• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Official Demo Thread

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I'm sorry, but I just sorta feel that complaining about not having a hard lock to direct attacks against the mode-aligned Knights is silly. Especially coming from people who play such difficult games, or games on such a hard difficulty.

It's a challenge! And unlike DMC3 and 4 where most enemies just stood there waiting to get attacked, there's actual strategy in finding a way to segregate them, picking one off without getting your weapon caught on the other. It's the same thing with the Rage, where you have to kill them both within a short span of time, or end up fighting an enraged (hurrrr!) one that's even more troubling. Same thing with the normal Death Knights, or the Shielded Pathos - find a way past their shield.

Has DMC's meta devolved so much that we expect all the enemies to just be sandbags? Some of them are, but some require a bit more to them than just busting out combos on them. It spices things up! Like how Angelos, Blitzes, Dullahans, Arachne, Blood-Goyles, Enigmas, Soul Eaters, Wraths, and the Fallen did. The Hell and Frost Knights can come paired together to form their own challenge.

ReverseSuperman

I can take or leave the lock on, it doesn't bother me. I completely understand why some people would like it though.

The controls don't really come across as "clunky" to me either. Just very, very different than the previous installments. I admit it took me a few minutes to get used to the change, but once you get the hang of it the combat becomes smooth as hell.

Dominus

I'm sorry, but I just sorta feel that complaining about not having a hard lock to direct attacks against the mode-aligned Knights is silly. Especially coming from people who play such difficult games, or games on such a hard difficulty.

It's a challenge!
Its actually pretty basic, use one weapon to kill this enemy and use another weapon to kill this enemy. Then if they are right next to each other and you lock onto the ice guy while using the arbiter than that's really the soft-lock design thats messing with you and not your own skill. The point I was making is if I had a hard lock-on this "artificial" difficulty of not being able to lock-onto the right enemy wouldn't exist (because I can choose what enemy to target) It was like this in God Hand too and in some situations I would rage about the game locking onto the wrong enemy when there's a bunch close in.

Tosto

The Dark Brawler
Ill just copy past what I said on capcom cu one note though. ahem WHOEVER SAID SOS MODE WAS EASY SCREW YOU :3 that is all.

Welp after 2 years of waiting im glad to say that this demo did not dissapoint. It was far better than MGRs demo. At any rate not ot turn this into a veruses debate but DmC was damn fun. My fingers had to get used to the controlls but after that I had a blast but sadly because I nevered played this I didnt get S the first time lol oh well im just going to keep practicing. Also its a bit difficult staying in the air for me agian cause of the controlls but im sure ill get the hang of it.

GJ capcom/NT ill write feed back on the minor issues Ive had with the demo. Simply because PS3 doesnt always have the best preformance with other multiplatform games. Dunno why though out well.

overall so far 8.5/10 Loved it cant wait to play the full version

You'll get the hang of the air combat soon enough. You use the angel lift after each combo set you perform so even if you were falling, you'll use the enemy to pull you back up. Especially if its a flying enemy. Can't wait for Jan 15th!!!

ReverseSuperman

You'll get the hang of the air combat soon enough. You use the angel lift after each combo set you perform so even if you were falling, you'll use the enemy to pull you back up. Especially if its a flying enemy. Can't wait for Jan 15th!!!

I am loving the angel lift! The hang time you get gives me memories of Kingdom Hearts.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Its actually pretty basic, use one weapon to kill this enemy and use another weapon to kill this enemy. Then if they are right next to each other and you lock onto the ice guy while using the arbiter than that's really the soft-lock design thats messing with you and not your own skill. The point I was making is if I had a hard lock-on this "artificial" difficulty of not being able to lock-onto the right enemy wouldn't exist (because I can choose what enemy to target) It was like this in God Hand too and in some situations I would rage about the game locking onto the wrong enemy when there's a bunch close in.

I haven't had any trouble differentiating targets, but if they're close enough that your weapon is aiming at or catching the wrong guy, then you're doing it wrong, and that's your own fault :/

How hard is it to adapt to their positioning, really? "Oops, they're bunched together - different strategy needed going in." Some form of "artificial difficulty" they have doesn't rest solely on the lack of a Hard Lock, it rests on your inability to adapt to the combat that requires you to learn the different controls altogether, and the combat that was formed using those controls. You're going at this with the mindset that your DMC combat expertise perfectly translates here, but it doesn't, we've got to adapt that knowledge to this game's systems. Adapting takes practice, however less or more. I mean, were you a god at God Hand your first time? No, you worked at it.

God Hand is a good example of when a lock would be nice, but so many people haven't had problems with DmC's Knights, that a hard lock doesn't seem to be all that imperative. I have yet to come across a time in the demo that I was like "Man, I really wish I had a lock-on right about now."

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It's when you do a short hop and immediately Air Dash as soon as you leave the ground. This combines both the initial invincibility frames of the jump and those of the Air Dash.

That I'm not sure of. You can definitely jump and immediately go into the Angel Boost, but...I'm not sure if Angel Boost has invincibility frames, nor if the jump does >.<

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
Confirming that the PS3 bild has framerate dips. Not bad enough to mess with gameplay so far, but definitely noticeable. Here's to hoping Capcom and NT fix the hell out of those.

chocolatepanda

Its actually pretty basic, use one weapon to kill this enemy and use another weapon to kill this enemy. Then if they are right next to each other and you lock onto the ice guy while using the arbiter than that's really the soft-lock design thats messing with you and not your own skill. The point I was making is if I had a hard lock-on this "artificial" difficulty of not being able to lock-onto the right enemy wouldn't exist (because I can choose what enemy to target) It was like this in God Hand too and in some situations I would rage about the game locking onto the wrong enemy when there's a bunch close in.​
To be fair in the full game you'll have two weapons to deal with them but i do agree that they should just take less damage or something instead of just blocking me altogether. They could make it so they can't be stagger or launched unless the correct weapon type is used to encourage u to use them to get combos going with the correct weapon instead. Or just make the human stance good on everything but make it so angel weapons cant damage the fire demons and vice versa.

Dominus

I haven't had any trouble differentiating targets, but if they're close enough that your weapon is aiming at or catching the wrong guy, then you're doing it wrong, and that's your own fault :/

God Hand is a good example of when a lock would be nice, but so many people haven't had problems with DmC's Knights, that a hard lock doesn't seem to be all that imperative. I have yet to come across a time in the demo that I was like "Man, I really wish I had a lock-on right about now."
I've read numerous complaints about the lack of lock-on when dealing with these enemy types from seasoned vets not because of the difficulty of beating these enemies, but because the inconvenience of the soft-lockon.
at God Hand your first time? No, you worked at it.
You seem to be missing the point, even in cases where you can master the system (like god hand) to have to work around an artificial restriction in the mechanics of the game that could easily be fixed (be able to pick the targets you lock-on to), is kind of dumb. Especially when the DMC series has always had this mechanic. I think MGR handled this well by allowing you to pick targets to lock-onto without having the hard lock-on like DMC. DmC could have implemented this somehow but yah it didn't..

crush

honestly? the poison boss kicked my ass many times on sos

I agree, you can't jump dodge her fist slamming attacks. (I always thought it was strange you could do such things in the previous series!)
She is very weak to drive after her arm attacks. Try it to do your drive nearer as possible so you can use your angel/demon weapons as quick as possible.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I've read numerous complaints about the lack of lock-on when dealing with these enemy types from seasoned vets not because of the difficulty of beating these enemies, but because the inconvenience of the soft-lockon.

You seem to be missing the point, even in cases where you can master the system (like god hand) to have to work around an artificial restriction in the mechanics of the game that could easily be fixed (be able to pick the targets you lock-on to), is kind of dumb. Especially when the DMC series has always had this mechanic. I think MGR handled this well by allowing you to pick targets to lock-onto without having the hard lock-on like DMC. DmC could have implemented this somehow but yah it didn't..

Well then those people are all a bunch of babies, because I'm also "seasoned vet" so-to-speak, and I handle them just fine. Maybe it's because I also instinctively tilt the Left stick at stuff I wanna hit, which overrides the subtle lock, but either way, I have no trouble fighting them. I adapted, I found a way around it, I made the mechanic work for me. It's sounds douchey, but it's true. You can either continue to b*tch about how the game doesn't have this or that, or you can get over it and learn how to make the system work for you.

Or you can drop the game entirely, but you'll have to feel content knowing that you let the game beat you, and you're blaming the lack of an unnecessary mechanism for your own inability to adapt :/

And DMC "always had this mechanic," because they couldn't figure out a way to get rid of it until now, and it was just an old mechanic leftover from Resident Evil.

I really don't mean to sound like a jerk, but seriously, you're totally nit-picking the sh*t out of this.

Dominus

Well then those people are all a bunch of babies, because I'm also "seasoned vet" so-to-speak, and I handle them just fine. Maybe it's because I also instinctively tilt the Left stick at stuff I wanna hit, which overrides the subtle lock, but either way, I have no trouble fighting them. I adapted, I found a way around it, I made the mechanic work for me. It's sounds douchey, but it's true. You can either continue to b*tch about how the game doesn't have this or that, or you can get over it and learn how to make the system work for you.

Or you can drop the game entirely, but you'll have to feel content knowing that you let the game beat you, and you're blaming the lack of an unnecessary mechanism for your own inability to adapt :/

And DMC "always had this mechanic," because they couldn't figure out a way to get rid of it until now, and it was just an old mechanic leftover from Resident Evil.

I really don't mean to sound like a jerk, but seriously, you're totally nit-picking the sh*t out of this.
Ok why does he state about them wanting to remove it from DMC3, but then they didn't remove it from DMC4, that doesn't make any sense. Plus the guy in the interview I don't see that he worked on DMC at all in his biography (unless I'm missing something) so I don't know how he speaks for Itsuno (DMC3 director and DMC4) and the DMC3/4 team. They say "other development staff" but I don't know who that is referring too.. I'd rather hear it from the director himself. Plus Bayonetta has hard lock-on as well and that worked great in that game when you needed it.

Also you're getting mad because I'm nitpicking a game? I nitpicked the "****" out of a lots of games, even ones that I "trust" the developer making the game, like MGR. You can look at the MGR vs DmC thread to see my criticisms of that game. I prefer to read the neogaf threads on the reboot/rebirth because they discuss what they find right and wrong with this game. There is nothing wrong with criticism, I see it in a lot of other places, heck I see it on the Ninja Theory forums!

But honestly can you tell me if you had the option to pick a labeled target, whether hard lock-on or not you wouldn't take it in this game? The only choice besides camera you can make with lock-on is by tapping down the left joy-stick to pick what targets you want to shoot (while shooting). I heard you may be able to pick aerial targets but I'm not sure on that.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
Okay me and my friend Suzaku were playing the game and he pulled off one of the coolest moves I've seen yet. He charged the Richoshot and then launched an enemy then when he shot Ricoshot it bounced between three enemies and the shot juggled the enemy in the air! Try it! It's called Juggle Shot! :)

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Ok why does he state about them wanting to remove it from DMC3, but then they didn't remove it from DMC4, that doesn't make any sense. Plus the guy in the interview I don't see that he worked on DMC at all in his biography (unless I'm missing something) so I don't know how he speaks for Itsuno (DMC3 director and DMC4) and the DMC3/4 team. They say "other staff" but I don't know who that is referring too.. I'd rather hear it from the director himself. Plus Bayonetta has hard lock-on as well and that worked great in that game when you needed it.

It's says right there in the article; they didn't because they couldn't figure out how to rework the control scheme. Then along comes the idea for an occidental-designed aside, the perfect chance to tinker with DMC's controls. Eshiro is Capcom Japan's producer, I guess. That's a dude inside Capcom, take it for what it's worth, I suppose. Just because a game has a hard lock, doesn't mean it needs one, especially when the game is built around not having one.

Also you're getting mad because I'm nitpicking a game? I nitpicked the "****" out of a lots of games, even ones that I "trust" the developer making the game, like MGR. You can look at the MGR vs DmC thread to see my criticisms of that game. I prefer to read the neogaf threads on the reboot/rebirth because they discuss what they find right and wrong with this game. There is nothing wrong with criticism and I'm surprised a lot of seasoned vets here aren't nitpicking the game more. I see it in a lot of other places, heck I see it on the Ninja Theory forums!

But honestly can you tell me if you had the option to pick a labeled target, whether hard lock-on or not you wouldn't take it in this game? The only choice besides camera you can make with lock-on is by tapping down the left joy-stick to pick what targets you want to shoot (while shooting). I heard you may be able to pick aerial targets but I'm not sure on that.

I'd take it if it's there (I'd probably forget it was even there, like I have with MGR's), but I don't need one, I've been playing juuuuust fine without it. I've been keeping track of enemies juuuust fine on my own, and I don't need to depend on some fancy Hard Lock to do so. I'm able to keep track of who I'm aiming at because I'm the one pointing the stick towards them. Seriously, I don't see what the big deal is about this subtle lock stuff when it's so easily overridden by player input. And yes, I've been able to pick out any of my targets. I dunno what everyone else is doing, but...everything works pretty well on my end.

Do I have to go into why nitpicking isn't a necessarily a good thing, again? Keep looking for mistakes in everything, sooner or later even the most benign of things is gonna get blown out of proportion, and you'll end up missing elements to enjoy. And it's not like I don't have my own handful of complaints about the game, I just don't let them completely sh*t on the experience I'm having. If I was overly-critical and cynical of everything like everyone else seems to be these days, then I'd have no creative stimulation, never would have become a writer, and I'd be working some stupid cubicle job where I inevitably strangle myself with the silk tie I wear every Tuesday just to escape the drab and uninteresting world I suffer through :/

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Only got to play the demo through once so far, but I loved it. It was more fun than I expected it to be, actually. :blush: I would have played it more, but the demo kept freezing on me. I had to restart three times just to be able to play though once. :/ That kinda ticked me off, especially when I realized the reason it was crashing was the tutorial. I also don't like that there's no lock on. While it makes combat fun to not be stuck on one enemy, it also is driving me nuts when I'm trying to target just one enemy and I keep attacking others. :ermm:

I have to say, though, I love Poison's potty mouth. That was epic. I think mum and I about died laughing. :lol:

Top Bottom