• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Devil May Cry -Stairway to Heaven-

EllDawn

So, here I was thinking it'd take me a little while to get the next chapter out because of the holiday season, but...well...most of the next chapter has written itself, especially since I appropriated something I wrote regarding a DmC2 for a portion of it.

So yeah! A new chapter should be up soon, although I warn you not to get too excited, since it's a lot of exposition. So...be excited if you love learning!
No problem that it's a lot of exposition. Dante's personality makes that even more entertaining.

EllDawn

Great. Something for me to read while I print stuff for my dad.

-------------

I read it, and really didn't mind the exposition. I liked that you didn't make a big deal about Trish touching the divinity statue. It was simple and not really focused on.

As for the conversations, since they were on the beach, you probably could have added little bits of what was happening in the background. Like momentary distractions for Dante, things he noticed while Phineas was speaking. Just to give more atmosphere to it rather than just having them talking. That would make the chapter longer, but I wouldn't call that a problem.

Anyway, another chapter I enjoyed. I'm looking forward to seeing how everything unfolds.

Last edited:

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Well, I liked the focus on explaining this time around.
I've also re-read the last mission and well googled a word I found interesting.
Malakim: Well according to Wikipedia (I know...) Malakim are messengers of God, Angels in the Judaism.
So does that mean Trish is an Angel this time around? Since the Man-Demon pretty much blatantly called her that.

I really liked the explanation on Purgatory and the Angel Weaponry as well as the slight humorous bits here and there.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I read it, and really didn't mind the exposition. I liked that you didn't make a big deal about Trish touching the divinity statue. It was simple and not really focused on.

:3 That's another hiiiiiiiiiiiint~

Once more information is given, this'll also explain what Divinity Statues are, too. I'm quite happy with my explanation, as well :p

As for the conversations, since they were on the beach, you probably could have added little bits of what was happening in the background.

Y'know, I actually thought about doing that, but I was slightly worried it would cut up a bit too much of the conversation and muck up the pacing a bit >.< I always seem to second-guess myself :/ I think I was also worried about making it go too long, too, since just with the dialogue alone put it up to my 7-8 page limit.

I suppose I should ask you guys if you feel the current chapter length is okay, or if maybe it should be longer? I'm thinking that I should at least try not to ever break past 10 pages...maybe.

Oh, and it was a park, not a beach :x Although now I have an image of Phineas in one of those old timey, 1920's striped swim suits.

Thanks for those comments though, maybe when I have some extra time I'll go back and add a bit more life to the park in Mission 5 n.n

Well, I liked the focus on explaining this time around.
I've also re-read the last mission and well googled a word I found interesting.
Malakim: Well according to Wikipedia (I know...) Malakim are messengers of God, Angels in the Judaism.
So does that mean Trish is an Angel this time around? Since the Man-Demon pretty much blatantly called her that.

I really liked the explanation on Purgatory and the Angel Weaponry as well as the slight humorous bits here and there.

Hey, don't knock Wikipedia. If it's got official sources, it's still an aggregate of as much knowledge pertaining to a subject as possible :p

But! I'm not gonna say anything yet, although these are all hints that Trish is something more than human; considering that the man-demon seems to focus on her, and that she touched a statue that previously we know only Dante could see.

There's also another smaller hint at something from when the man-demon attacked Trish during the interrogation, although it's very subtle, and almost seems like something halfway normal, unless you know of some things some certain people in some certain religions do >.>

Vague hint is vague...wow. Or wait, what's the trend these days? "So hint. Wow. Much vague."

Last edited:

Erian1Mortal

Premium

Hey, don't knock Wikipedia. If it's got official sources, it's still an aggregate of as much knowledge pertaining to a subject as possible :p

There's also another smaller hint at something from when the man-demon attacked Trish during the interrogation, although it's very subtle, and almost seems like something halfway normal, unless you know of some things some certain people in some certain religions do >.>

Vague hint is vague...wow. Or wait, what's the trend these days? "So hint. Wow. Much vague."

Well I've been getting a lot of bad responses whenever I say I've got my information out of Wikipedia, so sorry for that one.

I'll be checking out the chapter again, maybe I'll find something XD

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Well I've been getting a lot of bad responses whenever I say I've got my information out of Wikipedia, so sorry for that one.

Haha, no worries, it's their fault for believing that something that can be "edited by anyone" would never actually still have legitimate sources.

I'll be checking out the chapter again, maybe I'll find something XD

Heh, nice to hear of someone bein' so vigilant for clues in something I made. Warms me heart, it does!

Here's the last hint I can give yah regarding it. It's known as a "feat" in Dungeons & Dragons and other table top games, and goes by the title of "something on something" as well.

EllDawn

Once more information is given, this'll also explain what Divinity Statues are, too. I'm quite happy with my explanation, as well :p

Y'know, I actually thought about doing that, but I was slightly worried it would cut up a bit too much of the conversation and muck up the pacing a bit >.< I always seem to second-guess myself :/ I think I was also worried about making it go too long, too, since just with the dialogue alone put it up to my 7-8 page limit.

I suppose I should ask you guys if you feel the current chapter length is okay, or if maybe it should be longer? I'm thinking that I should at least try not to ever break past 10 pages...maybe.

Oh, and it was a park, not a beach :x Although now I have an image of Phineas in one of those old timey, 1920's striped swim suits.

Thanks for those comments though, maybe when I have some extra time I'll go back and add a bit more life to the park in Mission 5 n.n
lol. I thought that was another hint. And I have a guess as to what she is, but I'm going to wait to find out.

As long as you don't have too many breaks, it'll be fine. It's just something I always liked about some authors, where they'd give you more of the world around the characters and not just the conversation. To me it always acted as a reminder that there's much more than just the main characters. And don't worry too much about the chapter length. Don't put a limit on it.

I have no idea why I thought it was a beach. And the idea of Phineas in one of those swimsuits is kind of disturbing. It's better than what's available now, though. Not a picture I wanted in my head.

If you do, let me know and I'll read it again.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
In other news, the views of Stairway to Heaven on fanfiction.net are continuing to climb. Sorta surprised, and yet still no comments. Oh well.

I still hate that site for not letting me format paragraphs :C Not having indentations is maddening to my acute OCD.

EllDawn

In other news, the views of Stairway to Heaven on fanfiction.net are continuing to climb. Sorta surprised, and yet still no comments. Oh well.

I still hate that site for not letting me format paragraphs :C Not having indentations is maddening to my acute OCD.
At least people are reading it. That's the main thing to look at.

lol. Considering I tease my mom for some of her OCDs, I'll try to refrain from doing that. You'll just have to hit enter twice in order to separate paragraphs. I hate it, too. But they don't give much of a choice.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
In other news! The version on fanfiction.net has roughly 250+ views as of typing this, which seems nice. Plus, reviews are starting to come in from there as well...unfortunately, they're from people who apparently can't be assed to read all that's available to understand what's going on. Such gems they are.

The site also continues to make me frustrated with now not being able to even reply to those silly comments to clarify things because they're apparently guests. What's the point of letting authors reply to reviewers if they can't reply to a portion of them? Really sets up a stupid "drive-by lambasting" sorta system that authors can do little about other than removing the posts...

EllDawn

I really haven't been to that site in years. I don't think I'd even bother with it. What have the reviews said?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
One was asking why Dante was smoking again after it had been cut from the game, and then insinuating that I did it because I think it's cool, and what's next? Drugs? I got rid of that one because it was very stupid, and if they had bothered to read further, there was reason for it's implementation.

Another was someone who I had a tough time reading, I s'pose English wasn't their first language, but didn't like it because Dante seemed just like his old self from the beginning of DmC, and that no one seemed to talk about Vergil at all. Points being that Dante would instantly become some brand new person after declaring to be humanity's champion, and them not talking about Vergil is because a) they have sh!t to do that doesn't involve sitting around and moping about stabbing brothers, and b) whenever he is slightly brought up, they refuse to talk about him, Kat especially dancing around the subject because the wounds are still open, for both of them.

This is also remedied by bothering to read further, since in Sagacity they talk quite openly about what happened with Vergil, but still try not to make it the focus of the issue.

Then something about how "suddenly Officer Portinari is Trish WTF?" I'm seriously wondering if a majority of Devil May Cry fans have never actually read the Divine Comedy...considering Trish is short for Beatrice, and Portinari was the real Beatrice's last name.

All in all, it was some junk reviews from people who didn't bother to read all of it before jumping to conclusions, or were expecting everything to be laid out cleanly and succinctly, despite the whole thing being in progress. There's so much more to focus on in the story that I haven't yet because it takes time to reach those key points.

DragonMaster also had one on there, which was perfectly fine :tongue: But I don't count that review as part of the odd stuff I got recently.

EllDawn

I agree with Chancey on this one. If they're going to focus on such ridiculous things and not pay attention to the fact that they are explained, they're idiots. What it might all boil down to is they just want to be negative about something.

Vergil being mentioned isn't something I would expect, anyway. As you said, it's a wound that's too fresh for Kat. Dante would probably rather just forget it because of what he lost in the fight. It's not something they'd want to openly dwell on.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the "and now Officer Portinari is Trish WTF?" comment >.<

Portinari is obviously her last name, and she gives her first name as Beatrice, which Dante then shortens to "Trish." Maybe it's because in the first chapter Dante was just calling her "lady," and yet...not in the Lady character-sense, but...because she was just a chick...

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
When I think about it, you think Minos should have been this upcoming boss? Dante is supposed to be confronting some demonic lawyers next and Minos being the judge of the damned he is, might have fit well there in that setting.

Just saying, I still think it's great so far anyway.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Eh, coulda worked, but I thought up most of Minos before I came up with the Laywer's shtick.

My small bit of Minos being the judge of the dead is that Minos in the asylum was the judge of whether the patients were fit to leave, and how insane they might be :tongue:

I like the Lawyer's process that I came up with, since without a demon king, they demons need to get creative in how they acquire souls.

Top Bottom