• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Sales so far

Mister Z

Changes avatars like they were t-shirts
Maybe. I'm not sure, as I haven't read the novels. Something tells me it might've been explained, though, just like a lot of things were supposedly explained in the DMC4 novel, while the game left nearly all questions unanswered.

What do you think, Mister Z?

Sorry, never read the novels, and in all honesty I don't know if I'd ever really gain enough interest in checking them out.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
Is the Anime suppose to be Canon too? because after the first episode i was done becaue Dante was just as lazy as he was in DMC2

snausages

1.2 million sales was the (drastically) revised sales projection Capcom made after the it became obvious the game would never sell 2 million copies. So even if it meets that target it will be little more than a pyrrhic victory. 700000 copies is not good at all for a game with such lavish production values. DmC wasn't made on the cheap. A ton of talent was involved and you can really see where the money went.

And as someone else mentioned, 5 million was the original goal.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Is the Anime suppose to be Canon too? because after the first episode i was done becaue Dante was just as lazy as he was in DMC2

I think I read the anime is indeed canon. I really wasn't interested in it. Saw one or two episodes, and got bored out of my mind, even though Dante seemed a bit like the one from DMC1, or maybe a combination of 1 and 2.

ReverseSuperman

I think I read the anime is indeed canon. I really wasn't interested in it. Saw one or two episodes, and got bored out of my mind, even though Dante seemed a bit like the one from DMC1, or maybe a combination of 1 and 2.

Yeah I wasn't a fan of the anime either. It felt like a missed opportunity for me.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Meeting the target or not, DmC2(if it happens) is going to have to make massive changes if it wants to win back the massive fanbase it had.
I'm willing to bet that maybe DmC will reach around 800,000 or 850,000 then people will just start trading it in and others buying the pre-owned copies, not to mention the highly anticipated Metal Gear Rising is only days away which will most likely crush DmC with it's sales and attention, then 3 weeks later will be God of War Ascension. So I think DmC will only make it up to around 900,000 in new copies.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
I suppose the whole point was to make it a bit mysterious. To make that line ''foolishness'' etc more up to interpretation than it would be if they just said ''oh yeah, Vergil wants power... just because''.

You could also say it was Vergil's fate to be the opposite of Dante, just like Sparda had two sides to him: the human-like side, and the demonic side. Vergil is Sparda's demonic side, while Dante represents his emotional side. The emotional, human-like side always prevails, which is DMC3's theme as well as DMC4's. It's just that DMC4 focused on the 'love' aspect more. That would indeed make DMC pretty much lack character motivation.

I'm guessing the Japanese don't like finality as much as we do. We always want answers for everything, whereas I often get the sense that a believable story is enough for them.
Well mysteriousness is one thing and poor plot writing is another. Capcom had done an awful job at giving Vergil any type of plausible motive for his actions in DMC3 other than just wanting power. If you ignore all the supplemental stuff(most of which makes the story even more convoluted) and just take DMC3's plot on it's own merits it obvious Vergil had no real point to his ambitions.He exist to give DMC3 one of the many things DMC2 lacked, a rival character. and his personality seems to be more about being Dante's opposite than having any actual depth or characterization. I would be wary of reading so much into any DMC plot too much as for the most part they seem to be more of framing devices than actual plots. Their purpose is to give you some sort of vague context for the gameplay and play's 8th fiddle to the main focus of the game, the stylish action.

DmC seems to be the only game in the series that actually thought of the storyline at all as a true focus point. Whether you like that story is a different matter all together. I would also REALLY dispute that claim the japanese don't like finality or explanation as i have played enough japanese game where the plot is the focus and it seems like they enjoy explaining too much and to a games detriment....like Kingdom Hearts for example where every useless side character of little detail is giving enough exposition to drown even the biggest KH lore nerds. That's probably my best example but the list goes on and on.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Well mysteriousness is one thing and poor plot writing is another. Capcom had done an awful job at giving Vergil any type of plausible motive for his actions in DMC3 other than just wanting power. If you ignore all the supplemental stuff(most of which makes the story even more convoluted) and just take DMC3's plot on it's own merits it obvious Vergil had no real point to his ambitions.He exist to give DMC3 one of the many things DMC2 lacked, a rival character. and his personality seems to be more about being Dante's opposite than having any actual depth or characterization. I would be wary of reading so much into any DMC plot too much as for the most part they seem to be more of framing devices than actual plots. Their purpose is to give you some sort of vague context for the gameplay and play's 8th fiddle to the main focus of the game, the stylish action.

3 tells it's story with much more subtlety than you'd expect from an action tale that prizes spectacle so heartily. Vergil never finds a reason to deliver lengthy exposition in deadpan shot/reverse shot like New Vergil does, and it gives his character the enigmatic elan that players responded to so warmly. The game respects our intelligence by telling us just enough to ignite our interest without explicitly laying everything about each character right out in the open. The characters convey their personas through body language and actions much more than dialogue, thereby allowing the mo-cap artists to focus on making each of them unique.

Besides which, most of time inferring the truth is much more compelling than knowing for certain.

DmC seems to be the only game in the series that actually thought of the storyline at all as a true focus point. Whether you like that story is a different matter all together. I would also REALLY dispute that claim the japanese don't like finality or explanation as i have played enough japanese game where the plot is the focus and it seems like they enjoy explaining too much and to a games detriment....like Kingdom Hearts for example where every useless side character of little detail is giving enough exposition to drown even the biggest KH lore nerds. That's probably my best example but the list goes on and on.

And that's why the inverse can be such an awful idea.

Remember when you beat KH1, and the truth of what was going on was vague and mysterious, an undiscovered country you wanted to explore so much you couldn't stop yourself from thinking about it?

Then the sequels came along and you had so much exposition that you couldn't stand it anymore.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
3 tells it's story with much more subtlety than you'd expect from an action tale that prizes spectacle so heartily. Vergil never finds a reason to deliver lengthy exposition in deadpan shot/reverse shot like New Vergil does, and it gives his character the enigmatic elan that players responded to so warmly. The game respects our intelligence by telling us just enough to ignite our interest without explicitly laying everything about each character right out in the open. The characters convey their personas through body language and actions much more than dialogue, thereby allowing the mo-cap artists to focus on making each of them unique.

Besides which, most of time inferring the truth is much more compelling than knowing for certain.

Remember when you beat KH1, and the truth of what was going on was vague and mysterious, an undiscovered country you wanted to explore so much you couldn't stop yourself from thinking about it?

Then the sequels came along and you had so much exposition that you couldn't stand it anymore.
I can see your point, I would say DmC Vergil was not that exposition heavy at all and didn't to me at least seem to throw his motives in your face too much. By the time you reached the end of the game you knew what was going to happen because they gave enough hints without pointing them out with glowing neon signs.I don't think DmC hits you over the head with it's story too much, especially compared to something like KH or FF or a lot of Japanese developed games.

I honestly am ok with DMC3 Vergil not stating his every motive in great detail and I love the fact that they never state why Dante and Vergil have such bad blood but I would not have minded some little inclination as to why he is so power hungry, didn't need to be something big like a giant 10 minute flashback, just something, and the novels don't count.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover

I can see your point, I would say DmC Vergil was not that exposition heavy at all and didn't to me at least seem to throw his motives in your face too much. By the time you reached the end of the game you knew what was going to happen because they gave enough hints without pointing them out with glowing neon signs.I don't think DmC hits you over the head with it's story too much, especially compared to something like KH or FF or a lot of Japanese developed games.

I honestly am ok with DMC3 Vergil not stating his every motive in great detail and I love the fact that they never state why Dante and Vergil have such bad blood but I would not have minded some little inclination as to why he is so power hungry, didn't need to be something big like a giant 10 minute flashback, just something, and the novels don't count.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine

It's certainly not much better than those kinds of games. DmC is top-loaded with intrusive dialogue and cutscenes at all times just as obnoxiously as Dead Space 3, chiming in when you should be trying to enjoy the atmosphere and art design, laying out every plot twist well in advance. It's idiot-proof writing for an idiot-intended game, because that's what NT thinks you will respond to. You couldn't possibly appreciate a storyline that didn't have every character painstakingly describing every element therein in the most blatant terms, could you? Of course not, that's why New Dante is the way he is. You couldn't possibly respond positively to a fun-loving quick-witted joy seeker.

No, people want to be the lowest common denominator in their escapist fantasies. They want to shout curse words at their enemies instead of exchanging snarky ribbing, they want to be the guy who wears women like tacky jewelry, they want the guy who explains every childhood trauma in complete deadpan to show us that he's too cool for legitimate pathos.

Antonaides's writing is his commentary on YOU, and it isn't flattering.

His father abandoned him, his mother and brother when he was an infant, then shortly after demons kicked in the door to his house and brutally murdered his mum. With that in mind the player comes to their own conclusions as to why he's such a prick, and can suppose why Dante would have turned out so differently. 3 even implies that they used to work together a year before the game and even killed demons together ("What is you used to say?" "JACKPOT!", which also sets up the fact that Dante avenges Vergil by saying the same thing!).

It's all there for you, all you need is imagination.

D H

You guys do know that VGChartz just revised their numbers to 410,000 PS3 and 200,000 Xbox 360, right? And you do know that NPD vastly disagrees with these numbers as they have 189,000 for both version, if I understand the rumor correctly, for both consoles, right? Those are hardly good sales when you consider this was supposed to do better than Devil May Cry 4. 610,000 in 4 weeks of sales and a revised shipment expectation 800,000 units downwards does not bode well for a DmC 2. Hell, it doesn't bode well for a Devil May Cry 5. Or, if we take NPD's numbers, under 500,000 units sold in 3 to 5 weeks is a massive cause for concern. That "Death of a franchise" sales right there.

And while we go based off of VGChartz, DmC has been dropping like a rock from week to week in all regions. It has dropped around 50% each week for both versions non-stop and with Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and God of War: Ascension coming out soon... it doesn't look like it's gonna get any better for DmC.

D H

And going off of online sales: DmC never broke the top ten on Amazon and is currently ranked #504 after a mere month and DmC has usually hovered above #20 on the best sellers list on Steam and is currently #63.

I don't mean to be a drag, but how are you guys seeing any of this as good?

And the goal was to ship 1.2 million by the end of March, not to sell that many. There's a big difference.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Let them have their hope, but keep on posting your data as long as it's accurate (Some links would be nice). Also you can just use the edit button instead of double posting if you wouldn't mind chief.

Awake

Under the Promised Flag
You guys do know that 700k is really bad for a suppose AAA title...they used alot of money in production value and marketing....from 5 million to 2 million now to 1.2 million...the game is an utter failure sales wise...

Nekodark

I am still glad I do not care about charts or sales since I get nothing out of it, I have the game I am enjoying it that is all the heck that matters to me,

If I am not getting paid based on sales or get any kind of monies if the ranking is good then it is all pointless to me and the only reason to care is ego from pointing out if something fails or pointing out when something is doing well..either way it is a bit much and amusing to watch but hey to each their own I have what matters in my game consoles.

snausages

Sales figures for this game matter because it's not likely that Capcom will want to continue with this rebooted series if it doesn't appear that many people are interested in it. If this game doesn't sell well then there probably won't be a DmC2. So that's why it's important to some people.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I hope a sequel gets made. DmC deserves to continue and if Capcom even decides to make another Devil May Cry that's just going back to the original series so soon, then you know they are just selling out. DmC only came out about a month ago though so this ain't bad. Nowadays if you want to sell millions upon millions of copies of a game, then you better make a stupid military shooter. Every other genre is hardly even on the radar anymore.

Nekodark

No what I am saying is it does not matter to me and yes good sales figures can make a company want to continue but there is no guarantee that anything will come of it, so why even care if there is no indication either way besides others speculation what ever happens is up to the owners no matter what. so again why care about the sales when the company could just say either 'hey let's make more' either way or 'Screw it and cut loses' either way..to much to care about if I am not working there and my lively hood does not depend on it those are the people it should really matter to..the workers. fans they may or may not like what happens with a game they like but their lives are not dependent on what happens the people who work for said company are the ones who should really care of the sales.

As I said I am not getting paid to care I have what I want already which is the game, so there is no need for me to care about the sales and crow or worry about them since my life moves on beyond that and it seems to gain nothing either way talking about it positively or negatively but again this is me not everyone feels like it does not really matter like the workers I mentioned. don't mind me just never as I remember cared about things like that when me enjoying a game was more important..and I have had a big can of MONSTER while working so...yeah lol

snausages

If you don't care about the implications poor sales might have for this series then I'm not sure why you bothered to post. It's nice that you enjoy DmC but there's a very real possibility that it will be the last. Games don't get green-lighted on a whim.

Top Bottom