• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Sales so far

AlchemistFromEden

They insult each other with faux-medieval repartee on the Jersey Shore? I guess they really want to rope in the Game of Thrones crowd, eh?

Now settle down darling because this might sting.

If shipped units aren't sold to a consumer, then the consumer is not paying for the upkeep of the game's development; the retail outlets are, and they aren't making a return on their investment. Publishers depend on retail outlets, and if the retail outlets fail to make an adequate profit it hurts their relationship with the publisher.

Videogames are not like the music industry; their primary, neigh sole form of revenue comes in the form of sales to the consumer in whatever form they take, whether that is by digital distribution or brick-and-mortar sales. The latter constitutes most of their revenue, and if CUSTOMERS haven't been buying games in adequate numbers, then the game has failed. They can't "tour" with a videogame, they can't "stream" their videogame, there are no alternative methods of revenue.

If the people who play videogames are not giving enough money to the people who make videogames then the industry is unsustainable. Therefore actual retail sales are what companies use to determine the success of their products, in any industry.
if sales mattered this much we wouldn't have gotten multiple jak and daxter sequels as well as well as a sequel to ico and shadow of the colossus in the form of the last guardian, the sales overtime is what really matters not right off the bat so there is really no point to discussing the sales at this point, especially when NT has made no announcements

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
if sales mattered this much we wouldn't have gotten multiple jak and daxter sequels as well as well as a sequel to ico and shadow of the colossus in the form of the last guardian, the sales overtime is what really matters not right off the bat so there is really no point to discussing the sales at this point, especially when NT has made no announcements
Oh I loved Ico. It really was a beauty of a game, the fact it told it's story visually was a nice change, even if I'd of prefered more cutscenes in it.

Kind of off subject, but I had to say that ^^

KIRA

Hmm, it doesn't seem to cite a source...
To be honest....yeahh it doesn't cite a source...you are right, but to tell you the truth, i don't care at all....all i wanted to hear was how many units has dmc shipped over ?? i am glad that it has shipped over 1 million units and also that's an official word from capcom itself as it says in the post... :)

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Hmm, it doesn't seem to cite a source...
Siliconera can be a bit...well, crap at citing their sources. They're more into the whole, "one insider said..." type of reporting. They're still better than VG24/7 though...that Stephanie Whatesherface does my head in with her inability to tell you where she got her (poorly-spelled) information from...

On the whole, Siliconera is pretty trustworthy though - they tend to be where a lot of other companies get their info from as well.

Agent47_89

Don't want to put a dent in your argument but Jax and Daxter did well enough to go platinum and weren't particularly expensive to make and Ico and SotC reviewed well and did enough to cover costs to warrant other projects.

If the NeoGAF thing is true, things look bad for DmC.

AlchemistFromEden

Don't want to put a dent in your argument but Jax and Daxter did well enough to go platinum and weren't particularly expensive to make and Ico and SotC reviewed well and did enough to cover costs to warrant other projects.

If the NeoGAF thing is true, things look bad for DmC.
remember resident evil 6 sold 4.8 million sales, where the target was 5 million, and capcom is already talking about doing a sequel or reboot

Agent47_89

remember resident evil 6 sold 4.8 million sales, where the target was 5 million, and capcom is already talking about doing a sequel or reboot

RE is a flagship title for Capcom and unless they fail spectacularly, a sequel is inevitable.

RE6 is not exceptionally bad, but not quite the direction people were hoping for.

AlchemistFromEden

RE is a flagship title for Capcom and unless they fail spectacularly, a sequel is inevitable.

RE6 is not exceptionally bad, but not quite the direction people were hoping for.
ORC failed spectacularly and revelations didn't sell very well due to exclusivity, devil may cry is also a flagship title for capcom despite not having a 2d phase like street fighter or an extremely polygonal phase like RE

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium

well Capcom has announced that the sales have weakened and thus have slashed their profit estimate for the game.

Here is a source
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...rofit-estimates-on-weak-resident-evil-6-sales

And recently they have been talking and giving fans the notion that they also feel that RE6 wasn't the right direction for the series and is even considering going back to the original "horror roots" of the RE series.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/31/resident-evil-will-return-to-its-roots

AlchemistFromEden

well Capcom has announced that the sales have weakened and thus have slashed their profit estimate for the game.

Here is a source
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...rofit-estimates-on-weak-resident-evil-6-sales

And recently they have been talking and giving fans the notion that they also feel that RE6 wasn't the right direction for the series and is even considering going back to the original "horror roots" of the RE series.
the most likely scenario is a reboot due to the story, what people don't realize more than half the time is that the characters of resident evil literally make a living out of killing zombies, chris gets paid alot for killing B.O.W.s so he's not scared, jake and sherry are basically bows themselves so they aren't scared, and leon was there at the beginning and at one point chased a licker instead of vice versa so he's not scared, if they want horror to be felt they need to reboot the series otherwise we'll probably get jill valentine as a character and god knows she won't be scared of anything

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
The thing people have to remember is that unlike other examples, DmC has been fighting an uphill against the gridiron army of hate since that first trailer in 2010. People see, despite good reviews, all the hate and bile from angry nerdraging "fans" who probably didn't even PLAY the game on youtube videos, streams and other media...they're gonn'a go "whoa, lot of people piling the hate on this. Guess I'll fall back to tried and true, if not horrendously stale and copy-pasted CoD since that's what always sells big instead of trying this game out."

Kishido

Hunter
People... Don't compare Resident Evil as franchise to DMC/DmC... Even if 4.8 were lower as expected it is easily close to 4 times more as DmC

Agent47_89

ORC failed spectacularly and revelations didn't sell very well due to exclusivity, devil may cry is also a flagship title for capcom despite not having a 2d phase like street fighter or an extremely polygonal phase like RE

Not really, it never sold like SF and RE. RE had quite a few duds before this, like the lightgun RE. ORC did around 2 mill.

Here is a source

I don't see how they can go back without ****ing up the controls, people not liking the direction DS3 has taken but DS1 was just as actiony as RE4.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
the most likely scenario is a reboot due to the story, what people don't realize more than half the time is that the characters of resident evil literally make a living out of killing zombies, chris gets paid alot for killing B.O.W.s so he's not scared, jake and sherry are basically bows themselves so they aren't scared, and leon was there at the beginning and at one point chased a licker instead of vice versa so he's not scared, if they want horror to be felt they need to reboot the series otherwise we'll probably get jill valentine as a character and god knows she won't be scared of anything

well all of that could be fixed by simply adding new charcters to the story while keeping the story the same.

I just think some people are to reboot happy these days.

Characters like Leon and Chris could be put in a supporting role instead.

OR

They could simply make a situation similar to Code Veronica where Chris who was by that time a experienced operative lost all of his equipment at the beginning of his section of the game.

A situation similar could arise where these vets lose their equipment and have to face the hords of BOWs unprepared.

You see?

A reboot isn't always the answer, there are ways to go back to survival horror and still keep the storyline.
I don't see how they can go back without ******* up the controls, people not liking the direction DS3 has taken but DS1 was just as actiony as RE4.

People really did not have a problem with the GAMEPLAY of RE4.

If there is anything Dead Space 1 has shown us, you can still have survival horror with over the shoulder gameplay.

AlchemistFromEden

well all of that could be fixed by simply adding new charcters to the story while keeping the story the same.

I just think some people are to reboot happy these days.

Characters like Leon and Chris could be put in a supporting role instead.

OR

They could simply make a situation similar to Code Veronica where Chris who was by that time a experienced operative lost all of his equipment at the beginning of his section of the game.

A situation similar could arise where these vets lose their equipment and have to face the hords of BOWs unprepared.

You see?

A reboot isn't always the answer, there are ways to go back to survival horror and still keep the storyline.

People really did not have a problem with the GAMEPLAY of RE4.

If there is anything Dead Space 1 has shown us, you can still have survival horror with over the shoulder gameplay.
unless they downgrade the melee combat to being as useless as deadspace i wouldn't be afraid of no equipment, hell people do no gun runs of both re6 and re5, disempowerment of powerful characters isn't the real answer either, and the gameplay of re4 would be a step back both in shooter mechanics, god forbid we go back to standing still to shoot weapons as a cheap way to force players to pick and choose their shots

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
unless they downgrade the melee combat to being as useless as deadspace i wouldn't be afraid of no equipment, hell people do no gun runs of both re6 and re5, disempowerment of powerful characters isn't the real answer either, and the gameplay of re4 would be a step back both in shooter mechanics, god forbid we go back to standing still to shoot weapons as a cheap way to force players to pick and choose their shots

I'm not talking about NO equipment, I'm talking about limiting it similar to Code Veronica.

Chris came to that island prepared and lost all of his gear.

As the game went on he found less powerful weapons than he most likely brought with him.

And yea, I like to move and shoot as well, so keeping the over the shoulder perspective while also being able to move would be ok with me.

AlchemistFromEden

I'm not talking about NO equipment, I'm talking about limiting it similar to Code Veronica.

Chris came to that island prepared and lost all of his gear.

As the game went on he found less powerful weapons than he most likely brought with him.

And yea, I like to move and shoot as well, so keeping the over the shoulder perspective while also being able to move would be ok with me.
still wouldn't be very afraid because its chris redfield, when he sees a monster instead of thinking "holy **** wtf is that thing" he thinks to himself, hmmm, a new monster type, that means *gasp*
tumblr_m8tlodDb1m1qlalfko1_500.gif

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
still wouldn't be very afraid because its chris redfield, when he sees a monster instead of thinking "holy **** wtf is that thing" he thinks to himself, hmmm, a new monster type, that means *gasp*
tumblr_m8tlodDb1m1qlalfko1_500.gif

Lol I doubt even Chris wouldn't be afraid of having to face hords of new breed hunters with only a freaken pistol.

And as I pointed out earlier, if you don't like the depowering the veteran heroes than how about some new blood?

Chris and Leon could just be moved to strictly a supportive role.

The story doesn't have to be rebooted.

Bioterroism is happening all over the world and not just where Chris and Leon are.

Top Bottom