• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Devil May Cry -Stairway to Heaven-

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Thanks. Sometimes I need a little assurance of what I'm doing is okay >.<

Any thoughts on things we learned in this chapter?

EllDawn

Thanks. Sometimes I need a little assurance of what I'm doing is okay >_<

Any thoughts on things we learned in this chapter?
No problem. It's one thing I do.

I'll have to read through it again. I did find it interesting that it looked like the divinity statue was reacting to Trish. I'm not sure if I actually understood that part right, though.

EllDawn

Since you wanted opinions on what was learned in this chapter, I'm posting again after reading the chapter again.

First of all, I know the whole thing about the clown was a reference to DMC3, but I can't help but think of Pennywise from Stephen King's It. I love that clown.

Anyway, I like that Dante can see the human world when looking into the mirror. It really gives the idea that the two worlds are in the same space, in a way. Just two different planes.

I kind of think Minos should taunt Dante more, now that he knows who he is. He has a lot he can use against him. There's no reason for him not to use Dante's memories against him. I'm sure he knows just what buttons to push. It would also be a way for Minos to push Dante to the point of losing control. Oddly enough I'd like to see that.

For now that's about all I can think of that really stuck out for me. I did like Dante jumping in front of the car. Seems so much like something he'd do.

I'd better stop before I start mentioning what horror films this reminded me of.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Hahaha, no worries.

The tough part is trying to write things in such a way that it can be an adventure through Limbo like it is in the game, but...not dependent solely on action. As awesome as the action can be, reading about Dante platforming, running, and cutting through demons can get tiresome, just as watching an action scene in a movie that goes on for too long can have a tiring effect on the brain, to the point where you're watching, but it's not registering all that much >.<

There's still plenty more interaction to be had between Dante and Minos, though :3 I hope what I do have planned next will suffice - luckily, this will be our first big blowout fight, and I've got some spiffy choreography set for it.

I'm glad it still seems to be holding interest!

EllDawn

Hahaha, no worries.

The tough part is trying to write things in such a way that it can be an adventure through Limbo like it is in the game, but...not dependent solely on action. As awesome as the action can be, reading about Dante platforming, running, and cutting through demons can get tiresome, just as watching an action scene in a movie that goes on for too long can have a tiring effect on the brain, to the point where you're watching, but it's not registering all that much >_<

There's still plenty more interaction to be had between Dante and Minos, though :3 I hope what I do have planned next will suffice - luckily, this will be our first big blowout fight, and I've got some spiffy choreography set for it.

I'm glad it still seems to be holding interest!
I can understand how that can be difficult. I'm not that good with writing action. And as you said, it can get pretty tiring to have it continual. Movies like that are pretty good to sleep through, at least. Then again I was able to sleep through The Exorcist.

I can't wait to see what happens in the next chapter. I'm really looking forward to it. No spoilers in the mean time?

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Reads like a knive that cuts through butter XD
I guess it's just me but I just can't picture this part of Limbo, or this version, the way we've usually seen it in the game.
In my mind I always see totally sterile corridors, still a little twisted (like usual or like the spectral realm in soul reaver) but not really normally chaotic place that it is normally.
Can't wait for the next chapter, just take your time to make it good!

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I can understand how that can be difficult. I'm not that good with writing action. And as you said, it can get pretty tiring to have it continual. Movies like that are pretty good to sleep through, at least. Then again I was able to sleep through The Exorcist.

I can't wait to see what happens in the next chapter. I'm really looking forward to it. No spoilers in the mean time?

No spoilers, only vague hints :p I like hints. You guys figuring out stuff yourselves is part of the fun, and maybe gettin' into my head. One of the best things about twists and mysteries is playing along, and finding out your thoughts are true.

Reads like a knive that cuts through butter XD
I guess it's just me but I just can't picture this part of Limbo, or this version, the way we've usually seen it in the game.
In my mind I always see totally sterile corridors, still a little twisted (like usual or like the spectral realm in soul reaver) but not really normally chaotic place that it is normally.
Can't wait for the next chapter, just take your time to make it good!

Ha, thanks.

Yeah, this Limbo isn't too abstract, the ceiling shot up and away, so now the hallway is more like a really tight canyon. The exit is blocked off, and all of the doors of rooms are open, pressed up against the far walls of the rooms. Fixtures and furniture have imploded like trashcans and streetlights that we see in DmC. Then, there's the mirrors, which show everything as normal (a real world perspective) while Limbo itself is twisted. The exit, the doors, and the mirrors are part of this Limbo's subliminal "illusion of sanity" - a crazy person sees themself as perfectly fine (looking at a mirror), the admissions desk in the lobby seems to track patients, but it's really to prevent them from leaving (blocking the exit in Limbo), and doors to rooms usually offer privacy and a way to shut out the world and be alone, but they've always been open to anyone (doors off their hinges and against the opposite walls).

I wanted to do more, but I had to figure what was more important, the narrative, or trying to make a superbly abstract environment that I'll then have to try and play up >.< Minos' fight will have a muuuuch more abstract room, and there's always the next place :3

Erian1Mortal

Premium

That description alone is enough to paint a pretty clear picture in my mind, which is awesome!
I'm actually thinking of doing a few concept paintings based upon your story right now, since I do that a lot lately (I just don't have time to work on full blown detailed illustrations right now, which kinda sucks...).

EllDawn

No spoilers, only vague hints :p I like hints. You guys figuring out stuff yourselves is part of the fun, and maybe gettin' into my head. One of the best things about twists and mysteries is playing along, and finding out your thoughts are true.
Like the hint you kind of gave me earlier. Oh well. Reading through it is more fun anyway. I just have to learn to be patient.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I will give this one small hint that applies to a lot of the story as a whole; regarding anything from the Divine Comedy that Devil May Cry has taken, I'm trying to also do it more justice, making the references more true to their source.

Take that however you will :3

EllDawn

I will give this one small hint that applies to a lot of the story as a whole; regarding anything from the Divine Comedy that Devil May Cry has taken, I'm trying to also do it more justice, making the references more true to their source.

Take that however you will :3
Unfortunately I haven't read the Divine Comedy, yet. It's on my Nook (I think), but I haven't gotten to it yet. I'll be looking for anything I might recognize. Which means you now have me getting ready to kind of hunt down references to the original work.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Hahaha, adds a new layer of fun to the reading :p

And yuss! Do read it. The Divine Comedy is very good! Especially in some of the concepts Dante used.

EllDawn

And yuss! Do read it. The Divine Comedy is very good! Especially in some of the concepts Dante used.
I will. I just have a few books I'd like to read before it. I also need to figure out where in my list it is.

Erian1Mortal

Premium

Man, that reminds me...
I've still got to read the rest of the Divine Comedy, even though it's pretty damn hard to read in the german translation XD

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Okay! So I have lots of ideas, which should make the next mission pop out sooner, except that I'm suddenly working a metric f#ck-ton (it's true, I weighed it myself) in the week(s) to come, so...uh...I guess it might not be coming super-soon, but, probably not super-late either @_@

EllDawn

Okay! So I have lots of ideas, which should make the next mission pop out sooner, except that I'm suddenly working a metric f#ck-ton (it's true, I weighed it myself) in the week(s) to come, so...uh...I guess it might not be coming super-soon, but, probably not super-late either @_@
With the holidays coming that's no surprise. Just don't overwork yourself. When you can, give yourself a chance to rest from work.

Top Bottom