• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Disappointed that Dante has become a joke character.(From DMC 4)

dg1995

In the first 3 DMC games, Dante was kind of a tragic hero. He was a hero with a tragedy of losing his mother and brother at the you

DMC 3: He never liked to carry the legacy of Sparda at the beginning and as a result he tried to have fun with every enemies in the game. As the story went on, he became more and more mature and realized that as a half human half demon he has a responsibility. And some times you could see him being 100 percent serious(Like the times when he fought Lady and fought Vergil for the 3rd time.)

DMC 1: in there he was a serious character majority of DMC 1 and while he is facing Mundus he is a complete serious character.(And from what I remember there was only 1 cutscene where Dante cracked some jokes to Phantom)

DMC 2: unfortunately in here the developers completely failed to establish Dante's personality because they never explained why he was so serious and quiet.(They could easily explain it by either saying that trish died/left him or he has become tired of fighting demons in his life. PoP 2 Warrior Within managed to explain the change of Prince's character well .)

Then came DMC 4 and 5: 2 games that Dante acts like a complete joke character without any character development.
I also hate this that he isn't really acting like a Demon Hunter that defeated Mundus. He just wants to say one liners, do funny stuff and combating enemies non seriously way.(Him making the sound of bruce lee while attacking with Balrog made me not taking use that weapon that much.)

Alongside this, I also hated the whole Dance scene of DMC 5 and screenplay of him with Agnus.(Then what's the point of showing serious stuff in the game cutscenes like people getting killed and demon invasions when the main character doesn't give any damn.)

Has he hit his head while escaping from hell between DMC 2 and 4 ?

tl;dr : For games like Godhand, having a joke protagonist works well because the whole story , cutscenes and dialogues of Godhand are jokes to make you laugh. But it doesn't fit DMC's story well. DMC was a Castlevania type game in PS2 era(And having similar themes like saving humans from demons) but I'm disappointed that developers just decided to abandon it and cater it to the fans that hated "serious Dante".

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
And from what I remember there was only 1 cutscene where Dante cracked some jokes to Phantom

And the opening cutscene, and the banter with Griffon, with Nero Angelo, with Mundus upon his defeat, and the plane escape, and the ending, and probably some other cutscene I forgot because it's been so long since I played the first game. But definitely not just 1 cutscene with him cracking jokes and oneliners.

But as for the topic at hand. I'll give you DMC4. But 5? Really? The only outlandish scene in the whole game is the dance scene, and that's literally it. In the rest of the game he's either serious or at most cracking some mild jokes a la DMC1/3.

So yeah, I don't see where you're coming from here. If you had posted this before DMC5 came out, then yeah, I would have seen your point.

Goldsickle

Even if one's life started tragically, some people just get better.
Maybe Dante still has some suppressed lingering trauma, anger and regrets but he doesn't show it.

When Nightmare swallows Dante in DMC1, supposedly the enemies he faces in the nightmare dimension are "reflections of Dante's trauma which rests in his subconscious".
So if he has any trauma or repressed anger, it may take some really nasty demon to bring it out.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Imo DMC5 Dante is the closest to his original counterpart as he has been since DMC1.
Still had a sense of humor and some entertaining moments, but also has his serious moments (My personal favorite being when he tells Nero that Vergil's his father)

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
The anime was where Dante's character went to absolute crap. Making him a bum of a guy, lazy as all hell, and can barely handle getting cheated out of his money due to his massive debt. Which is another tragedy to not only Dante, but a lot a cool anime related characters; that damn debt they always have to pay. And then there's Dante not knowing how to stand up for himself when the women in his life treat him like literal garbage and he just sits there and takes it. I mean at least say SOMETHING in regards to those insults.

DMC5 was a little better because he had a reason to do something in this game. He had a purpose and a goal to reach. He had a threat that could solo him easily, requiring him to try and get stronger and actually struggle. This made Dante take the situation more seriously and therefore brought forth a new seriousness to him that hasn't been seen in years.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@dg1995
The main issue was they didn't know what to do with Dante post DMC1. 5 was the closest they got to a focused Dante actively pursuing a goal.

Before he was a supporting character in someone else's story (4) or a bore (anime/2).

berto

I Saw the Devil
In the first 3 DMC games, Dante was kind of a tragic hero.
Not particularly. Tragic hero implies a tragic end not a tragic life nor a tragic past. Dante isn't defined by the tragedies in his life so he wouldn't qualify as one. He takes it all like a champ and, in addition, tragedy implies a conclusion with either death or suffering so if he's smiling at the end it's a happy one. 3 could qualify but that'd still be a bit of a stretch.

In the traditional sense a comedy isn't something that's funny, it's something with a happy ending. It can have a tragic start, it can be serious and lacking in anything like what we associate with moder comedy and can even have a large body count, but as long it's a happy ending it's a comedy. A tragedy is the same thing. All you need is for it to have a tragic ending. It can be funny all the way to the end, it can be about puppies that save the world or about the life of a little boy with leukemia, but it has to end with tragedy. Dante doesn't really fit that.

Then came DMC 4 and 5: 2 games that Dante acts like a complete joke character without any character development.
I feel ya. I also think that Dante's kind of became a parody of himself. The original concept for Dante was a man who smiled through adversity but knew when to be serious. He was supposed to be like Cobra, the space pirate, from the manga who was rather slick and self assured, and not so much like the anime where he constantly did really goofy s**t and made faces. He was also supposed to have a superior intellect, as did the demons he fought, which is why humans needed Sparda and, by extension, Dante. Unfortunately, the makers feel like Dante's had a full arc and that there is nothing more to do with him.

Alongside this, I also hated the whole Dance scene of DMC 5
I wholeheartedly agree. I cringe so much with that scene I tend to mute it every time I played that level. It was just... I haven't the words.

But it doesn't fit DMC's story well. DMC was a Castlevania type game in PS2 era(And having similar themes like saving humans from demons) but I'm disappointed that developers just decided to abandon it and cater it to the fans that hated "serious Dante".
That's not quite right. You see, DMC3 was the game that elevated the franchise to the stardom it now enjoys. 1 created a genre but 3 defined it. So it is 3's blue prints that the series would forever follow and not 1's. The style of storytelling, the outlandish gunfights and choreography, the general behaviour that Dante showed and became the defining version of him. It all stemmed from 3's popularity. Yes, he was a more rounded character but his general demeanour stemmed from that. Remove the character arc and this is what you have left.

I do agree, though, that being serious doesn't mean he's not him. His defining characteristic was never that he joked, it was his bravado. As long as he has that he could be more serious and still be in character.

Last edited:

Sean Gow

“I do agree, though, that being serious doesn't mean he's not him. His defining characteristic was never that he joked, it was his bravado. As long as he has that he could be more serious and still be in character.“

What Berto said.
Nail. On. Head.

I do still love Dante, and while I think his aloof personality was kinda good for DMC4, to show that he’d reached almost godlike status and just toys with everything and everyone..
Personally this made it so much scarier when you have to fight him properly for the first time when you realise how hard he’s gonna hurt you haha

But I think I’m this game he should have been a bit more serious. He did have his moments though.

Like the part where him and Nero are arguing just after they meet Vergil for the first time! One of my favourite moments in the series, actually!

berto

I Saw the Devil
@Sean Gow
Just so you know, you can highlight text and you'll get a little pop up that lets you quote or reply. If you quote you'll get a button at the bottom of the typing space to insert it and if you reply it will slap the highlighted text to the typing space immediately. It's faster than copying and pasting.

Sean Gow

Just so you know, you can highlight text and you'll get a little pop up that lets you quote or reply. If you quote you'll get a button at the bottom of the typing space to insert it and if you reply it will slap the highlighted text to the typing space immediately. It's faster than copying and pasting.
Hahaha I knew that had posted wrong. For some reason the first time I posted it, the ‘QUOTE’ bits were still visible, I couldn’t get rid of them so just deleted all those bits and did it manually. I certainly didn’t know about highlighting just a specific bit of text though, thanks so much for letting me know that, usually I quote the entire post and then delete the bits I don’t need. Take ages!

Not very good on forums and stuff, so thank you

berto

I Saw the Devil
@Sean Gow
its-what-i-5c28c7.jpg

_Coby_

In the first 3 DMC games, Dante was kind of a tragic hero. He was a hero with a tragedy of losing his mother and brother at the you

DMC 3: He never liked to carry the legacy of Sparda at the beginning and as a result he tried to have fun with every enemies in the game. As the story went on, he became more and more mature and realized that as a half human half demon he has a responsibility. And some times you could see him being 100 percent serious(Like the times when he fought Lady and fought Vergil for the 3rd time.)

DMC 1: in there he was a serious character majority of DMC 1 and while he is facing Mundus he is a complete serious character.(And from what I remember there was only 1 cutscene where Dante cracked some jokes to Phantom)

DMC 2: unfortunately in here the developers completely failed to establish Dante's personality because they never explained why he was so serious and quiet.(They could easily explain it by either saying that trish died/left him or he has become tired of fighting demons in his life. PoP 2 Warrior Within managed to explain the change of Prince's character well .)

I also hate this that he isn't really acting like a Demon Hunter that defeated Mundus. He just wants to say one liners, do funny stuff and combating enemies non seriously way.(Him making the sound of bruce lee while attacking with Balrog made me not taking use that weapon that much.)

Alongside this, I also hated the whole Dance scene of DMC 5 and screenplay of him with Agnus.(Then what's the point of showing serious stuff in the game cutscenes like people getting killed and demon invasions when the main character doesn't give any damn.)

Has he hit his head while escaping from hell between DMC 2 and 4 ?

tl;dr : For games like Godhand, having a joke protagonist works well because the whole story , cutscenes and dialogues of Godhand are jokes to make you laugh. But it doesn't fit DMC's story well. DMC was a Castlevania type game in PS2 era(And having similar themes like saving humans from demons) but I'm disappointed that developers just decided to abandon it and cater it to the fans that hated "serious Dante".
Dmc 2 ent happen before dmc4. They ar not in chronological order (correct order: 3-1-4-2). And trish didnt die in dmc2 since she is an unlikable playable character. Anyway I think you're right about dante not being a serious character anymore. Is that everyone loved the classic arrogant dmc3 dante so they kept this behaviour that with time became too exaggerated ruining the character a little bit. I agree when you say that it seems that he doesnt really care about what is happening.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Dmc 2 ent happen before dmc4. They ar not in chronological order (correct order: 3-1-4-2). And trish didnt die in dmc2 since she is an unlikable playable character. Anyway I think you're right about dante not being a serious character anymore. Is that everyone loved the classic arrogant dmc3 dante so they kept this behaviour that with time became too exaggerated ruining the character a little bit. I agree when you say that it seems that he doesnt really care about what is happening.
It was retconned the order is 3-1-2-4-5

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
DMC anime and 2 are really the only ones that messed up Dante to me. Though even Anime!Dante at leas has pieces of his DMC1 self. You want true character assassination, look no further than the Bayonetta anime movie. Not only does Bayonetta lose her most of her nice moments, but she's a bigger jackass than her game counterpart. The same applies to Jeanne and Enzo of all things. The only ones who come off acurate to their original portrayals are Rodin and Luka. I know I never wanted to see the anime adaption after the second viewing.

Top Bottom