• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Sales 'solid'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
This pretty much sums up Capcom and other gaming companys.^^^

While it may seem like a success to us, to companies like Capcom who are confident they should be able to reach higher numbers will see it has a failure when it does not reach their sales projections.

1 million does sound good, but to Capcom it could sound different.
With all the crap that's been going down at Capcom recently they better not get in to that failure mindset. I kind of love and hate Capcom at the same time. I want them to improve. Capcom is responsible for stuff like MegaMan, Resident Evil, and Devil May Cry. Series I hold special places in my heart for. So I've come to the conclusion that Capcom isn't bad, they're just insanely stupid and if Capcom had a face I'd severely punch it over and over again in the name of MegaMan.

It'd be a severe beating but it'd be tough love. They would have brought it on themselves.

Sunaka Marién

A lot of big companies are acting like children kicking their bedroom walls because these unreal numbers aren't getting reached. For example, the new Tomb Raider made a pretty penny and Square is saying it was a failure. It doesn't make any sense. Going full retard there.
I'm starting to wonder if companies might simply overestimate the number of gamers out there, as well as their financial situation :/

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I'm starting to wonder if companies might simply overestimate the number of gamers out there, as well as their financial situation :/
I think a lot of companies think that because CoD is the biggest game in the industry they think the majority of the gaming audience are CoD fans.

Thing is there are just so many other gaming demographics that are being neglected because of this. For example horror fans like myself are getting nothing good in the AAA department. I always have to resort to indie games for decent horror experiences.

Companies need to learn to make the games they want to make for the people who want to play them. You have guaranteed cash if you do that. They want to appeal to the CoD crowd too much and thing is, those people have already been won over by CoD and I'm pretty sure the average CoD gamer has no interest in a series like Silent Hill. Why neglect the people that are though? They want to give you their money. You just need to cook for them.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Yep, plus the sense that Capcom is getting too big for its boots. It can't afford to go making unrealistic sales predictions like that, then lower them, lower them, then blame others for the choices they made; and then suddenly they say their sales are 'solid':/ They just don't know what they want anymore or how to get it.

Trying to get the COD crowd just won't work.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Where did you hear that it was "COD numbers"?

Care to post a link?

Because last I checked, the initial numbers where 5 million which was still to high for a series like DMC, but still to low for a mega hit like COD.

It was a looooooooong time ago. Back when the game was first announced, it'd be damn near impossible to find now with all the other news that's come out over three years and five months @_@

I do remember the 5 million mark, and it was something about them wanting to sell high like a CoD game, because to Capcom CoD = western gaming. So to make a western game out of DmC they figured they'd sell huge numbers.

It's that blatantly misinformed idea that's gotten the Japanese portion of the industry into pulling all these weird "western-development" stunts.

They where aiming for COD numbers with RE6 however.

They then cut it down to a more reasonable 2 million and that is the number they stuck with up until the release.

And yes, to Capcom selling less than 1 million upon its release in comparison to the 2 million they where confident at is indeed a failure.

So they then lowered it even further to 1.5 million and it STILL did not seem like they would reach it.

And then recently they lowered it to 1.15 million and blamed its supposed 'failure" on "western outsourcing" which has caused a drop in quality.

So Its not that big of a suprise that a company like Capcom would see this as a failure.

From what I myself can gather, its only being called "solid sales" in comparison to the much lower sales projection of 1.15 million that they recently lowered it down to.

I think they should stop casting pearls before swine in general, and be happy any game hits 1 million or more. "Projections" to appease shareholders is ruining part of the spirit of game development, methinks :/

Sunaka Marién

I think a lot of companies think that because CoD is the biggest game in the industry the majority of the gaming audience are CoD fans.

Come to think of it, I wonder how many of all the gamers out there actually play CoD :/

Thing is there are just so many other gaming demographics that are being neglected because of this. For example horror fans like myself are getting nothing good in the AAA department. I always have to resort to indie games for decent horror experiences.

Yeah, I've heard that before, it's really sad :< I mean, I myself don't play any horror games, I just don't have the nervers for it, but things like Silent Hill just seem to be such amazing and well crafted games, it's a shame and a waste that they're neglected like that.

Companies need to learn to make the games they want to make for the people who want to play them. You have guaranteed cash if you do that. They want to appeal to the CoD crowd too much and thing is, those people have already been won over by CoD and I'm pretty sure the average CoD gamer has no interest in a series like Silent Hill. Why neglect the people that are though? They want to give you their money. You just need to cook for them.
That. I really think that it'd raise the overall quality of games if they'd make games they actually want to make, because the people working on it would probably be a lot more dedicated to making it good if they have a real interest and personal investment in them, rather than make what might 'sell well'.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
That. I really think that it'd raise the overall quality of games if they'd make games the actually want to make, because the people working on it would probably be a lot more dedicated to making it good if they have a real interest and personal investment in them, rather than make what might 'sell well'.
I imagine there are a lot of creative minds in the industry who probably have really crazy, unique, and over the top ideas just itching to be made but, the suits up there think everyone just likes CoD because it's the biggest game on the market.

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
Yes but they arent taking into account used sales (i know they dont see that profit, but it should still be a consideration) as well as the fact that the industry isnt what it used to be and that people arent paying so much because the economy is down. For example, i knew i was going to buy DmC, but i dont have much money, my girlfriend and i try to save what little we can and eventually i may have enough where i can get a game, so i knew i was going to wait for a couple price drops before i bought it. A lot of people have that mentality of waiting for price drops.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
A million is a million and this game will continue to sell, maybe not as solidly, but there will still be profit. We will get a sequel (hopefully capcom will continue with DMC as parallel). This game is great and i feel like a lot of the backlash against it is misguided because of people's initial reaction to when it was first announced. I do not think the negativity towards this is justified. The sales even show it. People like this game, it got terrific reviews and rightly so.

1 million is good enough for a new IP or a series that barely pasts 1 million but for a DMC game (especially when you had 2 games that past the 2 million unit mark and other games that sold better than DmC) its pretty low well in Capcom's eyes and this was no simple quick cash-in game. They spent about 4 years with this game and spent a crap ton of money (on expensive motion capturing equipment, marketing, and more). That is time and money Capcom won't be getting back and last time I checked DmC was an AAA game with a AAA budget I'm surprised its initial expectations wasn't a bit higher than 2 million and to save money they had to severly drop forcasts so they can not waste money publishing more copies.

Okami got great reviews better than DmC (some 10/10s) and it sold pretty poorly and looked what happened it......a NDS Handheld sequel.

Plus Capcom wants to reduce development time and development costs. Making another DMC/DmC game with NT, who are notorious with their high budgeted games and high development costs as if they can't make a good game without expensive motion capture equipment, expensive voice actors, and writers, will conflict with this ideal or plan Capcom wants to do. Plus with how DmC sold much less than its any of its predecessors and scaring off more than half its fanbase while barely gaining a new one audience, who knows that Capcom will want to get even a tougher crackdown on DmC2 making it more like the previous games to regain the fanbase or degrade DmC even more to be God of War level (cinematic QTEs and even more dumbed down combat) to appeal to the more casual audience.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014

If the sequel had 60 fps (all they need to do is lower the quality of the graphics... you don't mind, right?), taunt, hard lock-on, "smoother" animation, more frame cancels, turbo mode, Vergil BP, a DMC3 level (or even Master Ninja level) of Dante/Vergil Must Die difficulty (plus all the other difficulties made harder all around), and gameplay that was just as fast, would the detractors then accept and maybe even like DmC2??

Plus with how DmC sold much less than its any of its predecessors and scaring off more than half its fanbase while barely gaining a new one audience, who knows that Capcom will want to get even a tougher crackdown on DmC2 making it more like the previous games to regain the fanbase or degrade DmC even more to be God of War level (cinematic QTEs and even more dumbed down combat) to appeal to the more casual audience.

This is totally ridiculous, what makes you think they'll go from this games zero QTES to suddenly adding QTES, and the combat is not dumbed-down, the controls are just more intuitive and therefore things that felt hard in DMC4 feel much easier. The constant statement of negative opinions as facts is very tiring. If you really want to discuss how combat is dumbed-down I'm all ears but please provide actual video proof instead of just claiming something to be the case.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!

If the sequel had 60 fps (all they need to do is lower the quality of the graphics... you don't mind, right?), taunt, hard lock-on, "smoother" animation, more frame cancels, turbo mode, Vergil BP, a DMC3 level (or even Master Ninja level) of Dante/Vergil Must Die difficulty (plus all the other difficulties made harder all around), and gameplay that was just as fast, would the detractors then accept and maybe even like DmC2??

85% will......UNLESS if they do something they disagree with....actually no.....it might be good but many DMC fans (myself included) will want much more from the SIXTH installment in the DMC franchises....but most people will be back into it.......unless if there are better hack and slash games out there and trust me with PG's great rise into fame and Team Ninja getting there sh*t together its not even a matter of just being a decent DMC game its a full blown competition for the hack and slash title and people will put there money where they find the most high quality product.

Besides they'll need more than that to convince me to buy a DmC2 because I'll look at it as them reaching to where DMC3/4 left off in quality and I'll always question if DMC5/6 would've been much better.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Plus with how DmC sold much less than its any of its predecessors and scaring off more than half its fanbase while barely gaining a new one audience, who knows that Capcom will want to get even a tougher crackdown on DmC2 making it more like the previous games to regain the fanbase or degrade DmC even more to be God of War level (cinematic QTEs and even more dumbed down combat) to appeal to the more casual audience.

This is totally ridiculous, what makes you think they'll go from this games zero QTES to suddenly adding QTES, and the combat is not dumbed-down, the controls are just more intuitive and therefore things that felt hard in DMC4 feel much easier. The constant statement of negative opinions as facts is very tiring. If you really want to discuss how combat is dumbed-down I'm all ears but please provide actual video proof instead of just claiming something to be the case.

The QTEs....hey...who knows I've seen game series jump on the QTE band wagon quite quickly...it happened to RE4 and Tomb Raider as well as other series I don't recall much about yet. Its just a possibility I mean Capcom turned RE into a fast paced action shooter to appeal to the CoD fanbase. Giving DmC (or DMC) QTEs isn't that much of a far stretch.....

As for the combat being dumbdown....I still stand firm by that but I'm having a PM discussion with I Make the Devil Cry about....when I'm done there I might as well post it here....or somewhere.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
Are people forgetting that DmC's "projected sales figures" before they cut them were CoD numbers, that no game other than CoD can get, and only because it has "Call of Duty" on it?

And what? Reaching 1.1 million out of a 1.5 million projection is a failure now...?
yes, you could say that.
xUrKfBW.png

It's sad that DMC3 got screwed in the sales department because it had the memory of DMC2 hanging over it, but DmC had DMC4 backing its reputation, so failing to outsell the worst DMC is pretty bad.

Keep in mind, this isn't all due to "more sales because it's been out longer" this game had a much slower start out of the gate than the other games as well
eyTwwJU.png

and the gap just keeps getting wider
r0C2HW6.png

because the older games are still outselling the newest game

additionally, DMC3 sold poorly because DMC2 metaphorically shat on the parade, and everyone looked at DMC3 as "the sequel to that awful game, DMC2". Is DmC getting the same treatment?
jGp8c1y.png

Doesn't seem that way.

The game was pretty poorly received by the already existing DMC fanbase, and considering that the reboot was made to appeal to a wider audience and gain a larger fanbase, this DmC won't see a sequel if its audience doesn't grow larger than the "niche" demographic of the previous games.

I just hope it doesn't get canned completely. There was a lot of promising things they did in the new DmC, at the very least they could reboot it again a different way and try and preserve some of the positive changes, but unless things pick up the series might be killed forever.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
You keep comparing to the classic DMCs when the things I posit have nothing to do with them...

1.1 million out of a 1.5 million projection is pretty damn good, close to the actual projection, where projections are always a broad estimate to begin with.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
1.1 million out of a 1.5 million projection is pretty damn good, close to the actual projection, where projections are always a broad estimate to begin with.

actually, as I pointed out earlier, it was lowered to 1.15 million a month ago.

So its just now pushing up on that projection hence the "solid sales" at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom