• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Sales 'solid'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
Actually, the data for the PC sellings is not there, i just wanted to point this out. But i highly doubt that it sold more than 50.000 on PC, even top-selling games sells less on the PC than on the consoles.
I see PC sales for DmC on the third source, but I'm pretty sure there isn't an HD collection for PC, because that's my preferred system and I couldn't find it, so I ended up buying the PS3 version (then again it's possible I just failed at using the internet and just couldn't find it...)

I think the implication is that the very nature of a fansite makes any opinions that come out of it subject to bias
It doesn't matter if the implication is as polite sounding as you interpreted it, to me and I'm sure others it didn't feel that way. It literally started by saying that this was damage control the thread.... Not exactly the best way to respond if you intend to be taken seriously by anyone who doesn't share your opinion.

As for PC sales, there is no way to know, Steam doesn't give out data, and neither do any of the other digital retailers, the only thing that is true is the profit margin's are much higher on digital copies on PC vs console titles sold, no licensing fees, no packaging, no shipping costs, etc.

Kam

It doesn't matter if the implication is as polite sounding as you interpreted it, to me and I'm sure others it didn't feel that way. It literally started by saying that this was damage control the thread.... Not exactly the best way to respond if you intend to be taken seriously by anyone who doesn't share your opinion.
There are people in this thread that have become emotionally invested in rejecting any information that implies this game didn't sell well. The way he said it was over the line, and he's being a dick, but at the same time he's not entirely wrong. A lot of people here need to take a breath and adopt a more neutral stance, talking about what they've found, and not what they want to find.

I wanted DmC to sell well, because this is the series that introduced me to hack-n-slashers. It really means a lot to me, and I don't want to see it die because it failed in sales. But I'm going to stubbornly defend that it sold like **** compared to the originals because that's what I've found, even though it's not what I wanted to find.

TL;DR
you can harvest something meaningful even from the most subversive troll spouting the worst kinds of bullshit

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
I see PC sales for DmC on the third source, but I'm pretty sure there isn't an HD collection for PC, because that's my preferred system and I couldn't find it, so I ended up buying the PS3 version (then again it's possible I just failed at using the internet and just couldn't find it...)

Yes, the HD collection was not released on PC. I was talking more about DmC in VGChartz, they have not tracked the PC sellings until now.

There are people in this thread that have become emotionally invested in rejecting any information that implies this game didn't sell well. The way he said it was over the line, and he's being a ****, but at the same time he's not entirely wrong. A lot of people here need to take a breath and adopt a more neutral stance, talking about what they've found, and not what they want to find.

TL;DR
you can harvest something meaningful even from the most subversive troll spouting the worst kinds of bullshit

But Kam, could you point out the people that you think need to adopt a more neutral stance? Did my post fit into this category? Even if I honestly believe what I said in it. I honestly don't know how this post went from Capcom says sales are solid good news to oh Capcom is doing damage control, because it has less sales than dmc4.

I think that it would help if you sometimes the people who disagree with fans tried to realize that most of us don't think about DMC4 sales or DMC3 sales when a post like this comes up. We simply think hey, Capcom said sales are good, I guess that means there will be a sequel. That's what I thought and I would guess that's what most people who are fans reading thought as well. I guess what I'm saying why should it really matter to fans if it sold this or sold that vs some other title in the series if the publisher, the entity ultimately in charge of greenlighting a sequel, is happy with the sales.

Kam

Yes, the HD collection was not released on PC. I was talking more about DmC in VGChartz, they have not tracked the PC sellings until now.
ah, you're right I didn't even notice before but the PC sales columns are all zeroes. If they haven't totaled up the sales from the PC version, there's a good chance that they could push DmC's sales over the .81 million of the HD collection, yeah?

I'm hoping the PC version sold a ****load, in that case. I really don't want this series to die due to low sales : (

Zey

I came here to laugh at you.
So, let me get this straight, if we as fans on a message board for a game dedicated for fans of the game react positively to news about said game from the publisher, we are automatically all grouped together as delusional, that post from Zey getting all those likes, I mean, really? Is that some people's idea of polite and civil discourse, labeling fans of a game into one giant group as if our opinions are merely nothing more than some sort of vast conspiracy to damage control for Capcom? How can you on one hand say, oh please don't group us haters, and then throw likes to a person who just grouped all fans and people who disagree with you in this post as either delusional or secret agents of Capcom trying to do damage control. This is what makes it hard to take some people seriously here.
I said "a lot of people here", I think "some" would be more fitting, but yeah, that doesn't change the delusion thing. English isn't my native language, but as I know, "delusional" means someone that think something will happen, but most likely won't. Are there more respective terms or something? I know it may sound a bit insulting.

But I can clearly understand if someone here labeled DmC fanbase as a whole like that, considering that people disliking the game are called haters, elitist, fanboys, drones, etc as a whole. I know that there are some people here that believe that the White House petition thing clearly says that we are all are like that, recent threads show me that perfectly.

Oh, and sorry, but I never said you guys are "secret agents from Capcom", as I think that there people that defend the game way too much, I know that there still fans here that can accept flaws too. I don't really know in which group are you, but if you somewhat disagree with me, then please tell me why I'm wrong saying that the game isn't a comercial sucess and it's clearly better make DMC 5 from a Capcom point of view.
Ironic, your post is nothing but damage control.
In which way? We already knew this would happen, Capcom expectation sales gave us that argument. So I'm not defending (since I wasn't wrong), I'm just refuting points.

Kam

But Kam, could you point out the people that you think need to adopt a more neutral stance? Did my post fit into this category? Even if I honestly believe what I said in it. I honestly don't know how this post went from Capcom says sales are solid good news to oh Capcom is doing damage control, because it has less sales than dmc4.

I think that it would help if you sometimes the people who disagree with fans tried to realize that most of us don't think about DMC4 sales or DMC3 sales when a post like this comes up. We simply think hey, Capcom said sales are good, I guess that means there will be a sequel. That's what I thought and I would guess that's what most people who are fans reading thought as well. I guess what I'm saying why should it really matter to fans if it sold this or sold that vs some other title in the series if the publisher, the entity ultimately in charge of greenlighting a sequel, is happy with the sales.
I'm not going to call out people by name, that never works out. It would be enough if they just changed things up from this point on

Well, Zey, delusional is most definitely sounds insulting to an English speaker.

As for the "secret agents of capcom" you may have not explicitly stated that, but by implying that this is damage control the thread. It implies that we have some sort of personal stake or connection that we would be posting in order to improve Capcom's image. That is the job of the public relations department in most companies.

Now as to what category I fall into, well, I'm definitely a fan of the game, and mainly from the level art design and gameplay perspective. So, if I hear or read that Capcom said DmC is selling well, I'm going to see it as good news and leave it that. I don't see how it would make sense to be a fan of something and then hear objectively good news and then instead of smiling about it go out of my way to find something to refute or question its validity.

I'm not going to call out people by name, that never works out. It would be enough if they just changed things up from this point on
I only ask, okay forget the names, how many posters. I just want there to be a real number attributed to the people who are being grouped together as people who need to take a breath. Because I can't tell who the people in this group are, and don't understand how linking or stating Capcom's official statement about DmC is somehow looking for things that aren't there. Wouldn't questioning the official statement in their investor report would be exactly what you're describing, ie looking for something that isn't in order to find something you want?

Zey

I came here to laugh at you.
As for the "secret agents of capcom" you may have not explicitly stated that, but by implying that this is damage control the thread. It implies that we have some sort of personal stake or connection that we would be posting in order to improve Capcom's image. That is the job of the public relations department in most companies.

Now as to what category I fall into, well, I'm definitely a fan of the game, and mainly from the level art design and gameplay perspective. So, if I hear or read that Capcom said DmC is selling well, I'm going to see it as good news and leave it that. I don't see how it would make sense to be a fan of something and then hear objectively good news and then instead of smiling about it go out of my way to find something to refute or question its validity.
When someone is doing damage control they try to defend something that can't really be defended. Sales aren't good, the article clearly say "solid sales", nothing more, and comparing which it's predecessors it's even worse.

I may sound negative, but if they said something like "DmC sold 3 million copies worldwide" I would be saying that you are perfectly right because it sold better than DMC 4 and was well received by reviewers, so DmC 2 would definitely be a thing and that would be a undeniable fact for me. Since this isn't the situation, I can't accept that. Just being as realist as I can.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
I only ask, okay forget the names, how many posters. I just want there to be a real number attributed to the people who are being grouped together as people who need to take a breath. Because I can't tell who the people in this group are, and don't understand how linking or stating Capcom's official statement about DmC is somehow looking for things that aren't there. Wouldn't questioning the official statement in their investor report would be exactly what you're describing, ie looking for something that isn't in order to find something you want?

Really you can read the posts in the thread to find out the guys who don't want to hear any negativity here.

I get that they want this to be "good news" and thus only see positive things since this affects the future of another DmC game being made, but some are under the impression that some of the guys here (my self included possibly) simply want to bad mouth this game and WANT it to fail.

I myself enjoyed the game, gave it a 7 out of 10 actually, but I'm just looking at this from my own perspective and giving my opinion on it, and not trying to be negative, but as I pointed out earlier and listed reasons why, I do not see this as anything to get to excited about.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
OpressedWritter is one of the most reasonable and expert DmC players that are active in this forum. Had already enjoyed discussions with him. If you are looking to discuss DmC mechanics or compare with another DMC titles, i would recommend to talk with him. Then we have the reasonable and respectful DmC fans like Lyssec, Loopy, TWOxACROSS and some others that are able to keep up a conversation or debate without being annoying.

Regarding the topic: there's absolutely no clue on how the sales are doing on Steam and another digital stores? All i can come out with is comparing the ratio between PC sales and console sales of another games to have some little idea about it, but the numbers float a little depending on the titles you see and compare.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
Before we continue, I'm going to point one thing out. Those "jerkish attitude" comebacks and oneliners from me? Look again, I was copy/pasting your own attitude back at you. As in I literally copied a post you had directed at me, isolated your insult, and pasted it back as part of my reply to you. You reacted by throwing a tantrum over how I was treating you.

Please don't let this lesson go over your head

that would explain a low sales number, but not an older game outselling its younger predecessors. Not in total, and not in the past, but as of right now more HD collections are being sold than copies of DmC.

You're gonna need more than just Amazon to validate your statement.
luckily for you I provided amazon, capcom, famitsu, and a uk retailer.
How about you? You're going to need more than just zero sources to validate your contradicting statement.
First of all, in your first post, you claimed that DMCHD is outselling DmC.
Secondly, I said that citing only Amazon is not enough.
Thirdly, you blatantly misinterpreted my statement by claiming that I was contradicting your statement when I was in fact simply asking you to substantiate your post and continued to do so over the course of the argument despite me addressing the issue plenty of times as if you were doing it on purpose, hence your jerkishness.

Now let's continue.

this source and this source are still sources. "Oh but that's only amazon, that doesn't prove anything!" yes, you're right, it is in no way conclusive. However it does have strong implications of an overall trend. If you feel this data isn't consistent with the rest of the sales, please, I invite you to find some additional sources of your own, instead of insulting mine from the sidelines while offering nothing of your own.

Let me explain it to you as simply as possible.

1. I asked you to provide more sources to validate your claim that DMCHD is outselling DmC in general.
2. You cited Amazon as a source.
3. I do not need to find any source for sales because I did not claim that DMCHD is outselling DmC nor did I claim the inverse. Let repeat this so that you can get this into your head.
"I do not need to find any source for sales because I did not claim that DMCHD is outselling DmC nor did I claim the inverse."
"I do not need to find any source for sales because I did not claim that DMCHD is outselling DmC nor did I claim the inverse."
Amazon is not an accurate representative for the trend of game sales because Amazon deals with a lot more than just video games. I'd be more inclined to believe you if you could provide sales ranking from somewhere like Gamestop.

Oh, here's two more sources that are pretty good.
source
source

Global sales for DmC .71 million, across 3 systems
Global sales for the HD collection .81 million, across only 2 systems.

That's 4 sources on this one subject. If you feel like the data is incomplete or wrong, I invite you to find better sources
As I've said to VineBigBoss
Sorry but I don't think that it's a wise idea to use VGC for accurate sales data and I'm sure you know that too.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05...-resident-evil-revelations-to-sell-12-million
In the article, it is said that Lost planet sales are at 4.9 million and the DMC franchise is at 12 million.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=lost planet

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=devil may cry
According to VGC, Lost Planet sales are at 3.5 million and the DMC franchise is at 13.53 million.
What's more VGC did not track the PC numbers for DmC and stop inviting me to find better sources because for the umpteenth time, I am not trying to prove a point, YOU are. To further illustrate the point, let me give you an example. Group A believes in god. Group B does not believe in god. Group C does not believe in god but also does not refute the existence of god because there is not enough evidence to prove that God exists or to prove that God does not exist. I am in group C.

Edit - and please, keep the insults to a minimum. I find that when people break out the attitude and name calling,
It doesn't help when you refuse to properly my posts.

the "discussion" becomes more about being right at all costs, and not about finding what's true.
You said that Capcom wanted DmC to sell more than DMC4. I proved you wrong.
You said that Capcom's aim of 2 million for DmC was a quarter of DMC4's sales. I proved you wrong.
When I said that the other part of one of your posts was irrelevant to me, you claimed that I think that comparing the sales of DMC and DmC was irrelevant. I proved you wrong.

Where have I said anything that is not true?

Kam

at least half of the posts I read portray DmC fans in a very negative, irrational light
edit - and I'm being deliberately vague here. That's half of the posts, not half of the posters.

if I call out people by name or set any hard number, I'll probably be met with people protesting that decision. If I leave it open like this, it invites people to question themselves, which is a million times more effective.

Well.... I might make one exception.
Speaking of which
the matter of DmC sales vs HD sales was resolved in an earlier post (186)
which is good because I don't feel that you're mature enough to continue any kind of discussion with. It's painfully evident that you will furiously defend what you want to be true, and any evidence to the contrary is met with astounding amounts of skepticism and cynicism. You've become too emotionally invested in "winning the battle" and I don't think you care very much about discussing what's true anymore.

So I'm ending it. If you can cool your temper I'll be more than happy to discuss anything you'd like in the future, but as of right now, any sort of discussion with you is not constructive discussion.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
the matter of DmC sales vs HD sales was resolved in an earlier post (186)
which is good because I don't feel that you're mature enough to continue any kind of discussion with. It's painfully evident that you will furiously defend what you want to be true, and any evidence to the contrary is met with astounding amounts of skepticism and cynicism. You've become too emotionally invested in "winning the battle" and I don't think you care very much about discussing what's true anymore.
You aren't exactly a shining example of maturity either when you resorted to using image macros when you had nothing else to say.

There was also nothing to discuss in the first place. All I did was ask you to substantiate your claim and suddenly issues, issues which I have resolved, about Capcom wanting DmC to sell more than DMC4 and others popped up.

So I'm ending it. If you can cool your temper I'll be more than happy to discuss anything you'd like in the future, but as of right now, any sort of discussion with you is not constructive discussion.
You can continue the discussion now because my temper is perfectly fine. If you can properly address each and every one of the issues in my posts, I would gladly leave you alone.

At the very least please explain why you keep thinking that I was trying to contradict your claim that DMCHD is outselling DmC.

Here's an example. Group A believes in god. Group B does not believe in god. Group C does not believe in god but also does not refute the existence of god because there is not enough evidence to prove that God exists or to prove that God does not exist. Now, let's replace "believes in god" with "claims that DMCHD is outselling DmC". You would have been in Group A and I would have been in Group C. Why do you refuse to understand this?

GF9000000Returns

If the game is selling fine, it's selling fine. There's no need to be all hasty people.

At this point everyone knows that DmC wasn't well received by consumers and the sales are really low compared to the other games. Which it's funny, because the game surely has more budget that every other entrie in the series. If it's good or bad doesn't mean anything, if you want a sequel or not that's up to you, but it's a FACT (yeah, FACT) that comercially is much better come with DMC 5 than DmC 2, and we are talking about one of the biggest money grabbers in the industry.

Really? Okay then, why don't you tell me why you think they didn't do a DMC5 after DMC4.

Kam

You can continue the discussion now because my temper is perfectly fine. If you can properly address each and every one of the issues in my posts, I would gladly leave you alone.
I did, and you didn't. A source was found for global sales comparing the two (I even commented that if you totaled PC sales DmC would probably be selling more than the HD collection) and in a single phrase you dismissed it and are continuing this pointless discussion.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
I did, and you didn't. A source was found for global sales comparing the two (I even commented that if you totaled PC sales DmC would probably be selling more than the HD collection) and in a single phrase you dismissed it and are continuing this pointless discussion.
I'm done trying to speak to a rock. Here's an advice for you. If you don't want to start unnecessary conflict, don't put words into people's mouths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom