• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Sales 'solid'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
All reviews are biased, an opinion is biased whether for or against the game. There's no such thing as a objective opinion because one will favor things that another might not.

That can easily be twisted in order for said person who does or doesn't like the game to twist into their own convenience. Like say if one person read two reviews on MGR and one was negative and one was positive and the person reading both was a fan, it doesn't take a genius who he or she would say is the review that is "unfair". This really is just running around in circles really. I'm already starting to get a headache from this back and forth thing with no conclusion and everyone trying to get the last word.
People just want to see what they want to see. I tend to think that the most important opinion on a product of entertainment is my own but hey, that's just me. People are under the impression that gaming journalism and reviews scores are just somehow evil. For the most part when it just conflicts with their own personal feelings on the game. People can be silly.

IncarnatedDemon

All reviews are biased, an opinion is biased whether for or against the game. There's no such thing as a objective opinion because one will favor things that another might not.
Must i explain to you that there are different levels of bias, and that those who have least bias are more qualified to call "objective"?

I don't like "All reviews are biased", it's excuse for generalising that all reviews or reviewers are biased to the same extent. THEY ARE NOT.

So i suggest you stop with that "All reviews are biased" because you should know better that there are people who reviews games properly and they may have a small grain of bias but it's most likely so little that it doesn't influence their review significantly in contrast to certain invidiuals who review games as their job on certain sites.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3

I agree with you, human beings just cannot turn off their emotions and feelings towards anything when doing a review or any other thing. But this does not mean that a game is not a real thing that can't be measured in many levels and in different ways, the thing is that most reviewers don't even put some effort in doing it, the only review that i see go kinda in-depth with gameplay for DmC was that one (and, obviously he not even goes THAT in-depth, but he at least explains and shows WHY things are as they are and what is good and what is bad on this):

Even with several points and comments that are indeed subjective, he did a very good job measuring what DmC has to offer in comparison with DMC4 and 3.

DisappointedSparda

The Disappointed
Must i explain to you that there are different levels of bias, and that those who have least bias are more qualified to call "objective"?

I don't like "All reviews are biased", it's excuse for generalising that all reviews or reviewers are biased to the same extent. THEY ARE NOT.

So i suggest you stop with that "All reviews are biased" because you should know better that there are people who reviews games properly and they may have a small grain of bias but it's most likely so little that it doesn't influence their review significantly in contrast to certain invidiuals who review games as their job on certain sites.

Don't try to get an attitude ok, this is a video game forum kid, chill out.

And i stand by that all reviews are biased. Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily, as long as you don't try to push your view onto others which a lot of the negative people in this fanbase seem to not consider.

Some people listen to people on Neogaf as a source of a legitimate view, that may be so, but not a lot of people care nor go to Gaf just because another person thinks is a legitimate reviewer solely because they agree with them in the past. And believe me, alot of Gamers make a ruckus over review scores because the reviewer doesn't share the same opinion as them, this is a common thing.

You even said your yourself that "they have a small grain of bias" it doesn't matter how small the grain is a review is biased whether or not its a big or small grain, you just validated my point right there.

Oh, so you're biased against the people who you think are biased simply because there job is being paid to give biased review scores. And you only seek out reviewers who probably are not paid--which you are alluding to because you brought the "payment" thing up--as being not-so biased. Again like i said to Chancey, this is running in circles, people will only agree with a reviewer because of a personal bias.

Vino, you have to consider as well that a lot of paid reviewers have a limited amount of time to review a particular game. Not alot of reviewers will play Dante Must Die mode in the beginning because maybe they only have a day or a few hours to review the game because Bioshock Infinite review needs to be done soon.

It's like none of you people even consider that reviewers are pretty much being a casual gamer doing there job, because it is mostly casual gamers that look upon reviews to see whether its worth there time. I'm sure these reviewers are more hardcore in there private lives when they have more free time, but when its a job time is a luxury. They don't have time to go into the nook and cranny of every game they review.

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
ENOUGH!!!!!

Can't we all just calm the **** down for 5 ****ing minutes! Every time I log on, it's the same bullshit! The games out, Capcom's happy with the sales, some people like it some don't.

Can't you dumbshits get over yourselves for 1 ****ing day? Can't you just agree to disagree, instead of arguing back and forth like infantile morons who just learned how to talk! Is that too much to ask!?

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
ENOUGH!!!!!

Can't we all just calm the **** down for 5 ******* minutes! Every time I log on, it's the same bullshit! The games out, Capcom's happy with the sales, some people like it some don't.

Can't you dumbshits get over yourselves for 1 ******* day? Can't you just agree to disagree, instead of arguing back and forth like infantile morons who just learned how to talk! Is that too much to ask!?

I thought of that moment from Snakes on a Plane.

Enough is enough! XP

But I do agree. But I agree with Martius too. Best to take a breather and calm yourself for a little :3

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
I agree with you, human beings just cannot turn off their emotions and feelings towards anything when doing a review or any other thing. But this does not mean that a game is not a real thing that can't be measured in many levels and in different ways, the thing is that most reviewers don't even put some effort in doing it, the only review that i see go kinda in-depth with gameplay for DmC was that one (and, obviously he not even goes THAT in-depth, but he at least explains and shows WHY things are as they are and what is good and what is bad on this):

Even with several points and comments that are indeed subjective, he did a very good job measuring what DmC has to offer in comparison with DMC4 and 3.

You know, I was going to point out that comparing the pacing between vanilla DmC and turbo-mode DMC4 is unfair, but then he showed the mid-boss fight cutscene with Barbas, and the hideous facial animation and the awful line delivery and the red mist came down and now I can't see anymore.

I think the mark of a great reviewer is when they can approach a game from a point of neutrality and try to see the best and worst facets of a game from every player's perspective. There are players who came away from DMC4 thinking that the game was ruined by bad plot and overuse of it's environments, and there are those who came away from DmC seeing it as an exercise in hideous style over substance. Neither is right, neither is wrong, both are paying customers, and both deserve insight on the game that informs them of whether or not it will appeal to their specific tastes.

I'm not too fond of the delivery of Classic Game Room, but I do feel that Mark tries strike to that balance.

http://www.youtube.com/user/InecomCompany?feature=watch

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
I feel like this thread has gone way off topic. This whole discussion about bias has little to do with cacpcoms comment about solid sales. Does capcom's solid sales mean a sequel for DmC?

You know, I was going to point out that comparing the pacing between vanilla DmC and turbo-mode DMC4 is unfair, but then he showed the mid-boss fight cut scene with Barbas, and the hideous facial animation and the awful line delivery and the red mist came down and now I can't see anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/user/InecomCompany?feature=watch

This is disappointing macabre. Honesty, there was no mid-fight cutscene in Bob Barbas fight, and yet you take that as the source for your reason to yet again attack DmC again.

It just never ends, and that guy in that video is just wrong. He says, and this is verbatim from the video, "if you just button mash in this game, because that's how you do anything in this game" with comments like that, yeah, its totally easy to see how he's really objective.

Also, again a thread about Capcom's saying DmC has solid sales has somehow gone off topic about how DmC sucks compared to DMC4. Stay off topic friends.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
This is disappointing macabre. Honesty, there was no mid-fight cutscene in Bob Barbas fight, and yet you take that as the source for your reason to yet again attack DmC again.

It just never ends, and that guy in that video is just wrong. He says ****, if you just button mash in this game, because that's how you do anything in this game, that's an actual quote from the guy, yeah, he's really subjective.
I know right? And the worst part is, he tries so hard to sound neutral, when you can obviously tell he hated this game right from the outset.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Okay I really got to ask, what the hell does Buyer's Remorse mean?

It's when you feel regret for spending money on something that isn't worth the expenditure.

Yes there is. You get pulled into the slurm factory, and when Barbas farts you out again the fight is interrupted with the cutscene that PressX demonstrated. Watch from 7.36.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I know right? And the worst part is, he tries to hard to sound neutral, when you can obviously tell he hated this game right from the outset.
Yeah even his laugh at the beginning sounded fake. You know, the sort of laugh you make when you're angry about something but you try to laugh it off.

It's when you feel regret for spending money on something that isn't worth the expenditure.
So another insult to people who like the game. What a sad asshole that guy is. It's time like these I really wish there were mods on youtube. But there are so many videos it's impossible.

Youtube needs an army of Judge Dredds.

Its skippable, and its literally takes .01 second as you jump out to skip it, and that's really something that you think is worthy of derailing a thread about DmC sales w/ a conversation about how horrible the game is...

Also, its totally excised from the fight when you fight barbas in bloody palace.

EvilX-81

Meh... I found myself disagreeing wit abouth half of most he said through the video.

--DmC guns are weak/useless; did an entire thread on that; they're not as bad as people make them out to be even compared to the previous games. DMC4's guns are tricky to say they're "better" than DmC's, because at pointblank range they are the probably most powerful guns in the series, but used from several yards away they are the weakest guns instead. And even then I'm guessing he may not have factored in the chargeable shots and such. Think that Hell Knight took a while to kill with E&I (who take about twelve normal hits from full powered rebellion to kill on Devil Hunter)? You'd be up from dusk 'till dawn with DMC4's E&I from that range with that amount of health.

--****ty platforming; disagree, but that's particularly subjective. However I find it hard to argue that they are worst than any of the previous DMC's.

-- Cutscenes; as far as people not liking them during boss battles, I can understand that. I played Bayonetta though, sooo things like that don't really bother me much. But as far as them being unskippable; Select button. Some of the shorter ones aren't like the Succubus scenes, most of them are (like the Bob Barbas fight he showed IIRC.) But even Vergil's knockdown scenes in the last fight are skippable.

-- Lock on; a valid point, but I disagree with the reason he gives. DmC you have to press in the direction of the enemy. Ive never had problems with the soft Lock on in that manner. However, when 2 enemies are occupying the similar x coordinates with the difference being one is flying higher than the other or is further behind the latter, that can be a daunting problem.

-- You don't have to have two evade buttons, I play with one for instance. And the buttons can't be changed-- wh-- what the **** is he talking about?? :blink: I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume he means you're very limited in changing the controller scheme since I think you only have a few buttons free to choose from and almost everything has to be mapped before you exit that screen. Still, I also changed the devil trigger from the analogs to the down button.

-- No lock-on = less moves; not that DmC did this right, but nearly all of the moves in Bayonetta can be done without lock-on if you desire. They instead make use of ->->, <-->, and 360 motions. DmC could've definitely fit in at least a few more moves via double tap and the O button at the least.

-- Compared movelist; while he's right that DMC4 has the superior list, no contest, he left out the basic moves for both. This hurts the overall count for DmC since they combined aspects of the different styles into your basic moves.

-- Not an objection, but did they ever fix that retardedly gigantic helmbreaker hitbox?

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Its skippable, and its literally .01 second as you jump out to skip it, and that's really something that you think is worthy of derailing a thread about DmC sales w/ a conversation about how horrible the game is...

I didn't though, and I didn't say it was unskippable either; just that it annoyed me. I went on to comment about how I consider a well structured review should be written.

You should really consider reading entire posts before replying.

Yeah even his laugh at the beginning sounded fake. You know, the sort of laugh you make when you're angry about something but you try to laugh it off.

Yeah, he's bitterly disappointed. He isn't the only one.

So another insult to people who like the game.

No it's not, it's implying that he feels Buyers Remorse for paying full price on a game that he felt was disappointing.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I didn't though, and I didn't say it was unskippable either; just that it annoyed me. I went on to comment about how I consider a well structured review should be written.

You should really consider reading entire posts before replying.

Yeah, he's bitterly disappointed. He isn't the only one.

No it's not, it's implying that he feels Buyers Remorse for paying full price on a game that he felt was disappointing.

It still bugs me. I don't like people like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom