• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC: Forgiving Gameplay

DarkSlayer54

".. incentivise people who might of played it more casually to now maybe play it more hardcore"#mce_temp_url#

This bugged me. This won't make anyone want to play it more 'hardcore'. What I realized after the DMC HD collection was that forgiving gameplay is what will make players like me want to play it hardcore.

What I mean by forgiving gameplay is, lots of items. Take DMC1 for example. Now, that game had forgiving gameplay. I beat the game seven times, and I got all the trophies for it. Hell, even after I got all the trophies I beat it two more times... this isn't even counting all the times I beat it on the PS2 (I believe I beat it a dozen or two dozen times on PS2).
The game was fun, and there was never an enemy that felt cheap or too strong. Even on DMD I was able to kill any non-boss monster within 5 seconds simply because they were all well designed and each monster had a specific weakness that I could exploit. No matter how hard it got, I knew there was something to be done differently which would push me past the level.
The Untouchables in that game were amazing too. Without them I would have never beat it on DMD, or tried to. 5 untouchables per playthrough was a perfect number, and it made DMD actually possible to beat. Not to mention all the holy waters.

Then... I got to DMC3:SE. I use to beat that game all the time on the PS2 (over a dozen times). I loved it. However, that was when you could save after using the cheats. Now, without that feature, the game is ruined. I beat it on easy, and I STILL got stressed out. Sure, the game truly is easy on easy... but the game itself is designed to slap the player in the face around every corner. There's barely any Gold Orbs, no untouchables, and the enemies are annoyingly designed. What I mean by this, is that they don't have any weakness that will make stressing levels a breeze.

For DmC, I would like to see a design similar to DMC1. Well thought out enemies, lots of items, and straight forward levels with no repetition. I guess if your bent on not allowing players to repeat a level for infinite gold orbs, just make it so that they'll only respawn upon beating the game.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
DMC1 was just supirior to DMC3 to me. DMC1 was the beginning of something great and it was something out of a movie made by the best action movie director in the world. The enimies were dangerous, the weapons were badass, and the feel of it all was great. If I could, I would love to play that game one day. It's the only DMC I never got to play. From what I've seen I'd rather play DMC1 then DMC3.

DMC3 was where I thought CAPCOM changed DMC. Dante was more attitute and big talk, the enimies looked like something out of an anime, and the story felt like a fanficiton version of Inuyasha. Gameplay was one of the main things that made it good. I used to like DMC3 very much, but I then saw DMC1 and saw it was more...darker and compelling to see.

Hopefully DmC takes enemies from DMC2 into account since those demons IMO looked the most evil and scary.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
The hardest DMC for me is at least the original.In DMC 3,the trickster style makes it more easy although i won't doubt it's difficulty because it kicked my ass many times during my first playthrough.I don't really see DMC 3 so hard unlike the original one because i feel more freedom in DMC 3 compare to DMC.Mainly because the weapons gives more freedom compare to DMC and the more refined combat.While in DMC,the weapons is so repetitive and the lack of freedom to use them makes it more hard for me to chain combos.Well it's probably my fault since i have played DMC 3 first and it's silly of me to think that a much older game would be better.

Edit: This guy won't probably survive in dark souls and would just dropped the game.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Bottom line:
DmC's combat(More like DMC 3)
Atmosphere and the feel(More like DMC 1)
Enemies(More like DMC 2)

DarkSlayer54

Well it's probably my fault since i have played DMC 3 first and it's silly of me to think that a much older game would be better.

Edit: This guy won't probably survive in dark souls and would just dropped the game.
You're right about Dark Souls. I never played it, but I'm sure I would drop it if I had to play fairly.
DMC3 is also the first DMC I played, but when I played DMC1... I liked it way more. Funny thing is, I played the DmC series in chronological order. I first beat DMC3, then I beat DMC1, then I beat DMC4 (hated it), and the last DMC I beat was DMC2 (liked it more than DMC4).

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
i enjoyed DMC3 more than any of the others (it was the first game i played on DMC) but i may be a little biased. i never needed to cheats to finish the game but again ive yet to aquire the HD collection. i think itd be best if DmC had a better difficulty levels with no difficulty spikes but a gradual increase in enemy strength.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
You're right about Dark Souls. I never played it, but I'm sure I would drop it if I had to play fairly.
DMC3 is also the first DMC I played, but when I played DMC1... I liked it way more. Funny thing is, I played the DmC series in chronological order. I first beat DMC3, then I beat DMC1, then I beat DMC4 (hated it), and the last DMC I beat was DMC2 (liked it more than DMC4).

I love DMC 3 the most.I played it religiously like not any other before.I like DMC 1 because it's still an amazing ps2 game even for a 2001 year old game(Like it more than GoW),then i waited a year and DMC 4 was released and played it(The OST,Graphics and the gameplay is good but hated the rest)

As for DMC 2......Never gonna play it,Never will,Never say never.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I have a feeling DmC will be easier than any of the original Western releases of DMC 1 through 4 were. If they really are trying to appeal to a wider market they won't make the 'normal' difficulty that hard. Apparently - although I never stopped playing any of the previous DMC titles because they were 'too hard' - a lot of people are put off by former DMC titles' initial difficulty. DMC is one of those types of games series that get easier as you progress through the game in a sense, you always start off with a small health bar, and when you play DMC1 or 3 the first time the first 20% of the game is probably the hardest because of it... a few hits even from minor enemies and you are toast early on.

DMC is supposed to have always been a 'difficult' series. (Again, I never had any problem with it, although other series like Ninja Gaiden do annoy me a bit... but if I were a massive fan of NG I would be annoyed if they dumbed down the difficulty in future titles to appeal to a wider market). But games in general are getting 'easier', and gamers more impatient if they get stuck on something.

HailTheKing

Battousai The Manslayer
i think GTA is an exception. with DMC the point is that you go through enemies with style. in GTA youre primary mission is to be a ******** to everything and everyone

Yeah, I knew this guy once who played every single with cheats activated! He even completed the whole DMC3 with Infintie Devil Trigger activated in PC, he literally thought he was a GOD!!! So, once we were playing DMC3 in one of my friend's house and there I knew how bad he was, he couldn't even finish the first chapter! So, I gave him nice advice that he should stick to GTA :)

Razyel

Soul Reaver
Bottom line:
DmC's combat(More like DMC 3)
Atmosphere and the feel(More like DMC 1)
Enemies(More like DMC 2)

Beware what you wish for... DMC2 enemies were just stupid, mindless, the AI was non-existent, some enemies had a ridiculously long LOOOOOOOOOONG health bars and you could just gun them down like nothing every enemy was too easy it just took too much time to kill them, the bosses were BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING.
They had no AI and long health bars, it was just raping the square button and your thumb for 2-4 minutes (maybe more) depending on how long the boss' health bar was.

The designs were IMO horrible, three different types of flying goats, four types of "mancers" + tanks and helicopters.

And I have played that game with both Lucia and Dante, I don't know how I managed to do that xD

DMC2's enemies are an insult to all the enemies that exist :lol:

788Masri

I have a feeling DmC will be easier than any of the original Western releases of DMC 1 through 4 were. If they really are trying to appeal to a wider market they won't make the 'normal' difficulty that hard. Apparently - although I never stopped playing any of the previous DMC titles because they were 'too hard' - a lot of people are put off by former DMC titles' initial difficulty. DMC is one of those types of games series that get easier as you progress through the game in a sense, you always start off with a small health bar, and when you play DMC1 or 3 the first time the first 20% of the game is probably the hardest because of it... a few hits even from minor enemies and you are toast early on.

DMC is supposed to have always been a 'difficult' series. (Again, I never had any problem with it, although other series like Ninja Gaiden do annoy me a bit... but if I were a massive fan of NG I would be annoyed if they dumbed down the difficulty in future titles to appeal to a wider market). But games in general are getting 'easier', and gamers more impatient if they get stuck on something.

hmm dont think so. i mean i see your point but from what we can gather from early on in the game dante can do some pretty impressive moves from the get go. as such i think itll be a game where the game difficulty spikes up every few levels. so theres less button mashing and more tactics and combos. i never found any of the past games that difficult tbh. tho i admit fighting Vergil on the last part of DMC3 was no walk in the firey park. tho i agree that its probable that medium will be far easier than in the past. but its still DMC so therell probably be a hard/ very hard mode from the start as well

Yeah, I knew this guy once who played every single with cheats activated! He even completed the whole DMC3 with Infintie Devil Trigger activated in PC, he literally thought he was a GOD!!! So, once we were playing DMC3 in one of my friend's house and there I knew how bad he was, he couldn't even finish the first chapter! So, I gave him nice advice that he should stick to GTA :)

one time i was playing GTA2 with almost all cheats. i set off a bomb at a bank for a mission and the game went ballistic. i literally merged with the buildings. so i could posses any given structure and fire infinite bullets out of it while remaining invincibleand uncatchable.

I'm talking about the looks.

i agree of all the enemies (non bosses) dmc2 had the most dark ones. you genuinely felt threatened by them....jumping clowns DMC4 REALLY!!

DarkSlayer54

I don't understand how anyone could run through a game with cheats activated and feel any sense of accomplishment.
In DMC3's case, The cheats make the game easy enough for me to look past the annoying level design, and the annoying enemies.

I agree. DMC has to be difficult, but it also has to be designed in a way to forgive bad players. DMC1 did this well, DMC2 and DMC3... not so much.

For example, in DMC1... I got really ****ed off at Nightmare and Nelo Angelo. Especially on DMD... but, I never felt cheated. I always knew there was something else I could do, whether it was to give up an untouchable, or use a bunch of devil stars.

Maybe you're all just really good at Hack'n'Slash games, but DMC3, on easy mode... makes me feel cheated.

Razyel

Soul Reaver
I'm talking about the looks.
Ok, it's cool:) don't you think that the regular enemies in DmC look a little bit like Finis-demons in DMC2? And also the baby demons look alike, so perhaps they granted your wish already :lol: Just keep the tanks and choppers out of it...

788Masri

That's also the goal of Mario Party
i never got the premise for that game. Mario has a party so he invites his friends and family over to put them in a series of deathy games and sports for his own amusement.... basically giving the next generation of kids Colosseum complex so we end up with a real version of the hunger games (or battle royal)

Top Bottom