• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Devil May Cry -Stairway to Heaven-

EllDawn

I don't think Stairway to Heaven really fits. For some reason I keep thinking of something from Blood Omen. The ignis fatuus, what Mortanius said was the pathway to hell. Maybe there's a title in there somewhere.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
The idea is to take a bit more inspiration from the Divine Comedy, and while DmC accounts for what is essentially a trip through Hell, I'm counting that sort of as Inferno. So up next, would be Purgatorio, and a lot of the themes in this are Dante embracing other aspects of being Nephilim, chiefly his angelic side. The story also does some work on explaining angels and where they've been, and even a bit more about Eva, which comes along while Dante is trying to cultivate Grace to counterbalance all his Malice.

So it's sort of a journey to Heaven, since Dante is really nowhere near it yet. Naming it simply "Purgatorio" or "Purgatory" seems too easy >.<

Maybe I should think of a punny phrase, like how Devil May Cry itself is; find somethin' that I can get Purgatory or whatever to jive with :p

EllDawn

Okay. And yeah, that would be too easy. You could look at some Catholic hymns. They could give you some inspiration since they are supposed to be asking that a person's spirit reaches heaven. I'd suggest the Rutter Requiem. I'd also suggest listening to it. It's beautiful.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Unfortunately, Requiem doesn't have any lyrics I can use.

I'm sort of thinking about maybe taking something from punk itself and modifying it, like The Clash's "London Calling" and turning it into like..."Purgatory Calling" or "Limbo Calling," or something. Bknfdsalknubgrhlagg

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Newest mission is done! Just need to give it a quick edit and make sure it all flows, but that'll have to wait until after work, Should be up on my blarg either tonight or tomorrow!

Stay tuned kiddies!

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Man I wish I had more time...
I would so do concept art out of these characters you describe, that's how awesome it is!

Erian1Mortal

Premium
What'd yah think of the chapter?

It reads really fluid, weirdly enough I actually felt the urge to tune in the games ost after reading the first few sentences.
I really liked your description of Minos, and how he transformed the world around him and Dante. The fight felt like reading the script for ingame cutscenes, which is really cool since it is hard to get that stuff to transition into written text!
I also liked the cliffhanger at the end, makes me wonder when and how he'll met Phineas again and if there is some kind Angel that'll help him to find some kind of counter for his own malice, so all in all keep it up, it's good consistent writing that, in contrast to a lot of fan fictions, flows well with the games. That's also something I'm struggling with in my DMC:Legacy project...

The whole chapter also made me think about how heaven might look in DmC, I mean when Limbo or Hell is a total chaos, maybe heaven would be more like some of the weird/otherworldly stuff in El Shaddai (don't know if you've played it, it's quite an ok game).

Well all the talking about the Divine Comedy made me want to tackle that book again, even though the german version is damn hard to read and understand sometimes XD

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Heh, there's certainly a lot of ideas that I'm prepared to write, many that will tackle the things you're wondering about, too.

EllDawn

You all ready have my review, so I'm not going to repeat myself.

Erian actually made me think of what Heaven might be like. I didn't think about it before, but I kind of think that, for Dante, it would look peaceful and yet have an unsettling undertone. That's just my idea, though. I'd like to see what you'd write DmC's Heaven as.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I'm gon' bring in your what you said here to generate more discussion, if'n you don't mind n.n

Elldawn IN SUPER SECRET PM CHATS! SSSSSSHHH said:
It's absolutely the best one so far. I loved the exchange between Dante and Minos, plus the fight. The mirrors kind of reminded me of two things. Phantom of the Opera and the original Conan, I think. I haven't seen the whole movie, so I'm not sure. But you managed to make it different from both as far as how he figured out what to do and the effect.
With Trish I liked that you kept his speech unclear so it's still in question just what she is. I did get that she's dangerous to him, but not the rest.

I felt pretty sorry for Dante in the end when he's in shock over how close he came to killing Trish. I always thought it shouldn't be so easy for him to conquer his demon half. They always made it seem easy in the original series and I'm glad you didn't do that. It gives Dante more of a chance to grow.

:)

I'm glad! Never seen Phantom of the Opera or Conan, but it's good I still managed to make something interesting. I knew I wanted to bring the mirror into play for the battle somehow, and I thought about, from a gameplay perspective, what would work for something entertaining, too.

There's hints of what Trish may be all over the place, you just gotta know where to look, or wait for more hints as well :p

I'm also happy with what I did with Dante and his troubles with the so-called "man-demon." It's fairly cliche at this point for a character to struggle with a power within, but I think it's more about just doing the character justice at this point, rather than trying not to play into a trope or some junk. I was happy to mess around and make the man-demon a problem for Dante, especially since, like you said, Dante's never really seemed to have a struggle with his demonic side. Plus, with DmC giving us less of a transformation with his Devil Trigger, it left things pretty open for me to go nuts, especially in regards to the idea of him finally having a transformation - a transformation that actually poses a problem for him :3

Erian actually made me think of what Heaven might be like. I didn't think about it before, but I kind of think that, for Dante, it would look peaceful and yet have an unsettling undertone. That's just my idea, though. I'd like to see what you'd write DmC's Heaven as.

Somethin' to do with Heaven should be comin' up in the next couple of chapters or so, or at least some peripheral zone close to Heaven (spoildersit'spurgatory), similar to how Limbo isn't Hell, but it's the bridge between Hell and Earth.

My idea is that in terms of dimensional geography, it'd go something like...

Heaven>Purgatory>Earth<Limbo<Hell

...keeping in tune with something similar to the Divine Comedy (I really just want to get more references to it in there, apparently). One bigger idea is that since both Purgatory and Limbo are "dimensional bridges," they're more similar than either the Angels or the Demons realize. How that is...I have nooooooooo clue (right now, at least).

And yeah! I was thinking about how Dante would feel slightly uncomfortable in a more heavenly place, like...everything's so nice and neat, and it's like you're not allowed to touch anything.

Well all the talking about the Divine Comedy made me want to tackle that book again, even though the german version is damn hard to read and understand sometimes XD

You seem to have a pretty good grasp on English, did you try checkin' out an English one? I do admit though, it's sometimes funky to read, since it is a poem :p It's funny when you realize you just read a Canto about a demon who called for the opening of a gate with a fart.

EllDawn

I'm gon' bring in your what you said here to generate more discussion, if'n you don't mind n.n

:)

I'm glad! Never seen Phantom of the Opera or Conan, but it's good I still managed to make something interesting. I knew I wanted to bring the mirror into play for the battle somehow, and I thought about, from a gameplay perspective, what would work for something entertaining, too.

There's hints of what Trish may be all over the place, you just gotta know where to look, or wait for more hints as well :p

I'm also happy with what I did with Dante and his troubles with the so-called "man-demon." It's fairly cliche at this point for a character to struggle with a power within, but I think it's more about just doing the character justice at this point, rather than trying not to play into a trope or some junk. I was happy to mess around and make the man-demon a problem for Dante, especially since, like you said, Dante's never really seemed to have a struggle with his demonic side. Plus, with DmC giving us less of a transformation with his Devil Trigger, it left things pretty open for me to go nuts, especially in regards to the idea of him finally having a transformation - a transformation that actually poses a problem for him :3

Somethin' to do with Heaven should be comin' up in the next couple of chapters or so, or at least some peripheral zone close to Heaven (spoildersit'spurgatory), similar to how Limbo isn't Hell, but it's the bridge between Hell and Earth.

My idea is that in terms of dimensional geography, it'd go something like...

Heaven>Purgatory>Earth<Limbo<Hell

...keeping in tune with something similar to the Divine Comedy (I really just want to get more references to it in there, apparently). One bigger idea is that since both Purgatory and Limbo are "dimensional bridges," they're more similar than either the Angels or the Demons realize. How that is...I have nooooooooo clue (right now, at least).

And yeah! I was thinking about how Dante would feel slightly uncomfortable in a more heavenly place, like...everything's so nice and neat, and it's like you're not allowed to touch anything.
I'm fine with you bringing in what I said, though it's kind of funny considering what it says above the quote. The whole super-secret-PM-chats thing. Doesn't seem so secret. lol.

Well, in Phantom the mirrors were a trap that caused confusion and, I think, caused the person to die of heat exhaustion. I know it did in the book Phantom, but I'm not sure about the original. I haven't read it, yet. And the opera is extremely different from the silent film (it was my favorite thing to fall asleep to as a kid). In Conan it was a mirror room where the mirrors helped in killing the monster Conan faced. I'm trying not to give too many spoilers in case you try watching them. I don't think it's working. But I do like what you did, more. It felt more like Dante getting more in touch with his instincts.

You're going to make me want to read the chapter again to see what other hints there are.

The battle with inner demons/demon self has become a cliche, but without it there's really no point to revealing that a character even has a dark side. You can't really have one without the other, and good and evil would always conflict with each other. I think that's one thing that annoyed me with the original series. Thank you for not following their example. Besides, Vergil's Downfall proved that there is another risk to them being angel/devil hybrids. There's just the question of whether one side has to come out the victor or if there's a third option (going a little too much into Legacy of Kain).

Using purgatory as the bridge to heaven sounds interesting. And goes with what was all ready established. I kind of think the similarity between purgatory and limbo would be more subconscious than anything, that is since you don't want it to be obvious. They could look entirely different, but there could be something that would tug at Dante's brain. Good luck in figuring out what that would be. I have no idea.

You almost make heaven sound like an ancient art museum.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
You seem to have a pretty good grasp on English, did you try checkin' out an English one? I do admit though, it's sometimes funky to read, since it is a poem :p It's funny when you realize you just read a Canto about a demon who called for the opening of a gate with a fart.

Yeah, I've been thinking about looking for another translation, I guess the problem is actually the German Language, since we have a hell of a lot "dead" words and ways to describe things.
That thing with the gate, it was not the one where they call the angel for help wasn't it?

I'm really looking forward to read more of your story since it actually uses a lot really nice concepts, now that I think about it, did Dante get a new weapon through defeating Minos?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
IThe whole super-secret-PM-chats thing. Doesn't seem so secret. lol.

SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH~ The first rule of super secret PMs is you don't talk about super-secret PMs! Even though I did! DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO! :x

The battle with inner demons/demon self has become a cliche, but without it there's really no point to revealing that a character even has a dark side. You can't really have one without the other, and good and evil would always conflict with each other. I think that's one thing that annoyed me with the original series. Thank you for not following their example. Besides, Vergil's Downfall proved that there is another risk to them being angel/devil hybrids. There's just the question of whether one side has to come out the victor or if there's a third option (going a little too much into Legacy of Kain).

My initial idea so far is that Dante will need to provide balance to his soul, and not in some cheesy "fight my inner self" sorta way. From a gameplay perspective, it'd almost be like Dante trying to get an "Angel Trigger," and then having the two that offer different different strengths, sorta like a stronger version of his regular Angel and Demon modes.

Using purgatory as the bridge to heaven sounds interesting. And goes with what was all ready established. I kind of think the similarity between purgatory and limbo would be more subconscious than anything, that is since you don't want it to be obvious. They could look entirely different, but there could be something that would tug at Dante's brain. Good luck in figuring out what that would be. I have no idea.

Considering that in the Divine Comedy Purgatory was essentially Heaven's waiting room, Limbo was a similar thing for Hell, although, admittedly much worse :p Plenty of ideas rattling around in my head, and plenty of things to make a person go "OOooooooooh~" about (hopefully).

You almost make heaven sound like an ancient art museum.

There is usually a lot of marble stuff everywhere :p

That thing with the gate, it was not the one where they call the angel for help wasn't it?

It's from Canto XXI, and in my translation of it, the line was "And he made a trumpet of his ass." Since it's a poem, that sh!t rhymed with the previous lines, and in my head it was all sing-songy and I was just like "Wait...wait what?!" Boom! DEMON FARTING.

I'm really looking forward to read more of your story since it actually uses a lot really nice concepts, now that I think about it, did Dante get a new weapon through defeating Minos?

He most certainly did: a long, blue chain topped with a small curved blade. I'll let you guys try to figure it out :3 It's called the Saṃsāra, and the type of weapon it has ties to DmC's devs in some way.

OppWri! No helpin' 'em on this (not that it's all that hard).

Erian1Mortal

Premium
It's from Canto XXI, and in my translation of it, the line was "And he made a trumpet of his ass." Since it's a poem, that sh!t rhymed with the previous lines, and in my head it was all sing-songy and I was just like "Wait...wait what?!" Boom! DEMON FARTING.

He most certainly did: a long, blue chain topped with a small curved blade. I'll let you guys try to figure it out :3 It's called the Saṃsāra, and the type of weapon it has ties to DmC's devs in some way.

I just re-read that one, damn, totally forgot that, even though in the german one it does not rhyme...

The name for the weapon kinda fits the end of what Dante's journey could be, it means something along the lines of Redemption or Salvation doesn't it?

EllDawn

SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH~ The first rule of super secret PMs is you don't talk about super-secret PMs! Even though I did! DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO! :x

My initial idea so far is that Dante will need to provide balance to his soul, and not in some cheesy "fight my inner self" sorta way. From a gameplay perspective, it'd almost be like Dante trying to get an "Angel Trigger," and then having the two that offer different different strengths, sorta like a stronger version of his regular Angel and Demon modes.

Considering that in the Divine Comedy Purgatory was essentially Heaven's waiting room, Limbo was a similar thing for Hell, although, admittedly much worse :p Plenty of ideas rattling around in my head, and plenty of things to make a person go "OOooooooooh~" about (hopefully).

There is usually a lot of marble stuff everywhere :p

I'll do as I want, and you can't stop me. lol. Plus, this isn't Fight Club.

That sounds much better than what most people would have where it's either the angel or demon half that has to dominate. It doesn't have to be and either/or. There's obviously a part of him that has nothing to do with either half and has existed somewhere in between.

I'm sure you can do your ideas justice. And I'll try not to ask too many questions about them.

I just have to comment on this. A demon fart opening a gate? That's a new one. What level of hell was that? And did he have a mule, or something? He could have made a trumpet of that since they are also called asses.

Top Bottom