• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Sales so far

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Counting the success of games in "Units Shipped" is a really awful economic practice Capcom has taken to recently in lieu of their massive failures. A game is shipped based on expectation, it succeeds based on how many consumers actually buy the damned thing. If there's a huge discrepancy between product shipped and product sold it shows that the retailers lost a huge amount of money and that faith between them and the publisher has been damaged. If retailers have no faith that a publisher's products will sell, the next time a triple-A release comes along they won't buy as many as before.

It's like if a logger counts twigs instead of trees. He might be pleased with himself now, but he's going to freeze when winter comes.

Dylan20

Actually i mean people have terrible tastes
Guess i should had seen that one coming. Just saying that is your opinion But alot of people beg to differ.

Not trying to be mean to you or anything though so i hope i'm not coming off hostile like.

MedicoreR

Counting the success of games in "Units Shipped" is a really awful economic practice Capcom has taken to recently in lieu of their massive failures. A game is shipped based on expectation, it succeeds based on how many consumers actually buy the damned thing..
You are wrong sir.
People rent the game, pirate the game, rants about the game.
Good shipping is great deal for the games of today.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
You are wrong sir.
People rent the game, pirate the game, rants about the game.
Good shipping is great deal for the games of today.

Yes, but it doesn't take into account the amount of capital the retailers make. if the publisher sells a large amount of units, the retailer gets them, can't sell them and sends them back, then it's devastating to the retailer and destroys trust between them and the publisher.

Were you asleep when Resident Evil 6 was one of the biggest flops of last year, and Capcom pointed to their mighty "Shipped" statistics like it meant anything?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=151614

And what the flying Hell does pirating or ranting have to do with anything?!

Winterfrost

Shadow-of-Sundered-Star
>Pirate it
>Play it
>Rant about it.
>"Thank god I didn't actually buy this godforsaken game, don't want to waste my money."
^There you go..unless I'm wrong.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
>Pirate it
>Play it
>Rant about it.
>"Thank god I didn't actually buy this godforsaken game, don't want to waste my money."
^There you go..unless I'm wrong.

Yes, but it has nothing to do with Capcom's inane "Shipped Units" boasts does it? "Shipped Units" have no impact on whether or not people pirate a game, they only infer how many units Capcom tricked retailers into wholesaling from them before the retailers realised that they could never get their money back on the product they bought.

GF9000000Returns

Yeah, I'm finding it annoying people are constantly worrying about sales were, they were from day one. What are we bankers? @_@

This I gotta agree with. Seriously, shouldn't we be enjoying the game instead of worrying about that? I mean, I want a DmC2 (more than DMC5) and all but if it won't happen anytime soon, then so be it, I rather for the whole DMC franchise to die peacefully than rush one for the money, and that's something that Capcom would do with a DMC5, just use it for an apology and the money.

Am I the only one that doesn't want that? If Capcom's gonna make a DMC5, they better use the time wisely instead of making it as an apology.

Kishido

Hunter
Oh now this is getting ridiculous... People are fine with no DmC, just because, sad as it is, this game bombed very hard

MedicoreR

I suprised by this question.Do you live in Earth?

RANTING: Who goes to store and looks at to COVER of a game and buy it? Everyone sees youtube videos, sees its DISLIKES, sees HATES on the right side and decide to not buy the game.

PIRATING on XBOX: Xbox360 couldnt be pirating but right now its easy as f***. Even microsoft ''Oh hell, tired of this s***, im all on new console now'' So people PIRATES non-coded non-multiplayer games so much. Especially AAA ones. Especiall the games WHICH are DISLIKED on YOUTUBE.

PIRATING on PC: If a release day of game is same with all ports then THE GAME WILL BE F***ED by pc pirates on sale.

Who would pay 60$ for a game which can be downloaded in 2 hours for free?
Thats what piraters think.

note: If i were you, i wouldnt trust vgchartz. I remember they've said Umvc3 sold ''40k units'' while Capcom laughing at VGChartz - yet its over 1 million

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
<Nothing whatsoever to do with Capcom using "Units Shipped" as an indicator of a product's success instead of "Units Sold", like every other videogame company in the world>

Who stole your brain? I will quest for it until the brigands who pilfered it have been taken to justice Sir.

MedicoreR

Who stole your brain? I will quest for it until the brigands who pilfered it have been taken to justice Sir.
If you insult me again, im gonna do something to your jersey shore mouth

Now, again ''shipping units'' are more important than ''sold units'' cause its 2013 and people RENT,RANT,PIRATE every f*cking thing in worldwide.
No musician EARNS MONEY from ALBUM SELLINGS anymore. They are paying buy concerts, streams, radios and sh*ts.

Now, do you need more explanation or can you understand the rest?

(and every EVERY company uses SHIPPED UNITS nowadays)

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
I suprised by this question.Do you live in Earth?

RANTING: Who goes to store and looks at to COVER of a game and buy it? Everyone sees youtube videos, sees its DISLIKES, sees HATES on the right side and decide to not buy the game.

PIRATING on XBOX: Xbox360 couldnt be pirating but right now its easy as f***. Even microsoft ''Oh hell, tired of this s***, im all on new console now'' So people PIRATES non-coded non-multiplayer games so much. Especially AAA ones. Especiall the games WHICH are DISLIKED on YOUTUBE.

PIRATING on PC: If a release day of game is same with all ports then THE GAME WILL BE F***ED by pc pirates on sale.

Who would pay 60$ for a game which can be downloaded in 2 hours for free?
Thats what piraters think.

And this is why I proudly went against my reservations, tried the demo, found that Dante was, infact, STILL the Dante we know, just a little douchier, but less of a clown than in DMC4, the game was fun, and pre-ordered, and payed my full price for it, and my free vergil's Downfall bonus.

Would rather have the Bone Pack than Samurai pack, those things look stupid.

D H

Didn't CAPCOM already informed us that dmc has shipped over 1 million units .... ? For a hack and slash game , i think the sales are pretty good compared to other games of the same genre....especially nowadays when people don't have much money , it's a great achievement...!!! Also it isn't over yet....1 million units were shipped only on January... The pc version and the digital version of the game aren't included....at my point of view, it's a good start.... :)

They were supposed to ship 2 million by March. They revised that down to 1.2 million by March. They've only sold 187,000 in North America and 160,000 in Japan. And the PC version of DmC only stayed in the top ten on Steam's best selling and then promptly fell to #20 and frequently ends up in the high 60's and at some points low 80's in ranking, and this is a mere month after release. So maybe add an extra 50,000 to 100,000 to the sales. So they've still done under 500,000 in the first month.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
They were supposed to ship 2 million by March. They revised that down to 1.2 million by March. They've only sold 187,000 in North America and 160,000 in Japan.
Actually I justed checked on the VGChartz,

It's 201,892 for the Xbox and 115,378 for PS3 in the USA
While for Japan it's 165,405 for the PS3 and 8,045 on the Xbox360 [Wow, they sure love their PS3 over there don't they :lol: .]

So the correct number is:
317,270 for the USA
175,450 for Japan.

D H

Actually I justed checked on the VGChartz,

It's 201,892 for the Xbox and 115,378 for PS3 in the USA
While for Japan it's 165,405 for the PS3 and 8,045 on the Xbox360 [Wow, they sure love their PS3 over there don't they :lol: .]

So the correct number is:
317,270 for the USA
175,450 for Japan.

Yes, well that's VGChartz, who has already changed their numbers several times for this game. I'm going based off of NPD and Media Create as they actually have some credibility and industry renown.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Yes, well that's VGChartz, who has already changed their numbers several times for this game. I'm going based off of NPD and Media Create as they actually have some credibility and industry renown.
So all the numbers are different then? Then I guess none are reliable. T_T

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
If you insult me again, im gonna do something to your jersey shore mouth

They insult each other with faux-medieval repartee on the Jersey Shore? I guess they really want to rope in the Game of Thrones crowd, eh?

Now settle down darling because this might sting.

If shipped units aren't sold to a consumer, then the consumer is not paying for the upkeep of the game's development; the retail outlets are, and they aren't making a return on their investment. Publishers depend on retail outlets, and if the retail outlets fail to make an adequate profit it hurts their relationship with the publisher.

Videogames are not like the music industry; their primary, neigh sole form of revenue comes in the form of sales to the consumer in whatever form they take, whether that is by digital distribution or brick-and-mortar sales. The latter constitutes most of their revenue, and if CUSTOMERS haven't been buying games in adequate numbers, then the game has failed. They can't "tour" with a videogame, they can't "stream" their videogame, there are no alternative methods of revenue.

If the people who play videogames are not giving enough money to the people who make videogames then the industry is unsustainable. Therefore actual retail sales are what companies use to determine the success of their products, in any industry.

nephlim god

Why are peoe sk determined to smite DmC . Do t get me wrong i loved the old ones but the reeboot is insanely good. If we dont support DmC and just maybe give it a chance (all you haterz who havent tried it) then we may loose devil may cry alltogeather

Top Bottom