• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante walking into a bar

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014

The "New 52" got rid of the embarrassing underwear design that most of the superheroes had and opted for something less flamboyant.

The Bat of Steel (Superbat?)

man-of-steel-fan-art.jpg

^^ (I know this picture isn't "officially" a part of the "New 52", I'm just using this picture as an another example of superheroes "toning it down")

Nolan's and Burton's Batmen wear black so that they can blend into the night (so you wouldn't see much of it anyway due to darkness). The armor in the Nolan movies is very similar to swat armor, so that's a big difference right htere.

Burton's film deliberately took that tone to tone down the camp.

batusicom.jpg

Old Dunte doin' the "Batutsi" (that was the actual name of the dance used in the show) while talking about "whippin' it out".

Bryan Singer's X-Men wore all black as well.

In the movie, when Wolverine asked "We actually go outside in these things?" Cyclops answered, "What would you prefer, yellow spandex?"

That right there was trolling the fans who hated the black costumes and wanted the original tights on their heroes. Marvel forums back then weren't as widely used then as they are now, so the backlash didn't quite reach the heights of today's butthurt.

Speaking of which...

When Burton's Batman was announced, people started a petition back in '88 to get Michael Keaton off the role as Batman. It didn't happen. And he returned for the sequel as well.

So, while people may whine and scream about how DmC Dante is "this-or-that", I'll tell them this:

DmC happened.

DMC5 might come out anyway, but DmC will forever remain in the hearts it's supporters everywhere.

And that, is something that will never change, no matter how many copies it sold.

"Devils Never Die"

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I think you're missing something important, superheros don't wear their costumes 24/7. They dress like average people outside of their crime fighting lives, because they are human beings, their costumes are a means of hiding their identity. Even those in the films like the Avengers, Spiderman, Fantastic 4, Iron Man, Catwoman Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Daredevil wear normal clothes. The only guy that comes to mind who doesn't take off his costume is Doctor Manhatten from Watchman, and that's because he doesn't wear clothes o_o

That's why Chronicle got brought up before, they are people with supernatural powers, but through the film they don't use their gifts for doing the usual superhero thing we see in Marval. The only time any one of them comes close to dressing up is Andrew when he puts on a fireman outfit.

chronicle_review.jpg

And need I bring up this show that's pretty much about the same thing.
heros-group-team-together.jpg

Even so, shows and films like Chronicle and Heros are in similar but different boats to Marval.

I see your point but its pointless cause I really don't remember or even see why were having this discussion anyway.

I really don't see the point for I never seen people who dress like DmC Dante or DmC Vergil.

Plus we have celebrities wear odd stuff...

nicki-minaj-harajuku-girl-outfit-2004.jpeg
lady-gaga-crazy-outfit.jpg

This
Dante_4.png
practically seems normal (if you remove the sword).

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Dunte's not a celebrity (not in his DMC universe, anyway).

Actually he is...not in a media kind of sense but tons of people and demons know about him and in the DMC3 manga is rather famous in certain cities by humans and in DMC1 Trish referred to him as someone that is well known and his name/business is in the phone book. I mean he is no stranger to the overall public so he is rather a guy who a lot of people know about and call him for help/jobs.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I really don't see the point for I never seen people who dress like DmC Dante or DmC Vergil.

Vergil can be excused because he's got wealth to make up for why he dresses more stylish than a peacock, but all DmC Dante wears is a jacket, a white shirt, some boots and pair of jeans.

You honestly expect me to believe nobody wears jeans, a shirt and a jacket together?

redskins.jpg

draft_lens19051561module156311097photo_1326318533black-leather-coat.jpg

men%E2%80%99s-long-leather-coats.jpg

12879318-casual-young-man-in-white-t-shirt-leather-jacket-and-jeans-isolated-on-white.jpg

joe-jonas-ever-jeans.jpeg

men%E2%80%99s-long-leather-coats-ideas-682x1024.jpg

109628601_541.jpg

biko-leather-jacket.jpg

4514882_max.jpg

Leather-clothing-2012-sheepskin-down-coat-long-design-down-Men-s-Jacket-genuine-leather-men-s.jpg

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I respect your opinion. I also got a opinion: I say he wudnt get laughed.

But my and your opinion aside:
Dante is a video game character. He was never made to be in a contemporary setting. Neither was he made to reflect contemporary world.

He is a video game character. Bottomline.
He was placed into a fantasy gothic world with barely any humans in society other than Trish.
**** did anyone see anyone else except for Trish in DMC 1 (besides Mundus minions)?

Dante is not Nathan Drake or Adam Wake.

So how was Tameem's point of Dante not "fitting" into a contemporary setting a valid when you consider that Dante 1) is a videogame character 2) and was made to live in a fantasy gothic modern world ?

His point isn't valid. It's invalid as ****. By his logic i could say "War from Darksiders would not fit a contemporary setting therefor he needed to be changed" and
my point would be valid. HELL NO its not.

Dante was made to stand out.

But i bet you that if Dante lived in a contemporary setting even with his herritage and white hair - he would fit into the setting.

Here is a more "causal" Dante. Yes i know he looks metrosexual but thats besides the point:
wg-devil-may-cry-2-1.jpg

Wow a normal looking Dante! Impossible!

And here is a picture of Leon from RE:
67f8835dcb2c5eb670a5c57cf0892062.jpg

Does Leon and Dante in that picture look like they might from same setting? HELL YES!
The only thing i raise my eyebrow at is:
1) Dante's white hair (unsual for realistic setting games): But again Dante is a videogame character. And even DmC Dante has white hair all over his head.

2) Dante looks metrosexual (its mostly the scarfs fault lol!)

So again it's absoutely bullshit that Dante wouldn't fit into a contemporary setting. His hair would stand out, but in our world there are people with many odd or different appearance.

His point about Dante not fitting into a contemporary or western setting (the setting DmC Dante is in now) is completely bullshit.
And Dante getting laughed out in a bar...he didn't express it as opinion so i think he was arrogant.

But when it comes to you and me Dragon, its opinion vs opinion.
Dante can fit into a contemporary setting. DmC proved that and if anything DmC is the most distinct and creative Devil May Cry out of the bunch. Your point is not whether Dante can work in a more contemporary setting, it's that you think Dante should just stay in the Castlevania inspired anime world because you just want it that way. Did DmC not work? Considering everything that went in to the creation of that world it's safe to say this is Devil May Cry if it didn't try to be a generic anime. Whether or not you like the change or not, you can't say that DmC didn't work because it did.

For your point to hold relevance it would have to have different aspects that would look jarring and out of place. DmC had a distinct vision and it succeeded in that. Taking it in a different direction is not the same thing as saying it didn't work. You're just pointing out the look YOU prefer. Quit beating around the bush and just be honest.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Really....I don't see the similarities. Maybe its the jacket since nothing like it exist as far as I can see.

commission__dmc_reboot_dante_by_antiquity_dreams-d5mnbeq.jpg

I guess nobody wears chaps anymore.

cowboys-chaps-thumb3433840.jpg
attachment.php

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
How about you guys just dress up like the original Dante does and just go walk around in public sporting his attitude. Then get back to me and tell me how cool people think you are. There's a reason why no one outside of an anime convention will dress up like Dante. That guy's point is stupid because Dante would get laughed out of ANY bar he walked in to in any part of the world. No one in freaking Tokyo dresses like Dante. Sorry to burst your bubble but Japan isn't a wonderland of anime and cosplay.

DmC Dante's look is more punk and people out there do sport a sense of style like that. Doesn't mean it will save them from their fair share of stares because of the world we live in but the difference is if I saw a DmC Dante walking the streets it might seem a little out there but it's passable considering the kind of style that is. Seeing a DMC Dante walking the street I would probably tell him the anime convention is back that way dude, you lost?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I'll just leave this here. (;

See? It does look awkward in real life.

GET OVER IT. :mad:

Edit:
How about you guys just dress up like the original Dante does and just go walk around in public sporting his attitude. Then get back to me and tell me how cool people think you are. There's a reason why no one outside of an anime convention will dress up like Dante.

That's what I've been saying!!

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
How about you guys just dress up like the original Dante does and just go walk around in public sporting his attitude. Then get back to me and tell me how cool people think you are. There's a reason why no one outside of an anime convention will dress up like Dante. That guy's point is stupid because Dante would get laughed out of ANY bar he walked in to in any part of the world. No one in freaking Tokyo dresses like Dante. Sorry to burst your bubble but Japan isn't a wonderland of anime and cosplay.

DmC Dante's look is more punk and people out there do sport a sense of style like that. Doesn't mean it will save them from their fair share of stares because of the world we live in but the difference is if I saw a DmC Dante walking the streets it might seem a little out there but it's passable considering the kind of style that is. Seeing a DMC Dante walking the street I would probably tell him the anime convention is back that way dude, you lost?
I think you are right. The problem is, DMC Dante's style just stands out too much. Not that there aren't other people who dress in an uncommon way, but the point is just that, their way of dressing is UNCOMMON. He would stand out in a crowd of normally dressed people.
As for DmC Dante's, well, maybe you can question his coat, but certainly not what he wears underneath it. That's pretty common.
DmC Vergil, again, just a pretty uncommon coat (the embroidery is the problem), and he sure would stand out because of this, more than DmC Dante for sure. And he carries a sword. That may be an exaggeration.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Anyone remember that one scene in the DMC3 manga where Vergil walked by a group of thugs who taunted him.

devil-may-cry-3-1644966.jpg

If there's someone as powerful as Dante out there, you can be sure that there's someone as powerful as Vergil.
He had never tried to do that with someone who could beat him... until he met Mundus. After that, ended up becoming Mundus' slave after foolishly challenging him.

Why would an exact duplicate exist?

41cs3VKMiqL.jpg

And breaking news, Dante isn't a cowboy.

That's right.

He's a homosexual cowboy. :troll:

NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT. :blink:

And that jacket up there... I have to make a note to get one just like it. :w00t:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Why would an exact duplicate exist? Just like Kat's sweater or Lilith's dress? Everything has a style of fashion.
men_14.jpg

9629_P_1313398400422.jpg

red-and-black-gothic-vampire-style-punk-jacket-for-women.jpg

Brad_Pitt_Fight_Club_Black_Leather_Jacket_05.jpg

asimmons_gl_12feb13_rexfeatures_b_592x888.jpg

41cs3VKMiqL.jpg

Tyler Durden is one of the only dudes who can wear a tacky shirt and red leather jacket and still be a total badass. I LOVE Fight Club.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Why would an exact duplicate exist? Just like Kat's sweater or Lilith's dress? Everything has a style of fashion.
men_14.jpg

9629_P_1313398400422.jpg

red-and-black-gothic-vampire-style-punk-jacket-for-women.jpg

Brad_Pitt_Fight_Club_Black_Leather_Jacket_05.jpg

asimmons_gl_12feb13_rexfeatures_b_592x888.jpg

41cs3VKMiqL.jpg

I like the last one.

PS. You don't have to be a cowboy to dress like one. I guess I must be a nurse to dress like one for Halloween.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Really....I don't see the similarities. Maybe its the jacket since nothing like it exist as far as I can see.

commission__dmc_reboot_dante_by_antiquity_dreams-d5mnbeq.jpg

I guess nobody wears chaps anymore.

cowboys-chaps-thumb3433840.jpg
attachment.php
That example for chaps is also very silly. I'm guessing the first picture is from a rodeo and the 2nd one is obviously a Halloween costume. When I see people sporting a country cowboy look in public they are usually wearing jeans dude.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I like the last one.

PS. You don't have to be a cowboy to dress like one. I guess I must be a nurse to dress like one for Halloween.
So Classic Dante was dressing up this whole time? O_O Halloween you meanie.

And my point was you don't see many people walking around in cowboy pants. There's only a few places in the world that would be most common.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I like the last one.

But would you dress like a nurse to just make a trip to get some milk from the store? Again a very weak example. When it's Halloween we went to Wal-Mart to pick up some soft drinks for a Halloween party that night and we walked in wearing our costumes. I looked like this.
391752_300314333412254_1370453170_n.jpg

Can I get away with this on any other day without being questioned why in public?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
So Classic Dante was dressing up this whole time? O_O Halloween you meanie.

And my point was you don't see many people walking around in cowboy pants. There's only a few places in the world that would be most common.

That's right. The only place where you would see people wearing chaps is at a rodeo. And that's only because it's required safety gear.

It's like wearing a hard hat outside of a construction site...

Village+People.jpg

"He's homophobic. Get 'im!" :mad:

Edit:

But would you dress like a nurse to just make a trip to get some milk from the store? Again a very weak example. When it's Halloween we went to Wal-Mart to pick up some soft drinks for a Halloween party that night and we walked in wearing our costumes. I looked like this.
391752_300314333412254_1370453170_n.jpg

Can I get away with this on any other day without being questioned why in public?

Dude, that's just sick. Wish I had a costume like that.

Top Bottom