• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Official Demo Thread

ChaserTech

So I'm not going crazy :D Really hope they fix whatever is causing it. I like using it but I know if it's like this on release I'll end up not using it as often as I would like.

I personally think that there are a bunch of problems with inputting controls. And I know a lot of people say that DmC "feels" like a regular DMC game. But I don't think so at all.

The control layout doesn't bother me though. It's just the buffering. There are times when the buffer window is too small and then it increases whenever I do a different move. I could be wrong on this though. I mainly feel this way because I play DMC4 constantly with Nero most of the time. (I still try to work on my Dante though -_-)

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Well, it's all about learning the moves. Some moves have greater buffer windows, while some don't have any at all. It's different, but the spirit is there.

Personally, I kinda like that it's that similar system, but with new controls that I can sorta learn all over again. I do feel they're less restrictive in certain ways.

ChaserTech

Well, it's all about learning the moves. Some moves have greater buffer windows, while some don't have any at all. It's different, but the spirit is there.

Personally, I kinda like that it's that similar system, but with new controls that I can sorta learn all over again. I do feel they're less restrictive in certain ways.

Yeah the buffer window can be waaay less restrictive compared to the other games. I like it yet I hate it at the same time.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
I thought you had to fire at least one shot before you could charge your weapon, like the way Dante was in DMC4 and unlike Nero.

ChaserTech

I thought you had to fire at least one shot before you could charge your weapon, like the way Dante was in DMC4 and unlike Nero.

Nah, you could charge ebony and ivory in the middle of a combo string and then fire away when you're done charging.

8BitHero

Scrub
Nah, you could charge ebony and ivory in the middle of a combo string and then fire away when you're done charging.
As you said earlier though, the buffer window is small. It's pretty awkward to get used to, but that's the point of learning these games. Another good example is

Angel mode: Attack > Attack >Default mode > Rebellion launch. That window is hard to get consistently without mashing(but if you mash then you don't jump with the enemy). The guns took time for me to learn the buffer charge time...

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
And can we really call these glitches an entirely bad thing? Jump Canceling wasn't something you were supposed to be able to do, and was a glitch because of Enemy Step's exploitable mechanic. It's no different than how combo mechanics in fighting games evolved from a glitch that let you do them in one of the early Street Fighters.

Instead of looking at them so negatively, maybe try thinking about how you can work them into a playstyle.

8BitHero

Scrub
And can we really call these glitches an entirely bad thing? Jump Canceling wasn't something you were supposed to be able to do, and was a glitch because of Enemy Step's exploitable mechanic. It's no different than how combo mechanics in fighting games evolved from a glitch that let you do them in one of the early Street Fighters.

Instead of looking at them so negatively, maybe try thinking about how you can work them into a playstyle.
Indeed not. I don't consider them glitches just the process of learning. I also relate to when I play fighting games. If I do that small combo mentioned (on hit) and how far I am into the animation, the buffer timing is different. There are a few variables to take into account. Like in SF you weren't even supposed to be able to combo and now that's part of the skill in SF.

LeoXCV

Single life for life
Need I remind that those glitches were unnoticeable to an average or even somewhat skilled player, and were usually discovered by people that actually hunted them down. When A glitch/bug/weird buffer time what ever you want to call it is in such a basic mechanic (Such as Ricoshot quick switching inputs not registering) and is so obvious many players will find it restrictive, that's just outright bad development and has no excuse in my opinion.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Dude...Chaser went on the hunt for those glitches. I can't even do them myself, so I wouldn't say they are something of a basic mechanic.

And buffering is something that's been done for years now. It's become part of natural gameplay mechanics, why shouldn't it be accessible to everyone?

ChaserTech

And can we really call these glitches an entirely bad thing? Jump Canceling wasn't something you were supposed to be able to do, and was a glitch because of Enemy Step's exploitable mechanic.

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure if Jump Canceling was really a glitch. In DMC3, an unlockable video was shown after you beat Easy mode. The video also included Jump Canceling as well [around at 0:25 - 0:36 and 0:53]. It's hard to say if it's a glitch or not since people obviously knew about it.

Depending on how the glitch affects gameplay, sure. Only one glitch I found that proved to be useful and that was the automatic E&I charging glitch. Everything else that I found doesn't really change any gameplay.
I do see where you're coming from though. We shouldn't dismiss anything that could possibly broaden how the game works. But if it doesn't help us or change any mechanic within the game, then I think it's just a complete fault.

AngelMode

JC in DMC3 was most likely done on purpose and it was no glitch. Hell, I remember being able to do enemy step back in DMC1. Either way, it was obviously no glitch in DMC4, the developers knew more than well how JC worked and actually underhandedly (unknown to the casual players) made it fit into the combat quite nicely.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
Honestly, I'm not entirely sure if Jump Canceling was really a glitch. In DMC3, an unlockable video was shown after you beat Easy mode. The video also included Jump Canceling as well [around at 0:25 - 0:36 and 0:53]. It's hard to say if it's a glitch or not since people obviously knew about it.

That video was actually released with the special addition and not with Dante's Awakening

JC in DMC3 was most likely done on purpose and it was no glitch. Hell, I remember being able to do enemy step back in DMC1. Either way, it was obviously no glitch in DMC4, the developers knew more than well how JC worked and actually underhandedly (unknown to the casual players) made it fit into the combat quite nicely.

I still think JCing was just an exploit of the enemy step and thats all. Gamers can do amazing things in games and in DMC4 it was just took into consideration. I mean, there was no publicity about JCing in DMC4 at all. Def- not like DmC was

AngelMode

I still think JCing was just an exploit of the enemy step and thats all. Gamers can do amazing things in games and in DMC4 it was just took into consideration. I mean, there was no publicity about JCing in DMC4 at all. Def- not like DmC was

Nah, I remember people playing old DMC4 demos and they were JC'ing in them, before the game was ever released. DmC does explicitly show you that you can do it though, I agree. Like in the loading screen in DMD mode, Dante does a combo and he does a helm breaker JC.

It sort of encourages JC'ing more, which is kinda dumb if you ask me 'cus for one, Drop JC doesn't work, and two, it isn't as necessary to do as past DMCs to stay airborne.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
Nah, I remember people playing old DMC4 demos and they were JC'ing in them, before the game was ever released. DmC does explicitly show you that you can do it though, I agree. Like in the loading screen in DMD mode, Dante does a combo and he does a helm breaker JC.
Oh, hehe, i can't remember anything about dmc4, prior to release, because um....well..... i was locked up... so...
But anyways, Now a days every game is under a microscope, but still a lot of people miss out of much of the detail before the game is officially released. U have to be a fan of the series or be really into games to actually find videos about it. You can search youtube right now for DmC gameplay and you'll only get either capcom/ign/gamestop playthroughs, thats unless you are me, or you are angelmode and you sit and wait for each live stream.

...what am i talking about again.. =/

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Just because it can be done in the DMC4 demo doesn't mean anything. It's an exploitable glitch that they decided to leave in, or couldn't get rid of without completely screwing up the regular gameplay.

Think about it, how would you get rid of Jump Canceling without removing Enemy Step and Air Hike altogether, or without creating animations that could not have other inputs done into them, which removes buffering abilities.

I really don't see how they accommodated for Jump Canceling in DMC4 either, it works no differently than it used to :/

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
Just because it can be done in the DMC4 demo doesn't mean anything. It's an exploitable glitch that they decided to leave in, or couldn't get rid of without completely screwing up the regular gameplay.

Think about it, how would you get rid of Jump Canceling without removing Enemy Step and Air Hike altogether, or without creating animations that could not have other inputs done into them, which removes buffering abilities.

I really don't see how they accommodated for Jump Canceling in DMC4 either, it works no differently than it used to :/
LOL, i hated how under developed Dante was in DMC4...from gameplay to character, so much rehashing made me ****ed

ChaserTech

LOL, i hated how under developed Dante was in DMC4...from gameplay to character, so much rehashing made me ****ed

Character-wise, along with playing "Dante's" side of the story, he was pretty bland. But if you are talking about in terms of gameplay mechanics, he had a lot going for him. Of course, they basically gave him almost all of his DMC3 stuff accompanied by different weapons. But he had a lot of depth when it comes to actual combat making him kinda versatile.

But sadly, it was still Nero's game. Dante just saved him halfway in the game and made him do all the work.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I'm downloading the demo as we speak. Can someone who's played it give me a rundown of what it's got in store?

Top Bottom