• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Official Demo Thread

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It'd be better if you experienced it for yourself.

However, when it comes to controls: forget everything you know about the controls of DMC, but keep the spirit of it there, like launching and juggling and all that.

LeoXCV

Single life for life
Dude...Chaser went on the hunt for those glitches. I can't even do them myself, so I wouldn't say they are something of a basic mechanic.

And buffering is something that's been done for years now. It's become part of natural gameplay mechanics, why shouldn't it be accessible to everyone?
I was on about glitchy timings getting in the way when they could easily be refined. I wasn't even referencing chaser's findings. It may have been me writing to the wrong post in the wrong way (I was tired) but my point still remains that majority of glitches found don't benefit combo potential in any way and is just NT not refining/fixing them. No game development company should have excuses for leaving glitches in the game when they can easily be fixed.

In fact, many game developers as of late have been releasing unfinished games and it is starting to really tick me off, but that's a rant for another time.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Keep in mind this is a demo taken out of the main game and modified heavily from the state it's in in the full release.

They're troubling indeed, but demos create some problems that aren't seen in full builds, and they've had a long time to polish and fix things up, so I'd try to have a little more faith.

ChaserTech

Keep in mind this is a demo taken out of the main game and modified heavily from the state it's in in the full release.

They're troubling indeed, but demos create some problems that aren't seen in full builds, and they've had a long time to polish and fix things up, so I'd try to have a little more faith.

It's hard to have faith in a game that changed so much, granted that the game should be treated a bit differently for straying in it's own path. Although it shouldn't be completely nullified from critiques and comparisons from other games just because it's a reboot.

Take Spider-Man for example. The franchise has been rebooted, twisted, and changed so many times. However there were key components within the series that kept the character in tact. He was still a geek, worked as a photographer, and always had a comical response towards every situation. Same thing goes for Batman, the X-Men series, and etc. And even when things were changed, it often had a negative response for it.

Aside from how Dante has changed, when people play a demo (and if it has a lot of glitches) then they will get a bad first impression from the game.

I don't care that the dev team is still working on the build even after the demo is released. If casual players are playing their demo, and it's broken, people will get discouraged from playing the actual product. It's a bad tactic for a company to do to their consumers. Overall, I think the game will do fairly decent since it has gotten more positive feedback compared to the initial reaction from the fans. Even my opinion changed a little, but not by too much.

LeoXCV

Single life for life

I can see what you mean, but often when any game developer state their now working on DLC instead of putting everything into polishing for release I do often lower my expectations. But also until any game is released I do expect the utmost worst. As a plus I don't ever feel in the slightest bit crushed when I find a release to be bad, and when it's good I feel real good.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It's hard to have faith in a game that changed so much, granted that the game should be treated a bit differently for straying in it's own path. Although it shouldn't be completely nullified from critiques and comparisons from other games just because it's a reboot.

Take Spider-Man for example. The franchise has been rebooted, twisted, and changed so many times. However there were key components within the series that kept the character in tact. He was still a geek, worked as a photographer, and always had a comical response towards every situation. Same thing goes for Batman, the X-Men series, and etc. And even when things were changed, it often had a negative response for it.

Aside from how Dante has changed, when people play a demo (and if it has a lot of glitches) then they will get a bad first impression from the game.

I don't care that the dev team is still working on the build even after the demo is released. If casual players are playing their demo, and it's broken, people will get discouraged from playing the actual product. It's a bad tactic for a company to do to their consumers. Overall, I think the game will do fairly decent since it has gotten more positive feedback compared to the initial reaction from the fans. Even my opinion changed a little, but not by too much.

I'm not quite sure what you were getting at, in regards to changes, I was talking about how the demo is very different from the final product, right down to enemy waves remixed, or entirely gone in the church's case, and having access to things you might not have in the full game. It had nothing to do how DmC was different from the classic series, but how the demo is changed drastically from the final game :x

I actually said this same thing to you in your YouTube video about the glitches (I'm Derekoe on there) :p

However, I wonder...how easy is it to do these near-gamebreaking glitches? Don't you have to be mashing a lot of buttons, too?

And, actually what console are all you guys playing on anyways that you're finding these glitches? I've been playing on the PS3 and haven't come across any glitches...so I wonder if the demo is just jacked on one console or something >.<

LeoXCV

Single life for life
However, I wonder...how easy is it to do these near-gamebreaking glitches? Don't you have to be mashing a lot of buttons, too?

And, actually what console are all you guys playing on anyways that you're finding these glitches? I've been playing on the PS3 and haven't come across any glitches...so I wonder if the demo is just jacked on one console or something >_<
Well a lot of the glitches I came across could be done by any average joe by accident, a good example is one where I fell through the map because I airdashed at a bit of path going up in one of the escape parts. I can recreate it too so there's definitely something up there :/

N I'm finding these on 360.

ChaserTech

I'm not quite sure what you were getting at, in regards to changes, I was talking about how the demo is very different from the final product, right down to enemy waves remixed, or entirely gone in the church's case, and having access to things you might not have in the full game. It had nothing to do how DmC was different from the classic series, but how the demo is changed drastically from the final game :x

I actually said this same thing to you in your YouTube video about the glitches (I'm Derekoe on there) :p

And, actually what console are all you guys playing on anyways that you're finding these glitches? I've been playing on the PS3 and haven't come across any glitches...so I wonder if the demo is just jacked on one console or something >_<

When I'm talking about changes, I mean changes in the franchise. DmC changed a lot of things compared to the games before and we all obviously know that already.

As for the glitches that I've found, most of them were from experimentation. I only played for a good 30 - 45 minutes and I just happened to come across all of them in that short amount of time. I believe what makes this believable is because I'm pretty varied when it comes to games, along with being a playtester for a fan mod of SSBM. They aren't that hard to do. In fact I'll explain them.

1st Glitch: Cancelled Prop Shredder.

I did this after I figured out you could cancel Rising Rainstorm immediately after by pressing the jump button. After that I kinda wondered if I could attack/do anything else out of it. The result was that.

I noted that using Arbiter and Rebellion didn't result in the same manner as using Rake because of the fact in which Dante hangs in the air. With Arbiter, he'll gain a bit of height slowly as he's attacking. And with Rebellion, the same happens. Except when using Aerial Rave. Instead he'll just attack with a short hop then use Aerial Rave, although I haven't tested this thoroughly. With Rake, he hangs in the air while extending his arm below him in order to use Rake. I assume that has to do with it.

So basically it's Rising Rainstorm -> Angel Glide -> Prop Shredder.

The timing for this is kinda strict. With practice, you should nail it. And from what I can tell, it's not beneficial at all since you cannot do anything until Dante "puts Osiris away".

2nd Glitch: Invisible Platform.

Like I said before, I had no idea what I was doing in the video. I got EXTREMELY bored since I noticed that Dante would sometimes slide against the wall as he's using Angel Glide. Then that happened.

3rd Glitch: Arbiter Drop not causing damage

This is kinda self explanatory.

I JC'd Drop while I was in midair and I noticed that it didn't cause my rank to change at all. In fact it was never listed that I actually performed the move as well. A user who I assumed that was subscribed to me told me that Arbiter wasn't increasing my style meter at all so I wanted to make sure if it caused damage or not, even though I was clearly hitting the enemy. That caused me to go to the secret mission, the one with the S rank achievement, counted the amount of hits it took to kill a basic enemy, and starting using JC'd Arbiter Drops on it after I got it to low health. After that I knew that the attack didn't cause any type of damage in midair.

4th Glitch: Automatically Charging E&I

I had a field day with this one.

Basically I got bored with the game and wanted to see if I could somehow cancelled charged shots. So I started charging E&I and immediately rolled before I fired it. The result? E&I still fired for some reason after the roll, which was weird.
So afterwards, I inputted a second attack to see what would happened, using Prop Shredder right after the roll since it's a long lasting move. The charged shot was completely cancelled and E&I started charging by themselves, even though I wasn't holding down the gun button. They never fired until I pressed the gun button down.

I honestly have no idea why this works. I can only assume that it works because of the buffer window for the after the first attack (which causes the charged shot to happen after the first attack rather before it). Then the second attack possibly "locks" the charging in place. I'm only guessing here.

This can be beneficial if you don't want to hold down the gun button, but that's about it.

5th Glitch: Unused weapons.

This branched off from the 4th glitch, when I accidentally inputted the commands for it wrong.

The weapons that Dante uses are just located on his back while he swings around with nothing in his hands. This works for all weapons (cept for guns).

And of course the last finding was just two horribly positioned attacks showing off the ridiculous hitbox range.

LeoXCV

Single life for life
1st Glitch: Cancelled Prop Shredder.
Did you try this in front of an enemy at any point? I did a glitch where if you time an Angel Pull or Rake (Can't remember, I did it pretty early on) right before you land on the ground then do prop it cancelled the animation, but to my delight there was an enemy in front of me and it still got hit by the entire prop attack. Might be the same kinda thing going on with how you did it.

ChaserTech

Did you try this in front of an enemy at any point? I did a glitch where if you time an Angel Pull or Rake (Can't remember, I did it pretty early on) right before you land on the ground then do prop it cancelled the animation, but to my delight there was an enemy in front of me and it still got hit by the entire prop attack. Might be the same kinda thing going on with how you did it.

I'll test it out at one point. And no I haven't tried it in front of an enemy, I was just doing this randomly after I killed off a wave of enemies.

EricDaNerd

My only real gripe about this demo is that the difficulty isn't as high as I was expecting. Son of Sparda feels like it should be the normal. I know this is only a demo but I really hope someone is paying attention to that for the final release.

EricDaNerd

Really like seeing the names of all the actions that are making up my combos on the screen. Glad they have stuff like "wrong team" for when enemies kill each other or "great bounce" when you bang enemies back up while they are falling down. Cool stuff.

EricDaNerd

Yeah, the spirit of taunting is still there, but the mechanic isn't. That's actually one of the only things that I'm sad they took out.

I understand taking it away for narrative reasons, but if he already says things during battle, it would have been nice if they just crafted his taunts to be narrative specific - I can think of several ways it could have been done, and it would still let the player get magic and Style boosts.

Oh well, it's a minor thing though, especially with how powerful DT is now, being able to taunt and gain back so much magic would have been a little broken :p

This too makes me sad. So has it been confirmed that taunts won't be in the final version?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
No taunts - they were removed to keep the narrative flow intact, as the narrative was a large reason for the game's creation in the first place.

Dante94513

I have the PS3 demo and besides the noticeable frame drops (mostly in in-game cutscenes), I haven't at all recall any major glitches except after DT, Dante still had his white hair and red vain face (with his regular colored clothes), it'll vanish after you fall from a platform and die. I repeated an area EVERY TIME and I hardly find the game breaking. Oh, and I'm planning on making an impression on the demo. I will say this: It's a lot more fun than the DMC4 and Bayonetta demos.

Zilla

The inFAAMous
^ Nope. That's the confirmed reason. Tam said that a taunt button would conflict with the narrative. Which makes sense as You would hardly want a "Woo, yeah, let's party!" literally seconds after a serious cutscene.

8BitHero

Scrub
I've come across the flying Dante glitch but everything else Chaser said I took as gameplay mechanics. Awkward buffering times are what you need to learn. The cancelling of Angel Prop again, another mechanic.

Top Bottom