information in this day and age. Furthermore, the game industry(at least in NA) has been on a decline for the past few years and that could also have atrributed to DmC not selling as much.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
You're forgetting about how much the internet has grown and how easy it is to obtain information in this day and age. Furthermore, the game industry(at least in NA) has been on a decline for the past few years and that could also have atrributed to DmC not selling as much.
Not really. The gaming industry in the west is thriving more here than anywhere else in the world.

As for DmC I'm willing to put money that a fair share of its struggle is caused by just a bunch of fanatical stubborn fans making it suffer simply out of spite.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
if you don't see why the sales figures of an existing series are relevant when discussing the sales figures of the title that was meant to reboot that series, I really don't know what else to say to you.
It doesn't here because he's not talking about the the previous games.

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
Its great to be optimistic, but lets not forget the fact that Capcom has had to lower sales projection 3 times for this game.

No matter how you slice it, that is not going to look good to a company like Capcom.

Hell, they are already doing damage control now by blaming it on "Western Outsourcing".

The "Solid sales" is only being applied now in comparison to their lowest sales projection yet of 1.15 million which DmC is only just now starting to push up on.
I completely disagree. they are "blaming" just because they are trying to come up with reasons, it isn't damage control. This isn't something that is common on gaming sites. If it were for damage control, it would be a huge announcement and article on something like ign, gameinformer, or siliconera. This is not on any of those sites. and again, this isnt something like CoD. They would have needed to alter their projections anyway because the standard isnt that high. This game just got a bad rep because of the announcement from three years ago and people dont give it a chance. I guarantee that if they make a sequel, it will do better. I really am not in the mood to debate or argue or whatever, those days are behind me, if you disagree, just say so and if youd like, say why, but im not going to respond to it. We can discuss in a pm though, if you would like. I like calm discussions.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
I like calm discussions.

As do I.

Which means there should be no reason to take it to pms, I'm perfectly calm, we should not have to resort to pms.

Also, this is all completely ontopic.

. If it were for damage control, it would be a huge announcement and article on something like ign, gameinformer, or siliconera. .

And this news was on all those big gaming sites you named off.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/18/capcom-halves-forecast-blames-excessive-outsourcing

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ng-with-changes-in-development-practices.aspx

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/1...mes-in-development-cancelling-certain-titles/

DmC sales where included in all of those articles.

So yes, I do disagree and I do think its a classic case of Damage control, but not just for DmC, but for other games they where planing to release in the future by "Western Developers".

Yugo12

Ok first of all, the original expectation Capcom had was unreal as I guarantee you not even a hypothetical DMC 5 would have sold that much.

And no one bring up DMC 4 sales. I don't know if people just forgot or something but DMC 4 was NOT well received.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_May_Cry_4#Critical_reception
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/devil-may-cry-4
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/928376-devil-may-cry-4/reviews

Um it looks like it was pretty well received. The people that did hate it are in the minority.

Such damage controll. 1.1m (do we even know if its not shipped?) out of desire for 4-5m sales. then lower to 2m, then 1.2 and finally 1.15.

No way its solid sale. DmC is FIFTH Devil May Cry(watever that is nowdays) game and its selling this low...

Devil May Cry 4
2.4 Million copies sold
"Failure of a game, time for a reboot!"

DmC Devil May Cry
1.1 Million copies sold (presumably)
"Success! Great job team!"

I don't get it.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Devil May Cry 4
2.4 Million copies sold
"Failure of a game, time for a reboot!"

DmC Devil May Cry
1.1 Million copies sold (presumably)
"Success! Great job team!"

I don't get it.
Resident Evil 6 made a pretty penny too that I'd call it a success financially speaking. I guess that means it doesn't need some fixing though right? I guess people want the Micheal Bay style Resident Evil.

This is just simple common sense. You'd be going full retard if you don't think at least breaking that 1 million benchmark isn't good. Square-Enix went full retard with that recent Tomb Raider. Expecting the insane CoD amount and obviously not getting that but I think selling about 3 million copies.

>about 3 million copies sold. It's a failure people.

Are they f*cking nuts? 3 million is a failure?

That's the kind of attitude I don't get. Not even a hypothetical DMC 5 would have sold as much as Capcom originally intended for DmC. That's just crazy talk. You can't hope for the CoD number because you aren't CoD.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Hmm, well still. I don't think the gaming industry is in danger of vanishing any time soon. I'd hope that something like that just has to do with people tired of playing those type of games that hog up the top sellers list all the time. Maybe there's hope. Last year The Walking Dead game did insanely well and I'm glad that for once a really good game was actually getting the attention other than that AAA title people pretend to like just because it's in that AAA category.

Maybe people will start learning. The AAA industry screws people over more than anything. That's why I stick mainly to indie games and older titles. I love taking me some STEAM baths.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Solid sales? I don't even know what they mean by this.

From what i've heard here on this forum and in another pages, DmC was expensive as **** because of all the motion capture thing. Previous DMC titles, besides selling better, do not even had great and expensive productions behind it. Capcom is probably thinking right now if they will just scrap out the series or will try to take a more reasonable path this time.

IncarnatedDemon

Considering DMC 4 was a failure from a overall perspective by fans, and Capcom seems to have rushed the project, and the game sold 2m.

I think DMC 5 selling 3M would be pretty likable. All they needed to do was make a good story and improve the gameplay. How hard can it be...
They arent tasked to cure cancer.

They should adopt 50 cents life philosphy "Get rich or die trying".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom