• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC: Forgiving Gameplay

AngelMode

lol I dunno about not using the analog stick... how the hell will you ever move to where you have to go? But using items DOES make the game incredibly easy.

But here's the thing. How exactly do you get items? You buy them with red orbs (small amount of it you get from the environment). So how do you get red orbs? Beating demons and breaking things in the environment only give you a small portion, most of it you get by beating the mission with high rankings/stylishly killing bosses... things like that. So right there the game is pushing you to get better results in order to get the more orbs in order to get the items that you need in order to make the game easy, but guess what? You are already getting better at it without you realizing it.

You can also be my guest and make it into a red orbs farming fest... but that might take you a crap ton of hours to do, for a game in which you can try to use said hours to get better at it instead.

And using items is not rewarding at all... you can spam the crap out of them but your final rank will be like B at best. There is no way getting S in everything but using a lot of items will get you an S. No way. Especially when you get hit so much your style goes down... which will in turn make you get a lower rating on style. Using holy water makes it even worse.

Nessy

lol I dunno about not using the analog stick... how the hell will you ever move to where you have to go? But using items DOES make the game incredibly easy.

But here's the thing. How exactly do you get items? You buy them with red orbs (small amount of it you get from the environment). So how do you get red orbs? Beating demons and breaking things in the environment only give you a small portion, most of it you get by beating the mission with high rankings/stylishly killing bosses... things like that. So right there the game is pushing you to get better results in order to get the more orbs in order to get the items that you need in order to make the game easy, but guess what? You are already getting better at it without you realizing it.

You can also be my guest and make it into a red orbs farming fest... but that might take you a crap ton of hours to do, for a game in which you can try to use said hours to get better at it instead.

And using items is not rewarding at all... you can spam the crap out of them but your final rank will be like B at best. There is no way getting S in everything but using a lot of items will get you an S. No way. Especially, when you get hit so much your style goes down... which will in turn make you get a lower rating on style. Using holy water makes it even worse.

Did you not check my screenshot earlier in this thread where I used items, gold orb and continue and still succeeded in getting an S?

Also, I will download sony vegas and fraps and show you that anything is easy with items (including not moving).

AngelMode

I saw that, I also saw that it could be photoshoped. I don't mean to deny it but I highly doubt it. I've played that mission before and getting two A's and one S will give me an A overall, without me using a single continue or items. So I dunno how that could have happened.

Nessy

I saw that, I also saw that it could be photoshoped. I don't mean to deny it but I highly doubt it. I've played that mission before and getting two A's and one S will give me an A overall, without me using a single continue or items. So I dunno how that could have happened.

I'm really good at games though.

AngelMode

I'm really good at games though.

Well, even if it was true. I mean, getting all those items can be a workload of time that you could have spent getting better at the game. My point still stands... so it is a choice if the player wants to make the game super-easy and spend countless hours farming items or actually implement time on getting better, getting the items they need along the way, and beating the game with high scores.

Nessy

The game should give you -1 to your rank everytime you use an item. Gold orbs and continues should not be allowed at all

AngelMode

Or make the game like in DMC1 and use Yellow orbs... which are your continues. While there is no "continue" and instead "retry" so you have to start the mission all over again.

Nessy

That still makes the game far too easy.

Going to record myself using items to kill bosses without using the left analog stick

AngelMode

That still makes the game far too easy.

Going to record myself using items to kill bosses without using the left analog stick

Err... so... what? You die and you have to start the mission or the game from the beginning? That might be too Dark Souls... lol

Note that they are making DmC to be newcomer friendly as well. Making such hardcore stuff will instantly turn off the casual gamers that just want to have a fun time with the game for a few hours and not spend days on it. Some of the points of DMC is to figure out ways on how to make the game harder for yourself... for example, as you say beating a boss without using the left stick. Or some of the ones I find quite fun are beating the boss without touching the ground and getting hit.

So the game doesn't HAVE to be hard... you can make it hard on yourself and then say "look what I just did."

Nessy

Err... so... what? You die and you have to start the mission or the game from the beginning? That might be too Dark Souls... lol

Note that they are making DmC to be newcomer friendly as well. Making such hardcore stuff will instantly turn off the casual gamers that just want to have a fun time with the game for a few hours and not spend days on it. Some of the points of DMC is to figure out ways on how to make the game harder for yourself... for example, as you say beating a boss without using the left stick. Or some of the ones I find quite fun are beating the boss without touching the ground and getting hit.

So the game doesn't HAVE to be hard... you can make it hard on yourself and then say "look what I just did."

Have that easy stuff on the easier difficulties then...even DMD is a cake walk with the items. It is probably possible (with the use of items) to do all the bosses with your eyes closed.

Razyel

Soul Reaver
watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

Vezild

Taking Back Lordran One Boss At a Time
Indeed, I'm bad at hack'n'slash games... but, I still beat DMC1, and DMC3 dozens and dozens of times. I'm not exaggerating either when I say "dozens and dozens". I've been playing DMC ever since DMC3 came out.
DMC1 was forgiving, and I loved it. I had fun, even on DMD. DMC3, is unforgiving, and I get annoyed by in even on easy.
Making the game forgiving makes the game fun for me. The thing is, forgiving gameplay makes me have fun with the normal characters. In DMC3's case, I was only able to have fun with Super Characters. Which is so ironic it's not even funny.
To unlock the Super Character in DMC3, I need to beat it on Very Hard or DMD. So, really... in order to have fun with the game, I need to spend hours and hours getting ****ed off.

DMC1 didn't have this problem (even with normal dante I had fun as the game was well designed). It gave me the items I needed to beat the game on DMD. An unlimited source of items. All I had to do was beat it several times (in other words, I had to put a lot of time into the game), in order to unlock the character. You could argue that infinite items isn't fair, but it is. The game just has to be designed right. Have 3-5 items per playthrough (such as Gold Orbs or Untouchables), and only have them respawn upon beating the game. This way players can't just reply one level over and over again. Additionally, they could require the player to beat 90% of the levels for the items to respawn to prevent a player from playing a level, then going directly to the last boss and repeating the process.

I guess the best solution is just to allow players to use Super Costumes from day 1... which, won't ever happen. I've always said that trophies/achievements ruin great games, and DMC3 is an example.
I spent hours and hours in DMC 3 just understanding how to make a combo xD That's the game I got in with by the way. I guess it's just a matter of opinion huh? I hate Super Costumes. I feel they just take away the difficulty, which is something that I crave for in a game--the challenge. I never felt the game was unfair or unforgiving; the levels aren't that long, checkpoints are pretty fair, and items are pretty cheap on the store. Then again, I am very good at hack n' slash games, so that could be what makes us different.

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
Regardless of whether that image was photoshopped I can vouch for being able to get a S in DMC4 with the use of items etc and it HAS to be on DMD difficulty else you don't get enough points elsewhere.

The ranking system in 4 takes your style points as a base number and uses other factors in determining the rank, it's feasibly possible to get a D in everything, Items used, Gold Orbs used, Continues and another bonus that makes the game easier if you have to continue loads(I bet not many people knew that existed in the game) as long as you get enough style points to make up for the lack of multipliers, you'd just have to spend hours grinding areas you can get style from (Bustering the Saviors hand against Sanctus for example).

Also no one can talk about DMC4 being too easy until you've completed it on GMD + LDK difficulty, then we'll see if you still don't want to use items :p

Nessy

Awesome, we'll be waiting for your playthrough then, don't worry about items or ND, just doing it will be fine. If you need a link to the mod it's here, http://s1.zetaboards.com/InfernalWorks/forum/1657528/

As it's so easy I expect your playthrough to be up at some point soon, or at the very least mission 2 today.

As you know I defeated Gary Kasparov in a game of chess use only a knight, a bishop and a row of pawns. This would be a cakewalk to me.

Top Bottom