• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Capcom Halves Forcast: Blames "Excessive Outsourcing"

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
But I can't help but wonder.

How do you know what's going to be on the game? They obviously don't reveal all of the content immediately, so how do you know for a fact regardless of research, that they didn't rip something out before release?

Even without the fear of content being stripped for DLC the average length of a game now-a-days is not enough for me to warrant the price spent on them so I need something more than the single experience of beating that game.
I typically base my purchases on if I enjoy a certain gameplay experience that I can easily come back to again and again. I can easily tell when viewing released content for games (except teaser trailers obviously) whether a game will appeal to me in this regard.

Basically the point I'm trying to get at is the sorts of things typically stripped for DLC (costumes, story additions, game modes etc) aren't typically what I look for in a game so am not affected much by their loss. This is also one of the reasons the backtracking in DMC4 for example does not bother me at all.

I can completely sympathise with gamers who feel and are robbed by practices like this, it is a very greedy and low way to make money. But like I said the things removed for DLC are usually not things that I look for in games and am therfore not affected much by them.
I never said I agree with things like removed content or on-disk DLC. There is still DLC made post production and I have no problem with that as either a gamer or consumer.

IncarnatedDemon

So you mean to tell me I can sell you a half of a disc without telling you and force you to buy the other one if you want the entire content of the game?

How do you know I didn't take that half out right before releasing the game?

DLC sure is wonderful.
DLC mentality "I don´t care".

I didn´t pay 60 dollars for DmC. Considering the functionality of DmC and not being as good as past games i think it´s worth roughly 35 dollars.

And i sure aint going to pay 60 dollars for Metal Gear Rising that had issues and bad gamedesigns, plus buy a highly possible "taken out of game" content called "JetStream Sam" for additional 10 dollars.

**** that.

Use your logic people to determine suspicious DLC. Here are things to consider when evaluating DLC:

1) Is the content for most part recycled from main game?
2) Has this gameplay existed before? GAMEPLAY that is
3) How long after main game release was DLC released? 6 months is MY "seal of approval" for DLC though there are exceptions to this rule.
4) Was the DLC announced before or after main game release?

5) Is there ALOT of new things in the DLC? STORY and GAMEPLAY wise.
6) Is there signs of lazyness? e.g DmC VD cartoonish cutscenes

If the result you get is:
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. few months after main game
4. announced before game release
5. not much new things
6. Yes there are some

Then you got yourself a "money grabber" of a "dlc" i.e your being sold content that they withheld for maaaney.

So with that said:
DmC VD and MGR: JetStream Sam

>> Seems like withheld content.
Especially Jetstream.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
They need to realise the CoD Western sales figures niche has already been filled, and that a good game deserves good sales, but a bloated or unnecessary game doesn't and probably won't get them

Terrutas

They need to realise the CoD Western sales figures niche has already been filled, and that a good game deserves good sales, but a bloated or unnecessary game doesn't and probably won't get them
That and that there's a good reason we're playing their games and not CoD.

Because if the CoD thing was universal, we wouldn't be playing their games now would we? Because we're just dumb casual gamers who want the same content rehashed over and over.

Cabbage Detective

Cabbages <3
That and that there's a good reason we're playing their games and not CoD.

Because if the CoD thing was universal, we wouldn't be playing their games now would we? Because we're just dumb casual gamers who want the same content rehashed over and over.
same sh*tty content*

IncarnatedDemon

How much did DmC sell?

And RE selling 5M is a obvious disappointment for Capcom because:
1) they wanted DmC to sell 5M, which wasnt their biggest brand (RE is)

So what did they want for RE? prolly 10m

Hence they made it FPS like

Call of Duty bitch. Obvious they thought this. Look at Megaman FPS that was cancelled or RE 6 being a gameplay rebooted Resident Evil (survival horror).

IncarnatedDemon

0.69 million on vgchartz. I wonder when Capcom will show some official numbers. They just lowered projected sales again, to 1,15 million right now.
Vgchartz isnt a reliable source it seems. But let´s ASSUME that DmC sold 0.8m ok?

0.8 vs Motion capture expenses = Minus profit?

1.5m Heavenly sword sales wasnt enuff for breaking even.

So imagine how much DmC must have cost.

Martius

SSSmokin!
Vgchartz isnt a reliable source it seems. But let´s ASSUME that DmC sold 0.8m ok?
I know that, i doubt we will get any official numbers expect Capcom.
I am not sure if Capcom is losing money because of DmC. I suppose they are just earing a lot less than they have expected.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
For a moment, let us put aside the arguement over "DmC vs DMC". Let us put aside the fans vs anti divisions and look at this as just capcom as a whole...on the hole. DmC is hardly the cause of their total losses; Capcom's own egofilled overbearing arrogance that they can just take over a market is. They honestly thought that doing a new DMC five years after the last entry, which while selling decently, garnered failing reactions from the player base, was going to aim over 2 million units sold, let alone the 5 mill they initially suggested as their projections. They seriously consider 5 million units sold a BAD sales record for a game that has indeed turned off the fanbase...yet again. Why? Well, in RE6's case, it's because they changed the entire gameplay format into an attempt to copy the current FPS craze. It Backfired. They had NT reboot a franchise that had lay fallow for five years in the spotlight, created a marketing ideal of stirring up controversy with insulting the player base(Capcom's idea no less to do so), and while the product was enjoyable, the methods to promote it were idiotic and insulting.

CAPCOM'S overall decisions brought this on them, not the outsourcing. It had worked just fine, if not beautifully for the Metroid Prime Series, after all. What did Capcom do wrong? Oh, right. Consider their customers idiot gits who with throw money at anything.

AlchemistFromEden

DLC mentality "I don´t care".

I didn´t pay 60 dollars for DmC. Considering the functionality of DmC and not being as good as past games i think it´s worth roughly 35 dollars.

And i sure aint going to pay 60 dollars for Metal Gear Rising that had issues and bad gamedesigns, plus buy a highly possible "taken out of game" content called "JetStream Sam" for additional 10 dollars.

**** that.

Use your logic people to determine suspicious DLC. Here are things to consider when evaluating DLC:

1) Is the content for most part recycled from main game?
2) Has this gameplay existed before? GAMEPLAY that is
3) How long after main game release was DLC released? 6 months is MY "seal of approval" for DLC though there are exceptions to this rule.
4) Was the DLC announced before or after main game release?

5) Is there ALOT of new things in the DLC? STORY and GAMEPLAY wise.
6) Is there signs of lazyness? e.g DmC VD cartoonish cutscenes

If the result you get is:
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. few months after main game
4. announced before game release
5. not much new things
6. Yes there are some

Then you got yourself a "money grabber" of a "dlc" i.e your being sold content that they withheld for maaaney.

So with that said:
DmC VD and MGR: JetStream Sam

>> Seems like withheld content.
Especially Jetstream.
I'm pretty sure you don't know how dlc works and the amount of time and money game development takes even for short expansions

8BitHero

Scrub
I think this is a great turning point. Maybe Capcom will finally get their shi- together and stop conning the fanbase. I'm not going to say this is a direct cause of screwing over the fanbase but I guarantee they lost a crap ton of sales due to their BS business practices.

Capcom made excuses for UMvC3 selling terribly. When no, it's because we're not stupid. We realise you made the game bare bones at first and are then suddenly surprised only 5 months later you're making a retail release out of -what-should've-been-DLC and THEN(to make it worse) that game(UMvC3) having it's own locked content. They then blamed other gaming companies for over saturation of the fighting game market. When they themselves released nearly 10 update iterations and a couple of new fighting games within the span of 2 years(at the time that article was posted).

The same can be said for games like SFxT which had DLC scams everywhere. Us consumers wisened up to this business practices and stopped buying their games. They lost sales due to their own cause. They've blamed other companies for something they didn't do and they blame fans for sticking up for consumer rights. Haha Capcom.

8BitHero

Scrub
You know what would be hilariously awesome?

If people were to discuss this on capcom-unity. Right in their face, I say!
When SFxT came out, a crap ton of people(including myself) did on Capcom-Unity and were banned. In the article I posted, even the fighting game players think Capcom are taking ****.

Top Bottom