• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition for Next Gen

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I've said in the past that Devil May Cry 5 should be about the parents of Dante and Vergil. We could get an origin story and the reasoning for Sparda's disappearance. Who would write it though? since Bingo Morihashi left Capcom after DMC4 and he has a knack for writing stories involving japanesey cheeky action characters. He went on to write for Bayonetta 2.
I wouldnt mind if capcom gets some new blood to write DMC but the issue would be whether or not they would respect whats come before with the lore and such.

thats the issue some people with Bingo's work on the franchise since most of the contradictions and inconsistencies people moan about started with DMC3 since it went backwards in the timeline etc.

But then again there were a lot of good ideas for 4(check out Gel's thread for more info) that never got used because of interference by Kobayashi the producer so maybe without his presence we might get something good again.

Maybe getting the creative team from the light novels (shinya gokieda and shiro miwa) might yield good results since people like their take on Dante in the first light novel.

Plus Miwa-san went on to create the manga Dogs Bullets and Carnage which is pretty dark stuff so maybe they can use that expierence to bring a little of the reboot's flavor into DMC.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Plus Miwa-san went on to create the manga Dogs Bullets and Carnage which is pretty dark stuff so maybe they can use that expierence to bring a little of the reboot's flavor into DMC.
Umm...pleas, anything but this. I'm doing hard enough to forget bad aftertaste of this flavor in the first place. DMC1 was darker than rest of franchise anyway, so if anyone wants to apply darker feeling to DMC it's more than enough.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Umm...pleas, anything but this. I'm doing hard enough to forget bad aftertaste of this flavor in the first place. DMC1 was darker than rest of franchise anyway, so if anyone wants to apply darker feeling to DMC it's more than enough.
Yeah, I think bringing DmC into DMC is just going to make more people angry. Besides, it would defeat the whole point of DMC: if you introduce important elements from DmC into DMC, it wouldn't be DMC anymore.
I agree: if it should be darker, let them go back to a DMC1 style. Or do a combination of DMC1 and DMC4's styles and atmospheres.

And DMC3 didn't introduce that many inconsistencies, really. Vergil was still alive at age 19 - he was never taken by Mundus when he was eight - but that's pretty much it, I think.
They just need to find a writer who will stick with them, and they need to take their time. DMC4's development time was halved, so they just need to avoid time constraints if they can.

TonyRedgraveDMC

Yeah, I think bringing DmC into DMC is just going to make more people angry. Besides, it would defeat the whole point of DMC: if you introduce important elements from DmC into DMC, it wouldn't be DMC anymore.
I agree: if it should be darker, let them go back to a DMC1 style. Or do a combination of DMC1 and DMC4's styles and atmospheres.

And DMC3 didn't introduce that many inconsistencies, really. Vergil was still alive at age 19 - he was never taken by Mundus when he was eight - but that's pretty much it, I think.
They just need to find a writer who will stick with them, and they need to take their time. DMC4's development time was halved, so they just need to avoid time constraints if they can.
No, he or she was just saying that writers who are familiar to dark angles might work out well, not "DmC in DMC". The only real inconsistency was that in DMC, on 2-3 occasions Dante and/or Trish allude to Dante's brother dying to demons along with his mother. When in the original that could be taken as "they act like Mundus sent demons to kill them all, but in reality Vergil was spared and used as a pawn" but DMC3 changes it so Vergil survived on his own and "went to Hell" at the end of DMC3 before Dante's very eyes.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
No, he or she was just saying that writers who are familiar to dark angles might work out well, not "DmC in DMC". The only real inconsistency was that in DMC, on 2-3 occasions Dante and/or Trish allude to Dante's brother dying to demons along with his mother. When in the original that could be taken as "they act like Mundus sent demons to kill them all, but in reality Vergil was spared and used as a pawn" but DMC3 changes it so Vergil survived on his own and "went to Hell" at the end of DMC3 before Dante's very eyes.
Umm we were talking regarding " bring a little of the reboot's flavor into DMC" to which I replied, that it's not necessary and do more harm than good. There is other ways to make game darker than to turn it into edgefest just for the sake of it. Hellboy was both darker (with sadomasochistic nazis) and campy at the same time. IT's much more suited for DMC than what they attempted to write in DmC.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
*Yes, that is almost exactly what I said the inconsistency was.

Also: ''Plus Miwa-san went on to create the manga Dogs Bullets and Carnage which is pretty dark stuff so maybe they can use that expierence to bring a little of the reboot's flavor into DMC.''

So yes, he did say that.

TonyRedgraveDMC

*Yes, that is almost exactly what I said the inconsistency was.

Also: ''Plus Miwa-san went on to create the manga Dogs Bullets and Carnage which is pretty dark stuff so maybe they can use that expierence to bring a little of the reboot's flavor into DMC.''

So yes, he did say that.
My impression is that his meaning is that DmC's more mature atmosphere could be implement, not the exact themes.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Initially i meant ''the reboot flavor" as a marketing tool, in the sense that Capcom would try to bring the DmC fans into DMC4 etc so i thought them bringing in aspects of story and advances in gameplay people liked over to DMC since the purpose of Capcom and NT's collabaration was so they could learn from each other (supposedly).

Im not advocating just throwing it in there without care, I'm more interested in finding the middle ground between them and a different spin etc.

But @Innsmouth said it easier by just having a better balance between the lighter moments and the heavier stuff like Hellboy or Full metal alchemist did.

@TonyRedgraveDMC
Thanks for trying to stick up for me. I'm not against the themes of DmC because you could have done social commentary without LIMBO or whatever by just having the after effects of DMC4 explored.

In DMC4 you have the ruling body of Fortuna getting exposed as a fraud and getting overthrown so having the citizens of Fortuna figure out what to do next could have been a way to talk about social upheaval and give a clear difference where Nero tries to get involved where Dante just tries to be passive and let people sort it out themselves.

@Lord Nero
Before DMC3 tackled Dante's past, there was a light novel that came out after the first game that did so and DMC3 threw it off and some fans were a little mad about because it was a good take and you wished they wrote with that novel in mind when they were doing three.

The games don't outwardly contradict but you wish they were more connected and things like the anime were better used to facilitate those connections and feel like they were bigger moments in his (and the other characters) lives rather than just filler.

So most of the hate for 4 and the anime comes from that desire from fans for something more from the franchise than unconnected one offs.

TonyRedgraveDMC

Initially i meant ''the reboot flavor" as a marketing tool, in the sense that Capcom would try to bring the DmC fans into DMC4 etc so i thought them bringing in aspects of story and advances in gameplay people liked over to DMC since the purpose of Capcom and NT's collabaration was so they could learn from each other (supposedly).

Im not advocating just throwing it in there without care, I'm more interested in finding the middle ground between them and a different spin etc.

But @Innsmouth said it easier by just having a better balance between the lighter moments and the heavier stuff like Hellboy or Full metal alchemist did.

@TonyRedgraveDMC
Thanks for trying to stick up for me. I'm not against the themes of DmC because you could have done social commentary without LIMBO or whatever by just having the after effects of DMC4 explored.

In DMC4 you have the ruling body of Fortuna getting exposed as a fraud and getting overthrown so having the citizens of Fortuna figure out what to do next could have been a way to talk about social upheaval and give a clear difference where Nero tries to get involved where Dante just tries to be passive and let people sort it out themselves.

@Lord Nero
Before DMC3 tackled Dante's past, there was a light novel that came out after the first game that did so and DMC3 threw it off and some fans were a little mad about because it was a good take and you wished they wrote with that novel in mind when they were doing three.

The games don't outwardly contradict but you wish they were more connected and things like the anime were better used to facilitate those connections and feel like they were bigger moments in his (and the other characters) lives rather than just filler.

So most of the hate for 4 and the anime comes from that desire from fans for something more from the franchise than unconnected one offs.
I'd like it if they rewrote that novel but mended any damage to Gilver, etc done by DMC3. I did really like the atmosphere the novel drew up.

Kishido

Hunter
I will post it here as well

Well pre ordered it... Not looking forward that much compared to DMC 4 but still... Pre ordered it.

I have no single doubt that DmC really is the DEFINITIVE version... Not only for the game itself but also for the whole universe.

Seeing that DMC4 with Vergil is coming out after it, I think they will go back to the old universe.
se

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Assumption that sales may determine which game gets sequel, cements my decision to never invest single penny in so called definitive edition of DmC.

Cranberry

Maker of cookies
Are they releasing them separately? Or is it going to be like a two-pack, you have to buy them both kind of deal? Does anyone know?

berto

I Saw the Devil
I wish there was a two pack option or DMC4 had the other 3 packaged in.

that would have been the best bundle ever.:angel:
You mean a PS4/One port of the HD Collection?

No. If they are going to make another port for the HD Collection I want more than just the games as they were, I already have that for the PS2, PS3 and 360. If they are going to up the ante, that's a different story, then I want my money's worth, like all that good stuff you'd want out of the original games.

Except DMC1. I only want three things to change from DMC1.

LoneRangerNinjutsu

The Man Without Fear!
I'm interested in how the releases are going to be timed. Releasing the two simultaneously seems ludicrous, and simply asking for trouble. However, judging from the footage (or lack of footage), DMC4:SE is farther along down the line for a release than DmC: Definitive Edition, which I believe was confirmed to release in March this year. However, I'm sure Capcom will release DMC4:SE during 2015.

The question is: how much is done on it? When did they start making it? DmC: Definitive Edition seems almost done, just awaiting release, but DMC4:SE boasts a lot of new content that extends beyond simple tweaks and rebalances; a whole new character is in it after all! Vergil, no less. And who knows? This might not just be Vergil from DMC3 tacked onto DMC4, his combat may have been largely expanded, he may be included in the game's story, and if the new vocal recording (if it is new that is) that plays in that little announcement video ("I need more power!") is anything to go by, his inclusion could extend beyond a simple cameo in the game's plot, it may delve far deeper.

Top Bottom