• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dmc dante vs DMC3 vergil

who wins

• Total voters

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
tumblr_miazecVM8q1r3ifxzo1_500.gif

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Ok, f this. I am done discussing. Excuse my language, its a way to express, something.
That wasn't regen - that was a healing ability.

That ability that helped him recover is healing. The difference between regen and healing is regen is something that happens automatically, it's not something you controll.
NTDante using a ability to get Rebellion to appear, notice the tatoo glows
NTDante using a healing ability, notice the tattoo glows

Well, if we're just going to arbitrarily redefine things :/ Regeneration only means to regrow something damaged, it is a synonym for healing.

So his tattoo glows when Dante manifests/changes a weapon, and when something heals? What's to say the healing isn't subconscious, and the glow still happens because that's where the regenerative power is coming from.

It still stands that so far we have seen both characters both shrug off damage that would maim a regular person (with no visible wounds - I call dev laziness on that) in cutscenes, and regenerate vitality while in Devil Trigger during gameplay. Of the latter, DmC Dante recovers more vitality per tick than classic characters.

That's all we've got out of that...

Also you asked me on basis i debated things, and i told you as it was. If you want me to talk on basis of the gameplay? Go take a look at how fast DMC3 Vergil is in DT.

Player needs to use Quicksilver to effectively kill him.

Oh you most certainly don't...I never used Quicksilver and was able to beat 'im just fine :/

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
So his tattoo glows when Dante manifests/changes a weapon, and when something heals? What's to say the healing isn't subconscious, and the glow still happens because that's where the regenerative power is coming from.
It's probably a reflex from the stretching. Kind of like how shoulder blades pop when you roll them around.
That's all we've got out of that...
And that's all you're ever going to get from these types of discussions.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
It still stands that so far we have seen both characters both shrug off damage that would maim a regular person (with no visible wounds - I call dev laziness on that) in cutscenes, and regenerate vitality while in Devil Trigger during gameplay. Of the latter, DmC Dante recovers more vitality per tick than classic characters.

DMC Dante have shrug off much more damage in his body than DmC Dante. Being stabbed left and right but walks like it was nothing and got stabbed from the heart but still was able to live. DmC Dante only heals faster gameplay wise when in DT.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
DMC Dante have shrug off much more damage in his body than DmC Dante. Being stabbed left and right but walks like it was nothing and got stabbed from the heart but still was able to live. DmC Dante only heals faster gameplay wise when in DT.

Then what's with all the stuff Dante shrugged off later in DmC...? The high-powered rounds? The chest-fingers? By saying classic Dante shrugged off more than DmC you have to take into account that he's only dealt with more punishment by virtue of there being four installments to the series, along with an anime, and a couple books. If there was something else DmC Dante could shrug off, he probably would.

And in DMC1 Dante totally got stabbed in the heart by Alastor and blacked out for a moment. He even went limp after getting impaled by Rebellion when Nero through it at him in the beginning of DMC4. So really, the greatest thing we get out of all this is that DMC's custscenes are inconsistent and show things happen the way they do simply for the dramatic effect of that moment :/

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Then what's with all the stuff Dante shrugged off later in DmC...? The high-powered rounds? The chest-fingers? By saying classic Dante shrugged off more than DmC you have to take into account that he's only dealt with more punishment by virtue of there being four installments to the series, along with an anime, and a couple books. If there was something else DmC Dante could shrug off, he probably would.

You're comparing getting shoot at being stabbed by numerous demonic blades and powerful devil arms such as Yamato and Alastor. You're also comparing those chest fingers to being literally stabbed by rebellion to the heart. Also, being able to shrug off higher or more destructive weapons and being able to regenerate to them easily is a higher feat.

And in DMC1 Dante totally got stabbed in the heart by Alastor and blacked out for a moment. He even went limp after getting impaled by Rebellion when Nero through it at him in the beginning of DMC4. So really, the greatest thing we get out of all this is that DMC's custscenes are inconsistent and show things happen the way they do simply for the dramatic effect of that moment :/

Yes, he blocked out a moment but he was able to get up easily like it was nothing then. As for the Nero battle we could easily say that Dante is just screwing around like what you said, dramatic effect lol

786b2f5053403ccb9ca017b325b378f21329514909_full.jpg

This is probably how I.D. feels 90% of the time...

HOLY HELL IT'S THE GUY FROM MINAMI-KE!

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
You're comparing getting shoot at being stabbed by numerous demonic blades and powerful devil arms such as Yamato and Alastor. You're also comparing those chest fingers to being literally stabbed by rebellion to the heart. Also, being able to shrug off higher or more destructive weapons and being able to regenerate to them easily is a higher feat.

Comparing what's available, unfortunately. If Dante had the pleasure of being impaled every ten seconds like his classic counterpart, it'd be a lot easier.

Yes, he blocked out a moment but he was able to get up easily like it was nothing then. As for the Nero battle we could easily say that Dante is just screwing around like what you said, dramatic effect lol

And that's the biggest problem with all of this. The complete and utter inconsistency with half of what we see and/or play (across so much contradicting material) makes it difficult to quantify and compare anything :/ At least DmC tried to remain much more consistent.

However, once again most of this doesn't matter, because it's a contest between DmC Dante and DMC3 Vergil, not his brother. Even then comparisons made between Vergil and Dante can only go so far, considering Vergil ended up losing to his brother and died in DMC3. A lot of what is being documented about Dante comes from later on in the series, where he's becoming more powerful, while Vergil is...still dead >.>

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
At least DmC tried to remain much more consistent.

Yeah, gotta agree with this.

C
However, once again most of this doesn't matter, because it's a contest between DmC Dante and DMC3 Vergil, not his brother. Even then comparisons made between Vergil and Dante can only go so far, considering Vergil ended up losing to his brother and died in DMC3. A lot of what is being documented about Dante comes from later on in the series, where he's becoming more powerful, while Vergil is...still dead >.>

Tsk, why do both Vergil have to lose to both Dantes when they are much cooler -_-
In the end, i think i really have to give this debate to the God of Guns. It seems that DmC Dante really had the capacity to defeat DMC 3 Vergil.

EvilX-81

I've seen this many times in anime. Particularly in Bleach. Where a certain character has a haxed ability, but then faces someone else who has stronger spirit power. The haxed ability is then nullified.

Soifon from Bleach has a second stage weapon ability where if she stings you twice on same spot your killed. When she stung Aizen (a powerful villain) twice, she was shocked "Why was he not dying?", simple: His reatsu (spirit power) was so high that it was shielding his physical body from being harmed.​
It had no effect on him, because he was far to powerful for it to work on him.​
Offtopic but...

...I f*ckin hate that, so much. I mean... give a character with a near instant kill power, then throughout the rest of the series, constantly nullify it's use. Should'nt have given a character such a goddamn op power if you're going to backpedal on it's use for the rest of existence.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Tsk, why do both Vergil have to lose to both Dantes when they are much cooler -_-
In the end, i think i really have to give this debate to the God of Guns. It seems that DmC Dante really had the capacity to defeat DMC 3 Vergil.

Well, as ID randomly pointed out so much, Dante wins because he's the hero, and Vergil is a bad boy. That's how it's written, with Dante being stronger in the end.

Offtopic but...

...I f*ckin hate that, so much. I mean... give a character with a near instant kill power, then throughout the rest of the series, constantly nullify it's use. Should've have given a character such a goddamn op power if you're going to backpedal on it's use for the rest of existence.

This is a trap a lot of new writers (and even some seasoned ones) fall into. Give someone some super power, and then suddenly it changes the entire tone of something. It's like when some super-cheese tactic in a fighter is figured out, and suddenly the meta revolves specifically around that for winning, at the expense of all other skill and variety the game provides.

The bigger issue is giving a character something grand to overcome adversity, or to be a very dangerous threat, and not putting enough checks on it to balance everything out. Stuff like "My will is stronger!" is a huge cop-out, and can only work maybe...once or twice for one character, otherwise it get's really hackneyed. Look at DBZ, making Super Saiyans so powerful, and then having to create new foes that were stronger than them, only for enemies to be too strong, warranting another level of Super Saiyan that allows them to beat the bad guys.

The same could be said for a lot of things that pull out a super mode for a character, because it either gets used as a deus ex machina too often, or it's made obsolete when everything they face becomes so out of proportion that it either makes the super mode useless, or calls for higher tiers of that super mode, which then still puts it at risk of teetering back into being a deus ex machina :/

It also becomes a problem when something drags on for waaaaaaaay longer than it should, which some anime and manga are at fault for (a lot), especially stuff like DBZ, Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, etc. Jump's desire for profit stretches out and ultimately damages the narrative :/

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Vergil's not fully demon, he's a nephilim.

Under what grounds? The grounds that just because they fly on missles, and use motorcycles as weapons then they're stronger? That's still not a good justification.

The fact that Vergil is as strong as a demon king (or weaker, I don't know) says a lot about DmC Dante who is a killer of demon kings.
No. It's also about actual experience and trusting your instinct. I mean how did DMC3 Dante beat Vergil, and he's hardly had any real formal training? Just because Dante's not been trained properly doesn't mean he can't catch Vergil. And as said before, Vergil's speed won't be too big of a problem because if he could catch Vergil in DmC, then he can catch Vergil in DMC3.

1.we are talking about DMC Vergil not DmC Vergil. he is half demon half human but stronger than most full demons so his human half doesn't make much of a difference.
2. the grounds that they regularly do things their DmC equivalents have not been shown to be capable of and their father is the stronger version of Sparda (DMC Mundus is far stronger than DmC Mundus but DMC Sparda won and DmC Sparda and DmC Eva together lost)
3. Vergil is significantly stronger than DmC's poor excuse for a demon king. sure DmC Mundus has a few impressive looking tricks from manipulating limbo but other than that the only thing he has is the hellgate giving him fake immortality.
4. DMC Dante beat DMC Vergil because he accepted his human side and Vergil didn't and the DMC sons of Sparda don't need training they seem to be experts with every weapon the moment they get it. ( just watch the cutscenes after Dante gets weapons, no matter what he ends up with he always knows what to do with it.)
5. DmC Dante beating DmC Vergil ( who was shown to have always been weaker than DmC Dante) is not a reason why he should be able to beat DMC Vergil ( who is shown to be significantly more capable than DMC Dante, easily wins on the first try and only loses in the end because of his refusal to accept his human side) even if you deny the differences in power level between the two Dantes there is no question that the two Vergils are not equal.

But Vergil was defeated by Mundus...and Dante ultimately became way more powerful than him...what with Vergil being dead and all.

And once again, how to we quantify this "base power" across both characters...?

if we assume that DMC Vergil is half as strong as DMC Sparda than Vergil would be weaker than Mundus as long as Sparda isn't twice as strong as Mundus and if we compare the two versions of Mundus it is clear that DMC Mundus is significantly more than twice as strong as DmC Mundus. so if DMC Sparda is only slightly stronger than DMC Mundus than DMC Vergil is stronger than DmC Mundus but not DMC Mundus. as to quantifying base power all we can do is look at evidence and make comparisons. its really all educated guesses since there is no official statement on comparisons between the two universes.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Super Saiyan transformations are so awesome though. Man, when I was a kid watching DBZ, seeing Goku turn into Super Saiyan for the first time was like my generation's moon landing.

We were all talking about it the next day and freaking the f#ck out.

Top Bottom